soflacarguy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: g42 (ordered)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricochet48 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by soflacarguy View Post
We've seen the ID8 haters exaggerate a bit, but the level of exaggeration in this post tops everything I've read so far lol.

1. Higher resolution is dependent on the "faster" processor because ID8 running efficiently will require more computing power. That doesn't mean ID8 will actually run "faster" than ID7. It comes down to the coding and resource efficiency when dealing with computing. A non boomer should understand this.
Has to have a faster processor based on all the videos posted. The only valid complaint aside from aesthetics I've heard is the AC controls. I almost never use that and you can have it locked on the bottom of the screen it seems.

Quote:

2. Much higher resale value is laughable. This isn't an LCI. In 3-4 years a '22 G42 with a proper stick and dash integrated cockpit will be much more scarce, and likely garner similar resale at the very least compared to '23's or even '24's. Now if we get an LCI with an ID8 nicely integrated into the dash among other updates- all 1st gen g42's will take a hit in resale.
It absolutely will. Younger people like big curved screens. Out with the lads last night and all but 1 preferred the new setup

Quote:

3. Iphone 4 vs Iphone 6? Choosing these 2 obsolete devices for your comparison actually sounds like a boomer's metaphor quite frankly. Iphone 8 to Iphone X would've made more sense with the move to face id and home button removal lol
My last iPhone was a 4 when they were the best option, so that's where I naturally started the comparison. Have only used androids since (starting with the S2 Skyrocket the first to have LTE on ATT) as I actually care about tech performance. No tech dudes actually use iPhones, they are for instagram gals.

Quote:

4. My favorite perhaps, is the reference to parents who prefer to drive a 15 year old MDX over a 100k MB. It was here when I knew your post must be a troll. Nonetheless I enjoyed replying back.
? This is just a fact m8. My parents are absolutely terrible with tech and hate their MB. They love that they don't even have to lock their MDX. Taking a $100K MB to Chicago is just asking for trouble.

Quote:

Im a Techie, I work in Tech, and I love cars. Im all for better graphics and higher resolution, but it's the dash integration that bugs me most. I do have a deposit on a G87 and my issue is not with the software that is ID8 or the bigger curved screen - I think it might actually be pretty cool - its the way its slapped on the dash I dislike. Not a deal killer though. I'm willing to give it a shot.

If you're a "techie" you likely want the best tech. You are just claiming you prefer a look. So you care much more about looks than tech specs. That's fine, but the opposite of what most techies would prefer.
1. I said it had to be a faster processor lol. Doesn't mean it will "run" faster. Hopefully ID8 is not a resource hog.

2. The lads don't determine resale, supply vs demand will. There's only 1 MY of the G42 with a stick and integrated dash. Even if more people prefer the big screen, the lower availability of ID7 means demand will outweigh supply.

3. Your comparison remains illogical. If iPhones are for "Instagram Gals" then ID8 with a nub instead of a stick is for posers?

4. Your parents are in the minority. Most owners and drivers of 100k automobiles are indeed "Boomers." Follow the money lad.

Yes, I am a techie- and techies know that not all new tech is always better. I dislike the aesthetics as it feels cheaply done, but I already stated I'm willing to give it a shot. There's a reason the higher end Teslas include an integrated dash screen where the cheaper Teslas have the single tablet. Take a look at what Lucid and Rivian have done - techies love it.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2022, 05:43 PM   #134
MPR
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 BMW M240i

Being a 'techie' doesn't mean it's 100% about always having the newest tech, other things matter, too. Would you want the newest smartphone tech if it was the size of a tablet or some other awkward design?
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2022, 05:53 PM   #135
LivingInSalt
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobHen View Post
Here is just one example of “many” from other brands of sports cars. The image is of a 2022 Porsche 911 GT3
We’re not comparing ID8 to other brands. We’re comparing ID8 to ID7. Only difference is 2 screens vs 1 big one and how it’s integrated into the dash.

But somehow ID8 makes it not a sports car and ID7 offers an emotional experience
Appreciate 2
      08-07-2022, 05:57 PM   #136
OriginalFake
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240i

Quote:
Here is just one example of “many” from other brands of sports cars. The image is of a 2022 Porsche 911 GT3

What do you see? 2 screens separated by plastic bits. However, Porsche has retained the dials. And in true form, Porsche has shown the tachometer large and in the center. They haven’t gone to one large screen with a video game-like display that is bolted onto the dashboard like an “afterthought”. It would no doubt be “cheaper” to do that “across all” Porsche models. If the Porsche 911 buyer doesn’t care, why has Porsche retained the current look? If actual performance is all that matters, why has Porsche retained the current look?

If performance is all that matters, why does the Ferrari SF90 and many other sports/performance cars have a similar Porsche-like layout?

I don’t know if people want to define the BMW M240i as a sports or performance car. But BMW has made the M240i faster than a Porsche Cayman GT3 manual and faster than BMW’s M2 from just a few years ago. So that screams performance car to me, “and not SUV”.

[B]HERE is a link to Motormouth Canada and a video titled: the 5 worst trends in the automotive industry. Start a the 6-minute mark and see how they feel about eliminating shifters and buttons and moving to more screen functionality. BMW is specifically called out in the video.

These same discussions and points are going on in other sporty BMW model forums as well. Some seem okay. Some are holding their nose and buying because of other BMW attributes, like performance. And some are shopping elsewhere. It’s the last group that should be a concern to BMW, if it’s actually a third, well, that’s a lot.

Bob
You're comparing a Porsche 911 GT3 to an M240i. That's where you lost me. The Porsche is an actual sports car. The BMW is a sporty coupe.
Appreciate 4
Zaxer240.50
KJ10496.00
      08-07-2022, 06:02 PM   #137
harcos
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 240i xdrive

After 27 years of VW, I let myself be tempted by BMW.
At first I looked at the 135 then a little by chance, the 2 was present on the site in thundernight.
I ended up falling for her after waiting to see her in person.

BUT
- I don't think I'm a baby boomer (I'm not yet 50), although I've never had a smartphone or Apple.
My Nokia 3310 is fine for me.
- I didn't take the golf R because it was all digital (on my 7.5, fingerprints are already enough for me)
- 5000 difference between the 135 (it would have been an individual color therefore more expensive) and 240 convinced me to make an effort)
- RS3 too expensive. S3 we had an agreement, but it remains a "sub" RS3.
- I always wanted a car with "buttons"
- after 27 years of manuals, I take an automatic and I still wanted a "stick shift"
- I still have the feeling that I got "fucked" after ordering (ID7 to ID8) but I don't think I have any regrets
- I don't regret having ordered it when I see the future future technologies ("intelligent" speed limiter !!!!), hoping that mine still remembers the deactivation of the lane assistant
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2022, 07:01 PM   #138
ZeusHorkios
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240i xDrive

The biggest con of the iD7 system that I can think of is that BMW will most likely stop developing and improving it's software which will in turn make the software outdated in 2-3 years.

With iD8, BMW will keep on developing and improving the software in that time period and make it more mature.

And if they listen to customer feedback, they can add more climate control shortcuts (fan speed, air vent configuration, seat warming, etc) to the bottom of the screen than just temperature and the climate control menu shortcut and that should address 90% of the complaints about the iD8 climate control.
Appreciate 2
KJ10496.00
      08-07-2022, 10:07 PM   #139
jakek66
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 M440i GC / '23 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikotic View Post
So the 3 series from 2019-2023 has now seen 3 different dash/screen setups lol.
2019 was original gauges
2020-2022 was the Digital Gauge Cluster
2023 we have the 1 round screen

Who's got bets on whats next? lol
2019 was the same setup as 2020-2022. They all offered a “base” version with more normal dials, if that’s what you meant?
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2022, 10:21 PM   #140
Ricochet48
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 RSX-S

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeusHorkios View Post
The biggest con of the iD7 system that I can think of is that BMW will most likely stop developing and improving it's software which will in turn make the software outdated in 2-3 years.

With iD8, BMW will keep on developing and improving the software in that time period and make it more mature.

And if they listen to customer feedback, they can add more climate control shortcuts (fan speed, air vent configuration, seat warming, etc) to the bottom of the screen than just temperature and the climate control menu shortcut and that should address 90% of the complaints about the iD8 climate control.
This is a huge point people are glossing over. Old tech doesn't get updates.

Once again, the climate control fix seems really, really easy (and I could not care less tbh).
Appreciate 1
      08-07-2022, 10:26 PM   #141
Ricochet48
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 RSX-S

Quote:
1. I said it had to be a faster processor lol. Doesn't mean it will "run" faster. Hopefully ID8 is not a resource hog.

2. The lads don't determine resale, supply vs demand will. There's only 1 MY of the G42 with a stick and integrated dash. Even if more people prefer the big screen, the lower availability of ID7 means demand will outweigh supply.

3. Your comparison remains illogical. If iPhones are for "Instagram Gals" then ID8 with a nub instead of a stick is for posers?

4. Your parents are in the minority. Most owners and drivers of 100k automobiles are indeed "Boomers." Follow the money lad.

Yes, I am a techie- and techies know that not all new tech is always better. I dislike the aesthetics as it feels cheaply done, but I already stated I'm willing to give it a shot. There's a reason the higher end Teslas include an integrated dash screen where the cheaper Teslas have the single tablet. Take a look at what Lucid and Rivian have done - techies love it.

1. From all the videos online (and experiences posted here), it's quite snappy
2. The lads are an example of demand... ID7 might 4x as rare, but have 1/5th the demand (or less)...
3. Huh?
4. Yes, my parents are boomers as are most that own $100K automobiles... duh. Their tech understanding is similar to their friends.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2022, 10:51 PM   #142
donnyfontaine
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Porsche macan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricochet48 View Post
1. From all the videos online (and experiences posted here), it's quite snappy
2. The lads are an example of demand... ID7 might 4x as rare, but have 1/5th the demand (or less)...
3. Huh?
4. Yes, my parents are boomers as are most that own $100K automobiles... duh. Their tech understanding is similar to their friends.
have you used iD8 in person? it's not smooth. it operates like it has a lower refresh rate, or at least the one at my dealer did. both of the reviewers here complain about the entire system just being slower too

https://www.autoblog.com/2022/07/01/...5g398Wm6CXCVp5

i think the LCI update will be sweet, hopefully by then BMW sorts out a proper way to integrate screens that look cohesive/purposeful and perform well
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2022, 11:55 PM   #143
sikotic
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340I

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakek66 View Post
2019 was the same setup as 2020-2022. They all offered a “base” version with more normal dials, if that’s what you meant?
If I remember correctly the 330i came out in 2019 without the digital dash option yet. It wasn't until when the M340I came out a year later in 2020 they brought the option for the digital cockpit. Same with the X3 and X4 when I test drove them. It wasn't until 2020 when they all got the updates screens or at least the option for it. * Edit nvm you're right I just found a blue 330i specced with a digital screen!

Last edited by sikotic; 08-08-2022 at 12:01 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2022, 03:36 AM   #144
meyer1son
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240i rwd

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikotic View Post
If I remember correctly the 330i came out in 2019 without the digital dash option yet. It wasn't until when the M340I came out a year later in 2020 they brought the option for the digital cockpit. Same with the X3 and X4 when I test drove them. It wasn't until 2020 when they all got the updates screens or at least the option for it. * Edit nvm you're right I just found a blue 330i specced with a digital screen!
It was an optional upgrade. Just like My22 230.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2022, 05:24 AM   #145
BobHen
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 2022 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginalFake View Post
You're comparing a Porsche 911 GT3 to an M240i. That's where you lost me. The Porsche is an actual sports car. The BMW is a sporty coupe.
Did you read the 4th paragraph in my post where I said..."I don’t know if people want to define the BMW M240i as a sports or performance car. But BMW has made the M240i faster than a Porsche Cayman GT3 manual and faster than BMW’s M2 from just a few years ago. So that screams performance car to me, “and not SUV”.[/U]

Bob
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2022, 06:14 AM   #146
LivingInSalt
Major
Rep

So the F87 M2 is not a sports car, because it has two big digital screens and no analog gauges
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2022, 07:48 AM   #147
OriginalFake
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240i

Quote:

Did you read the 4th paragraph in my post where I said..."I don’t know if people want to define the BMW M240i as a sports or performance car. But BMW has made the M240i faster than a Porsche Cayman GT3 manual and faster than BMW’s M2 from just a few years ago. So that screams performance car to me, “and not SUV”.[/U]

Bob
You're creating meaningless comparisons. Just because X car is faster than Y car doesn't make X a sports/performance car.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2022, 08:18 AM   #148
CarsAndGuitars
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i

To me the ID8 screen in any model looks/feels like something in a people-mover..oriented for everyone in the vehicle, as opposed to ID7 which is driver-focused.

For that reason, it looks more appropriate in a 4+ occupant/ 4 door
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2022, 08:26 AM   #149
LivingInSalt
Major
Rep

Quote:
Is a C8 Corvette a sports car?

Appreciate 3
eddj464.50
      08-08-2022, 10:06 AM   #150
soflacarguy
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingInSalt View Post
Quote:

Not sure if you realize this resembles ID 7 not ID8 lol. People here might get confused as this photo isn't a good angle lol.

It's 2 separate screens. The first screen is integrated into the dash.

You get a good look around the 1:15 mark.
Appreciate 1
      08-08-2022, 10:08 AM   #151
LivingInSalt
Major
Rep

Quote:
Not sure if you realize this resembles ID 7 not ID8 lol. People here might get confused as this photo isn't a good angle lol.

Right. So, 2 screens = sports car, 1 screen = not a sports car. Gotcha.

so the G87 will also not be a sports car

I'm just trying to keep all this straight. Because I'm also hearing that digital gauges = not a sports car
Appreciate 1
      08-08-2022, 10:11 AM   #152
soflacarguy
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Right. So, 2 screens = sports car, 1 screen = not a sports car. Gotcha.

so the G87 will also not be a sports car
Did I say that?

No.

Simply clarifying the bad angle in the photo lol.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2022, 10:35 AM   #153
BobHen
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 2022 M240i

Quote:

Is the Corvette a sports car?

Yes.

In the Corvette, the screens are separate and the dash is integrated into the design and "not" a bolt-on afterthought that can also be used on SUVs or any other Chevy model. The layout is “unique” to the Corvette making it feel unique and "special" to Corvette owners.

Chevy/GM could have put a Malibu 2-screen dash layout in the Corvette to save money. How special would a Corvette owner feel if his Corvette had the exact same dash layout as in a Chevy Malibu?

Also, in 3 out of the 4 custom modes shown, a “large”, “dial-like gage” is shone “right in the center”, right where it should be. It appears to be a tachometer or speedometer depending on what mode is selected. From what is shone, only in track mode does the dial gage disappear and is replaced with large numbers.

I'll take the Corvette's, integrated, 2-screen, dash layout and configurable dial-like gages over BMW's ID8 any day.

Bob
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2022, 10:46 AM   #154
HotsauzF82
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240i X-Drive

Garage List
Quote:
Not sure really...it sounds like a number of people are getting sent back to 111 so it could just be coincidence that yours did too, or it may be common after changes are made.
Just spoke with the Genius, and now i'm pushed back to week 40!!!!! WTF
Appreciate 0