home
BMW 2 Series Forums (G42) G42 2-Series General Topics

05-08-2024, 10:32 AM   #1
TopG42
Private
Rep
Drives: G42 M240i

Should I trade my g42?

Thinking about trading my car in for something else. Maybe a c7 vette, something powerful with not too much tech to worry about but still modern enough.

For background, I have done warranty claims on the tcb 2x and it keeps malfunctioning. Took it to the dealer and even their own request to bmw remote services failed to connect to my car. Bmw genius was useless as the idrive reboot did not solve anything.
I love this car and the way it drives but I can't swallow the fact that this car that cost more than my 22 camaro SS can't handle remote functions but the camaro never failed me. I know it sounds extremely picky but I always like to have my car remote start via my phone as soon as I wake up so I can get to work quicker without manually warming it up every morning.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2024, 10:40 AM   #2
WilcoJunoHotel
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 M240i RWD

If your car is still under warranty, I would demand that they fix it. If the dealer's management can't/won't, then it needs to be escalated to BMW NA. Don't take the service tech or even the service manager's word for it - take it up the ladder until you get it resolved.
Appreciate 6
PP3121360.50
koopa130.00
Resoelg258.00
MPR1820.50
AlexC2er108.00
jpf3409.00
      05-08-2024, 10:47 AM   #3
PP3121
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240i

While we have communicated extensively about similar concerns, mine is intermittent and has not been duplicated by the dealer. Perhaps this new update (received yesterday - v.03/2024.40) will rectify the issues for me.

Curious where would you trade it in knowing there is something wrong with it? Back to the original dealership?

Agree with above, demand for equipment and features to work!
Appreciate 1
TopG4222.50
      05-08-2024, 11:32 AM   #4
TopG42
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PP3121 View Post
While we have communicated extensively about similar concerns, mine is intermittent and has not been duplicated by the dealer. Perhaps this new update (received yesterday - v.03/2024.40) will rectify the issues for me.

Curious where would you trade it in knowing there is something wrong with it? Back to the original dealership?

Agree with above, demand for equipment and features to work!
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilcoJunoHotel View Post
If your car is still under warranty, I would demand that they fix it. If the dealer's management can't/won't, then it needs to be escalated to BMW NA. Don't take the service tech or even the service manager's word for it - take it up the ladder until you get it resolved.
I have been able to replicate the issue at the dealership in the pretty accidental way. One of the new guys threw my key in the car as I was talkng to my service advisor. I sent the lock command. At the moment I assumed the greeter had my keys in hand. Then I was asked to unlock it so they could move it. Lo and behold the app failed to connect to my car for the unlock command. Not sure why the first 5 minutes of turning the car off allows remote controls to work but after that it fails. They contacted bmw on the server side to see if they could request an unlock and it failed. I needed to drive home and get my spare and unlock it for them. Now we wait until they update me. (EDIT: I drove home in a loaner they gave me lol)

To answer your question about the trade, I will be honest I was going to just see what appraisals I would get at a chevy dealer as they are still under hendrick so they could sell it as cpo, trasnfer to the bmw dealer I go to and carry the warranty. Also this would be a warranty fix thing over and over again that just gets passed to the next buyer. Not the best scenario but it seems like a returning issue. I really love the car though. If it did not come with the feature in the first place maybe I would be less bothered.
Appreciate 1
PP3121360.50
      05-08-2024, 11:41 AM   #5
koopa
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 M240i xDrive

Garage List
I've owned all three of those cars and I wouldn't swap out the M240i for either if it was for daily driving. For a weekend car, the C7 would be my choice (especially in GS or Z06 trim).
Appreciate 2
TopG4222.50
MPR1820.50
      05-08-2024, 11:45 AM   #6
TopG42
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by koopa View Post
I've owned all three of those cars and I wouldn't swap out the M240i for either if it was for daily driving. For a weekend car, the C7 would be my choice (especially in GS or Z06 trim).
I actually used to daily my SS and didn't mind the stiff ride. Would you say the c7 sucks as a daily because of that stiffness and maybe the visibility too? I kinda just missed the simplicity of it since idrive 8 features were so attractive to me yet have so many points of failure. One example was my remote functions failing. I have also had IDrive kill itself if I was getting alot of messages while carplay is up. I wouldnt call my car a lemon because the engine/trans run perfect (knock on wood) but the tech is wack.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2024, 11:53 AM   #7
koopa
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopG42 View Post
I actually used to daily my SS and didn't mind the stiff ride. Would you say the c7 sucks as a daily because of that stiffness and maybe the visibility too? I kinda just missed the simplicity of it since idrive 8 features were so attractive to me yet have so many points of failure. One example was my remote functions failing. I have also had IDrive kill itself if I was getting alot of messages while carplay is up. I wouldnt call my car a lemon because the engine/trans run perfect (knock on wood) but the tech is wack.
I didn't find the SS or the C7 to have a stiff ride, GM's mag-ride suspension is amazing. Both cars to me were very comfortable, but the Camaro is so damn compromised as a car (I'm sure I don't need to tell you that). I would sum up the C7 like this:

Pros:
  • It’s a beautiful car
  • Targa top
  • Better visibility than the Camaro
  • Large hatch, easily able to handle a road trip or Costco runs
  • 2016+ models offer enough tech for me (android auto/apple carplay & front parking cameras)
  • HUGE aftermarket
Cons:
  • Limits are very high and can make the normal driving experience a bit boring
  • Tramlining because of how huge the tires are (not fun in pouring rain)
  • Exhaust note lacking in the cabin
  • Even backing out of my basically flat driveway caused the car to scrape, so every parking lot was frightening
Appreciate 1
TopG4222.50
      05-08-2024, 12:02 PM   #8
TopG42
Private
Rep

Quote:
I didn't find the SS or the C7 to have a stiff ride, GM's mag-ride suspension is amazing. Both cars to me were very comfortable, but the Camaro is so damn compromised as a car (I'm sure I don't need to tell you that). I would sum up the C7 like this:

Pros:

It’s a beautiful car
Targa top
Better visibility than the Camaro
Large hatch, easily able to handle a road trip or Costco runs
2016+ models offer enough tech for me (android auto/apple carplay & front parking cameras)
HUGE aftermarket

Cons:

Limits are very high and can make the normal driving experience a bit boring
Tramlining because of how huge the tires are (not fun in pouring rain)
Exhaust note lacking in the cabin
Even backing out of my basically flat driveway caused the car to scrape, so every parking lot was frightening
Yeah the whole reason I even got rid of my camaro was because it felt like a compromise. I had the 1le package so I have 285s up front and 305s in the rear so I feel you on the tramlining point. I also never planned to track it which in hindsight made getting a 1Le a bit useless since the extra cooling and bigger brakes were intended for that. I was hoping a c7 corvette would be somewhat more refined than the camaro. But I also was thinking it would be more fun than the 240 ( i have a downpipe/milltek exhaust/ racechip black) and it still doesn't feel as awake as my SS did. Granted NA v8 vs turbo i6 are totally different platforms.

The lower ride height may be an issue as my driveway is a bit high so I will consider that. Idk I just hope they don't keep my car for an entire week but I feel like that might be what ends up happening.
Appreciate 1
koopa130.00
      05-08-2024, 12:13 PM   #9
koopa
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yeah the whole reason I even got rid of my camaro was because it felt like a compromise. I had the 1le package so I have 285s up front and 305s in the rear so I feel you on the tramlining point. I also never planned to track it which in hindsight made getting a 1Le a bit useless since the extra cooling and bigger brakes were intended for that. I was hoping a c7 corvette would be somewhat more refined than the camaro. But I also was thinking it would be more fun than the 240 ( i have a downpipe/milltek exhaust/ racechip black) and it still doesn't feel as awake as my SS did. Granted NA v8 vs turbo i6 are totally different platforms.

The lower ride height may be an issue as my driveway is a bit high so I will consider that. Idk I just hope they don't keep my car for an entire week but I feel like that might be what ends up happening.
I didn't have a 1LE, just a 2SS so the ride in my Camaro was probably a lot more comfortable than yours. The Camaro probably made me laugh more than any other car I've ever owned. It's a shame GM did such a bad job with the cabin and livability because if it wasn't such a compromised vehicle, I doubt I would have ever sold it.

I'd say the Camaro was more comfortable than the Corvette but the Corvette was still good. I'd also say in normal driving conditions, the Camaro is a lot more fun than the Corvette (and the M240i). Even though the two cars share the same powertrain, the exhaust sounds a lot better in the Camaro. Overall, the Corvette is the more refined and undoubtedly better car of the two.

Sometimes you just want to change cars. I overall loved my C7 and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2024, 01:42 AM   #10
TopG42
Private
Rep

Quote:
I didn't have a 1LE, just a 2SS so the ride in my Camaro was probably a lot more comfortable than yours. The Camaro probably made me laugh more than any other car I've ever owned. It's a shame GM did such a bad job with the cabin and livability because if it wasn't such a compromised vehicle, I doubt I would have ever sold it.

I'd say the Camaro was more comfortable than the Corvette but the Corvette was still good. I'd also say in normal driving conditions, the Camaro is a lot more fun than the Corvette (and the M240i). Even though the two cars share the same powertrain, the exhaust sounds a lot better in the Camaro. Overall, the Corvette is the more refined and undoubtedly better car of the two.

Sometimes you just want to change cars. I overall loved my C7 and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone.
Thanks for the input. I just gravitate more towards American v8s particularly the LT1 engine. I was also in the market for the s650 gt but the interior wasn't my favorite. It has the same tv screen as my m240i but the mustang has big ugly bezels on them so they look like two first gen ipads. Hoping the dealer resolves my issue by tommorrow, they gave me a 228i (non xdrive) as a loaner and it made me realize how good the m240i is.
Appreciate 1
koopa130.00
      05-09-2024, 11:10 AM   #11
Bandit009
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240i xdrive

Quote:
I have been able to replicate the issue at the dealership in the pretty accidental way. One of the new guys threw my key in the car as I was talkng to my service advisor. I sent the lock command. At the moment I assumed the greeter had my keys in hand. Then I was asked to unlock it so they could move it. Lo and behold the app failed to connect to my car for the unlock command. Not sure why the first 5 minutes of turning the car off allows remote controls to work but after that it fails. They contacted bmw on the server side to see if they could request an unlock and it failed. I needed to drive home and get my spare and unlock it for them. Now we wait until they update me. (EDIT: I drove home in a loaner they gave me lol)

To answer your question about the trade, I will be honest I was going to just see what appraisals I would get at a chevy dealer as they are still under hendrick so they could sell it as cpo, trasnfer to the bmw dealer I go to and carry the warranty. Also this would be a warranty fix thing over and over again that just gets passed to the next buyer. Not the best scenario but it seems like a returning issue. I really love the car though. If it did not come with the feature in the first place maybe I would be less bothered.
I read in another topic in this forum of an owner having trouble with his remote start. Turned out the problem was if he has the key fob or key card with him while using the remote start from the MyBMW app, the remote start would shut off right after starting. Turned out the key or key card cannot be nearby when using the app for remote start. It causes a conflict. Maybe the latest update has addressed this issue. Good luck.
Appreciate 1
TopG4222.50
      05-09-2024, 02:10 PM   #12
TopG42
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit009 View Post
I read in another topic in this forum of an owner having trouble with his remote start. Turned out the problem was if he has the key fob or key card with him while using the remote start from the MyBMW app, the remote start would shut off right after starting. Turned out the key or key card cannot be nearby when using the app for remote start. It causes a conflict. Maybe the latest update has addressed this issue. Good luck.
I was also hoping the update fixed that. The dealership had my car for a little over a day now and have not updated me so I will wait until EOD tommorow to ask for an update. I have also been checking the app and saw that one of the techs added themselves as a secondary user to work on this but no updates from the car itself
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2024, 03:07 PM   #13
Bandit009
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I was also hoping the update fixed that. The dealership had my car for a little over a day now and have not updated me so I will wait until EOD tommorow to ask for an update. I have also been checking the app and saw that one of the techs added themselves as a secondary user to work on this but no updates from the car itself
I only use my phone to access my car so I can’t confirm if having my fob on me while try to use my phone for remote start causes a glitch.
Appreciate 1
TopG4222.50
      Yesterday, 12:14 PM   #14
TopG42
Private
Rep

Update: dealer finished playing around with every setting in my car and ended up just doing a hard reset on my head unit. Now I will say I did that already but appearantly the delership said they needed to connect directly to my car to wipe everything out like the car was brand new leaving no trace of any bmw ids or anything. I was told that whenever I did resets, or even wiped my bmw id it was not completely being removed which failed to reset the whole system. I really don't understand how that happens and why only the dealership could do a true head unit reset but alas I have remote functions working again on the app.

TLDR: remote functions work again after dealership did a reset. Mind you the whole holding down the power/volume knob for 3 cycles does not count as a true hard reset in my case it was not doing anything except a soft reboot.
Appreciate 1
koopa130.00
      Yesterday, 02:47 PM   #15
Littlecoupe
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240i

Good to see you're back up and running. Also not surprised to see that a true factory reset is either well hidden deep in the menus, or locked out to dealer / OBD type access. Probably better to not have consumers able to easily completely wipe the head unit. I do think we should have access though, deep in the menus, with a confirmation to acknowledge to avoid liability on BMW's behalf.
Appreciate 1
TopG4222.50
      Yesterday, 03:01 PM   #16
TopG42
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlecoupe View Post
Good to see you're back up and running. Also not surprised to see that a true factory reset is either well hidden deep in the menus, or locked out to dealer / OBD type access. Probably better to not have consumers able to easily completely wipe the head unit. I do think we should have access though, deep in the menus, with a confirmation to acknowledge to avoid liability on BMW's behalf.
Hell yea hopefully the electronics can behave now. Theres a manual SS 1le for sale near me and I was itching to jump on it just because of this. But I held back because I know i hated the interior of my last 1le (same exact year too) and the risks of having camaros now since they get stolen like challengers/chargers. First turbo inline-6 and the engine has been very strong coming from a v8 guy
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 06:42 PM   #17
Bandit009
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Hell yea hopefully the electronics can behave now. Theres a manual SS 1le for sale near me and I was itching to jump on it just because of this. But I held back because I know i hated the interior of my last 1le (same exact year too) and the risks of having camaros now since they get stolen like challengers/chargers. First turbo inline-6 and the engine has been very strong coming from a v8 guy
My analyst’s camaro was stolen a month ago. It was recovered, but was a huge pain in the a$$.
Appreciate 0