BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BMW 2 Series Technical Topics (G42) Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

01-01-2023, 08:33 PM   #1
Soylent
Major
Rep
Drives: 2021 M4C

Anyone here able to install MSS HAS in the front?

The rears were a breeze. The front and back were simple on my G82. However, I have not been able to get the strut out of the knuckle on the M240i rwd. The strut is loose and spins freely but the knuckle just doesn't seem to go low enough to clear the end of the strut. Was following the Kies video on their M340i. I tried a slim fit spring compressor but that obviously doesn't compress the gas shock.

Who has been able to do this?

2008 M5 Saphire Black-gone
2004 M3 Dinan S3 Jet Black-gone
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2023, 05:42 PM   #2
oldbmwtech
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soylent View Post
The rears were a breeze. The front and back were simple on my G82. However, I have not been able to get the strut out of the knuckle on the M240i rwd. The strut is loose and spins freely but the knuckle just doesn't seem to go low enough to clear the end of the strut. Was following the Kies video on their M340i. I tried a slim fit spring compressor but that obviously doesn't compress the gas shock.

Who has been able to do this?

I had to remove the lower control arm to get the strut out and loosen the other arms off the spindle. I had the same issue as you. I have the AWD. Also, I recommend replacing all bolts and nuts removed since they are torque to yield type bolts.
This is only my opinion as I'm a retired professional ASE master grease monkey technician, now instructor. Your best teacher is your last mistake. Use what I post at your own risk as you know teachers only know book knowledge.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2023, 10:01 PM   #3
Soylent
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbmwtech View Post
I had to remove the lower control arm to get the strut out and loosen the other arms off the spindle. I had the same issue as you. I have the AWD. Also, I recommend replacing all bolts and nuts removed since they are torque to yield type bolts.
Thanks. That's what I thought. The lower control are seems to be at it's downward maximum and isn't enough to let the strut pivot out. Going to the shop for this one. Not interested in removing the control arm and ball joints.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2023, 10:19 PM   #4
Soylent
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbmwtech View Post
Thanks. That's what I thought. The lower control are seems to be at it's downward maximum and isn't enough to let the strut pivot out. Going to the shop for this one. Not interested in removing the control arm and ball joints.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2023, 07:21 AM   #5
MrPickles
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240ix

I was thinking about this while trying to fall asleep last night.

What about compressing the spring while still in the car so that the strut can be effectively shortened? How much more clearance do you actually need?
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2023, 07:45 AM   #6
oldbmwtech
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soylent View Post
Removing the control arm and ball joint is very easy. If you have taken everything apart already you have done most of the hard part.
This is only my opinion as I'm a retired professional ASE master grease monkey technician, now instructor. Your best teacher is your last mistake. Use what I post at your own risk as you know teachers only know book knowledge.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2023, 08:15 PM   #7
oldbmwtech
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I'm passing this along to you. I received this from another member here and want to share the love. Good technical info. I hope this helps.

https://onl-osmc-b2i.bmwgroup.com/os...avigation=true
Appreciate 3
      01-05-2023, 09:37 PM   #8
Soylent
Major
Rep

That's a great resource. Thank you!
Appreciate 0