BMW 2 Series Technical Topics (G42) Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

03-20-2022, 12:31 PM   #1
mblaucoupe135
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i

Dinan strut brace

Just curious if anyone has installed the Dinan strut braces on their car? Not too expensive and sounds like they are pretty easy to install, but always like to hear from people who have done it first before I take the plunge. Also I'm curious if installing them negatively impacts daily driving at all? I do track my cars a few times per year so I'm thinking these strut braces might be helpful for that but don't want to sacrifice daily driving comfort.

https://www.dinancars.com/products/s...arts/D180-0014
Appreciate 3
Caerus534.50
dszpiro53.50
      03-20-2022, 04:11 PM   #2
Vancouver_M440
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 M5 Sedan

Look interesting, probably can't hurt to have more rigidity. I would expect it make any ride difference. The more rigid shell means the suspension has a more solid platform to do its work.
Appreciate 2
      03-20-2022, 10:25 PM   #3
Caerus
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M240ix

My opinion is that I don't see this design very functional, but mainly cosmetic. The original concept of strut braces in the engine bay, was to tie in the shock towers to optimize suspension rigidity and alignment specifications. It was the last brace to complete that trapezoidal geometry for strength. The geometry here does not accomplish the same function. Does it provide other rigidity in other areas? Maybe, but not a big contributor overall. I would only get it for the cool looking factor. Or put the $300 towards other items.
Appreciate 3
      03-20-2022, 11:53 PM   #4
ryo-
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 MWM M240i

it would be cool if it was anodized in different colors for a nice look in the engine bay. that would probably be the only reason I would buy it lol.

on the other hand, the only engine bay bracing that has a noticeable affect (IMO) is a master cylinder brace. I don't know how stiff the firewall is on the M240i but I definitely noticed less flex in the BRZ when mashing the pedal. I hope someone comes out with that for the M240i
Appreciate 2
      03-31-2022, 11:34 PM   #5
hermiti
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i

I bought them, if you look where the strut mounts on the backside it isn't threaded. The bolt that is supplied with the dinan braces are too small in my opinion, resulting in a bolt that will/could rattle around to some degree. I really hated the thought of that. I think I will need a wider bolt that is only partially threaded, or tap the backside. Either way, I think the bolts are too thin. I have a picture in my build if you are interested in how it looks before I took them off.

I agree with Caerus, the mounting point on the front doesn't seem like it would offer much rigidity anyways.
Appreciate 4
      01-16-2023, 12:20 PM   #6
Dinosoar
Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 230i M Sport

Garage List
2022 BMW 230i  [0.00]
Yeah, that front brace (over the radiator) is pretty flexible, vertically at least (I can flex by had pretty easily); more stout longitudinally. If one got these, they'd be cool, look nice, but the functionality would not be adding rigidity to the strut towers. Maybe more rigidity to that flexible front brace, but is that needed?

To your original question by mblaucoupe135, I don't think there's any downside to them, IMO, other than spent money, but that's a totally subjective bit.

I may still get them, but IDK at this point.

Last edited by Dinosoar; 02-07-2023 at 08:15 PM.. Reason: Clarifying statement
Appreciate 0