E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > N52 small disa issue

Today, 08:09 AM   #1
bogdan18493134
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 325i

N52 small disa issue

Hi everyone!

Since I bought my E92 (5 months ago) I've been dealing with a slight vibration at idle, needle jumping around (+/- 20 rpm is my guess) and a rarely and hard noticeable hesitation when accelerating.

Fault I have:
  • 29F4: Catalytic converter conversion
  • 29F5: Catalytic converter conversion 2 (both catalytic converter faults are caused by bad o2 after cat sensors)
  • 2AAC: Variable intake system 2, self-diagnosis (occurred only once, cleaned it and never came back)

Parts I changed on my car:
  • valve cover (PCV went bad) + the breather pipe
  • plugs
  • coils
  • o2 sensors pre cat
  • battery
  • oil change + filters etc.

Did a smoke test for any vacuum leak, but everything seems fine.
Also checked the ESS and there is no oil inside and cleaned the MAF.
So last week I took off the intake to check the DISA valves and this is what I found:

The gasket on the big one is loose in the bottom left corner.
The gasket on the small one is loose in the bottom left corner and broken in the top left corner.

Also here is a video on how they operate:

They both have no play when trying to move the flap. But what I noticed is that the small one is moving slower, but at the end of the video is started to move a bit faster (oil inside?). Now my question is can the small DISA cause the slight vibration, the rpm jump and the hesitation?

From what I've seen online the hesitation might be caused by this but I don't know about the other problems.

Might think that the problem could be the valvetronic for the vibration and rpm jump?

Can the broken gasket cause any problems beside ripping off into the engine?
Attached Images

Last edited by bogdan18493134; Today at 09:05 AM.. Reason: -
Appreciate 1