BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW XM (G09) Forums General BMW XM Forum Am I getting a good deal? Need to know asap

03-24-2024, 09:44 AM   #89
patrikr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 760i, 2020 Model X LR

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualGuitars View Post
I only messed with those settings until I got through my break-in periods. I have changed my M1 button from the default settings to sport plus which makes the engine run full-time. That’s really all he needs to do from day one. If I want to drive quietly, all I do is start the vehicle and not press one of the M buttons. So unless I mash it, it will drive electric-only. I recently forced myself to drive that way for two weeks, but it wasn’t nearly as fun to drive. I also didn’t like having to plug-in every two days. If the engine is always running, you literally never need to plug it in to charge.
I have M1 setup to Electric and M2 setup for full beans. I could just not press anything like you say but I think the threshold to turn on ICE is lower in Hybrid mode compared to Electric mode but I haven’t really compared the two. That’s one of the cool things about this car, so many configuration options.
Appreciate 2
Padfan9818.50
XM Label936.00
      03-24-2024, 09:46 AM   #90
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW XM Label

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrikr View Post
I have M1 setup to Electric and M2 setup for full beans. I could just not press anything like you say but I think the threshold to turn on ICE is lower in Hybrid mode compared to Electric mode but I haven’t really compared the two. That’s one of the cool things about this car, so many configuration options.
Totally agree. Without pressing either M button, there is a little bit of a lag when you mash it for the engine to kick in. There is also another setting to start with electric mode on or off. I leave it turned on (which is the default) although I’m normally pressing an M button anyway.

And you’re absolutely right about having so many configuration options. There are some brief moments where I want to go unnoticed in my neighborhood.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2024, 11:24 AM   #91
PNWM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW XM

Quote:
He has the 22s. You can only get the red and black wheels on 22s. There were three of us replying to those parts of the thread, so there may be some confusion as to who’s talking about who. “XM Label” and the OP both have 22s.
Look at Post #50 by OP, saying this is his vehicle, it has 23s, not 22s.
Appreciate 1
      03-24-2024, 11:47 AM   #92
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW XM Label

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWM3 View Post
You’re absolutely right. I can’t see the post number because I’m using the Bimmerpost iOS app; however I did look at his pictures again and he has the same wheels as me with the 23s. I just assumed because most of them ordered with the frozen black metallic pain5 usually get the 22 inch red/black wheels. My mistake.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2024, 12:46 PM   #93
Padfan9
Sergeant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by XM Label View Post
I think it was getting a little late last night and there was some confusion🥱

Electric mode- only use electric motor no ICE (unless you push pedal all the way)

Hybrid- Both electric and ICE but uses electric miles initially especially if comfort drivetrain settings or not pushing gas pedal far

Econtrol- uses both electric and ICE but makes forces ICE use and electric miles are preserved

Two ways to break in engine quickly:
1) econtrol on
2) drive only in hybrid mode with max sport settings

Both of these ways can be assigned to M buttons for quick selections
Thanks! And you also noticed a big difference after the 300 miles?

'22 F92 M8 Competition Coupe - Frozen Brilliant White | 8 Speed DCT | Sakhir Orange/Black Full Leather | M Perf CF Exterior Package | M Perf. CF Exhaust | BBS FI-R 21" Wheels |
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2024, 12:48 PM   #94
Padfan9
Sergeant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Boost gives you a few seconds of added assist from the electric motor for the ICE while driving. I use it to pass people on highway all the time. Activate by pulling and holding paddle shifter and your instrument panel will show you it’s active.
Thank you! So you pull it towards you, not push it forward?

'22 F92 M8 Competition Coupe - Frozen Brilliant White | 8 Speed DCT | Sakhir Orange/Black Full Leather | M Perf CF Exterior Package | M Perf. CF Exhaust | BBS FI-R 21" Wheels |
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2024, 12:51 PM   #95
Padfan9
Sergeant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
We all mean the same thing but VirtualGuitars refer to it as “disable e-control” which to me is confusing as you actually want drive in mode e-control to ensure engine is on all the time. Or just put the powertrain to Sport and it does the same thing.
Ok that was where I was getting confused as I couldn’t find a way to disable. So I want to select e control vs hybrid or electric and in addition to that, keep it in sport plus etc.

One other thing. Is there a way to have the car start up in e control va electric ? So I don’t have to always “turn it on” and I noticed the car keeps turning off after a few seconds if I don’t switch to sport or start driving.

I guess I always press M1/2 in my M8 anyways but when I turn the car on it’s growling either way.

Appreciate 0
      03-24-2024, 12:54 PM   #96
Padfan9
Sergeant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I’m so confused. The pictures you posted of your car have the 23s…
Funny story… I had started signing my paperwork on an frozen XM label at one dealer and was reading all of your comments and got a text from a broker with a way better deal so I bolted out of there and bought from the broker. First XM had 23s and the one I actually bought has 22s with the red accents, car was otherwise the exact same.

See below; first (2) vs second (3) (my new car) they delivered from another city a few hours away.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      03-24-2024, 12:57 PM   #97
Padfan9
Sergeant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
1 AM?!? I’m “only” 47 and can barely stay awake past 11 PM these days LOL.

For me the confusing part is the term “disable e-control” as that option doesn’t exist. We have three drive modes:

Electric - full EV
Hybrid - mix between EV and ICE
E-Control - maintain or charge the battery

So what you want to do is actually be in E-Control mode for the ICE to run all the time to break in the engine.

I can’t remember if it also requires the Powertrain to be in Sport mode. I have a hunch it does as I remember enabling that on my first day and honestly haven’t changed it since, even after I changed my M2 button to Hybrid mode. But I could be wrong about that.
This is super helpful, thanks! I think I understand now. I have to understand everything as fast as possible haha.. I didn’t realize this car would be so different than my other M cars.

Do you have your breaking on max or min?

Appreciate 0
      03-24-2024, 12:58 PM   #98
Padfan9
Sergeant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Totally agree. Without pressing either M button, there is a little bit of a lag when you mash it for the engine to kick in. There is also another setting to start with electric mode on or off. I leave it turned on (which is the default) although I’m normally pressing an M button anyway.

And you’re absolutely right about having so many configuration options. There are some brief moments where I want to go unnoticed in my neighborhood.
How do you start with it off? And is that possible now or not until 300 miles?

Appreciate 0
      03-24-2024, 01:00 PM   #99
Padfan9
Sergeant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I explained what happened below.. I jumped the gun excited and posted the car but you guys convinced me the deal wasn’t good enough so I literally left the finance guys office .

Appreciate 0
      03-24-2024, 01:02 PM   #100
Padfan9
Sergeant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You’re absolutely right. I can’t see the post number because I’m using the Bimmerpost iOS app; however I did look at his pictures again and he has the same wheels as me with the 23s. I just assumed because most of them ordered with the frozen black metallic pain5 usually get the 22 inch red/black wheels. My mistake.
Sorry, see below for the explanation on this situation. When we were all talking in the deal thread, I thought I was going home w the XM w 23s and signed the DMV paperwork, then read all of your responses on how the deal wasn’t good at all and got a text from other dealers and a broker with a way better price, so I literally walked out mid signature and went home. The next day I ended up negotiating more and got the same car but it had 22s. I did like the 23s but it came w blue calipers, and mine came w red, so if I want to change the wheels that would be the only thing I’d have to change (in reality I’d probably add a tube and intake if they made it for this car)

Appreciate 0
      03-24-2024, 02:47 PM   #101
XM Label
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: XM/XB7

Garage List
2024 XM Label  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padfan9 View Post
Thanks! And you also noticed a big difference after the 300 miles?
Yes
Appreciate 1
Padfan9818.50
      03-24-2024, 02:48 PM   #102
XM Label
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 XM Label  [0.00]
Quote:
Thank you! So you pull it towards you, not push it forward?
Yes
Appreciate 1
Padfan9818.50
      03-24-2024, 02:51 PM   #103
XM Label
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 XM Label  [0.00]
Quote:
This is super helpful, thanks! I think I understand now. I have to understand everything as fast as possible haha.. I didn’t realize this car would be so different than my other M cars.

Do you have your breaking on max or min?
Braking on max for me to maximize regen. That being said it doesn’t slow down like a true EV at all when you let off gas. XM is not as abrupt even in max braking settings
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2024, 02:53 PM   #104
XM Label
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 XM Label  [0.00]
Quote:
How do you start with it off? And is that possible now or not until 300 miles?
When you start the XM it is always in hybrid and e control off modes. You can’t change this. Because that is the default setting, I set M1 to electric only mode and M2 to e control mode and max sport settings/transmission. So with a push of one button I can have any mode I want to.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2024, 02:57 PM   #105
Padfan9
Sergeant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
When you start the XM it is always in hybrid and e control off modes. You can’t change this. Because that is the default setting, I set M1 to electric only mode and M2 to e control mode and max sport settings/transmission. So with a push of one button I can have any mode I want to.
Thank you! Super helpful.

Last Q (for now). My plug won’t come out right now, I am pressing down on the grey top part and pulling hard and it won’t release. Am I doing something wrong? I feel like an idiot…

Appreciate 0
      03-24-2024, 03:02 PM   #106
Padfan9
Sergeant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Never mind! I figured it out. I changed the setting inside to unlock.

Appreciate 0
      03-24-2024, 03:07 PM   #107
Padfan9
Sergeant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I think it was getting a little late last night and there was some confusion🥱

Electric mode- only use electric motor no ICE (unless you push pedal all the way)

Hybrid- Both electric and ICE but uses electric miles initially especially if comfort drivetrain settings or not pushing gas pedal far

Econtrol- uses both electric and ICE but makes forces ICE use and electric miles are preserved

Two ways to break in engine quickly:
1) econtrol on
2) drive only in hybrid mode with max sport settings

Both of these ways can be assigned to M buttons for quick selections
Something a bit odd today, when I went in to change my settings to e control vs hybrid, for M1/2, I noticed my M1 had reverted to comfort drivetrain, but I had set up sport plus everything. I wonder if it’s because I chose hybrid vs e control on M2 ? Weird.

Anyways, I switched both M1/2 to e control, sport plus max energy sport plus chassis, sport steering and break and 4wd sport, so I have the same setting on both until I figure out if there’s a different setting I like.

Appreciate 0
      03-24-2024, 04:35 PM   #108
XM Label
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 XM Label  [0.00]
Quote:
Something a bit odd today, when I went in to change my settings to e control vs hybrid, for M1/2, I noticed my M1 had reverted to comfort drivetrain, but I had set up sport plus everything. I wonder if it’s because I chose hybrid vs e control on M2 ? Weird.

Anyways, I switched both M1/2 to e control, sport plus max energy sport plus chassis, sport steering and break and 4wd sport, so I have the same setting on both until I figure out if there’s a different setting I like.
That is weird. There have been few electronic glitches with my settings over the past few months but they have worked themself out. I wonder if that is the case. If you set M1 to econtrol or hybrid the settings you choose for drivetrain should remain.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2024, 04:44 PM   #109
Bornagain73
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 IX 50

Nice
That was on my local dealers showroom floor
Congrats
Appreciate 1
Padfan9818.50
      03-24-2024, 05:23 PM   #110
Padfan9
Sergeant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bornagain73 View Post
Nice
That was on my local dealers showroom floor
Congrats
South Bay BMW?

Appreciate 1