BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BMW 2 Series Technical Topics (G42) Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

11-07-2022, 04:02 AM   #1
Bironf
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: audi S7

how to improve ground clearance on M240i xdrive?

Do anyone know if there are a set of spacers to improve ground clearance? (regular m240i xdrive got 128mm, I need around 160mm).
I know many people will try to reduce g.c. actually, but I don't track the car, neither I drive aggressively, but I need more lightness (I deleted rear seats and also planning lightweight exhaust and ceramic brakes) and clearance in my vehicle.
Also, do raised cars hold up well with time? I'm planning to keep this car (modified) for very long time.
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2022, 04:12 AM   #2
Rdurty2
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i

You mention you need to make the car lighter, but raising a car doesn’t make it lighter. What is the reason for wanting to raise it?

Raising the cars center of gravity will make handling worse, introduce more body sway, suspension will operate worse as it’s not designed for it as well.

Also if you don’t track or drive aggressive why go through all the effort/trouble to make the car lighter?

The car is already super heavy for what it is. Shaving off 100lbs isn’t going to make much difference.

There are coil overs available for our car but I doubt they go higher than stock.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2022, 01:58 PM   #3
Bironf
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdurty2 View Post
You mention you need to make the car lighter, but raising a car doesn’t make it lighter. What is the reason for wanting to raise it?

Raising the cars center of gravity will make handling worse, introduce more body sway, suspension will operate worse as it’s not designed for it as well.

Also if you don’t track or drive aggressive why go through all the effort/trouble to make the car lighter?

The car is already super heavy for what it is. Shaving off 100lbs isn’t going to make much difference.

There are coil overs available for our car but I doubt they go higher than stock.
Well above average ground clearance is must for my roads so I need it.
Weight reduction is for fuel economy purpose also. I like enjoying a 3.6 seconds car (on 0-60 mph) and not so bad fuel economy at the same time.

But I really need to improve that ground clearance at least 1.5 inches.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2022, 04:32 AM   #4
Rdurty2
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i

1.5 inches?!

Sorry to say but if you need that much then you bought the wrong car. To get that you will need to trade it in for something different that comes with that clearance stock.
Appreciate 3
      11-09-2022, 07:19 PM   #5
MPR
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 BMW M240i

I agree, I'd look for a replacement car as lifting the 240 will make it look terrible and affect the handling that the engineers designed the car for..

Maybe check out the X3 M40i
Appreciate 1
Bironf11.50
      11-10-2022, 03:20 PM   #6
danallxt
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240x, 2007 Honda VFR

Quote:
Well above average ground clearance is must for my roads so I need it.
Weight reduction is for fuel economy purpose also
I cannot whatsoever figure out why someone needing a vehicle with well above average ground clearance would buy a vehicle with below average ground clearance???DUH???

And if you want a lighter vehicle, why buy a 4000 lb car? Ya want it lighter, remove the rear seats, remove the passenger seats, remove headliner, remove carpeting, sound sytem, speakers, replace glass with plexiglass/lexan etc....or buy a lighter vehicle...geesh...did ya buy this at gun point or what?

wondering if this is just a troll or what?
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2022, 08:10 PM   #7
Bironf
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by danallxt View Post
I cannot whatsoever figure out why someone needing a vehicle with well above average ground clearance would buy a vehicle with below average ground clearance???DUH???

And if you want a lighter vehicle, why buy a 4000 lb car? Ya want it lighter, remove the rear seats, remove the passenger seats, remove headliner, remove carpeting, sound sytem, speakers, replace glass with plexiglass/lexan etc....or buy a lighter vehicle...geesh...did ya buy this at gun point or what?

wondering if this is just a troll or what?
Why ferrari offer an hydraulic lift on their porky GTC4 Lusso V12 that improves g.c. from 4.9 to 6.5 inches?
Why porsche is introducing a 911 dakar trim?
Why will be available with carbon roof and lightweight options?
Different vehicles for different purposes make a vehicle polyhedric.
Please, spare me your idiocracy membership.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2022, 08:33 PM   #8
danallxt
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bironf View Post
Why ferrari offer an hydraulic lift on their porky GTC4 Lusso V12 that improves g.c. from 4.9 to 6.5 inches?
Why porsche is introducing a 911 dakar trim?
Why will be available with carbon roof and lightweight options?
Different vehicles for different purposes make a vehicle polyhedric.
Please, spare me your idiocracy membership.
I agree totally with the points you made.
Problem is the BMW 240 is not made for the purpose you wish so it seems a mismatch.

But since that is what you do have:
You need to re-engineer it.
You would need to take it to a specialty shop and have the front suspension (struts etc) totally custom engineered and made specifically for you, and of course the rear suspension as well custom built. That would likely add weight, but specialty machining with lightweight alloys could reduce it but then mega costs result.
Regardless cost would likely be considerable, but it would achieve what you want, anything is possible if you want to throw enough money at it. It would be something experimental for a specialty shop (if you can find one willing to do it), and the handling/roadworthyness might be in question.
So seriously if you have the money...good luck...It would be unique.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2022, 09:20 PM   #9
danallxt
Captain
United_States
Rep

And then along with the suspension mods (which you will need for additional suspension travel etc with the roads you are talking about), you would want to throw say 21 or 22 inch rims all around with a taller aspect tire (50 or 60) as you will want that additional "tire cushion" to help keep the rims from being damaged with bad roads, plus its giving you ground clearance. That should easily get you an additional 1.5 inch of lift with more generous suspension travel to go with it. The taller wheel tire combo will likely need some underbody panels massaged/modified for clearance but that's no biggie. The bigger wheels and taller tires unfortunately will add weight so you are fighting that again, if you jump up in the price range considerably you may get the taller rims/tire combo close or lighter than stock?
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2022, 03:33 AM   #10
Bironf
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by danallxt View Post
I agree totally with the points you made.
Problem is the BMW 240 is not made for the purpose you wish so it seems a mismatch.

But since that is what you do have:
You need to re-engineer it.
You would need to take it to a specialty shop and have the front suspension (struts etc) totally custom engineered and made specifically for you, and of course the rear suspension as well custom built. That would likely add weight, but specialty machining with lightweight alloys could reduce it but then mega costs result.
Regardless cost would likely be considerable, but it would achieve what you want, anything is possible if you want to throw enough money at it. It would be something experimental for a specialty shop (if you can find one willing to do it), and the handling/roadworthyness might be in question.
So seriously if you have the money...good luck...It would be unique.
Thank you for understanding. At least, in my market sunroof and a couple of other features are not standard unlike US market, so curb weight is around 3800 lbs. Still heavy compared to the old m235i xdrive, but it's something.

For my tires/wheels choice, I'll wait to see what lamborghini (huracan sterrato) and porsche (dakar trim) are cooking up for their vehicles. I think I'll have some inspiration from there.

But for suspensions, I tried to figure out if kit spaccer (spaccer.com) can be a valid solution for ground clearance, without ruining the balance of vehicle too much. It should still be more firm than something like an X3 M40i, but still sounds like a temporary solution.
I appreciate your post, and I think I'll follow your tips asking to some skilled shop.
I'll update with posts once I start my works.
Have a nice day
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2022, 04:11 PM   #11
danallxt
Captain
United_States
Rep

Taller tire/wheel combo will change your effective gear ratio, putting you further from your desired 0-60 times, its all a matter of trade offs. I'm assuming a tall tire combo will work with the x drive?
Appreciate 1
Bironf11.50
      11-12-2022, 06:57 AM   #12
Invisiblename
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M240i

Whilst this is a case of 'each to their own', I can't help thinking that any warranty claim is going to be hard to win!
      11-15-2022, 02:40 PM   #13
XC3LLR8
Banned
Rep
Drives: Super73

Changing tires to 245/50r19 will give you 1.3" of additional ground clearance - that could be meaningful if you're driving around on dirt roads all the time.

All the weight reduction you've discussed is the same as throwing your cash into a bonfire.
Appreciate 1
jpcoop364.00
      11-15-2022, 09:33 PM   #14
shonseb
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 240ix, gone: '14 Audi RS5

Garage List
2023 m240ix  [0.00]
Try reaching out to airlift, they may be able to come up with a solution for you.

https://www.airliftperformance.com/?...m_campaign=ALC
Appreciate 0