F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > F30 330e Acceleration Judder
GetBMWParts

02-05-2024, 08:30 PM   #67
inez
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e

I have a 2017 330e with less than 40k miles on it, and my symptoms are:
* when idle/parked and I press gas pedal car starts to shake a little bit,
* when accelerating the motion is not smooth, but only when it seems to be switching between the gears - the more rapid acceleration, the more jerky.
I took it to the dealer that sold it to me at 25k miles, and they want to replace entire mechatronics unit which will cost about half as much as I paid for the car - which is very not ideal.
Any tips?
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2024, 03:01 PM   #68
ciprian330e
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmwf30 330e

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330ed View Post
More research and info for this thread.

The issue only happens when the oil cooler stat opens starting at 69°C and fully open by 75°C. For me the car drives perfectly before the stat opens.

I confirmed this by using Bimmerlink to monitor the trans temp while driving around.

My theory is that when the stat opens its starves the sump of oil causing the transmission oil to be too low for certain gears.

I attempted to top up the gearbox oil following the ZF procedure and it has improved the issue somewhat, I used to get the judder at 69°C exactly and now it needs to be hotter, i.e. when the valve is fully open. I may try to get more oil into it, but to be honest I followed ZF's procedure exactly so I not sure how I'm going to get more in for the 0.5 overfill, it was dripping out, but perhaps I need to be more aggressive forcing it in before closing fill plug. Its a tricky procedure.

In any event here is the procedure. Note: You will need to keep the engine running during the procedure. If you don't, the transmission will piss out oil when you open the fill plug. Its tricky given the Auto stop start likes to cut it out on regular intervals and there is no button to disable in the 330e. Your options are have another person rev it periodically during the fill to keep it running or code auto stop start out temporary with bimmercode (you need to have the engine running during coding to do this - its a bit of a hack and you will get a light on the dash but its only temporary and can easily be coded back).

ZF 8HP automatic transmission: Checking the oil level
  1. Start the engine.
  2. Check transmission oil temperature Toil
    • a. Toil = 30 °C – 50 °C
  3. Maintain the engine speed at 2,000 rpm for 30 s (fill torque converter - there is none in the 330e but no harm ).
    • a. Let engine run at idle speed.
  4. Check transmission oil temperature Toil
  5. Select position P, R and D. Manually shift D1 and D2.
    • a. Hold each gear for approx. 10 seconds.
  6. Check transmission oil temperature T
  7. Open the oil fill lock screw.
  8. Does oil run out of the filling hole?
    • a. YES: Wait until only single drops come from the filling hole.
      b. NO: Fill the Oil until it runs out of the filler hole.
      • i. First Check? Yes: Overfill with 0.5 l
      • ii. First Check? No: Go to step 9
  9. Close the oil fill screw plug (35Nm).
    • a. Drive the vehicle until the valve opens
    • b. (T 69°C to 75°C).
  10. Allow to cool down.
    • a. Repeat steps 1-9 until only single drops come from the filling hole.
Hello!
Same problem here and i can’t figured out. Any solutions or details?
Appreciate 0