home
BMW M2 Forums 2023+ (G87) BMW M2 G87 General Topics

06-04-2023, 06:32 PM   #1
ZPD
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M850i GC, 2023 G87

My order experience

Hey guys- Thought I would share my experience ordering my G87.
I have been watching this car for a few years and like a lot of you anticipating and digesting every press release and rumor as they come out. In Nov '22 I was in the market for a new daily driver and was at a few dealerships test-driving 5 and 8 series. I told my closest dealership and the one that I ultimately bought my M850i from that I was interested in ordering an M2 as soon as I could. Well, this is where my ignorance comes in because I had no idea how the order bank, allocation, HEA process worked. Both dealerships just kinda smiled and nodded and I thought that they would contact me when I could get on some sort of list.
Fast forward to April and HEA cars are out and I haven't heard from either dealerships that I expressed interest in so I contact them. One dealership tells me that they are only taking orders for locals only and the other tells me that they have 6 people in their order bank and are not adding anyone until they fulfill those orders
I was advised to call other dealers and see what I could find out. I called what I think is every BMW dealership in TX plus a few in NM and OK. Out of the 25+ dealerships that I called- order banks varied from 4 to 60 (!), lead times where up to 24 months, and every dealership that was willing to add me to an order bank required a deposit and charged a markup varying between $5K-$20K. If they didn't have a markup then they had some other fee like a mandated tire warranty, window tint, or ceramic coating that still totaled $10K.
I placed a refundable deposit for an MY24 with a dealer who appeared to be the most helpful and had a relatively short order bank with an anticipated fulfillment date of Dec or Jan.
However, on Friday another dealer called me and they just got an allocation and so they gave it to me. Now my Brooklyn Grey with carbon package has a production number and a build date of July 28th. I did have to do a $5K markup so good job to those that got your M2 at or below MSRP.
I am honestly surprised at much I had to do to order this car and a little disappointed how many of the dealerships brushed me off. Nevertheless, now that I have a build date- I am looking forward to getting this car on the track!
Appreciate 4
cmgbk752634.50
02M3ForMe4269.00
ronin130131002.00
      06-04-2023, 06:42 PM   #2
JustinHEMI
Not great. Not terrible
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X3 M40i

Sorry you had so much trouble but persistence is key and it paid off! Congratulations!
      06-04-2023, 07:12 PM   #3
cmgbk75
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G87, G26, E46, Mk6 5K

Garage List
2023 M2  [8.66]
2022 i4 40  [8.33]
2001 325Cic  [6.67]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZPD View Post
Hey guys- Thought I would share my experience ordering my G87.
I have been watching this car for a few years and like a lot of you anticipating and digesting every press release and rumor as they come out. In Nov '22 I was in the market for a new daily driver and was at a few dealerships test-driving 5 and 8 series. I told my closest dealership and the one that I ultimately bought my M850i from that I was interested in ordering an M2 as soon as I could. Well, this is where my ignorance comes in because I had no idea how the order bank, allocation, HEA process worked. Both dealerships just kinda smiled and nodded and I thought that they would contact me when I could get on some sort of list.
Fast forward to April and HEA cars are out and I haven't heard from either dealerships that I expressed interest in so I contact them. One dealership tells me that they are only taking orders for locals only and the other tells me that they have 6 people in their order bank and are not adding anyone until they fulfill those orders
I was advised to call other dealers and see what I could find out. I called what I think is every BMW dealership in TX plus a few in NM and OK. Out of the 25+ dealerships that I called- order banks varied from 4 to 60 (!), lead times where up to 24 months, and every dealership that was willing to add me to an order bank required a deposit and charged a markup varying between $5K-$20K. If they didn't have a markup then they had some other fee like a mandated tire warranty, window tint, or ceramic coating that still totaled [...]
Congrats, now you know for next time. Have you put down a deposit on the CS yet ?
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2023, 07:47 PM   #4
ZPD
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M850i GC, 2023 G87

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmgbk75 View Post
Congrats, now you know for next time. Have you put down a deposit on the CS yet ?
lol, we will see how this one goes.
Appreciate 0