BMW 2 Series Technical Topics (G42) Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

10-10-2022, 09:08 AM   #23
oldbmwtech
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWIZ View Post
I appreciate any advice you can offer on the pad change. Though I'll have to stick with the stock pads as well if my order fails to arrive on time. If it does arrive early, there's always the possibility that I mess up the install somehow. We'll see. Best of luck to you.
The stock pads did much better than I thought. I'm hard on brakes and they lasted no problems. The tires gave way after several laps, that was more of a concern than brakes. The brakes did fade at the end to be expected. This car is totally awesome on the track. I was keeping up with the 911s passed a few too. There was a new M3 and I passed him multiple times. Down the straights we were even but I was way faster in the turns. Might not have been the car but the driver might need more experience. I had 3 instructors and all 3 were very impressed with the vehicle. Also, the instructors in PCA were great. I highly recommend them.

I did damage at least one tire. Shame cause this car has less than 2k miles. The Michelins were OK for track but will not buy again. For street they are great. This car is very forgiven if you make a mistake you can correct it easily. I had traction control off and DCS on. I read this somewhere in an article for track use and I was very happy with it.
Go out have fun and be safe.Please report back to me after your track event.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2022, 02:34 PM   #24
GWIZ
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 230i M Sport, '22 330ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbmwtech View Post
The stock pads did much better than I thought. I'm hard on brakes and they lasted no problems. The tires gave way after several laps, that was more of a concern than brakes. The brakes did fade at the end to be expected. This car is totally awesome on the track. I was keeping up with the 911s passed a few too. There was a new M3 and I passed him multiple times. Down the straights we were even but I was way faster in the turns. Might not have been the car but the driver might need more experience. I had 3 instructors and all 3 were very impressed with the vehicle. Also, the instructors in PCA were great. I highly recommend them.

I did damage at least one tire. Shame cause this car has less than 2k miles. The Michelins were OK for track but will not buy again. For street they are great. This car is very forgiven if you make a mistake you can correct it easily. I had traction control off and DCS on. I read this somewhere in an article for track use and I was very happy with it.
Go out have fun and be safe.Please report back to me after your track event.
Your stock pads showing some lasting power is welcome news. My pads may not arrive in time, so I am prepared to put the OEMs to the test. I must say that I am curious to know how well they hold up when pushed hard, but would still rather swap them out for the dedicated track pads. Like you, I tend not to baby the brakes.

It sounds like you were able to put the car to work and it delivered some excitement in return, even with the street-oriented pads/tires. I have always found the PS4S to excel at "energetic" street driving, but its limits are easy to surpass on a track.

I'm glad the car performed well overall for you... certainly sounds like you were able to effectively get power to the ground in corners and on the straights for the event's duration.

I'll share how things end up going for me.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2022, 11:42 AM   #25
oldbmwtech
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i

I did ruin 2 Front tires. I found camber plates from Vorshlag. BimmerWorld has them too.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2023, 02:06 PM   #26
Ca86108
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i

Hello,

I want to bring this thread back. Since it is now 2023, did anyone find any available track pads for the NON ZTK package? I do not have the high performance and cooling package, so basic M Sport brakes. I am trying to find a track pad that fits these calipers. However, most people ive seen only got pads for the ZTK package.

If you were able to secure track pads for the standard brakes, please link me. Thank you!
Appreciate 0