E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Random (but not complete) power loss issue - send help.

07-16-2024, 05:01 PM   #1
sshhivvaa
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i (6MT)

Unhappy Random (but not complete) power loss issue - send help.

I've been having this weird little issue that I haven't been able to find anything about...

One day I was driving home from getting gas and I shifted into 5th and lost a ton of power, but not all. I was flooring it and it was only giving me like 15% power. This power loss continued in all gears the rest of the way home. Started it up the next day and it was completely fine, like nothing happened. It was fine for several weeks until the same thing happened, but this time when I threw into 3rd instead.

I've also noticed that it has idle issues too when this happens, which throws off my suspicions about what it could be. When I come to a stop and clutch in, it'll drop to 500 and then shoot up to 1.1k, which then lowers to about 600 and then back up to 850 and finally settles at 600 (which is what it's always been in my 4 years of ownership).

When the issues happening, it also feels like the car won't let me get it past 4k RPM as if the car reset the redline to that. I'm scared to push it any further since it already takes so long to get to 4k.

So it doesn't matter what gear I'm in, happens every 2-3 weeks ish, and causes idle/general RPM issues. Could it be throttle body? Tune up? Something with the trans? I'm super lost. I changed the spark plugs and coil packs this time last year and did the fuel pump about 3 years ago. If I'm not letting the car warm up, I'm driving it hella carefully until it's warmed up enough. And even then, I don't drive this thing too aggressively. No other issues with the car otherwise.

Please help I love this car too much I don't wanna lose it (unless it's an M3 upgrade ). Any assistance is appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2024, 05:02 PM   #2
sshhivvaa
Registered
Rep

I also assume it's not the fuel injectors since there's no misfire. No codes or anything as well. Pure mechanical ouch.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 10:22 PM   #3
sshhivvaa
Registered
Rep

Was the eccentric shaft.. part of it was completely shredded. Rip e90
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 10:28 PM   #4
3PedalJake
Neo-Luddite
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 325i, 330i 6MT RWD Sport

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [10.00]
You can get a N52 for under a grand, put a engine in it. Save the manuals!
Appreciate 0