BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BMW M2 Forums 2023+ (G87) BMW M2 G87 General Topics

04-23-2024, 07:32 PM   #1
DoritoKing
Rep
Drives: Mach 1 HP, ND2 Miata, G87 M2

Rattling gear shift lever

Does anyone else have rattling coming from the manual shift lever under partial acceleration around 2500-3500rpm? Mine seems to make this rattling noise in gears 1, 3, and 5. Pressing on the shift lever or pressing on the shift boot seems to make it go away.

I’m very anxious about bringing it to the dealership since I expect them to scratch all the interior trim trying to diagnose and fix it…
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2024, 08:22 AM   #2
two_three_two
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BSM G87, Mk4 R32

no such issues on mine... removing the center stack trim isn't terribly difficult if you want to try it yourself with a pry tool and some patience
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2024, 09:08 AM   #3
JMcLellan
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2

Nope, I do not experience this with my 6mt. There is an occasional chatter from the car when I let the clutch out in first with little throttle.
      04-24-2024, 10:48 AM   #4
Geighty7
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M2

I’d get it checked out. I’ve never experienced that in my ownership of this car.

Quick trip to BMW maintence will do the trick. Good thing is it doesn’t sound terrible.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2024, 03:53 PM   #5
DoritoKing
Rep

I found a video of the sound from another owner who seems to have the same rattle. https://m.youtube.com/shorts/MJ-Wc6b...oCCltTI5mbYmlp

There’s no issues with the function of the shifter (although it feels like a cheap toy compared to my 2 other manual cars), just this annoying sound. I would rather live with it than let the dealer rip my car around, rip up the interior, and then have the sound still be there. I’ve just heard too many stories of people having to leave their car at the dealer multiple times chasing rattles only to end up with the car worse than before.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2024, 08:10 PM   #6
jawndropper
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2

My shifter is also rattling. Car is only 2 months old. 3500 miles. I am also hesitant
to bring this to a dealer and have them tear apart the interior and break who knows how many clips.

This is my first BMW and it already makes more noises than my 10 year old big turbo GTI. Ontop of that, the steering wheel isn't 100% straight, and the clutch pedal has some weird clicking in it. Pretty disappointing, I expected better spending this much on a car.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/U58Y4OsUgDQ
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2024, 10:11 PM   #7
MineralGreyMetallic
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 24 BGM M2 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawndropper View Post
My shifter is also rattling. Car is only 2 months old. 3500 miles. I am also hesitant
to bring this to a dealer and have them tear apart the interior and break who knows how many clips.

This is my first BMW and it already makes more noises than my 10 year old big turbo GTI. Ontop of that, the steering wheel isn't 100% straight, and the clutch pedal has some weird clicking in it. Pretty disappointing, I expected better spending this much on a car.

My clutch pedal also has a weird click on release. I started a thread about it a few weeks ago.

I'm going to have the dealer look at it Friday during break-in service.

I have the same anxiety regarding interior stuff and breaking clips / causing more rattles.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2024, 08:18 PM   #8
DoritoKing
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawndropper View Post

Sounds just like my rattle. I had a 6 hour drive today and it drove me absolutely insane. I would adjust the shift boot and it would go away, but then after shifting gears and shifting back into a rattling gear, it would come back.

I tried to pull up on the shift boot to unclip it like in this video https://youtu.be/z2z0561MbSk?si=Qt4VlJfBOQxK4u7F but I was unable to get a strong enough grip and couldn’t pull it off. Is the g87 shift boot not clipped in like the g80/82?
Appreciate 0