BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BMW 2 Series Forums (G42) G42 2-Series General Topics

05-04-2023, 03:00 PM   #287
JoseSportM
JoseSportM
Rep
Drives: BMW G42

Hey guys. I’m a bit disappointed, still before I write something negative I want to understand if the problem is mine.

I bought this from AutoID the CS spoiler in black gloss.
It seems it’s a carbon one painted in gloss. Or at least is what I think.
Spoiler is very light and I see carbon on the center, was not painted. Quality is far from oem and I’m not referring the paint as you will see next.

Am I positioning the spoiler wrongly or it’s not for G42 or it’s just a manufacture failure?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-04-2023, 03:16 PM   #288
JoeyJoeJo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G42 M240ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseSportM View Post
Hey guys. I’m a bit disappointed, still before I write something negative I want to understand if the problem is mine.

I bought this from AutoID the CS spoiler in black gloss.
It seems it’s a carbon one painted in gloss. Or at least is what I think.
Spoiler is very light and I see carbon on the center, was not painted. Quality is far from oem and I’m not referring the paint as you will see next.

Am I positioning the spoiler wrongly or it’s not for G42 or it’s just a manufacture failure?
I've been checking AutoID the last few days thinking about mine, doesn't that one sit a little closer to the front of the car, away from the edge?

I saw a couple of reviews mention the quality of the gloss pieces too.
      05-04-2023, 03:22 PM   #289
JoseSportM
JoseSportM
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyJoeJo View Post
I've been checking AutoID the last few days thinking about mine, doesn't that one sit a little closer to the front of the car, away from the edge?

I saw a couple of reviews mention the quality of the gloss pieces too.

I do like this. But even the back do not fit junt in the center
And the curve is way different from stock

https://youtube.com/shorts/djDLbnXZ9rI?feature=share
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2023, 04:31 PM   #290
XC3LLR8
Banned
Rep
Drives: Super73

Quote:
I do like this. But even the back do not fit junt in the center
And the curve is way different from stock

https://youtube.com/shorts/djDLbnXZ9rI?feature=share
Curious why you would install it if you knew the fit/finish wasn't OEM-like?
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2023, 04:33 PM   #291
JoseSportM
JoseSportM
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC3LLR8 View Post
Curious why you would install it if you knew the fit/finish wasn't OEM-like?
Didn’t expect the finish to be like oem but I expected the fit correctly
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2023, 04:34 PM   #292
XC3LLR8
Banned
Rep

Continental Extreme Contact DWS 06 Plus in 265/35 wrapped around Apex 19x9.5

Appreciate 6
PNTDG42469.00
KJ10498.50
meyer1son295.00
      05-04-2023, 06:06 PM   #293
blueshead
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 G42 M240i XDrive

Quote:
Didn’t expect the finish to be like oem but I expected the fit correctly
I have the carbon version and have to say fit and finish is very good. Bit hard to see from your pics but it looks like you may have fitted it to far up the boot lid (trunk).

My carbon version.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2023, 10:05 PM   #294
JoseSportM
JoseSportM
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueshead View Post
I have the carbon version and have to say fit and finish is very good. Bit hard to see from your pics but it looks like you may have fitted it to far up the boot lid (trunk).

My carbon version.
I’m using this line

No matter which position I chose the spoiler is always in the air front and sides
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-05-2023, 10:56 AM   #295
blueshead
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I’m using this line

No matter which position I chose the spoiler is always in the air front and sides
Firstly I should point out that mine is the TRE Carbon CS Style version but the only Gloss Black G42 CS Style spoiler on their site is the "Essentials" range, so they may differ in design.

With that said, IIRC you don't align the edge of the spoiler with the line shown here - rather, the rear edge of the spoiler overhangs that line a little and it settles into the curve - it kind of finds its own level. Try aligning the rear edge of the spoiler with that line then slowly moving it towards the rear of the car - it should "fall" into the curve and it should rest there even with no adhesive. I have pics of mine with measurements but have no way of posting on here - If you can PM me your email address I'd be happy to mail them to you?
Appreciate 1
P_Chris156.50
      05-05-2023, 01:01 PM   #296
M240SLC
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240i

Welp, I took my car to the dealer...again. This time I had an "Emergency call system malfunction" error. Brought it to them yesterday. First they tried a complete iDrive reflash, but that didn't cure it. After hanging out at the dealer (which one of you works at with a TNM M240), they decided to give me a loaner and have me be on my way. 24 hours, and haven't heard back yet. Other posts mentioned shark fin issues, causing TCU damage. I don't even have 2,500 miles yet, and this is disappointing. I hope I didn't get a lemon, because I really love the car otherwise.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2023, 01:28 PM   #297
XC3LLR8
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M240SLC View Post
Welp, I took my car to the dealer...again. This time I had an "Emergency call system malfunction" error. Brought it to them yesterday. First they tried a complete iDrive reflash, but that didn't cure it. After hanging out at the dealer (which one of you works at with a TNM M240), they decided to give me a loaner and have me be on my way. 24 hours, and haven't heard back yet. Other posts mentioned shark fin issues, causing TCU damage. I don't even have 2,500 miles yet, and this is disappointing. I hope I didn't get a lemon, because I really love the car otherwise.
What's a "TCU"? There's a TCU about 30 mins from me, but I think your TCU is something different. lol
Appreciate 1
M240SLC392.50
      05-05-2023, 01:36 PM   #298
M240SLC
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC3LLR8 View Post
What's a "TCU"? There's a TCU about 30 mins from me, but I think your TCU is something different. lol
lol just a bit different than those Horned Frogs.

It's the Telematics Control Unit. This write-up does pretty good at explaining it.

https://www.import-car.com/bmw-telematics/
Appreciate 1
XC3LLR82062.50
      05-05-2023, 02:36 PM   #299
viperx100
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M240i

Garage List
Washed my Redz cuz one does NOT show up at a cars and coffee with a dirty whip (Katie's in Great Falls, VA in case anyone cares to show up tomorrow)! There's something therapeutic about washing your car on a nice day anyway.
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
      05-05-2023, 02:43 PM   #300
Bandit009
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by viperx100 View Post
Washed my Redz cuz one does NOT show up at a cars and coffee with a dirty whip (Katie's in Great Falls, VA in case anyone cares to show up tomorrow)! There's something therapeutic about washing your car on a nice day anyway.
Red is really nice with blue brake calipers. Also, the 240i is a looker. She grew on me a lot. I like how from the side profile the bottom of the nose pushes forward just a bit.
Appreciate 1
viperx100636.50
      05-05-2023, 02:52 PM   #301
viperx100
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit009 View Post
Red is really nice with blue brake calipers. Also, the 240i is a looker. She grew on me a lot. I like how from the side profile the bottom of the nose pushes forward just a bit.
"I like how from the side profile the bottom of the nose pushes forward just a bit." THIS! I love that angle as well. I also chose the blue calipers because I've had red ones on a number of my cars in the past and wanted something different and a pop on a red car. Plus BMW has been using blue calipers for a minute now so to me, when I think BMW, I think blue calipers as the first thing that comes to mind.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2023, 02:53 PM   #302
JoseSportM
JoseSportM
Rep

Quote:
Firstly I should point out that mine is the TRE Carbon CS Style version but the only Gloss Black G42 CS Style spoiler on their site is the "Essentials" range, so they may differ in design.

With that said, IIRC you don't align the edge of the spoiler with the line shown here - rather, the rear edge of the spoiler overhangs that line a little and it settles into the curve - it kind of finds its own level. Try aligning the rear edge of the spoiler with that line then slowly moving it towards the rear of the car - it should "fall" into the curve and it should rest there even with no adhesive. I have pics of mine with measurements but have no way of posting on here - If you can PM me your email address I'd be happy to mail them to you?
Thank you for the reply

Yes I know what you mean and is what I tried to do I just mentioned that line to let people know is that line and not the other under like the original performance that is set on the lower line.

As you see in the center is ok and then it does not fit anywhere else not even making pressure.

I sent this pictures to auto if and they are trying to understand what happened.

Will keep you guys informed when I know more
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-05-2023, 03:54 PM   #303
JoseSportM
JoseSportM
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by viperx100 View Post
I would never buy a red car but I have to say it looks sick. I think this car looks amazing in any color.

Congrats
Appreciate 1
viperx100636.50
      05-05-2023, 04:04 PM   #304
blueshead
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Thank you for the reply

Yes I know what you mean and is what I tried to do I just mentioned that line to let people know is that line and not the other under like the original performance that is set on the lower line.

As you see in the center is ok and then it does not fit anywhere else not even making pressure.

I sent this pictures to auto if and they are trying to understand what happened.

Will keep you guys informed when I know more
AS I say, there may be differences between the two styles? Maybe the spoiler got distorted in transit? I have sent the pics anyway in case they are of some use and in anycase I'm sure Jack and the lads at AutoID will sort something acceptable to you should it be a faulty unit.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2023, 05:19 PM   #305
JoseSportM
JoseSportM
Rep

Quote:
AS I say, there may be differences between the two styles? Maybe the spoiler got distorted in transit? I have sent the pics anyway in case they are of some use and in anycase I'm sure Jack and the lads at AutoID will sort something acceptable to you should it be a faulty unit.
Sales department is already taking care of it. I will let them find out. This things happen and it’s fine. Probably is a faulty unit and I hope not a lot of them otherwise would be not a good thing for the producer. Anyway, I will check your pictures.

And yes maybe they are different styles and probably different way of manufacturing so I will check.

Thank you again
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2023, 05:36 PM   #306
viperx100
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I would never buy a red car but I have to say it looks sick. I think this car looks amazing in any color.

Congrats
Thanks, I've never owned a red car in the past (and I've owned quite a few cars) and even passed on this particular one for that reason at the time, but then saw a Z4 in Melbourne Red at the dealer and decided to give it a shot and I am glad that I did. I am with you, I am yet to see a G42 M240i in a color that makes it look less appealing. I think BMW designed it really well. Love the headlights that aren't like the rest of the lineup, the hood bulge, the wide hips, and the aggressive front with the triangle accents in the lower corners. It just works. I am even a fan of the tail lights contrary to the popular vote when it first dropped. To me, the G42 looks like a tuner car right from the factory. If I had to nitpick, I'd make the ground effects matte black or body colored to limit the high-gloss being prone to scratches that are easily visible and I would have given the exhaust real tips (quads or dual) instead of the covers.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2023, 07:45 PM   #307
M240SLC
First Lieutenant
Rep

Got my ride back from the dealer. Not a TCU hardware issue. Apparently my car just hates software, and it needed to be force-fed from Deutschland.
Appreciate 2
XC3LLR82062.50
      05-05-2023, 07:52 PM   #308
XC3LLR8
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M240SLC View Post
Got my ride back from the dealer. Not a TCU hardware issue. Apparently my car just hates software, and it needed to be force-fed from Deutschland.
That was an interesting article you provided. Sucks that one day I may not have some of the features I have today.
Appreciate 1
M240SLC392.50