BMW 2 Series Technical Topics (G42) Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

04-19-2022, 08:25 PM   #1
BeemerBaron
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW

Performance Brake Pads

Has anyone tried upgrading pads as yet?

Assuming the M240i is running the same disc/pad set up as the new Z4/Supra, I've been looking at the Hawk range;

*Street Race Pads ('R' Compound Code)*
While the High Performance Street/Race pad is ideal for many aggressive drivers that own high performance street cars, it does produce a bit of noise and dust.

* Aggressive Torque
* Great Rotor and Pad Wear Life
* 100-1200°F Operating Temperatures
* Smooth and Predictable Control
* Designed to Deliver High Deceleration Rates
* Smooth Braking Feel
* Consistent Brake Release Characteristics

*High Performance Street 5.0 ('B' Compound Code)*
The new High Performance Street 5.0 Pads are a Ferro-Carbon compound brake pads that provide advanced braking characteristics to enhance the driving experience. This new compound combines the safety and quality of aerospace design partnered with the braking technology of motorsports, the results are shorter stopping distances, improved performance under heavy braking conditions and street car friendly characteristics.

* Pushing the Limits of ABS
* Decreased stopping distances
* Improved pedal feel from initial pressure through entire pedal stroke
* Minimal fade under Higher Temps
* High friction/torque hot or cold
* Gentle on rotors
* Very quiet, low noise
* Improved braking over OE pads
* Extended pad life

*HPS ('F' Compound Code)*
When it comes to performance braking, there is no competition. This unique Ferro-Carbon compound combines the safety and quality of Aerospace design partnered with the braking technology of motorsports. Much improved braking over OE and standard replacement brake pads. Recommended for import & domestic automobiles.

* Increased Stopping Power
* High Friction/Torque Hot or Cold
* Gentle on Rotors
* Extended Pad Life
* Low Dust
* Virtually Noise-Free

*Performance Ceramic ('Z' Compound Code)*
Performance Ceramic is engineered to reduce brake NVH (Noise, Vibration and Harshness) creating a quieter performing brake pad. Furthermore, the ceramic brake pad formula has a linear friction profile that allows your ABS brake system to work more effectively. With Performance Ceramic you can expect reduced brake pad wear, lower dust output levels and a rotor-friendly brake pad.

* Increased Stopping Power
* Increased Rotor Life
* Extended Pad Life
* Ultra-Low Dust
* Extremely Quiet
* Stable Friction Output

*HP Plus ('N' Compound Code)*
HP Plus utilizes a unique Ferro-Carbon, high-tech friction material that was developed and manufactured for sport driving in autocross, Solo II and “track day” applications. The Ferro-Carbon formulation offers lower wear rates and higher torque values than other competitive materials.

Extremely high coefficient of friction makes HP Plus the perfect upgrade over stock for high performance streetcars used in autocross competition or that experience repetitive, heavy braking.

* Extremely High Friction Output
* Fade Resistant
* Worthy for Autocross & Club Racing Events
Appreciate 3
      04-19-2022, 11:15 PM   #2
Caerus
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M240ix

I am ready to order Cool Carbon S/T. I have used them in the past on BMWs and they work great, are quiet, dust half as much and the dust color is lighter gray. This is for my daily driver and I won't be taking it to the race track.

These appear to be similar to Performance Ceramic ('Z' Compound Code) in the Hawk lineup.

If I tracked the car I would get dedicated race pads from Performance Friction or Pagid.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2022, 12:51 AM   #3
ryo-
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 MWM M240i

some people state that the OEM brake pedal feel is not the greatest... I wonder if pads and SS lines would tighten it up a bit to make a noticeable improvement. in a braking test (from carwow I believe), the G42 out performed other vehicles so I am not sure what to think..
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2022, 03:23 PM   #4
Caerus
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M240ix

There is nothing wrong with the brakes on this car. I drove 2022 M240ix at the BMW performance drivers school and they performed great. Did repeated panic brake stops from up to 60 mph and they worked as they are supposed to. The brake pedal is a little more boosted then some, but the pedal pressure was firm, but not to hard. I did not require any acclamation time to get used to them. The instructors were very excited to get this car in the fleet and they love the performance overall.

I have taken my car up to 100 and made a quick deceleration to 40 and the balance was fine, no big front end dive, pedal modulation was firm. Just did what they are supposed to do with no drama.

For street driving, no need for SS brake lines. For race track use, I always change over to SS lines and high temp fluid.

I suspect some wahoo reviewer on youtube decided to put down the brakes on this car with no basis and other reviewers piled on like lemmings. Such a pity, because they work fine. Now with the Carwow test, that dispels the notion that they are not great. They functioned fine and beat the other test cars (MB, Audi).
Appreciate 8
jpcoop364.00
ryo-250.50
Red_sir131.50
jbazz256.50
SN1P3211.50
      05-08-2022, 06:32 AM   #5
BeemerBaron
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caerus View Post
There is nothing wrong with the brakes on this car. I drove 2022 M240ix at the BMW performance drivers school and they performed great. Did repeated panic brake stops from up to 60 mph and they worked as they are supposed to. The brake pedal is a little more boosted then some, but the pedal pressure was firm, but not to hard. I did not require any acclamation time to get used to them. The instructors were very excited to get this car in the fleet and they love the performance overall.

I have taken my car up to 100 and made a quick deceleration to 40 and the balance was fine, no big front end dive, pedal modulation was firm. Just did what they are supposed to do with no drama.

For street driving, no need for SS brake lines. For race track use, I always change over to SS lines and high temp fluid.

I suspect some wahoo reviewer on youtube decided to put down the brakes on this car with no basis and other reviewers piled on like lemmings. Such a pity, because they work fine. Now with the Carwow test, that dispels the notion that they are not great. They functioned fine and beat the other test cars (MB, Audi).

I agree there's nothing wrong with the braking performance. They could do with a little more feel, was hoping a mild pad change might do the trick.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2022, 12:15 PM   #6
Rdurty2
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i

Everyone started complaining about the brakes (when lots didn’t even have the car) after the smoking tire bozos criticized the brakes. So it’s just an echo chamber at this point on this forum of people thinking they are bad because some guy on YouTube said as such.

I think the brakes are great in the limited driving I’ve done since getting the car a few days ago.
Appreciate 1
      05-13-2022, 12:16 PM   #7
conradb58
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240I Thundernight Metall

Depends on the application in which the car will be utilized. For me the brakes are an issue. For someone who will never track..why complain ?
      08-03-2022, 04:20 PM   #8
Thundernight
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240xi

All,

Circling back on this thread since a few months have past and I am also looking to upgrade to a racing brake pad. As of writing, I have not actually tracked the car, but will be doing an SCCA sponsored event at Thompson on August 9th. The M240xi is a heavy car, and although I have the M Performance brake package (ZTK), I am expecting the pad compound to loose friction and glaze in the higher temperature ranges. This would make the Hawk DTC compounds an ideal option for track days.

For a 2022 BMW M240xi with the cooling and high performance tire package (ZTK), the part numbers are the following:
Front Brake Pad (Set): 34-11-6-889-585
Rear Brake Pad (Set): 34-20-6-888-345

Front Brake Rotor: 34-10-6-895-647 (left), 34-10-6-895-648 (right)
Rear Brake Rotor: 34-20-6-880-079 (need two)

Front Sensor: 34-35-6-870-353 (need two)
Rear Sensor: 34-35-6-870-354 (need two)
Interestingly, although the front rotors are larger diameter (374x36mm) than the standard rotors (345x24mm), the front brake pads are unchanged.
I took a look at Hawk and was unable to cross reference the front and rear pad plates to an existing product in their catalog. In fact, the only brake pad options that I could find were the existing OEM parts. I even checked vendor sites like Bimmerworld, Turner, and other vendors, but no luck.. It looks like we are stuck with the OEM pad compounds until a third party vendor offers aftermarket support.

Has anyone else tried sourcing a G42 brake pad for racing/motorsports applications? The front and rear pads are shared across the G2x M340/M440, G30 530/540/M550i (with S2NH brakes), G11/G12 740/750i/M760Li/Alpina B7, and G05 X5 platforms (https://www.getbmwparts.com/oem-part...nt-34116889585). With this many fitments, it is hard to believe that there is no aftermarket support yet.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2022, 08:54 PM   #9
oldbmwtech
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundernight View Post
All,

Circling back on this thread since a few months have past and I am also looking to upgrade to a racing brake pad. As of writing, I have not actually tracked the car, but will be doing an SCCA sponsored event at Thompson on August 9th. The M240xi is a heavy car, and although I have the M Performance brake package (ZTK), I am expecting the pad compound to loose friction and glaze in the higher temperature ranges. This would make the Hawk DTC compounds an ideal option for track days.

For a 2022 BMW M240xi with the cooling and high performance tire package (ZTK), the part numbers are the following:
Front Brake Pad (Set): 34-11-6-889-585
Rear Brake Pad (Set): 34-20-6-888-345

Front Brake Rotor: 34-10-6-895-647 (left), 34-10-6-895-648 (right)
Rear Brake Rotor: 34-20-6-880-079 (need two)

Front Sensor: 34-35-6-870-353 (need two)
Rear Sensor: 34-35-6-870-354 (need two)
Interestingly, although the front rotors are larger diameter (374x36mm) than the standard rotors (345x24mm), the front brake pads are unchanged.
I took a look at Hawk and was unable to cross reference the front and rear pad plates to an existing product in their catalog. In fact, the only brake pad options that I could find were the existing OEM parts. I even checked vendor sites like Bimmerworld, Turner, and other vendors, but no luck.. It looks like we are stuck with the OEM pad compounds until a third party vendor offers aftermarket support.

Has anyone else tried sourcing a G42 brake pad for racing/motorsports applications? The front and rear pads are shared across the G2x M340/M440, G30 530/540/M550i (with S2NH brakes), G11/G12 740/750i/M760Li/Alpina B7, and G05 X5 platforms (https://www.getbmwparts.com/oem-part...nt-34116889585). With this many fitments, it is hard to believe that there is no aftermarket support yet.
I have found track pads in Pagid RS29 both front and rear also Endless ME20 makes these. Now my question how are you going to replace them without a scan tool. You need to deactivate the rear parking brake? I haven't bought pads yet until I can find a scan tool to do this. I was told Foxwell did this and bought one but it doesn't support ABS or EPB. I need some input and hope someone here can guide me.
This is only my opinion as I'm a retired professional ASE master grease monkey technician, now instructor. Your best teacher is your last mistake. Use what I post at your own risk as you know teachers only know book knowledge.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2022, 06:10 PM   #10
GWIZ
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 230i M Sport, '22 330ix

230i M Sport Brake Pads for Track

I'm looking to install pads for track sessions as well. I have a 230 with M Sport brakes. I'd like pads that can handle heat-/brake-duty for a full-day track event, but that won't have eaten my rotors by day's end.

I think the stock pads will take the abuse, but I'd rather swap the race pads in/out for events only and keep the OEMs in good shape for daily driving.

I'm starting to do research, but there's so little info on the 230i as of yet. If you've done this successfully and don't mind sharing, I would appreciate any info you can provide.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2022, 03:01 PM   #11
danallxt
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240x, 2007 Honda VFR

having tracked this car i agree noting wrong with the brakes, but...
a definite lack of feel and there is a lack of initial bite that i am used to from my previous car (GTI)
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2022, 02:38 PM   #12
oldbmwtech
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by danallxt View Post
having tracked this car i agree noting wrong with the brakes, but...
a definite lack of feel and there is a lack of initial bite that i am used to from my previous car (GTI)
I'm going to track this car in a couple weeks. I bought the Pagid RS29. Word of warning, if you have the engine cooling and tire package these pads are short in height by about 10 mm or so.
This is only my opinion as I'm a retired professional ASE master grease monkey technician, now instructor. Your best teacher is your last mistake. Use what I post at your own risk as you know teachers only know book knowledge.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2022, 08:16 AM   #13
M Division
Captain
Rep
Drives: G87 M2, G42 M24, X6, R34 GTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbmwtech View Post
I'm going to track this car in a couple weeks. I bought the Pagid RS29. Word of warning, if you have the engine cooling and tire package these pads are short in height by about 10 mm or so.
Interesting I wonder what size the correct pads will be
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2022, 09:30 AM   #14
oldbmwtech
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Division View Post
Interesting I wonder what size the correct pads will be
I have heard that Endless ME20 makes the correct pad but they are 6-8 weeks out from time of order.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2022, 06:28 PM   #15
GWIZ
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Where did you buy the Pagids?
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2022, 10:50 AM   #16
oldbmwtech
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWIZ View Post
Where did you buy the Pagids?
LPI Racing

8275-RS29 Fronts update don't fit with ZTK
8276-RS29 Rears

Last edited by oldbmwtech; 10-01-2022 at 08:15 PM..
Appreciate 1
GWIZ61.00
      09-30-2022, 08:51 PM   #17
GWIZ
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
LPI Racing

8275-RS29 Fronts
8276-RS29 Rears
Thanks, before reading your response, I ordered some Porterfield R4 pads front/rear through speadfreaksusa. Brakes on the 230i M Sport and M240ix (non-ZTK) are the same.

AP1867 FRONT
AP2220 REAR

Turnaround and delivery should take 10-15 days. I'll take my 230i for a track day in mid-October near DFW. I'll use the Porterfields if they get here on time. I'd be curious to know how the RS29's work for you on track if you are willing to share later. I'll add LPI Racing to my vendor list.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2022, 10:36 PM   #18
oldbmwtech
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Thanks, before reading your response, I ordered some Porterfield R4 pads front/rear through speadfreaksusa. Brakes on the 230i M Sport and M240ix (non-ZTK) are the same.

AP1867 FRONT
AP2220 REAR

Turnaround and delivery should take 10-15 days. I'll take my 230i for a track day in mid-October near DFW. I'll use the Porterfields if they get here on time. I'd be curious to know how the RS29's work for you on track if you are willing to share later. I'll add LPI Racing to my vendor list.
Speadfreaks are great. I have order from them many times in the past. They are the ones that had the Endless ME20, but I was too late on ordering and Japan sold out so I got the Pagid. The Endless is supposed to be a full pad where Pagid is short by about an inch. I have the ZTK package. I am very limited on selection. By the way I live in Houston. Are you doing track days with the drivers edge? I'm doing a track day with PCA in Oct and TDE in Nov. at MSRH.
Are you replacing the pads yourself? If so how are you deactivating the rear parking brake?

Last edited by oldbmwtech; 09-30-2022 at 10:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2022, 02:23 AM   #19
GWIZ
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Speadfreaks are great. I have order from them many times in the past. They are the ones that had the Endless ME20, but I was too late on ordering and Japan sold out so I got the Pagid. The Endless is supposed to be a full pad where Pagid is short by about an inch. I have the ZTK package. I am very limited on selection. By the way I live in Houston. Are you doing track days with the drivers edge? I'm doing a track day with PCA in Oct and TDE in Nov. at MSRH.
Are you replacing the pads yourself? If so how are you deactivating the rear parking brake?
I've found it challenging to deal with limited stock availability as well, at least for the pads that I prefer most. The Pagids were a top choice. I like the Porterfield specs and think these pads will work well for a day-long HPDE event.

I'm registered for the APEX Lap Attack at MSR Cresson (1.7) on Oct 15. It's going to be crowded, roughly 90 entries as of today. I'm interested in learning more about the Driver's Edge group.

I plan to attempt a DIY install on these pads, a first for me on the G42. Not sure how to do it yet, but you have alerted me to the parking brake issue at least. If I find a useful DIY video/guidebook, I'll post it.

Last edited by GWIZ; 10-01-2022 at 04:55 PM..
Appreciate 1
      10-01-2022, 08:14 PM   #20
oldbmwtech
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Update on the Pagid with the ZTK package 8275. The fronts don't fit. The holes for the pins don't line up the pads fit in the calipers but too short. Going to cancel my track weekend. I don't think stock pads will give me much fun or hold up.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2022, 02:14 PM   #21
oldbmwtech
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I've found it challenging to deal with limited stock availability as well, at least for the pads that I prefer most. The Pagids were a top choice. I like the Porterfield specs and think these pads will work well for a day-long HPDE event.

I'm registered for the APEX Lap Attack at MSR Cresson (1.7) on Oct 15. It's going to be crowded, roughly 90 entries as of today. I'm interested in learning more about the Driver's Edge group.

I plan to attempt a DIY install on these pads, a first for me on the G42. Not sure how to do it yet, but you have alerted me to the parking brake issue at least. If I find a useful DIY video/guidebook, I'll post it.
Advise on removing the front pads. On my calipers, the pads are very tight and I broke off the weights so you must wiggle then back and forth to loosen then up and then they will come out. It looks like the weight or what ever you call them, are there to prevent the pads to go metal to metal on the rotors.
I ordered Endless ME20, they will take 6-8 weeks and going to run stock pads this weekend. Will report back next week.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2022, 12:59 PM   #22
GWIZ
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Advise on removing the front pads. On my calipers, the pads are very tight and I broke off the weights so you must wiggle then back and forth to loosen then up and then they will come out. It looks like the weight or what ever you call them, are there to prevent the pads to go metal to metal on the rotors.
I ordered Endless ME20, they will take 6-8 weeks and going to run stock pads this weekend. Will report back next week.
I appreciate any advice you can offer on the pad change. Though I'll have to stick with the stock pads as well if my order fails to arrive on time. If it does arrive early, there's always the possibility that I mess up the install somehow. We'll see. Best of luck to you.
Appreciate 0