BMW 2 Series Forums (G42) G42 2-Series General Topics

01-02-2024, 06:39 PM   #1
THDRNIGHT
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M240i

Smile M240i Dislikes

Hello!

It's been around 6 months since I took ownership of my 2023 BMW M240i and it's been a wild ride. I thought I'd take some time to go over my personal dislikes of the vehicle and I'd like to hear others thoughts as well. Please note, this is not a hate post, I absolutely love the car and wouldn't choose any other vehicle, this is simply for discussion and feedback.

Cons

- Shutting the door of the vehicle can be a little hard at times for someone who doesn't want their car door slammed or damaged or for someone who wants to preserve their vehicle as much as possible, I find that due to the weight of the door and it's length, it's tough to softly close the door in most situations.

- The climate control (while visually pleasing within the infotainment) is tough to use while driving, I prefer physical buttons or knobs, one of my biggest grips about the climate control in iDrive 8 is the fact that you're setting a specific degree (either hot or cold), I'm not sure what BMW was thinking when designing the UI but I don't think anyone would ever say "I want to be 27.5 degrees hot.", I think having a couple options such as low, medium, or high would be preferred instead of specific temperatures.

- The windshield wipers don't extend to the full length (horizontally) of the window, therefore, it's often dirty on the edges of the window, nothing a quick wipe can't fix.

- The button to release the trunk hatch is kind of useless in my opinion as the trunk is not automatic, I don't see much of a point in unlocking the hatch with the key fob or the drivers side button.

- When in sport mode and slamming the pedal, or just driving semi-fast, the car doesn't shift as fast as it should, often leading to really high rpms before the shift, therefore, you need to rely on the paddle shifters a lot for faster driving.

- I was disappointed when I discovered that purple is no longer an ambient lighting option in the 2023 models, I really wanted Thundernight Metallic paint with purple ambient light but it's not possible without third-party coding. I don't know why BMW would remove this color or not just give us full rgb control, on top of this, the ambient lights are a bit dim.

- When using Apple Car Play with low fuel, you need to press the next or previous button on the steering wheel twice in order to switch songs, I believe this is because it dismisses the warning first, however, I'm sure this can be switched off somewhere in the settings but I haven't bothered to look around.
Appreciate 1
      01-03-2024, 01:04 PM   #2
Bandit009
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by THDRNIGHT View Post
Hello!

It's been around 6 months since I took ownership of my 2023 BMW M240i and it's been a wild ride. I thought I'd take some time to go over my personal dislikes of the vehicle and I'd like to hear others thoughts as well. Please note, this is not a hate post, I absolutely love the car and wouldn't choose any other vehicle, this is simply for discussion and feedback.

Cons

- Shutting the door of the vehicle can be a little hard at times for someone who doesn't want their car door slammed or damaged or for someone who wants to preserve their vehicle as much as possible, I find that due to the weight of the door and it's length, it's tough to softly close the door in most situations.

- The climate control (while visually pleasing within the infotainment) is tough to use while driving, I prefer physical buttons or knobs, one of my biggest grips about the climate control in iDrive 8 is the fact that you're setting a specific degree (either hot or cold), I'm not sure what BMW was thinking when designing the UI but I don't think anyone would ever say "I want to be 27.5 degrees hot.", I think having a couple options such as low, medium, or high would be preferred instead of specific temperatures.

- The windshield wipers don't extend to the full length (horizontally) of the window, therefore, it's often dirty on the edges of the window, nothing a quick wipe can't fix.

- The button to release the trunk hatch is kind of useless in my opinion as the trunk is not automatic, I don't see much of a point in unlocking the hatch [...]
The weight of the car;
The lack of steering feel;
The “thump” sound when using sport dampening;
Sunroof not opening fully
Appreciate 1
THDRNIGHT101.00
      01-03-2024, 04:18 PM   #3
Evilmoretea
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 2 Series (G42)

I don’t like that I have to look at the back of other, boring cars whilst everyone else gets to enjoy the view of my Thundernight 2 series coupe.
Appreciate 14
      01-03-2024, 05:58 PM   #4
ThunderM240
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilmoretea View Post
I don’t like that I have to look at the back of other, boring cars whilst everyone else gets to enjoy the view of my Thundernight 2 series coupe.
I got to follow one yesterday for the first time....Car does look fine from the rear !! Not sure if the driver took a long look in the rear view mirror at mine....I wouldn't mind that view either 😁
2003 325i
Appreciate 1
      01-03-2024, 06:02 PM   #5
Evilmoretea
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderM240 View Post
I got to follow one yesterday for the first time....Car does look fine from the rear !! Not sure if the driver took a long look in the rear view mirror at mine....I wouldn't mind that view either 😁
Yeah they do look fantastic when you get to see them.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2024, 06:48 PM   #6
Bandit009
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilmoretea View Post
Yeah they do look fantastic when you get to see them.
The long hood with the power dome and they didn’t bastardize the grill. Also, larger rear quarter panels show nice.
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
      01-03-2024, 11:17 PM   #7
hxrly
Rep
Drives: '23 M240ix

For my 2023 with xDrive:

The main dislike is the weight, this car weighs as much as a F32 440i xDrive.

No lane-centering driving available (opposed to just lane-keeping warning/input), both my F150 and GTI have these and work flawlessly.

Haven't found the way to permanently disable start/stop.

The runflats are terrible, replacing the tires is the one upgrade I'm most looking forward to do.

The car is too quiet even with an aftermarket catted downpipe.

Noise coming from the rear suspension, already a thread going on it.

I wish I could have option it without a sunroof.

Wish it had: an oil dipstick, e-brake handle, shifter knob like on the 2022 car.

Otherwise there's a lot to like about the car. I understand where the heft comes from, BMW listening to their owners, making the car more refined and adding a bunch of noise insulation. The problem is that the 2-series is supposed to be the fun one, and adding weight is a sure wait to kill that fun factor. Even the M2 got really heavy, those days of pointing at Mustang owners and laughing at their heavy 3800+ lbs cars are gone.

Past: F30 340i, C5 Z06, C7 Z51, Fiesta ST, Explorer ST, FA24 BRZ, SVT Focus, NA Miata (x2), 2.7L F150 (x4), Mk5 - Mk8 GTI (x8)
Appreciate 3
Jashue202.50
MPR1818.50
THDRNIGHT101.00
      01-04-2024, 01:41 AM   #8
WA
G42 B58 C56
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M240i

Overall very pleased, but my dislikes ...
  • Weight/Length - I drove a 230i XDrive as a loaner recently and even though it’s only listed as 227lb lighter than my M240i XDrive, it surprisingly felt substantially lighter. And in general wish the car was 6-8 inches shorter, but with it being based on the same platform as the 3/4 Series probably couldn't get much shorter.
  • Long, heavy doors - The unframed windows contributing to the heavy, but less than solid feeling.
  • OEM Navigation cannot be set to stay in night/dark mode all the time … like my 2013 MINI could.
  • Climate Controls - Being touchscreen only except the front/rear defogger buttons.
  • Wireless Charging Tray - Cannot be turned off/on via iDrive like my (now departed) 2023 X1 could do ... so you can store the phone there when you don't want/need the charging/cooking. Also the charger is not ventilated, like my 2023 X1 also had.
  • Key Fob - Can only assign one key to your BMW ID.
  • Ambient Lighting – Besides Emerald Green, mostly poor color options. How many white/off white options does someone need while not having purple or a true red? And the Ambient Lighting in general is very weak (even at highest brightness) compared to my 2023 X1, which was strong/sharp day or night.
  • Gloss Black - Anything gloss black really. But specifically the large gloss black section over the center vents and glove box, that I have now replaced with the OEM “M Performance Interior Trims in Carbon Fiber/Alcantara.”
  • iDrive UI - In general pretty poor from a design standpoint, but its issues are greatly mitigated by the proper iDrive Controller and associated buttons. Without those controls (so touchscreen only) like in my departed 2023 X1, it’s a train wreck of bad design.
  • Voice Control - Failure ridden gimmick. But unfortunately this failure is always an excuse for removing physical buttons.
  • My BMW App - No alerts/notifications. Volvo's app for example would send you an alert if you left the car unlocked for X number of minutes (I think it was 20 minutes.)
Appreciate 2
nype139.50
THDRNIGHT101.00
      01-04-2024, 02:58 AM   #9
GavinK
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 525

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit009 View Post
;
Sunroof not opening fully
I was going to add the sunroof option to my build so can you tell me s bit more about this - do you mean it only slides say half way? Does it tilt? Is there a 'roof-panel' to close out the sunroof and does this slide with the glass, or can it be removed?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2024, 08:55 AM   #10
Bandit009
Lieutenant
Rep

[QUOTE=GavinK;30783336]I was going to add the sunroof option to my build so can you tell me s bit more about this - do you mean it only slides say half way? Does it tilt? Is there a 'roof-panel' to close out the sunroof and does this slide with the glass, or can it be removed?

Thanks.

1) only slides halfway into roof. With my older BMW the glass fully retracted. When the sunroof is closed the amount of glass is larger than my prior BMW. However, when retracted the 240i only retracts about 1/2 way.

2) yes, the sunroof tilts
3) yes there is a “roof panel” that can be retracted and closed separately from the sunroof.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2024, 12:20 PM   #11
Jashue
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 B58 G42

Quote:
Originally Posted by hxrly View Post
For my 2023 with xDrive:

No lane-centering driving available (opposed to just lane-keeping warning/input), both my F150 and GTI have these and work flawlessly.

Good contribution. All points valid. The ones that stick out for me are these two.

I ordered my 2022 with lane assist even though I knew full well that I wouldn't be using it that much. When I have tried it, I found it to be next to useless. A warning isn't activated until you are practically off the road! Two cars ago, I had an Accord Touring that kept me perfectly centered on the road— and for those rare times when I needed it, it was absolutely AWESOME.

Don't even get me started on the rear suspension noise— if that's indeed what it is. No one seems to know. Is it the dampers? Is it the rear deck? It blows my mind, and there's not a day that goes by when it doesn't aggravate me. Sounds like a tiny Kyrie Irving dribbling a basketball inside a wooden box in my trunk. I thought I'd get used to it. Nope. I brought it to the dealer sometime last year. Drove it with the service manager and neither of us could hear anything on that occasion. Of course I heard it on the way home...
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2024, 01:44 PM   #12
Bandit009
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jashue View Post
Good contribution. All points valid. The ones that stick out for me are these two.

I ordered my 2022 with lane assist even though I knew full well that I wouldn't be using it that much. When I have tried it, I found it to be next to useless. A warning isn't activated until you are practically off the road! Two cars ago, I had an Accord Touring that kept me perfectly centered on the road— and for those rare times when I needed it, it was absolutely AWESOME.

Don't even get me started on the rear suspension noise— if that's indeed what it is. No one seems to know. Is it the dampers? Is it the rear deck? It blows my mind, and there's not a day that goes by when it doesn't aggravate me. Sounds like a tiny Kyrie Irving dribbling a basketball inside a wooden box in my trunk. I thought I'd get used to it. Nope. I brought it to the dealer sometime last year. Drove it with the service manager and neither of us could hear anything on that occasion. Of course I heard it on the way home...
I think it is kind of a resonance, like a drum effect created by the rear parcel shelf. If you tap on the parcel shelf firmly and quickly you can pretty closely replicate the thumbing sound. I know one poster here mentioned they installed sound deadening material and that helped alot. That makes sense to me. Unfortunately it’s not a quick repair.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2024, 02:07 PM   #13
Pentland
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i (G42)

Quote:
BMW have had temperature in degrees for decades now - and it’s not a unique feature to BMW.
I like it - currently sitting at 21.5c and in summer I’m usually at 17.5c.

I thought I’d be fussed about virtual buttons but climate control is usually set and forget for me.

I do miss the fresh air mix dial that previous models had though.

Quote:
- The button to release the trunk hatch is kind of useless in my opinion as the trunk is not automatic, I don't see much of a point in unlocking the hatch with the key fob or the drivers side button.
Again, been a feature of BMWs and other marques for years. I guess it may originally have been a “security feature” but now it’s hand not to wake the car up and start the radio etc when you just want to chuck stuff in the boot.

Quote:
- I was disappointed when I discovered that purple is no longer an ambient lighting option in the 2023 models, I really wanted Thundernight Metallic paint with purple ambient light but it's not possible without third-party coding. I don't know why BMW would remove this color or not just give us full rgb control, on top of this, the ambient lights are a bit dim.
Ambient lighting is another feature while fun, is usually set to one colour. Just wish the has the BMW sport orange.

Quote:
For my 2023 with xDrive:

May be because it’s as big as an F32!

I honestly think, if they didn’t publish the weight no one would really care. It’s still what? 220bhp per tonne? It’s not as I’ve you have to physically push it.

Quote:

I don’t understand the need for that feature if you can drive.

Quote:

People get very hung up on this.

Quote:

The runflats are terrible, replacing the tires is the one upgrade I'm most looking forward to do.
Yup. Glad I got the ZTK option.

Quote:

And the sport seats

Quote:

Wish it had: an oil dipstick, e-brake handle, shifter knob like on the 2022 car.
Very rare I use the handbrake so happy with it. Thought I’d miss the longer gearstick but I only use it to select forward and back so not missed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WA View Post
Overall very pleased, but my dislikes ...

[*]Wireless Charging Tray - Cannot be turned off/on via iDrive like my (now departed) 2023 X1 could do ... so you can store the phone there when you don't want/need the charging/cooking. Also the charger is not ventilated, like my 2023 X1 also had.
If you flip your phone over, does it still charge?

Quote:

[*]Key Fob - Can only assign one key to your BMW ID.
You can select a different profile in the idrive but the idea is each driver has their own BMW id and key They are also trying to promote virtual keys.

Quote:

[*]Gloss Black - Anything gloss black really. But specifically the large gloss black section over the center vents and glove box, that I have now replaced with the OEM “M Performance Interior Trims in Carbon Fiber/Alcantara.”
PPFd mine. Stops fingerprints too!

Quote:
[*]iDrive UI - In general pretty poor from a design standpoint, but its issues are greatly mitigated by the proper iDrive Controller and associated buttons. Without those controls (so touchscreen only) like in my departed 2023 X1, it’s a train wreck of bad design.

[*]Voice Control - Failure ridden gimmick. But unfortunately this failure is always an excuse for removing physical buttons.
The two come in hand in hand. I find the voice control very good but it’s very slow. They should up date the two joke it can tell too

I guess I should add my gripes to the thread…

Front seats are glacially slow in moving when accessing the rear seats.

The idrive sometimes defaults to the nav screen from the map screen on start up. The side menu options don’t always disappear.
I’ve also noticed the radio sometimes reverts to all stations rather than maintaining saved stations as the prime selection.

Idrive display is too bright at night.

HUD should sit a little lower on the windscreen

No internal boot release button or foot slip opening option.

Standard M badges in front seats are tacky. I’ve replaced with the illuminated M badges
Seat backs are plastic tat. I’ve replaced mine with alcantera / carbon seat backs.
Standard floor mats are cheap rubbish.
Appreciate 2
THDRNIGHT101.00
PP3121359.00
      01-04-2024, 07:33 PM   #14
MPR
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 BMW M240i

The HUD isn’t perfectly centered, I should have cancelled my order on delivery day.
Appreciate 1
      01-04-2024, 07:50 PM   #15
GavinK
Registered
Rep

Quote:
For my 2023 with xDrive:
Can you explain why? I'm trying to decide whether to add it as an option or not (UK spec).
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2024, 08:23 PM   #16
THDRNIGHT
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M240i

Quote:
For my 2023 with xDrive:

The car is too quiet even with an aftermarket catted downpipe.

Otherwise there's a lot to like about the car. I understand where the heft comes from, BMW listening to their owners, making the car more refined and adding a bunch of noise insulation. The problem is that the 2-series is supposed to be the fun one, and adding weight is a sure wait to kill that fun factor. Even the M2 got really heavy, those days of pointing at Mustang owners and laughing at their heavy 3800+ lbs cars are gone.
Totally agree about the dipstick, luckily I optioned out the sunroof!
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2024, 02:06 AM   #17
Pentland
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GavinK View Post
Can you explain why? I'm trying to decide whether to add it as an option or not (UK spec).
I’ve had sunroof’s on most of my previous cars. Mainly to make the cabin lighter.
On the M240i, the sunroof doesn’t retract all the way back into the roof so you don’t get the whole open roof benefit. You also have to maintain them. If they are not regularly opened, they can gunk up. I just felt this time it was a cost more than it was worth.
(Oh and it adds weight )
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2024, 06:07 AM   #18
GavinK
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentland View Post
I’ve had sunroof’s on most of my previous cars. Mainly to make the cabin lighter.
On the M240i, the sunroof doesn’t retract all the way back into the roof so you don’t get the whole open roof benefit. You also have to maintain them. If they are not regularly opened, they can gunk up. I just felt this time it was a cost more than it was worth.
(Oh and it adds weight )
Thanks - does the extra light benefit the rear seats the most (I mean, if you you close the screen is there much impact to light in the front cabin space? I'll rarely be carrying passengers in the back so if the main benefit is there I'll be giving this option a miss.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2024, 09:05 AM   #19
Pentland
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GavinK View Post
Thanks - does the extra light benefit the rear seats the most (I mean, if you you close the screen is there much impact to light in the front cabin space? I'll rarely be carrying passengers in the back so if the main benefit is there I'll be giving this option a miss.
I don’t have the sunroof on the M240i but I would imagine, as the roof is right above the front seats, that’s who benefits most. I don’t find the car is dark without the sunroof.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2024, 09:21 AM   #20
oldbmwtech
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentland View Post
I don’t have the sunroof on the M240i but I would imagine, as the roof is right above the front seats, that’s who benefits most. I don’t find the car is dark without the sunroof.
Wish we had an option for sunroof delete in the states
This is only my opinion as I'm a retired professional ASE master grease monkey technician, now instructor. Your best teacher is your last mistake. Use what I post at your own risk as you know teachers only know book knowledge.
Appreciate 1
Jashue202.50
      01-05-2024, 01:29 PM   #21
Jashue
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 B58 G42

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbmwtech View Post
Wish we had an option for sunroof delete in the states
It's weird that we don't. They're all made in the same factory in San Luis Potosi, right? What's the difference?
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2024, 04:09 PM   #22
Evilmoretea
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPR View Post
The HUD isn’t perfectly centered, I should have cancelled my order on delivery day.
Haha that’s more of an Pentland comment right there
Appreciate 1
J-RO2098.50