home
BMW M2 Forums 2023+ (G87) BMW M2 G87 General Topics

10-01-2023, 04:20 AM   #1
Shadak
Private
Rep
Drives: M2 G87

Creacks and rattles

So I know I could take it to the dealer but some times I dont want to wait. I had an annoying rattle in the cup holder area which sounded a bit like a cable hitting aomething when going over inperfect roads, i disassembled the cup holder ans rearranged the lighter and usb cable and it seems to have gone away completely, that one was super annoying. Wanted to mention it in case anyone had a similar issue.

But I still have a sqeaky cup holder cover plate, the slidey thing. When I put something in the back of it, its reduced, when I hold it in place open with a finger strongly, it never sqeaks. I am booked for some other stuff in 2 weeks so will mention it. But does anyone know please if thebsliding cover is easily removed? Tbh i never close it, i could do without it completely.

Thanks!
Appreciate 6
dmr64.00
Bumpinjeep5570.00
jpf3409.00
      10-01-2023, 07:59 AM   #2
Mflies23
Rep
Drives: BMW

Just took delivery of mine yesterday. Car has 25 miles on it and I have the same cup holder creak/rattle
Appreciate 2
Trogster468.00
      10-01-2023, 09:06 AM   #3
tylerdurdem
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 BGM M2

I have a squeak in the steering column that sounds like two cables rubbing together. Anyone else?
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2023, 06:20 AM   #4
Shadak
Private
Rep

I have a little bit of resonating thing when going over bad bumps but its only occasionally and not so bad.

But in my quest to search for various rattles I found a nasty one, maybe, its quiet but i know its there, its not very frequent, its like two plastic bits rubbing but its not the typical creak, it was coming from cup holder but it sounded more distant, like it would be somewhere deep in the console. I couldnt find it for the whole week. Today I though ok there is this street where its happening more often so i go and try to lean forward to put my ears closer ro cup holders, suddenly its not there anymore, this happens couple of times. By the time i got back home I thought hmm, what if mt hearing directional awareness is crap and its coming from a seat? the plastic supporting the leather behind me. Since it stops everytime i lean forward, could it be it?? its crazy but next time i might try to feel around my shoulders. Problem is its not very loud. Fuck me these things are annoying..
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2023, 07:10 AM   #5
M_Power Rob
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '23 M240 and '23 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadak View Post
I have a little bit of resonating thing when going over bad bumps but its only occasionally and not so bad.

But in my quest to search for various rattles I found a nasty one, maybe, its quiet but i know its there, its not very frequent, its like two plastic bits rubbing but its not the typical creak, it was coming from cup holder but it sounded more distant, like it would be somewhere deep in the console. I couldnt find it for the whole week. Today I though ok there is this street where its happening more often so i go and try to lean forward to put my ears closer ro cup holders, suddenly its not there anymore, this happens couple of times. By the time i got back home I thought hmm, what if mt hearing directional awareness is crap and its coming from a seat? the plastic supporting the leather behind me. Since it stops everytime i lean forward, could it be it?? its crazy but next time i might try to feel around my shoulders. Problem is its not very loud. Fuck me these things are annoying..

Just curious, are you dring around trying to find any and every possible noise?

Good thing you dont have an electric car, without their engine noise you would probably be able to hear even more.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2023, 07:28 AM   #6
Shadak
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Power Rob View Post
Just curious, are you dring around trying to find any and every possible noise?

Good thing you dont have an electric car, without their engine noise you would probably be able to hear even more.
I am actually yeah 😆
I know its being a bit ocd about it. But i want to get things sorted in a new car, although i unserstand it may not always be possible especially with ghost creaks etc.

I drove to the office now and when the creaks come and I hold down the seatbelt lock, it seemed to go away 🤔
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2023, 01:22 PM   #7
GT3M2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G87 M2, 996 Turbo, 1290 SDR

Mine is silent.

I did 12 hours from the dealer to my house.

Was amazing.

-GT3M2
Appreciate 2
c1pher4676.00
clydefrog288.50
      10-05-2023, 03:34 PM   #8
Ravenseal
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 6MT

My car is on MHAS and I live in Colorado. Rattles are just a part of life.

Retired: 2022 M240i xDrive | 2021 Audi RS5 | 2019 Camaro 2SS 1LE 6MT | 2016 428i GC | 2011 BMW 335is
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2023, 12:35 AM   #9
Searay55555
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 335is Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadak View Post
So I know I could take it to the dealer but some times I dont want to wait. I had an annoying rattle in the cup holder area which sounded a bit like a cable hitting aomething when going over inperfect roads, i disassembled the cup holder ans rearranged the lighter and usb cable and it seems to have gone away completely, that one was super annoying. Wanted to mention it in case anyone had a similar issue.

But I still have a sqeaky cup holder cover plate, the slidey thing. When I put something in the back of it, its reduced, when I hold it in place open with a finger strongly, it never sqeaks. I am booked for some other stuff in 2 weeks so will mention it. But does anyone know please if thebsliding cover is easily removed? Tbh i never close it, i could do without it completely.

Thanks!
Fuck me, this is making me nuts! I think I have the same issue. I just made a new post about it.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2024, 08:19 AM   #10
tylerdurdem
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 BGM M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerdurdem View Post
I have a squeak in the steering column that sounds like two cables rubbing together. Anyone else?
Finally got annoyed enough with this to take it to the dealer, turns out it was coming from the HUD, they got it open and found it had already gotten some felt tape at the factory, so it may be prone to rattling/squeaking. It's so nice to have it gone, hopefully for good.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2024, 08:25 PM   #11
DoritoKing
Rep
Drives: Mach 1 HP, ND2 Miata, G87 M2

I only have 1 rattle and its coming from the shift lever or shift boot at certain rpms in certain gears. Adjusting the shift boot seems to temporarily make it go away sometimes, but it comes back after shifting again. Does anyone know how to remove the shift boot? I tried to pull it up like in the IND shift knob replacement video, but can’t seem to pull it out.
Appreciate 0