BMW M2 Forums 2023+ (G87) Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, Tuning Modifications

03-25-2024, 07:54 PM   #45
CadolinaRipr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
Pop open the the SST/Dalher kits, and you'll see they are nothing other than repackaged Arduino boards with generic remotes. You can see the breakdowns in this post: https://g80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...&postcount=179

Awron specializes in CAN/LIN technology, as their main focus is data acquisition and controls modules/harnesses/displays for BMW racing engine swaps.

Awron operates as a gateway device for the controller, intercepting commands, taking into effect engine parameters, and outputting a custom command/operation. EVC signals are intercepted and are controlled via factory CAN commands with additional safeties programmed in place to prevent issues (like valves not opening at all) from happening when you are using a 3rd party controller. The vehicle still does the work, still monitors, and still error checks if something is wrong. Circuit boards are professionally made in house (they have their own pick & place machine) and harnesses are professionally built with BMW/AMP connectors and harnesses matching factory wiring. You couldn't get a better kit if it wasn't offered by BMW themselves, which is a bit ironic to say as Awron was contracted to build the information displays for Alpina.

For Awron engineers, an EVC controller is a walk in the park in the overall scope for their daily tasks.
[LIST][*]The Awron module is also flash-upgradable. Have an idea for a new feature? This can be included in a firmware update and flashed onto the module - making the kit future proof. [*]The Awron is a gateway module that uses [...]
Great info I was unaware of. Happy with SST for what it does, but this good to know regardless. Thanks for sharing.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2024, 01:42 AM   #46
ToneM2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G87 M2

I can appreciate the engineering behind the Awron control, but it sounds like an overly complicated way to open the exhaust valves. An SST controller programed to the garage door button is a simple solution. SST has 4 options if you like, 100% open, 100% closed, a 50% open and OEM operation. In my opinion I only need it open or OEM. I would't set it to close as I think that's unnecessary as OEM operation is quiet enough, even with a mid pipe and don't to worry about it not being open if I go full throttle and it sets off a trouble code. So one button on the mirror is open, one is closed and the third you can still use for your garage door.
Appreciate 2
M2siast5876.00
      03-26-2024, 08:13 AM   #47
M2siast
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: A Family Sedan

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [9.67]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToneM2 View Post
I can appreciate the engineering behind the Awron control, but it sounds like an overly complicated way to open the exhaust valves. An SST controller programed to the garage door button is a simple solution. SST has 4 options if you like, 100% open, 100% closed, a 50% open and OEM operation. In my opinion I only need it open or OEM. I would't set it to close as I think that's unnecessary as OEM operation is quiet enough, even with a mid pipe and don't to worry about it not being open if I go full throttle and it sets off a trouble code. So one button on the mirror is open, one is closed and the third you can still use for your garage door.
I agree with you and only use positions A and C too. Open or OEM.

However, I don’t have the mirror controls so I have to use the little fob, which I don’t like. Glad I don’t use it much.
Used it one time to run the car next to other parked cars in the ferry line up, didn’t want it to be too loud then. All other times it’s 100% open (which for all other cases is too quiet lol).

It’d be cool to have the mirror controls, but alas…
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2024, 09:28 AM   #48
AZG87
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G87, 2018 Mustang GT traded in

Quote:
I'd argue losing the mirror buttons for things like garage door, neighborhood gate etc could be a deal breaker for some but then not for others. I think that is where the AWRON has a niche maintaining oem control (I don't have either version).

I can say though if I end up pairing an axleback to my EL mid it'll likely be the AA one since it maintains oem control so obviously I value that aspect vs others that could care less. But that's why it's nice to have options in general to find a solution/ product that checks your boxes.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2024, 11:01 AM   #49
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2siast View Post
I agree with you and only use positions A and C too. Open or OEM.

However, I don’t have the mirror controls so I have to use the little fob, which I don’t like. Glad I don’t use it much.
Used it one time to run the car next to other parked cars in the ferry line up, didn’t want it to be too loud then. All other times it’s 100% open (which for all other cases is too quiet lol).

I thought Mirror buttons were standard. why don't you have them?

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2024, 11:03 AM   #50
M2siast
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: A Family Sedan

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [9.67]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Because they’re not standard and my car doesn’t have that option.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2024, 01:47 PM   #51
M_Power Rob
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '23 M240 and '23 M2

Quote:

Dont know if it is just US where they are standard or not but dont believe Canadian models came with them.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2024, 01:49 PM   #52
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Power Rob View Post
Dont know if it is just US where they are standard or not but dont believe Canadian models came with them.
Interesting, I did not know that. you would think that's a standard feature to get in a premium car in 2024

Appreciate 0
      03-26-2024, 11:42 PM   #53
BroDoze
Captain
Rep
Drives: Stuff

Quote:
Interesting, I did not know that. you would think that's a standard feature to get in a premium car in 2024
Just like you’d think the US would get steering responsive headlights standard on a ~$65K car!
      03-27-2024, 10:38 AM   #54
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroDoze View Post
Just like you’d think the US would get steering responsive headlights standard on a ~$65K car!
true

Appreciate 0
      03-27-2024, 11:13 AM   #55
WhiteRqbbit
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 G87

Someone call the guy who made the adapter for the M1/2 button to turn on the Sport mode screen to also to control the Valves to 100% for me. That would be perfect. I have a 2-year-old, so when I leave at 6 a.m., I like having the comfort quiet mode automatically. Once I'm out of the neighborhood, I engage M1.
      03-27-2024, 11:52 PM   #56
ToneM2
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2siast View Post

Midpipe and valves open is loud enough for me. First time I heard it cold start in that configuration I was actually surprised how loud it was.
Appreciate 2
M2siast5876.00
      03-28-2024, 08:08 AM   #57
CadolinaRipr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Midpipe and valves open is loud enough for me. First time I heard it cold start in that configuration I was actually surprised how loud it was.
Same. AA single mid and SST valve controller set to open is absolutely perfect for me as well.
Appreciate 1
AZG87965.50
      03-30-2024, 03:51 PM   #58
dominoM
Private Low Class
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 ZB 6MT

Quote:
Cold start with any of the mid pipes can be downright obnoxious. Settles down for sure, but that first 10 seconds... I live in a dense neighborhood and keep the garage door closed when starting and it is pretty hilarious. The wife is not a fan.

I don't have a valve controller -- can you close the valves for the cold start?
Appreciate 1
AZG87965.50
      03-30-2024, 10:54 PM   #59
AZG87
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G87, 2018 Mustang GT traded in

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominoM View Post
Cold start with any of the mid pipes can be downright obnoxious. Settles down for sure, but that first 10 seconds... I live in a dense neighborhood and keep the garage door closed when starting and it is pretty hilarious. The wife is not a fan.

I don't have a valve controller — can you close the valves for the cold start?
I come from a v8 with long tube headers so used to parking backed in and cold starting with garage door shut to avoid waking the neighbors and their ancestors. In comparison cold starting the g87 with El mid and valves closed is borderline silent lol. But with valves open it's actually surprising for an inline 6.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2024, 12:29 AM   #60
Resoelg
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2 ZV-Blue

Garage List
24 G87  [10.00]
Spent this past Saturday I installing Awron P&P valve controller. Like many in this forum I was not happy with the G87 exhaust sound. I obsessed over and was on the fence about axle/cat back exhausts, mid pipes and all the various valve controllers. Decided on Awron purchased through EAS tuning.

In hindsight, I probably would have installed the original version vs the P&P. My original thought was not we to cut/splice wires under the hood but running the wires back to the valves was a real pain in the ass on the P&P version.

So my impression....Great support from EAS!
The instructions are not great from Awron especially the wiring for P&P version both in the passenger foot well and form front to back attachment to valves.
BUT, It sounds GREAT (IMO) with just the flaps being opened all the way. That extra 30% opening and has satisfied my need for a proper M exhaust sound (for now) without having to cut out resonators or replace entire system. It works as advertised and can be customized.

Recommend it. I would be happy to share my experience on the wiring install or how I ran it to the valves.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2024, 10:01 PM   #61
ToneM2
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominoM View Post

I don't have a valve controller -- can you close the valves for the cold start?
With the SST controller you can set the valves to either remember your last setting or default to OEM each time you start. If you set it to last setting and close the valves before you turn off the car. That way they will be closed next time you restart.
Appreciate 0