BMW 2 Series Technical Topics (G42) Wheels / Tires

09-06-2022, 01:09 PM   #45
WRS_ATL
Private
Rep
Drives: '23 M240i xDrive, BSM/black

Quote:
Originally Posted by rons e92 View Post
Any plans to do a VS-5RS in G42 M240i fitment? The more I look into your company the more I'd like to get these wheels in satin black.

I've done some rough calculations as for fronts I think good fitment would be 19x9 et18 and rear 19x9.5 et28. This keeps inner clearance about the same and pushes the wheels out about 13mm.

Am I totally wrong here? Thanks in advance for the response.

At the roll race event this weekend I saw a few cars running Apex wheels and now I'm sold.
For the VS-5RS, it looks like two options forthcoming that will fit our cars - in 9" and 10". I've done a fair number of calculations; in terms of fronts, a 19x9 ET 25 (one of the two options) will fit well, and will be ~5mm closer to the outside of the fender. (I'm planning on the same wheels for the rear because I want to keep a square set up for xdrive and I don't want a 10" wheel; so using the same on the rear means it'll be about 10mm closer to the outside of the fender, which means no spacer is necessary.)
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-06-2022, 01:11 PM   #46
rons e92
60-130 Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: G87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRS_ATL View Post
Quote:
Any plans to do a VS-5RS in G42 M240i fitment? The more I look into your company the more I'd like to get these wheels in satin black.

I've done some rough calculations as for fronts I think good fitment would be 19x9 et18 and rear 19x9.5 et28. This keeps inner clearance about the same and pushes the wheels out about 13mm.

At the roll race event this weekend I saw a few cars running Apex wheels and now I'm sold.
For the VS-5RS, it looks like two options forthcoming that will fit our cars - in 9" and 10". I've done a fair number of calculations; in terms of fronts, a 19x9 ET 25 (one of the two options) will fit well, and will be ~5mm closer to the outside of the fender. (I'm planning on the same wheels for the rear because I want to keep a square set up for xdrive and I don't want a 10" wheel; so using the same on the rear means it'll be about 10mm closer to the outside of the fender, which means no spacer is necessary.)
Damn that's just not aggressive enough on the front. I really want 13mm more offset than stock on the 893m wheels. If I'm paying all this money for aftermarket wheels I'm not going to run a spacer.

Rears are still a mystery I guess. Hoping to hear for a response from Apex.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2022, 01:14 PM   #47
WRS_ATL
Private
Rep

Apex Wheel color for Black Sapphire Metallic

Poll - What color Apex VS-5RS would look best on a Black Sapphire Metallic M240?

A) Brushed Clear
B) Anthracite
c) Satin Black

(I don't like an all black car; I'm heavily leaning towards B.)
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-06-2022, 01:15 PM   #48
LivingInSalt
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M240i

brushed clear
Appreciate 2
      09-06-2022, 01:17 PM   #49
WRS_ATL
Private
Rep

Quote:
Damn that's just not aggressive enough on the front. I really want 13mm more offset than stock on the 893m wheels. If I'm paying all this money for aftermarket wheels I'm not going to run a spacer.

I'm a-ok with a 5mm spacer... benefit is that the scrub radius is the same as stock front 893m wheels, which are ET 25. (Only difference is that stock fronts are 8 1/2" instead of 9"). W/a 5mm spacer it'll be between 10-11mm offset.

Last edited by WRS_ATL; 09-06-2022 at 03:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2022, 05:17 PM   #50
Expert@ApexWheels
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Sorry again for the delayed replies guys, I’m returning from an extended vacation and am playing catchup.

Quote:
Looking forward to purchasing a set of VS-5RS in October when they are released, so please keep us posted on availability and any group buy!

(Looking at a square setup w/ 19x9" ET25, plus a 5mm spacer up front, which should do the trick.)

Thanks!
We’ll certainly keep you posted! I’m not sure yet if we’ll be launching these wheels with another Group Buy or simply selling them through our site as a standard sale, but either way I’ll keep the G42 community in the loop.

Quote:

Glad our wheels impressed at the event, I’ll dive into your question below to keep things semi-compact.

Quote:

Quote:
I'm a-ok with a 5mm spacer... benefit is that the scrub radius is the same as stock front 893m wheels, which are ET 25. (Only difference is that stock fronts are 8 1/2" instead of 9"). W/a 5mm spacer it'll be between 10-11mm offset.
Wheel width plays a critical role in how wheels sit visually within the wheel well and how aggressive they look. If you compare our 19x9 ET25 wheel against the more common 19x8 ET27 Factory G42 wheel, the outer face of the wheel will be 14.7mm further out partially as a function of the increase in wheel width:

Wheel & Tire Calculator

A calculator like this is invaluable when you’re trying to figure out where the wheels will actually sit relative to the factory wheels. Compared to the 19x8.5 ET25 wheels (893m), they'll be 6.4mm more aggressive. The rear wheels are indeed the 19x10 ET38 wheels which are shown below. If you had to have a 19x9.5" rear, we offer a 19x9.5 ET25 wheel for the Supra that would be an option, but it would be an aggressive fitment.

For visual reference here is a 19x9 ET28 SM-10 APEX wheel on the front of a 2 series: (going large with these, expand as needed)

The VS-5RS wheels we are bringing to market are 3mm more aggressive than the wheels shown above. We made the offset change because of a difference in the Forged Sprint Line inner lip. The Sprint Lip is heavily reinforced with material in a C-channel to give the wheel even more strength in this critical area but this means that even though the width and offset could have been the same as the SM-10s, we moved the wheel outward 3mm to give more room for strut clearance with the wider/thicker inner lip.

Inner lip demo image, circled lower portion of the C channel:

This lip is actually a huge feature of our Sprint wheels that is under-appreciated in my opinion. An article on it can be found here: https://www.apexraceparts.com/blog/?s=inner+lip
Features like this aren’t factored into load ratings but they protect the wheel on the inner edge where it doesn’t have support from the spokes and is actually more likely to fail.

I’m very happy with the offset we landed on. It’s aggressive enough to fill the wheel wells even of stock cars, but more importantly will give the community the ability to run much wider tires than OE. I’d always prefer to bring a slightly higher offset option to market that people can use spacers with to get the most flush look compared to producing lower offset options that require stretched tires or modifications to fit.

If we were in a perfect world that let you choose any offset you wanted and get said wheels immediately then yes we might go lower for a flush fitment that a few individuals preferred, but we’re bringing a single fitment to market optimized to allow you to maximize the tire width on your 2 series front and rear. Significantly lower front offsets on the 19x9 ET25 also make the wheel less ideal for rear fitment for those looking to run a truly square fitment.

Hope this helps!

-Tom

Last edited by Expert@ApexWheels; 09-15-2022 at 05:51 PM..
Appreciate 1
XC3LLR82062.50
      09-15-2022, 05:57 PM   #51
Expert@ApexWheels
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Poll - What color Apex VS-5RS would look best on a Black Sapphire Metallic M240?

A) Brushed Clear
B) Anthracite
c) Satin Black

(I don't like an all black car; I'm heavily leaning towards B.)
The answer is always Anthracite. I'm a professional... sometimes.

-Tom
      09-16-2022, 06:02 PM   #52
Thundernight
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240xi

Special Delivery!!!
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      09-19-2022, 11:33 AM   #53
Expert@ApexWheels
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundernight View Post
Special Delivery!!!
Nice! I'd love to see them on the car. Are they getting a set of slicks?
      09-19-2022, 02:30 PM   #54
Thundernight
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expert@ApexRaceParts View Post
Nice! I'd love to see them on the car. Are they getting a set of slicks?
Maybe.. I was originally thinking of ordering Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 which would double for track use and as a dedicated summer set, but I might be relocating down south for work. If that happens, all options are open

The slicks pictured in the background are actually for a spec miata.

I will definitely share photos once they are mounted and installed!
Appreciate 1
      09-22-2022, 09:31 PM   #55
WRS_ATL
Private
Rep

Quote:
The answer is always Anthracite. I'm a professional... sometimes.

-Tom
Thanks, and I agree on Anthracite. Definitely message me when they become available… I’m ready to buy 4 9” ET25s for a square setup w/255 35s!

-Bill
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2022, 06:44 PM   #56
Expert@ApexWheels
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Thanks, and I agree on Anthracite. Definitely message me when they become available… I’m ready to buy 4 9” ET25s for a square setup w/255 35s!

-Bill
I certainly will. They are nearly here actually and will be available for purchase on our site soon, but I need to get the product pages live to open up backorders for them. I'll reach out hopefully next week with good news!

-Tom
      09-28-2022, 07:06 PM   #57
Expert@ApexWheels
Major General
Rep

A quick update for everyone: The VS-5RS in G42-specific fitments are now on our website and can be pre-ordered. The wheels themselves are arriving in Mid-October.

Order Link Here

I've applied a Discount on the front and rear 19x9 and 19x10s respectively that will run through the end of October for anyone that preorders the wheels. It's live on the website and applies to all finishes.

Our fitment guides and brake clearance documents have been updated with these new wheels, but their overall fitment is identical to the SM-10s aside from the minor front offset tweak I've mentioned before.

Thanks for your patience with this process and let us know if you have any questions!

-Tom
      09-29-2022, 08:42 AM   #58
SN1P3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 ZCP

VS5RS wheels looks stellar! Would love to see them on a G42 for reference before buying.
Appreciate 3
KmtbS43.50
XC3LLR82062.50
      09-29-2022, 12:42 PM   #59
Frequencyz
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: m240i

Yeah I would love to see some anthracites on a BSM car.

Also what would the ideal tire sizes be on these?
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2022, 07:31 PM   #60
mblaucoupe135
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i

Quote:
A quick update for everyone: The VS-5RS in G42-specific fitments are now on our website and can be pre-ordered. The wheels themselves are arriving in Mid-October.

I've applied a Discount on the front and rear 19x9 and 19x10s respectively that will run through the end of October for anyone that preorders the wheels. It's live on the website and applies to all finishes.

Our fitment guides and brake clearance documents have been updated with these new wheels, but their overall fitment is identical to the SM-10s aside from the minor front offset tweak I've mentioned before.

Thanks for your patience with this process and let us know if you have any questions!

-Tom
I love this wheel! With an xdrive m240i are these the right tire sizes for these wheels?
Front: 245/40-19
Rear: 275/35-19

Also, I'm currently running 13mn spacers with stock wheels. I'm hoping these wheels will sit more flush so I won't need the spacers. What do you think Tom?
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2022, 05:11 PM   #61
Expert@ApexWheels
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SN1P3 View Post
VS5RS wheels looks stellar! Would love to see them on a G42 for reference before buying.
We need to source a few more local volunteers to get more APEX photoshoots done for this chassis. If you’re in the Bay Area and can stop by our office for a quick photoshoot, please fill out this form: https://www.apexraceparts.com/suppor...hoot-volunteer

If you’re not local, but you want to show off your APEX wheels regardless of model, feel free to email photos to experts@apexraceparts.com or submit them to our new Gallery Thread.

If you’re interested in seeing the profile of these VS-5RS, we recently brought in a G30 5 series for scanning and testfits.

Its not a G42, but its our first on-car shots of these wheels. This car is running the 19x9 ET25 front and 19x10 ET38 rear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frequencyz View Post
Yeah I would love to see some anthracites on a BSM car.

Also what would the ideal tire sizes be on these?
Depends on the setup you’re after. Check out the fitment guide for a few different options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mblaucoupe135 View Post
I love this wheel! With an xdrive m240i are these the right tire sizes for these wheels?
Front: 245/40-19
Rear: 275/35-19

Also, I'm currently running 13mn spacers with stock wheels. I'm hoping these wheels will sit more flush so I won't need the spacers. What do you think Tom?

This set of SM-10s shows what is essentially the same wheel fitment as the VS-5RS in the staggered sizing would be but the front VS-5RS will be 3mm further out. That is a very minor shift so overall it doesn’t change any of our fitment or tire recommendations compared to the SM-10s. No spacers were used in the photo above.

Those tire sizes should work well with the VS-5RS when running those staggered wheels. We list it on the guide, but the lower offset will help with true clearance where the tire is concerned: https://support.apexraceparts.com/hc...-Fitment-Guide

-Tom
      09-30-2022, 05:51 PM   #62
P_Chris
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i

Garage List
2022 M240i  [0.00]
Here is a quick dirty shot of 19x9 square set with 255 DWS's that I just mounted.
Attached Images

09-30-2022, 06:24 PM   #63
Expert@ApexWheels
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by P_Chris View Post
Here is a quick dirty shot of 19x9 square set with 255 DWS's that I just mounted.
Nice, just tossed that one in the gallery thread. Thanks for sharing!

-Tom
      10-11-2022, 04:58 PM   #64
Coconut
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240i xDrive

I’m local (San Jose) and my m240i xDrive in Brooklyn Grey with the Cooling and High Performance Tire Package (a bigger calipers/rotors, mini fender flares) should be arriving in December. I’d be very interested picking up a set of VS-5RS is Anthracite.
Appreciate 1
      10-13-2022, 01:00 PM   #65
Expert@ApexWheels
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut View Post
I’m local (San Jose) and my m240i xDrive in Brooklyn Grey with the Cooling and High Performance Tire Package (a bigger calipers/rotors, mini fender flares) should be arriving in December. I’d be very interested picking up a set of VS-5RS is Anthracite.
Our wheels ship out of our warehouse in Sacramento, but they don't do any will-call pickups so we'd still have to ship the wheels. Let me know if you have any questions about the wheels!

-Tom
      11-11-2022, 12:41 PM   #66
Expert@ApexWheels
Major General
Rep

We just posted our first photos of a 2 series on our new Forged VS-5RS wheels. Check out the post on our gallery thread here.