BMW 2 Series Forums (G42) G42 2-Series General Topics

03-05-2024, 09:33 AM   #111
cannockwolf
Captain
Rep
Drives: M240i 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by irap View Post
I hope so too. Last year I had to wait for almost a month before the headlight was replaced. This time around it was just 1 week
I was gobsmacked they had one in stock at the dealer for me, they swapped it the day it went in for inspection
      03-05-2024, 10:04 AM   #112
sleeves007
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: G42 220i

Both mine replaced for the second time last month, has been in rain and dampness and no condensation. Headlights built Nov and Dec 23, seem to be fixed from those dates, hopefully.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2024, 09:37 AM   #113
ninja_geezer
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i G42

Does anyone know where the breath vents are for these headlamps ?
I wonder if there is anything we could remove to dry them out fully now and again, on my old f22 you could remove the top heatsink and dry it out very easily whit a hairdryer/hot air gun .
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2024, 01:16 PM   #114
Pentland
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i (G42)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja_geezer View Post
Does anyone know where the breath vents are for these headlamps ?
I wonder if there is anything we could remove to dry them out fully now and again, on my old f22 you could remove the top heatsink and dry it out very easily whit a hairdryer/hot air gun .
If they are condensating, there is no point drying them out. I will just happen again. You need to fix the cause, not cure the symptoms.
Appreciate 2
      03-06-2024, 02:39 PM   #115
ninja_geezer
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentland View Post
If they are condensating, there is no point drying them out. I will just happen again. You need to fix the cause, not cure the symptoms.
I get that ,but is there a way of venting the damp air to at least get them fully dry .my last f22 was easy, on this i cannot see anyway of opening the lamp to dry properly.no way am i letting the dealers swap them and get the same within a week or so like most have done ,its clearly an issue with not enough ventilation so the moist air can escape .i heated them up today got them crystal clear 1 hour later back to the same the air is not getting out fast enough if at all. If they ever tweak the design and fix the issue then yes i would get them done but why some people have had 3 sets and damaged paintwork ect is beyond me ...im waiting .......lol for some dare i say dry weather to see if that helps but i guess driving about in cold 90 percent humidity wont help......out of curiosity i went out in my wife's seat ibiza the other night its and old 2011 model her headlamps when i felt the lens were toasty warm as it had halogen bulbs never ever seen and condensation in those ....ive been looking at the newer audis also they seem ok but i do see lots of beemers with crapy looking headlamps....
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2024, 07:40 AM   #116
Keith_C
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i M Sport Plus

Had mine in yesterday, headlights are on back order currently, due into Germany end of this week so probably get my offside replaced in the next week or two!
M240i - Thundernight Metallic - Cognac Interior - M Technology Pack - Technology Plus Pack - Comfort Pack - HK - Driving Assistant - M Adaptive Suspension - 19" 893 M Double-spoke Bicolour Alloy Wheels - Aluminium Rhombicle Interior Trim
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2024, 09:05 AM   #117
Manny M
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW m240i xdrive

Garage List
2022 m240i xdrive condensation

Just bought a 2022 m240i xdrive with 17k miles and there is condensation in just one of the headlights. I had a 2018 330i xdrive until I bought this car and never had a problem with it.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2024, 06:42 PM   #118
BlueLEDz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW 230i

BMW approved the replacement of both of my headlights. There was some inventory in Florida. Advisor said it should be done tomorrow. Not sure how likely that is but will find out soon.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2024, 10:35 AM   #119
Pentland
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja_geezer View Post
I get that ,but is there a way of venting the damp air to at least get them fully dry .my last f22 was easy, on this i cannot see anyway of opening the lamp to dry properly.no way am i letting the dealers swap them and get the same within a week or so like most have done ,its clearly an issue with not enough ventilation so the moist air can escape .i heated them up today got them crystal clear 1 hour later back to the same the air is not getting out fast enough if at all. If they ever tweak the design and fix the issue then yes i would get them done but why some people have had 3 sets and damaged paintwork ect is beyond me ...im waiting .......lol for some dare i say dry weather to see if that helps but i guess driving about in cold 90 percent humidity wont help......out of curiosity i went out in my wife's seat ibiza the other night its and old 2011 model her headlamps when i felt the lens were toasty warm as it had halogen bulbs never ever seen and condensation in those ....ive been looking at the newer audis also they seem ok but i do see lots of beemers with crapy looking headlamps....
It’s a Volvo design.
I’ve not had the inclination to take the G42 ones apart but I can assure you it’s not a problem unique to this model.
I do know from past experience of “drying them out” is it will never fix the problem. You just have to keep going back to the dealer.

As for audio lights, the fairy lights they have on their cars are just there to distract you from the shoddy driving standards of their owners
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2024, 06:39 AM   #120
PortimaoP10
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i (G42)

This is my passenger side headlight situation. It's been this way for 3 weeks now, so clearly isn't going to dry out on its own. Off to the dealer we go. The car is around 18 months old. Disappointing, but hopefully BMW will pick up the tab.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-02-2024, 06:26 PM   #121
slip angle
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW m240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortimaoP10 View Post
This is my passenger side headlight situation. It's been this way for 3 weeks now, so clearly isn't going to dry out on its own. Off to the dealer we go. The car is around 18 months old. Disappointing, but hopefully BMW will pick up the tab.
They will. I had to take pictures, they sent them to bmw and it was approved, that was the passenger side. Now my driver side is worse. I took it there, they didn't even look at it they ordered the replacement.
Appreciate 1
      04-08-2024, 11:31 AM   #122
ninja_geezer
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Is there anything I can remove/loosen as to try and remove moisture out of the headlamps until I decide to fight the dealers for a set of replacements.one reason is I want to wait until the passenger side is as bad as the drivers side, ATM its no where near as bad so they wont swap both and I'm not really prepared for them to keep removing the bumper ect .
on my last F22 it was easy to remove the heatsinks and completely dry them out ,although they never got this bad ever. There is trapped moisture that needs to come out that's for sure ,I don't want to go undoing things that I'm not sure of atm.
my guess is some intelligent person on here will know how they dry/pressure test the units in situ.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-11-2024, 06:02 AM   #123
MPowerLUFC
Rep
Drives: Was F87 now G87

Mine is in today for O/S replacing. Had it approved before then had to bring it back to prove again as it had eventually dried out (after several weeks parked in my garage).

What happens when the warranty runs out and we all have to start footing the bill? Going to be a lot of goldfish bowl headlamps out there.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-11-2024, 07:04 AM   #124
Pentland
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowerLUFC View Post

What happens when the warranty runs out and we all have to start footing the bill? Going to be a lot of goldfish bowl headlamps out there.
Yes. When the car is out of warranty that’s it - unless you buy an extended warranty of course.
The other thing to keep in mind is that you don’t get warranty on warranty. i.e. if the headlamp was replaced 2 years 364 days after you took delivery of the car, the headlight would only have 1 day warranty on it!
Appreciate 1
      04-12-2024, 02:59 AM   #125
MPowerLUFC
Rep

Didn’t change the headlight yesterday. They still have the car and are “pressure testing” the unit now. They claim it’s BMWs process but it was never mentioned a month ago when it was booked in for a new lamp.

Waiting to hear the result. If it passes am I just stuck with one goldfish bowl headlamp?

Getting seriously hacked off with the customer service.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2024, 03:23 AM   #126
Pentland
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Didn’t change the headlight yesterday. They still have the car and are “pressure testing” the unit now. They claim it’s BMWs process but it was never mentioned a month ago when it was booked in for a new lamp.

Waiting to hear the result. If it passes am I just stuck with one goldfish bowl headlamp?

Getting seriously hacked off with the customer service.

They said they had to pressure test mine too. However, as I’ve said before, if the lights are supposed to be vented, what’s the point?

It would be good to see a dismantled unit to understand haw they are supposed to work and what the issue actually is.

In the meantime, deep breath, let BMW do their thing. Getting angry never helps.
Appreciate 1
      04-12-2024, 10:35 AM   #127
MPowerLUFC
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentland View Post
They said they had to pressure test mine too. However, as I’ve said before, if the lights are supposed to be vented, what’s the point?

It would be good to see a dismantled unit to understand haw they are supposed to work and what the issue actually is.

In the meantime, deep breath, let BMW do their thing. Getting angry never helps.
They did their pressure test and it did fail so it has now been changed. Got there in the end.

It’s the second time I’d been told, yes it’s warranty, booked in and then told further evidence is required before it gets changed. Quite frustrating when it looks so obvious.

It was mentioned units are being pressure tested from factory so hopefully less failures in the future. Must be a seriously flawed design though.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2024, 05:58 PM   #128
Littlecoupe
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240i

Quote:
They did their pressure test and it did fail so it has now been changed. Got there in the end.

It’s the second time I’d been told, yes it’s warranty, booked in and then told further evidence is required before it gets changed. Quite frustrating when it looks so obvious.

It was mentioned units are being pressure tested from factory so hopefully less failures in the future. Must be a seriously flawed design though.
I would be interested to see the pressure test results of one that failed, then a pressure test on a new unit BEFORE installation and installing it when it passes. Then see if that same new unit eventually has condensation issues and see what the pressure test shows at that time. Did it develop a leak?
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2024, 02:41 PM   #129
Tjawad
Tjawad
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M240ix

Just had a similar issue. After the dealer told me they could not get authorized to replace, I took it up with BMW customer relations. I was informed today that this issue is normal and they would not be replacing the headlight. I was also told to drive around for an hour with the headlight on to dry it out.
Attached Images

Last edited by Tjawad; 04-22-2024 at 02:45 PM.. Reason: Adding photo
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2024, 03:50 PM   #130
ninja_geezer
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjawad View Post
Just had a similar issue. After the dealer told me they could not get authorized to replace, I took it up with BMW customer relations. I was informed today that this issue is normal and they would not be replacing the headlight. I was also told to drive around for an hour with the headlight on to dry it out.
That is normal on a modern car WTF ........
keep chasing, that is ridiculous ask them what happens if you have an accident at night on a back road due to defective headlamps .....
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2024, 09:08 PM   #131
V series
Rep
Drives: 23 M5 & 24 M240i

Of all the pictures posted, I am only seeing the adaptive full LED headlights having the condensation issue.

Are the basr headlights also doing it?
Appreciate 0