home
BMW 2 Series Forums (G42) G42 2-Series General Topics

04-05-2024, 09:06 AM   #1
TopG42
Private
Rep
Drives: G42 M240i

Malfunctioning Notification

My '23 M240i just got a notification stating "Emergency Call system Malfunction". While that happened I also lost all connectivity to the BMW app. So after troubleshooting (rebooting idrive and logging in and out of the bmw app as well as deleting it and reinstalling as last resort) I went to the dealership and they told me the Telematics Communication Box was bad and they ordered another one and will install it tommorrow. I was wondering if anyone else had this same issue because the service manager told me it was a common replacement but I have no really seen it talked about that much. I am wondering if something I did could have caused it although I am not running a tune or anything (just a AA catted downpipe and milltek exhaust) not sure those would even correlate to that TCB going out but with everything being so tech oriented who knows what could have caused it.

I will update if they tell me anything else but as of now it is just "alot of these go out and you are still under warranty so I wouldn't care"
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2024, 09:08 PM   #2
nype
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i / BMW X5 35d

Not heard of this but BMW has been having software / app / connected drive server issues since the latest software push. Things seem fo have been resolved last night. Still having problems today?
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2024, 12:54 AM   #3
TopG42
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nype View Post
Not heard of this but BMW has been having software / app / connected drive server issues since the latest software push. Things seem fo have been resolved last night. Still having problems today?
They ended up replacing my tcb. Maybe they never had to do it but they were nice enough to do that without any questions asked. I will never know if my tcb actually failed or if I was just experiencing the server issue like everyone else. For the record I had the issue starting Wednesday, dropped it off Thursday and picked it up today. Hopefully things are smoother
Appreciate 1
nype139.50
      04-06-2024, 12:56 AM   #4
nype
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i / BMW X5 35d

Glad that you have it sorted out now
Appreciate 1
TopG4216.50
      04-06-2024, 08:47 AM   #5
RockCrusher
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2023 ZB M2 6-speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopG42 View Post
My '23 M240i just got a notification stating "Emergency Call system Malfunction". While that happened I also lost all connectivity to the BMW app. So after troubleshooting (rebooting idrive and logging in and out of the bmw app as well as deleting it and reinstalling as last resort) I went to the dealership and they told me the Telematics Communication Box was bad and they ordered another one and will install it tommorrow. I was wondering if anyone else had this same issue because the service manager told me it was a common replacement but I have no really seen it talked about that much. I am wondering if something I did could have caused it although I am not running a tune or anything (just a AA catted downpipe and milltek exhaust) not sure those would even correlate to that TCB going out but with everything being so tech oriented who knows what could have caused it.

I will update if they tell me anything else but as of now it is just "alot of these go out and you are still under warranty so I wouldn't care"
Electronics. Not unknown for an electronic device to fail early. Infant death syndrome. (When I worked for a consumer electronics company "burn in" was used to weed out the premature failures.)

Still whatever the electronics parts suppliers do to catch these early failures, I had the radio in my new 2008 Porsche Cayman S require replacement and it was just a few weeks old when the radio died. Car was under warranty.

Then just over 2 years after I bought a new 2018 Hellcat the NAV system went wonky and was replaced. Car was under warranty.
Appreciate 1
TopG4216.50
      04-06-2024, 10:33 AM   #6
ms
Rep
Drives: BMW m240

I had the same problem with my 535’08. It was a typical problem due to location of the module at the bottom of the trunk where moisture and water would accumulate. I hope it’s not the same problem with g42.
Appreciate 1
TopG4216.50
      04-06-2024, 11:12 AM   #7
PP3121
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240i

Interesting. Would the TCB also interfere with the remote start, both FOB and App? Since the update a week or so ago, the remote start has been inconsistently working. Sometimes it fails, other times no issues.

I recall when first received the car, remote start from the phone always failed the first time and worked the second time. Now it seems more random.

Did all the resets, uninstalled app, reinstalled, etc... still some issues.

I have an appointment for the 15th, so I will add it to the list.
Appreciate 1
TopG4216.50
      04-06-2024, 11:15 AM   #8
TopG42
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms View Post
I had the same problem with my 535’08. It was a typical problem due to location of the module at the bottom of the trunk where moisture and water would accumulate. I hope it’s not the same problem with g42.
Was replacement easier because of the location?
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2024, 11:18 AM   #9
TopG42
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PP3121 View Post
Interesting. Would the TCB also interfere with the remote start, both FOB and App? Since the update a week or so ago, the remote start has been inconsistently working. Sometimes it fails, other times no issues.

I recall when first received the car, remote start from the phone always failed the first time and worked the second time. Now it seems more random.

YES! My app as a whole was actually not working. It would say "updated from vehicle 4/3/2024 6:30pm" which is the last successful connection I had before the tcb went out. I am thinking they pushed an update and some tcbs that were already faulty just killed themselves in the process. The service advisor was very dodgy when I asked how common this is with my car specifically and told me not to worry about it anymore.
Appreciate 1
PP3121357.50
      04-06-2024, 08:56 PM   #10
PP3121
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
YES! My app as a whole was actually not working. It would say "updated from vehicle 4/3/2024 6:30pm" which is the last successful connection I had before the tcb went out. I am thinking they pushed an update and some tcbs that were already faulty just killed themselves in the process. The service advisor was very dodgy when I asked how common this is with my car specifically and told me not to worry about it anymore.
Definitely going to bring this up with my service contact person. I will keep you posted on what they tell me.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2024, 10:23 AM   #11
PRINCE THUNDERNIGHT
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M240i XDrive G42

Quote:

Go into climate settings in iDrive and re-enable it. The update turns it off.
Appreciate 1
PP3121357.50
      04-08-2024, 05:58 AM   #12
PP3121
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRINCE THUNDERNIGHT View Post
Go into climate settings in iDrive and re-enable it. The update turns it off.
Thanks. I have already done that.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2024, 10:26 AM   #13
ms
Rep
Drives: BMW m240

Quote:
Was replacement easier because of the location?
TBH I never got to replace it - it only impacted SOS and Bluetooth function. But the access to the module was very easy without a need to disassemble anything.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2024, 01:58 PM   #14
TopG42
Private
Rep

Quote:
Definitely going to bring this up with my service contact person. I will keep you posted on what they tell me.
Just an update for you, after the tcb change I noticed the status of my car will show up on the app but the commands do not send to my car at all. They just fail. So I did the app deletion, signed back in and the problem was still there. I think the only thing left to do is reboot idrive so I will let you know when that is done. Maybe changing the tcb required a reboot or something. I still think its weird that the status will update but the car wont recieve any of the commands.
Appreciate 1
PP3121357.50
      04-13-2024, 05:54 PM   #15
PP3121
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Just an update for you, after the tcb change I noticed the status of my car will show up on the app but the commands do not send to my car at all. They just fail. So I did the app deletion, signed back in and the problem was still there. I think the only thing left to do is reboot idrive so I will let you know when that is done. Maybe changing the tcb required a reboot or something. I still think its weird that the status will update but the car wont recieve any of the commands.
Thank you. I'm heading in on Monday morning. Will also update any details. What I have noticed is the FOB start up is working as before; however, the app/phone sometimes sends successfully and at other times fails.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2024, 10:57 PM   #16
TopG42
Private
Rep

Quote:
Thank you. I'm heading in on Monday morning. Will also update any details. What I have noticed is the FOB start up is working as before; however, the app/phone sometimes sends successfully and at other times fails.
Rebooting did not work from me. Tried wiping my bmw id from both the app amd car and started fresh and no luck with responses from the car. Still shows if the windows are open and the psi in each tire so I am not sure what the issue could be.
Appreciate 1
PP3121357.50
      04-15-2024, 06:39 AM   #17
PP3121
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Rebooting did not work from me. Tried wiping my bmw id from both the app amd car and started fresh and no luck with responses from the car. Still shows if the windows are open and the psi in each tire so I am not sure what the issue could be.
Currently at the dealership. I will keep you posted on the info I get. Just how the future of driving/cars will be with more and more tech!?
Appreciate 1
TopG4216.50
      04-15-2024, 09:35 AM   #18
PP3121
Lieutenant
Rep

Service/Diagnosis completed. Dealership could not replicate any of the concerns. All diagnostics were normal including the TCB. Have known the service manager for some time, and I feel he gives me the straight and narrow (always has). Had one of the higher-ups come and talk with me about possible next steps. He would like for me to leave the car one day for a complete check on all systems and ensure the updates took properly since I could not stay today.

The only thing we could think about was that the update did not properly load, but wouldn't that be a software issue? I recall the update took about 2 weeks to complete and the message did not disappear from the phone app for another week or even after all the resets and uninstall/reinstall, etc...

I will try and document each instance as it occurs with either a screenshot, or a picture of the car's screen to give them more data points.

The saga continues!
Appreciate 1
TopG4216.50
      04-15-2024, 11:14 AM   #19
TopG42
Private
Rep

Quote:
Service/Diagnosis completed. Dealership could not replicate any of the concerns. All diagnostics were normal including the TCB. Have known the service manager for some time, and I feel he gives me the straight and narrow (always has). Had one of the higher-ups come and talk with me about possible next steps. He would like for me to leave the car one day for a complete check on all systems and ensure the updates took properly since I could not stay today.

The only thing we could think about was that the update did not properly load, but wouldn't that be a software issue? I recall the update took about 2 weeks to complete and the message did not disappear from the phone app for another week or even after all the resets and uninstall/reinstall, etc...

I will try and document each instance as it occurs with either a screenshot, or a picture of the car's screen to give them more data points.

The saga continues!
I also have an update. I got on the phone with the genius hotline and they tried to walk me through the 70 second reboot process and then checking for app updates and then verifying data privacy is set to allowed. Then they told me to try it out and call back if it fails. As soon as I turn the car off it lets me lock and do the camera view command but once that is done I tried the unlock command and it failed. An hour later I tried the lock command again and got this message. I called again and they made a ticket for me and said I would get a response in 5-10 business days. I was considering going into the dealership but I would rather wait and see your results before losing my car for a while (NC dealers tend to take forever with diagnosis). Gotta love idrive 8
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
PP3121357.50
      04-15-2024, 03:47 PM   #20
PP3121
Lieutenant
Rep

So if the car is off, is that still considered "drive-ready" mode?

"The door status is known"? Does this mean the app/car computer does not know if the door is closed or open?

What gremlins do we have lurking in our computers! Has to be a software issue.
Appreciate 1
TopG4216.50
      04-15-2024, 04:18 PM   #21
TopG42
Private
Rep

Quote:
So if the car is off, is that still considered "drive-ready" mode?

"The door status is known"? Does this mean the app/car computer does not know if the door is closed or open?

What gremlins do we have lurking in our computers! Has to be a software issue.
We can rule out the door thing because the app says its closed and rule out drive-ready mode since that is basically like having the car on and in park. Maybee the battery? But I doubt it because I feel like that message is there for the bmw i-series not my car. I will factory reset my car and wipe the whole thing and see if that works when I get off my shift
Appreciate 1
PP3121357.50
      04-15-2024, 06:44 PM   #22
PP3121
Lieutenant
Rep

I guess keep trouble shooting until the Geniuses call you back!
Appreciate 0