home
BMW 2 Series Technical Topics (G42) Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

02-28-2023, 03:04 AM   #1
javierinigo
Rep
Drives: g42 m240i

Adaptive suspension too soft?

Hi there,

Just 1k km into my new g42 m240i, so maybe a bit too early to say, but I’ve got the feeling the adaptive suspension is too soft even in Sport mode.

My main critique so far is that in bends, I feel the inner front wheel lifting a notch too much for my liking, which does not give me the confidence I’d like in curvy roads.

Anyone else having that feeling?

Thanks.

Ps. I did my homework and looked at previous posts on this topic, but didn’t find this particular issue.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2023, 02:21 PM   #2
Winrya
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i G42

I doubt I’ve done more than 10 miles in sport in mine as I find it really firm. I’m in the uk and we don’t have any smooth roads so I’m stuck in comfort mode
Appreciate 1
      03-01-2023, 01:34 AM   #3
Invisiblename
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winrya View Post
I doubt I’ve done more than 10 miles in sport in mine as I find it really firm. I’m in the uk and we don’t have any smooth roads so I’m stuck in comfort mode
No you’re not, setup your Sport Individual for everything Sport except suspension- sorted

Comfort suspension
Sport steering
Sport transmission
Sport plus engine
      03-01-2023, 10:07 AM   #4
Winrya
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i G42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invisiblename View Post
No your not, setup your Sport Individual for everything Sport except suspension- sorted

Comfort suspension
Sport steering
Sport transmission
Sport plus engine
Sorry I was only referring to my suspension is always in comfort.
Appreciate 1
      03-01-2023, 05:02 PM   #5
ryo-
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 MWM M240i

this car is a heavy car so it's reasonable that you're feeling body roll. you might need to play with swaybars/spring rates to get it how you like it. IMO, sport suspension feels pretty firm to me but I haven't pushed it too hard yet
Appreciate 1
      03-09-2023, 12:50 PM   #6
hooked
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by javierinigo View Post
Just 1k km into my new g42 m240i, so maybe a bit too early to say, but I’ve got the feeling the adaptive suspension is too soft even in Sport mode.

My main critique so far is that in bends, I feel the inner front wheel lifting a notch too much for my liking, which does not give me the confidence I’d like in curvy roads.
Which tires are you on?

And the inside front tire is lifting off the ground or does it just feel that way?

I have the Michelin PS4S (255/245 widths on the ZTK pack in the US) and I don't think I have lifted the inside front tire yet.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2023, 04:35 PM   #7
javierinigo
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooked View Post
Which tires are you on?

And the inside front tire is lifting off the ground or does it just feel that way?

I have the Michelin PS4S (255/245 widths on the ZTK pack in the US) and I don't think I have lifted the inside front tire yet.
Not really lifting, just the feel of it. Haven’t pushed it that far yet, haven’t been on track.

Appreciate it’s a heavy car and might roll a little. I come from an A35 AMG. It’s a bit lighter, not that much, but never had that feeling. I expected the m240i with adaptive suspension behave like that if not better and give the driver all the confidence in turns. I don’t feel that confident yet.

Maybe just early days with the car.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2023, 05:12 PM   #8
hooked
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by javierinigo View Post
Not really lifting, just the feel of it. Haven’t pushed it that far yet, haven’t been on track.

Appreciate it’s a heavy car and might roll a little. I come from an A35 AMG. It’s a bit lighter, not that much, but never had that feeling. I expected the m240i with adaptive suspension behave like that if not better and give the driver all the confidence in turns. I don’t feel that confident yet.
If you don't have high-performance tires yet, I would suggest starting there. The chassis has quite a bit of grip when using tires other than the all-seasons that a lot of them come with. I would also avoid the run-flats. Get a good set of summer go-flats and sell the all seasons. There will still be body roll but you can push the car harder and it will stay planted longer. If the body roll still bothers you, lower it and get stiffer dampers, but know that you will lose the adaptive aspect of the stock dampers. I enjoy having comfort mode for some the rougher roads around here so I will live with some body roll to keep the adjustability.
Appreciate 1
      03-13-2023, 08:38 AM   #9
javierinigo
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooked View Post
If you don't have high-performance tires yet, I would suggest starting there. The chassis has quite a bit of grip when using tires other than the all-seasons that a lot of them come with. I would also avoid the run-flats. Get a good set of summer go-flats and sell the all seasons. There will still be body roll but you can push the car harder and it will stay planted longer. If the body roll still bothers you, lower it and get stiffer dampers, but know that you will lose the adaptive aspect of the stock dampers. I enjoy having comfort mode for some the rougher roads around here so I will live with some body roll to keep the adjustability.
That’s great advice, thanks for that!

I’ll look at a tyre change as soon as I can to start with.
Appreciate 0