05-06-2022, 05:51 PM   #1453
Remonster
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdiniciu View Post
I don't think is a matter of age. I'm 30 and I dislike the big screens.

I think my preference for more analogue dash is that it holds up better against time. Technology ages poorly.

My previous e46 m3 dashboard still looks amazingly cool, same with the 911 dashboards - pure class.

Just my opinion and the logic behind it.
Around 8 years ago, I had an E92 M3 and really liked its interior. Since then, I've had more modern cars including a Tesla Model 3 Performance. I recently sold the Tesla and got back into an E90 M3. In the 2 years I owned the Tesla, they decided to update the software for their huge screen to make most of it uglier and most common things take more steps to access. It is a big step back with very few benefits. Now that I'm back into the E9x, I'm finding that I love this interior and the gauges in particular just as much now as I did the first time.

I doubt BMW would bother to change the look or functionality of their previously sold cars for free like Tesla does but that's another problem I have with the current all-screen vehicles: just as easily as they can gain features by software update, they can also become more stupid over time.
Appreciate 3
eddj464.50
P111572.00
      05-06-2022, 07:44 PM   #1454
///393
Captain
Rep
Drives: X6

The udder returns
Appreciate 1
      05-06-2022, 08:32 PM   #1455
Game
------
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavus View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Game View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M TOWN View Post
Maybe I'm misunderstanding you

Isn't that the opposite
Well one screen and less physical buttons would mean less distractions and more enjoying the drive, no?
no

you are mixing information layout vs driver-machine interface or ease of quickly selecting options while driving at speed. You have a split sec to select an option that you need immediately and get instant read on the critical vehicle info and rpm.
Anything that may require a split second touch…has a physical button. Front/rear defrost, volume/mute, pause-skip tracks, driving modes…
      05-06-2022, 08:33 PM   #1456
cbertels
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3 YMB-SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbertels View Post
So they blurred his arm but not his leg. Weird😂 🤷🏻*♂️
I was thinking the same thing and I don't get the point of the pixelation..

It's not like we are going to bump into that dude at a Cars and Coffee meet or the local strip club, then bug him for clues.. 😗
Right!?!? I totally recognize that forearm. Tell me about e new M2!!
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2022, 02:50 AM   #1457
Moflow
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C 6MT

Quote:
Well we haven't exactly seen what the gauges will look like yet since this will be the first M car with the iD8. Hoping it is less angular and more traditional in that sense.

Yeah I think age definitely has a lot to do with it. I'm 35 so in pretty much the same boat as you and I love the new screen. I was a little skeptical about it but when I got in an i4 I thought it was fantastic.

I would've been bummed if it had the same interior layout as a 2019 330. Not saying that its not a good looking interior, but if I'm buying a 2023 I want a FRESH design inside and out.
I hate the single screen look, 39 years old. Aesthetically not for me, and it looks tacked on, with the dashboard shape doing its own thing entirely.

But the looks aren't what i'm worried about, its the ergonomics that worry me. The instruments and the centrally mounted screen are two different things that will be used in two different ways. It makes no sense to me, in my mind to tie their positions to one another. The ideal height for one is not the ideal height for the other. But they have to be at the same height now (unless you mount the screen diagonally...which also seems like a bad option.)
Appreciate 1
Ugly Kar413.00
      05-07-2022, 08:04 AM   #1458
StickyPickle
Captain
Rep
Drives: NA

Not a fan of the ID8 screen and I'm not old. It's not so much the screen itself but as some others have said, it's the lack of integration. It just looks like BMW didn't bother engineering the dashboard to integrate the screen and just decided to tack it on as an afterthought. MB and many other companies have accomplished doing this with their dashboards and they look spectacular so why can't BMW do the same?

As silly as it might sound, this is giving me some pause on getting a G87 as soon as it comes out. I'm picking up my G42 M240 later this month and planning on holding onto to it while putting a deposit down on the 2023 G87 but having some doubts after seeing some pics. Hopefully it looks better but I'd rather have the G42 interior over the tacked on screen look
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2022, 01:13 PM   #1459
Ctriggs5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 22 BMW X3 M40i.

Screen belongs in a luxury car. Not a sports car or imo any of the real M cars
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2022, 02:31 PM   #1460
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

The car will have HUD making the screens pretty much irrelevant except for setup and camera views where the new design will be an improvement. How many hand wringing pages of mainly irrelevant screen design comments do we really need for a small M car where driving is the priority? I vastly prefer analog gauges but this much focus and anguish on it to a degree that it’s a show stopper for some? I don’t get it.
Appreciate 3
Game7402.50
T_U_D6676.50
sk8funk174.50
      05-07-2022, 02:33 PM   #1461
Game
------
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
The car will have HUD making the screens pretty much irrelevant except for setup and camera views where the new design will be an improvement. How many hand wringing pages of mainly irrelevant screen design comments do we really need for a small M car where driving is the priority? I vastly prefer analog gauges but this much focus and anguish on it to a degree that it’s a show stopper for some? I don’t get it.
Agreed. Enough screen talk.
      05-07-2022, 03:54 PM   #1462
Game
------
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynguldyn View Post
There is still only a single M2 model - base. It doesn't have Comp as an option either.
Ynguldyn (in the future model thread) states there is only a base model, no competition.
      05-07-2022, 04:03 PM   #1463
T_U_D
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: G05 LCI

Quote:
Ynguldyn (in the future model thread) states there is only a base model, no competition.
That has been my suspicion all along.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2022, 04:49 PM   #1464
Game
------
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Let me clarify with a collection of facts because people will read that short statement in every which way they like.

December 2022 release is for M2 base.
M2 base will not have a Competition option.
A separate M2 Competition model is in the plans.
It is not coming at the same time as M2 base.
My estimate of the probability of M2 Comp trailing M2 base by a year or more - 95%.
My estimate of the probability of M2 Comp being an LCI model (early 2025) - 70%.
More info.
      05-07-2022, 07:37 PM   #1465
as7920
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2023 SG/FR M4 xDrive Competiti

What the actual F
Appreciate 1
T_U_D6676.50
      05-07-2022, 08:19 PM   #1466
T_U_D
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: G05 LCI

We all know that SOP is 12/22, BUT the release will not occur the same month that production began. Will not happen…
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2022, 09:32 PM   #1467
atl_1M
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 1M, '20 X5 40i

Quote:
Quote:
[COLOR="DarkRed"]Let me clarify with a collection of facts because people will read that short statement in every which way they like.

My estimate of the probability of M2 Comp trailing M2 base by a year or more - 95%.
My estimate of the probability of M2 Comp being an LCI model (early 2025) - 70%.[/COLOR]
More info.
WOW. That would be unfortunate. Why wait to release a comp model, shortening the life cycle of the car even more given electrification is around the corner.
Appreciate 1
T_U_D6676.50
      05-07-2022, 10:07 PM   #1468
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
Quote:
Quote:
To me the top looks better. But hey at the end of the day it's all subjective.
The iDrive 7 system looks better integrated but I would still prefer iDrive 8 over it because it's a grand evolution over the older technology.
it's de-evelution. It takes longer to change a setting, it's less safe, more finger prints on screen. It offers zero benefit. Or looks terrible as well but I could live with that if it had buttons to interact with the car.
I felt the same way going from a Nokia to an iPhone 4; like how am I suppose to type with no buttons! :

Humans can be intuitive and will adapt to the changing technology. After awhile, you'll get used to it, rendering this second nature. Capacitive Touch is the future, for better or worst.

I'm not a huge fan of its placement either but I could live with the aesthetical compromise.

Just to think, there was a period in time when someone thought this below was cutting-edge technology 😗 : Should we take a step backwards?

Sometimes touch screens just don't do the job better. With cell phones the down side of losing buttons was obviously outweighed by the larger touch screen and virtual buttons.

However I can't imagine Nintendo, Sony Playstation, and Microsoft Xbox releasing a new console with just touch screen controllers and no buttons because it's just a worse form of input relative to physical buttons.

Touch screens are just worse for some things. Imagine removing the steering wheel from the car for a touch screen display that's round (so high tech, round screen!). You could just slide your hand around it to tell the car how to turn. Or just tap virtual left and right arrows. Or get rid of touch screen controls and you could gesture with your hands or point. Just use voice controls and shout "left left left, straight, slight right, more, no left".

Why stop there though. We could replace your 6 speed with a touch screen where you tap the gear you want. Just don't miss a tap if you hit a bump and money shift.

Replace the gas, brake, and clutch pedal with a touch screen you use with your bare feat. No that's silly. Just operate the clutch pedal with foot gestures via camera that sees the movent of your foot. I dunno, maybe voice control is best here too. "clutch in, clutch out, clutch kick!! Full opposite lock left! No reduce steering angle, less throttle, more throttle, brake brake brake!"

But hey, at least you would be getting a a big technology upgrade right? Because screens are new, the more you have and the bigger they are the higher tech the car is. Buttons are old.
I kind of get some of guys apprehension to removal of the physical buttons, even though still find it unfounded but we are talking about a global conglomerate that does tons of research and development, plus customer feedback before a product is greenlit and developed. I have faith in however the interface is presented, it will remain intuitive to consumers and eventually become second nature - just like every single item electronic item where physical buttons was eventually replaced.

What you might not realized about iDrive 8 is doesn't just use the flaky voice command system of the past, it is now much smarter and intuitive thanks to developments in artificial intelligence technology and use of an active internet cloud-based program to progress commands, rending buttons redundant. Think Siri or Google Assistance level of accuracy speech recognition, where the software filters through the sounds you speak and translates them into a format it can "read." Then, it analyzes that "translation" for meaning and uses that information — along with its algorithm and previous inputs — to guess what you said, significantly improve its functionality. Google's own voice recognition software attained a level of 95% recognition accuracy, I'm sure BMW is not far behind.

The physical buttons that are being replaced by AI are much more efficient and accurate, allowing for a easier and safer hands-free driving experience, without much clutter. You want to turn on the heat? "[COLOR="DarkRed"]Hey BMW, set the driver's temperature to 70 degrees[/COLOR]." Want to put the car in sports mode? "[COLOR="DarkRed"]Hey BMW, I'm ready for some fun[/COLOR]" Was that so hard? Did the sky fall? No, the same command was achieved.

The issues here is just that technologically progress just doesn't aligned with some folks narrow view. I'm not saying BMW is not saving money in the development process when scaled down over many different models but it is also more efficient IMHO.

And also, comparing a video game controller or a steering wheel to a vehicle's feature operational button command that I might use once a week is a false equivalent; even though there are millions of touch-screen dedicated games out there phone and cars now have Level 3 Self-Driving capabilities which requires limited steering input and also, don't some of you guys swear that paddle shifters are the same or even a better experience than a bonafide manual gear lever? You guys should be happy then if it eventually becomes a touch sensitive gear controller; less work right?

Video games are almost a contact sport, part of the experience is the tactile feed and pressure sensitivity from the controls. Certainly doesn't require the same level or emotional haptic feedback as changing the song on my radio. Voice commands can achieve this with little fuss.

I could write a thesis on the subject but we'll just leave it here because I'm tired of typing on my phone screen. I sure do wish it had physical button instead, however did we get to this point.. 😗

Appreciate 0
      05-07-2022, 10:34 PM   #1469
rkmjr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 ,M & Exe Pkg, MT & MPE

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by atl_1M View Post
Quote:
Quote:
[COLOR="DarkRed"]Let me clarify with a collection of facts because people will read that short statement in every which way they like.

My estimate of the probability of M2 Comp being an LCI model (early 2025) - 70%.[/COLOR]
More info.
WOW. That would be unfortunate. Why wait to release a comp model, shortening the life cycle of the car even more given electrification is around the corner.
Quote:
Originally Posted by T_U_D View Post
Quote:
That has been my suspicion all along.
Quote:
Originally Posted by atl_1M View Post
Quote:
Quote:

More info.
Hmmmmm, I have been reading over the last 3 months that the G87 base M2 about 410 HP B58 AND M2 Competition with 450 HP B58 will both begin production 12/22 and to be release at the same time.
      05-08-2022, 12:52 AM   #1470
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

More info.
As with any leaked info, it's important to take these claims with a hefty pinch of salt..

Unless it's officially stated on some documentation or someone with verifiable credentials confirms it as fact, I say it could go either way.
Appreciate 2
BMWGirlFL6275.50
T_U_D6676.50
      05-08-2022, 01:28 AM   #1471
Game
------
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

More info.
As with any leaked info, it's important to take these claims with a hefty pinch of salt..

Unless it's officially stated on some documentation or someone with verifiable credentials confirms it as fact, I say it could go either way.
Check out the EPA chart in the future model thread. The "M2 Coupe" designation seems quite legit.
      05-08-2022, 01:40 AM   #1472
BMWGirlFL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Check out the EPA chart in the future model thread. The "M2 Coupe" designation seems quite legit.
Quote:

I agree with Poochie.

Last edited by BMWGirlFL; 05-08-2022 at 01:46 AM..
Appreciate 1
Poochie9104.50
      05-08-2022, 01:41 AM   #1473
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

More info.

I saw it, it's regurgitating the same unverifiable information you had previously posted with nothing to back it up.

Honestly, I have absolutely nothing against the source and have no reason to doubt him but the fact is there isn't anything to back those claims other than speculation. Maybe just a morsel of actually evidence would change my tune.

It's not that seriously to me but I have a suspicion that M2 and M2 Competition will follow the same formula as the M4 & M4C where they will both be released concurrently, where the M2 base will be manual only and the M2C be offered as an automatic, with an onslaught of carbon fiber bits and that silly wing.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2022, 01:55 AM   #1474
Game
------
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

More info.

I saw it, it's regurgitating the same unverifiable information you had previously posted with nothing to back it up.

Honestly, I have absolutely nothing against the source and have no reason to doubt him but the fact is there isn't anything to back those claims other than speculation. Maybe just a morsel of actually evidence would change my tune.

It's not that seriously to me but I have a suspicion that M2 and M2 Competition will follow the same formula as the M4 & M4C where they will both be released concurrently, where the M2 base will be manual only and the M2C be offered as an automatic, with an onslaught of carbon fiber bits and that silly wing.
I feel like the chart does support his statement so it's not exactly baseless.

But I absolutely hope you're right. Well, not completely. I want to see a comp manual but I guess only time will tell.