BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BMW M2 Forums 2023+ (G87) BMW M2 G87 General Topics

11-04-2023, 02:40 AM   #67
Fastfwd
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '24 G87 M2

I'm curious if any owners might care to report if they are getting rock chips on those wide fenders and/or due to the wide tires on the doors perhaps? Behind the rear wheels?

I keep vacillating on what I should do in terms of coverage. Save maybe 20-30% and partially PPF the car and ceramic coat the rest or just take the full plunge and PPF the entire car so I don't find out the hard way where I wish I would have done PPF that I didn't.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2023, 09:47 AM   #68
JamnF87
HEA Spec Owner
Rep
Drives: BMW G87, Rubicon 392, BMW G07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastfwd View Post
I'm curious if any owners might care to report if they are getting rock chips on those wide fenders and/or due to the wide tires on the doors perhaps? Behind the rear wheels?

I keep vacillating on what I should do in terms of coverage. Save maybe 20-30% and partially PPF the car and ceramic coat the rest or just take the full plunge and PPF the entire car so I don't find out the hard way where I wish I would have done PPF that I didn't.
I did the rocker panels but not the 3/4 quarter panel, rear or trunk. I have ceramic coated those areas and so far have avoided rock chips on the rear quarter panels. I have 6,000 miles on the G87 and do extensive highway driving with mine. I don’t tailgate 18 wheelers or anybody else swerving / kicking up rocks.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2023, 10:49 AM   #69
rons e92
60-130 Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: G87 M2

Quote:

Just as a disclaimer, I had the entire car covered in XPEL ultimate PPF.

That being said, I haven't noticed any rocks hitting the front sides and tops of the rear fenders (yet). It doesn't mean it hasn't happened, and the 15mm front spacers is running definitely make it more likely, but I just don't see anything in the PPF just yet.

I have a mark here or there on the front bumper, one on the hood, but nothing really anywhere else.

The rocks are crazy here on Long Island though. The sound of the rocks bouncing around in the wheel wells and under the car was enough to make me thing I made the right choice driving the car. It only saw about 1,000 miles on the roads with out PPF and never saw rain.

One thing I will say, there is absolutely no swirling. I'm crazy with the paint and on a black car I know if I didn't have PPF I would have at least some swirling at this point.

No regrets.
Appreciate 3
apez649.50
AZG87977.50
      11-04-2023, 03:05 PM   #70
AZG87
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G87, 2018 Mustang GT traded in

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamnF87 View Post
I did the rocker panels but not the 3/4 quarter panel, rear or trunk. I have ceramic coated those areas and so far have avoided rock chips on the rear quarter panels. I have 6,000 miles on the G87 and do extensive highway driving with mine. I don’t tailgate 18 wheelers or anybody else swerving / kicking up rocks.
Similar. I did full ppf front, cf roof, mirrors, side rockers, then ceramic full car and wheels. I do run conservative 12f/12r spacers as well temporarily until new wheels for reference. The delta between the price of the full and what I opted for was massive otherwise I would have considered full. But no complaints thus far with a mix of highway and street. Though I do intentionally avoid areas of road construction or gravelly roads proactively.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2023, 02:18 PM   #71
OldButSmooth
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW G87 M2

Quote:

Hi Mate

Just picked up my car from Aussie Cozzie (Sydney, Aust) and had the following areas PPF:

Front grill/spoiler areas
Headlamps
Both front guards and full bonnet/hood
A pillars and full carbon roof
Lower sills and rear guards (fenders), as well the rear portion of those fenders.

I am a huge supporter of PPF, on my last car (Porsche) I recieved stone chips to a headlamp and front guard...no damage, just a nasty chips in the PPF film (which is easily replaced). For peace of mind I would definitely recommend PPF to the rear guards and lower sills.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2023, 01:59 AM   #72
Fastfwd
Private First Class
Rep

Forgive me. I hate to interject this, but..... I certainly do not wish to offend anyone who has gone this route, but I'm only now seeing that most of these ceramic companies more recently have offered a special formula for PPF specifically.

It just makes me question putting ceramic over the PPF. I mean the supposed benefits of ceramic include how it is harder than the clear coat. Well, the PPF seems to be engineered to be somewhat soft and pliable to absorb impacts for one thing. I'm sure it still works fine with ceramic over it, but it seems to be counter to the principle of the PPF. Unless I'm totally missing something.

Also, if these PPF applications have 'self healing properties' and ceramic would normally resist scratches by being harder than the clear coat I have to question how it impacts that 'self healing property?' I've caught on from a few sources that ceramic might be easier to scratch than you may believe. The PPF can't 'self heal' and recover from swirls, etc. on a coating that you put over the top of it, huh?

I'm frankly sick of debating what to do on this. It's so expensive I hate to make an uninformed decision about it, but it's been a big headache. At this point I may just wrap the entire car and skip the ceramic until I am more certain I'm doing the right thing. I would like the UV protection, but I'm having second thoughts on putting ceramic over the PPF. That whole thing about Xpel voiding their warranty coverage if you put ceramic on their PPF that isn't their brand might have more to it than the profit margin, but IDK.

My car is being delivered this week and I need to make an appointment to get this done now that I'm sure of my delivery. I'm sick thinking about the PPF/Ceramic thing.
Appreciate 1
      11-06-2023, 07:50 AM   #73
AZG87
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Forgive me. I hate to interject this, but..... I certainly do not wish to offend anyone who has gone this route, but I'm only now seeing that most of these ceramic companies more recently have offered a special formula for PPF specifically.

It just makes me question putting ceramic over the PPF. I mean the supposed benefits of ceramic include how it is harder than the clear coat. Well, the PPF seems to be engineered to be somewhat soft and pliable to absorb impacts for one thing. I'm sure it still works fine with ceramic over it, but it seems to be counter to the principle of the PPF. Unless I'm totally missing something.

Also, if these PPF applications have 'self healing properties' and ceramic would normally resist scratches by being harder than the clear coat I have to question how it impacts that 'self healing property?' I've caught on from a few sources that ceramic might be easier to scratch than you may believe. The PPF can't 'self heal' and recover from swirls, etc. on a coating that you put over the top of it, huh?

I'm frankly sick of debating what to do on this. It's so expensive I hate to make an uninformed decision about it, but it's been a big headache. At this point I may just wrap the entire car and skip the ceramic until I am more certain I'm doing the right thing. I would like the UV protection, but I'm having second thoughts on putting ceramic over the PPF. That whole thing about Xpel voiding their warranty coverage if you put ceramic on their PPF that isn't their brand might have more to it than the profit margin, but IDK.

My car is [...]
Personally only do ceramic for the hydrophobic properties. Ease of washing and protective layer from things like bird dropping eating clear coat. I don't rely on the ceramic for any protection from things like scratches, rocks etc. That is what I count on the ppf to help with.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2023, 09:39 AM   #74
Lagunatic
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 BGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZG87 View Post
Personally only do ceramic for the hydrophobic properties. Ease of washing and protective layer from things like bird dropping eating clear coat. I don't rely on the ceramic for any protection from things like scratches, rocks etc. That is what I count on the ppf to help with.
Yeah that’s how I interpret ceramic coats as well. I opted for only PPF on the headlights and ceramic everywhere else. Call me crazy, but I’m okay repainting the bumper, touching up panels, in a few years versus getting PPF. The lines drive me crazy and a few shops I called have had quality issues with the front bumper and peeling.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2023, 12:17 PM   #75
JG13
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, E39 M5, G87 M2 6MT

Picking up my car from the dealer today, and an appointment on Monday for full body PPF.

The shop offered me to take it directly from the dealer. Maybe I'm stupid, but I just want to take it home and be in it's presence for a week lol.

I have a roll of Track Armour that I'll put on the front end just to keep it safe until Monday. Should be okay if I avoid the highways and driving closely behind other cars.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2023, 01:22 PM   #76
AZG87
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG13 View Post
Picking up my car from the dealer today, and an appointment on Monday for full body PPF.

The shop offered me to take it directly from the dealer. Maybe I'm stupid, but I just want to take it home and be in it's presence for a week lol.

I have a roll of Track Armour that I'll put on the front end just to keep it safe until Monday. Should be okay if I avoid the highways and driving closely behind other cars.
I delayed pick-up of mine until the morning the shop could get it in. Then drove straight from dealership. Minimize potential damage, maximize piece of mind.
Appreciate 1
      11-06-2023, 02:09 PM   #77
JG13
Private First Class
Rep

Yeah I'm taking a risk for sure. Hoping for the best. Taking the backroads home from the dealer, and once I get it home it probably won't leave the garage until I take it for PPF on Monday.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2023, 02:31 PM   #78
NewToM
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 G87 Brooklyn Grey

Garage List
2024 BMW M2 G87  [9.12]
I was initially waffling on ppf and when I went to drop it off yesterday for ppf I noticed a rock chip on the front bumper.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2023, 02:37 PM   #79
JG13
Private First Class
Rep

Alright now I'm getting paranoid. I think I'm gonna take the roll of track wrap to the dealer and apply it before I leave
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2023, 02:38 PM   #80
JG13
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToM View Post
I was initially waffling on ppf and when I went to drop it off yesterday for ppf I noticed a rock chip on the front bumper.
How many miles before PPF? Did you drive it on the highway?

Also is the PPF shop going to try and fill in that chip for you before applying PPF?
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2023, 02:42 PM   #81
NewToM
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW M2 G87  [9.12]
Quote:
How many miles before PPF? Did you drive it on the highway?

Also is the PPF shop going to try and fill in that chip for you before applying PPF?
I had about 500 miles on it with some highway.

That is my understanding, luckily it isn’t too bad but still a bummer.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2023, 03:42 PM   #82
Mr.McNutty
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E82 135i, G87 M2

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [10.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Quote:

What shop did you end up using?

Old username: OnesAndEyes
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2023, 03:50 PM   #83
JG13
Private First Class
Rep

Decided to to with Ceramic Garage in Modesto which is a bit closer to me than going into the Bay. I paid them a visit and was really happy with what I saw and how they communicated with me. A bit on the higher end of the price ($7100) with XPEL but I feel good about getting a quality job done with good customer service.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2023, 04:01 PM   #84
Geighty7
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M2

$5800 out the door STEK full body agreed upon by a reliable shop out in city of industry. Appt is on Thursday.
Appreciate 2
AZG87977.50
      11-06-2023, 06:11 PM   #85
Fastfwd
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geighty7 View Post
$5800 out the door STEK full body agreed upon by a reliable shop out in city of industry. Appt is on Thursday.
I wish I could find a deal like that from a trustworthy shop. I'm looking at $7k for a full wrap in STEK. Actually, they want another $650ish for prep and polish if I recall. Another shop is $7,500 for prep, ppf, and ceramic all included. I'm about to see if I can negotiate with them at all on their pricing.
Appreciate 1
Geighty71410.50
      11-06-2023, 06:40 PM   #86
AZG87
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geighty7 View Post
Absolutely a steal for full!
Appreciate 1
Geighty71410.50
      11-06-2023, 06:51 PM   #87
NewToM
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW M2 G87  [9.12]
My rock chip is significantly more expensive to fix then was expecting. Wish I went straight to PPF.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-06-2023, 07:29 PM   #88
MMMGuy60
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 23M2,Tesla M3,Triumph 765R

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToM View Post
My rock chip is significantly more expensive to fix then was expecting. Wish I went straight to PPF.
That is a deep impact. I doubt PPF can stop that. The damage might be less but it will still be there.
Appreciate 1
NewToM367.00