BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BMW 2 Series Forums (G42) G42 2-Series General Topics

04-18-2024, 01:36 PM   #1
clevendore
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i

Rear Window glare after Ceramic Tint

Had Ceramic Pro Kavaca ceramic tint installed on my 24 M240i by a very high end, respected shop.

8 days after installation, the glare from the rear window is still insane. Headlights from behind are causing massive reflections off of the defroster lines. I've read a lot about this and understand that this sometimes occurs on certain cars and cannot be corrected regardless of tint manufacturer or installer. I also read that this will not improve over time.

I'd like to hear from other M240i owners that have had tint installed and if you've experienced the same problem. Could you kindly indicate which tint your using in your reply ?

I uploaded picture showing the exact problem that I'm seeing.

Thanks
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-18-2024, 02:14 PM   #2
liondog
Chapin
Rep
Drives: 2023 G42 M240x

Garage List
I have the same tint and the same glare. It has been on for about 6 months and I have gotten used to the glare. I didn't think I would but I hardly notice it now. Hope that helps.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2024, 04:11 PM   #3
Maxp
Rep
Drives: M240i

Same here, the glare decreased somewhat after the first week.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2024, 06:36 PM   #4
grooveK
Private
Rep
Drives: E39 530i, G42 m240i

All my tinted cars have had some glare, but none as bad as yours.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2024, 06:49 PM   #5
NoDramaG42
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M240x G42

I have SunTek Ceramic at 15% on the rear. My glare isnt terrible.
But ive had glare with window tint on all of my cars in the past.
I'll try to get a pic.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2024, 08:02 PM   #6
TJZ67201
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 M240i

I have 20% XPEL ceramic and absolutely no glare on any windows. Including windshield which has 70%
Appreciate 2
      04-18-2024, 08:13 PM   #7
aiursblade
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: G42

Garage List
2023 BMW M240i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJZ67201 View Post
I have 20% XPEL ceramic and absolutely no glare on any windows. Including windshield which has 70%
Same here
Appreciate 1
viperx100627.50
      04-19-2024, 09:38 AM   #8
Ruebarb
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW G42 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoDramaG42 View Post
I have SunTek Ceramic at 15% on the rear. My glare isnt terrible.
But ive had glare with window tint on all of my cars in the past.
I'll try to get a pic.
Same, but I never noticed any glare.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2024, 10:15 AM   #9
viperx100
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M240i

Garage List
Thanks for confirming that XPEL has no glare in the rear window. I also have Kavaca ceramic 20% tint and see the glare there. Mental note (and a bookmark) made for the future tinting.
Appreciate 1
      04-19-2024, 05:59 PM   #10
clevendore
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJZ67201 View Post
Thanks for all the replies. That's really helpful.

TJZ67201 and aiursblade would you mind telling me precisely which Xpel product that you used as there are at least a few Xpel Ceramics, and I've seen posts on other sites where Xpel owners are complaining about this exact same issue? Until I heard from you two I was convinced that this problem was not fixable. To clarify my original post, the glare off of the rear window defroster lines is only at night. Are you indicating that you don't see any reflections like shown in my pic at night ?

I'm someone who does my homework and thought that I was somewhat educated about tint before having it installed. I was shocked when I saw the glare, and even more surprised that even though there are multiple threads in this forum regarding tint, the glare off of the defroster lines never once came up in this forum.

I find the glare completely distracting, but I'm beginning to believe it's subjective as I've seen many posts where folks say they have the glare as well and learned to live with it. I'm trying to get to that attitude, but I keep asking myself why would I would pay to make the window worse, much worse than it was without tint.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2024, 09:12 PM   #11
TJZ67201
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevendore View Post

TJZ67201 and aiursblade would you mind telling me precisely which Xpel product that you used as there are at least a few Xpel Ceramics, and I've seen posts on other sites where Xpel owners are complaining about this exact same issue? Until I heard from you two I was convinced that this problem was not fixable. To clarify my original post, the glare off of the rear window defroster lines is only at night. Are you indicating that you don't see any reflections like shown in my pic at night ?
Absolutely no glare at all. Day or night. I’ll attach my receipt that has the exact product name.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      04-20-2024, 10:57 AM   #12
aiursblade
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: G42

Garage List
2023 BMW M240i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevendore View Post

I'm someone who does my homework and thought that I was somewhat educated about tint before having it installed. I was shocked when I saw the glare, and even more surprised that even though there are multiple threads in this forum regarding tint, the glare off of the defroster lines never once came up in this forum.

I find the glare completely distracting, but I'm beginning to believe it's subjective as I've seen many posts where folks say they have the glare as well and learned to live with it. I'm trying to get to that attitude, but I keep asking myself why would I would pay to make the window worse, much worse than it was without tint.
Unf I don’t have the receipt anymore so I’m not sure the exact product, but I know it’s their middle range. I didn’t go with the cheapest XPEL option, nor the most expensive… not sure what names my installer used at the time for the different lines since that was a year ago now. Sorry not too helpful
Appreciate 0