BMW M2 Forums 2023+ (G87) BMW M2 G87 General Topics

04-20-2024, 12:49 PM   #111
fcman
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 G87

Quote:
Originally Posted by robopp View Post
S58 is going on 5 years now so it’s not exactly new.
Its still a current-gen BMW engine. It's as new as it gets for now. Prices are already getting discounted for shorts
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2024, 08:05 PM   #112
SexyRoger
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
Performance Coupe Showdown: 2023 BMW M2 vs. 2024 Ford Mustang Dark Horse

The 453-hp BMW M2 and the 500-hp Ford Mustang Dark Horse take performance coupes to new heights.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...ng-dark-horse/
I find this comparison offensive. Not sure if anyone else does too.

M2 is awesome.

Mustang is great for those who love mustang as what it is a mustang.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2024, 03:22 AM   #113
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by two_three_two View Post
thats what i was referencing. any example of failure of a stock motor NOT related to damage to this component would be news to me personally, but maybe you have more knowledge there.

and as stated... this is now unfortunately part and parcel to modern performance car ownership (corolla example re-linked in case you missed it: https://www.thedrive.com/news/2023-t...-you-dont-want)
I'm familiar with the modern Toyota engine replacement cost as well. I've seen this on the Tundra forums where a replacement engine cost over $25k.

When you track often enough, you need to consider the engine a consumable item. When you do, the cost matters more. If you're getting rid of your G8X before the warranty expires, then it doesn't matter as much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcman View Post
This is pretty much always the case with these cars though. I had a 135i with the N55 back when they were pretty new and replacement shorts were $20k+ back then too, and that was pre-pandemic. Just how it goes with newer models
Yup, I paid about $15k in parts/labor for a new N55 when my N55 self ventilated at VIR. Tried 2 used N55s but they were all junk. You figure if someone had a good used N55, why would they even sell it these days?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcman View Post
Its still a current-gen BMW engine. It's as new as it gets for now. Prices are already getting discounted for shorts
How much of a discount from $25k MSRP for an exchange S58 engine from BMW? Don't forget that if you experience a catastrophic engine failure on a turbocharged engine, chances are you will need to replace your turbos as well.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2024, 03:18 PM   #114
Smilodon
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '24 M2

Y'all realize that this is from a magazine that famously comparison-tested a Ferrari 250 GTO against a Pontiac GTO back in the day, right?

You can compare anything to anything. I think the two cars obviously try to do something similar in a different way, but there are more overall similarities than differences. So in this case, I think it *was* a fair comparison.

But, if the were comparing it to a base Nissan Altima, I would be reading it expecting some fun (and maybe some chagrin if the Altima had a few things your BMW *didn't*).

Anyhow... "offended"? I guess it just shows how easily offended folks are these days.
Appreciate 1
Polo088161613.00
      05-02-2024, 07:48 PM   #115
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

Quote:
Originally Posted by stark_c View Post
Not particularly about pledging alliance or fanboy a brand, they drive very differently, simple as that. Muscle cars are a different breed. Driving dynamics preference does exist.
It's just not possible to make a blanket statement that all German cars feel better to hustle around than all [insert country] cars. There are plenty of GM products that have better driving dynamics than the stuff that comes out of M and AMG, despite them routinely having worse overall packages.

I've been fortunate to drive and track a litany of performance vehicles and it's really a case by case basis

My GT350 was a total driver's car that I would've missed out on if I was the same BMW loyalist I was 15 years ago
Appreciate 2
Polo088161613.00
aerobod3643.00