home
BMW 2 Series Forums (G42) G42 2-Series General Topics

03-21-2022, 09:52 PM   #23
MPR
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 BMW M240i

Am I going to be the only one who is buying and not leasing? I was on the fence between the M240i and the new Z but am really leaning towards the BMW. The Nissan wins in I can work on it myself and Japanese reliability. The BMW wins with AWD, electronics, comfort, close enough or possibly equal in performance, and I think it looks better.

I keep my cars for 5-7 years, or possibly longer. The B58 seems solid so I'm relatively comfortable from a reliability perspective. Am I better off leasing and then deciding to buy at the end? Was planning to pay half in cash and finance half. Having a BMW or any German car outside of warranty is kind of scary. Can anyone weigh in with their experience in post-warranty year(s)? Not this car obviously, but BMW's in general.

I will likely do maintenance myself (oil, coolant, transmission fluid, brake fluid, brake pads, etc.)

Last edited by MPR; 03-21-2022 at 10:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2022, 07:43 PM   #24
Ravenseal
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPR View Post
Am I going to be the only one who is buying and not leasing? I was on the fence between the M240i and the new Z but am really leaning towards the BMW. The Nissan wins in I can work on it myself and Japanese reliability. The BMW wins with AWD, electronics, comfort, close enough or possibly equal in performance, and I think it looks better.

I keep my cars for 5-7 years, or possibly longer. The B58 seems solid so I'm relatively comfortable from a reliability perspective. Am I better off leasing and then deciding to buy at the end? Was planning to pay half in cash and finance half. Having a BMW or any German car outside of warranty is kind of scary. Can anyone weigh in with their experience in post-warranty year(s)? Not this car obviously, but BMW's in general.

I will likely do maintenance myself (oil, coolant, transmission fluid, brake fluid, brake pads, etc.)
I’m sure a lot of people will argue for or against my thought process - but I planned to lease the car, see how it runs for those 3 years, and after that, if I like it enough, I’m happy to have it CPO’d and buy it back with an extra year of warranty. If shit happens - like getting into an accident or a general indicator of poor reliability, I can cut myself loose. In a traditional car market, which is NOT what we’re currently living in, BMWs lose a ton of value. I don’t think I’ve ever met anyone who financed a German car for 5/6 years and came out on top when they went to sell it (not counting Porsches, lol). I consider leases a dating period before marriage.

Retired: 2022 M240i xDrive | 2021 Audi RS5 | 2019 Camaro 2SS 1LE 6MT | 2016 428i GC | 2011 BMW 335is
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2022, 09:27 PM   #25
MPR
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenseal View Post
I’m sure a lot of people will argue for or against my thought process - but I planned to lease the car, see how it runs for those 3 years, and after that, if I like it enough, I’m happy to have it CPO’d and buy it back with an extra year of warranty. If shit happens - like getting into an accident or a general indicator of poor reliability, I can cut myself loose. In a traditional car market, which is NOT what we’re currently living in, BMWs lose a ton of value. I don’t think I’ve ever met anyone who financed a German car for 5/6 years and came out on top when they went to sell it (not counting Porsches, lol). I consider leases a dating period before marriage.
Yeah, I'm having second thoughts on buying this and dealing with it for years 4-8. I just hate the thought of leasing as it's like a long term rental. I'd like to add some carbon fiber etc. And do not want any surprises on lease turn in. Plus worrying about the mileage sucks.

What happens if I go over mileage even if I plan to buy it after the lease? Does it not matter?

May hold off on this and drive the new Nissan Z and go from there. I love Japanese cars from a diy maintenance and cost perspective

Last edited by MPR; 03-22-2022 at 09:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2022, 09:47 PM   #26
Ravenseal
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, I'm having second thoughts on buying this and dealing with it for years 4-8. I just hate the thought of leasing as it's like a long term rental. I'd like to add some carbon fiber etc. And do not want any surprises on lease turn in. Plus worrying about the mileage sucks.

What happens if I go over mileage even if I plan to buy it after the lease? Does it not matter?

May hold off on this and drive the new Nissan Z and go from there. I love Japanese cars from a diy maintenance and cost perspective
If you go over the miles leased, you can buy the car out to avoid fees. Also, you can still make modifications as long as you either a) buy BMW OEM M performance parts or b) undo the modifications before turn in. Obviously you can't tune the car (which voids the warranty anyway). I thought about the Z but I don't think that car will be widely available until 2024.

Retired: 2022 M240i xDrive | 2021 Audi RS5 | 2019 Camaro 2SS 1LE 6MT | 2016 428i GC | 2011 BMW 335is
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2022, 12:48 PM   #27
MPR
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Yeah, I'm hoping they announce something soon, I'm ready to buy. Was hoping to test drive both and go from there.

Also now thinking about the new M2. If the MSRP comes out to ~$60K (which it should being M3 is $70k), I may go for it being the M240 as optioned is nearly $60K. But the M2 will come down to minimal options as I'd want to make low 60's my cap, so it may not work.

At the same time, if the M240 pans out to be 90% of the M2, I may stick with the M240 given the fuel economy and comfort.

Last edited by MPR; 03-23-2022 at 09:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2022, 11:22 PM   #28
BMWMFanM240i
Rep
Drives: M240i

Or there is always BMW select.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2022, 07:21 AM   #29
MPR
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWMFanM240i View Post
Or there is always BMW select.
That is awesome, didn't know this was a thing. Thanks. I just did the math and I don't think leasing would work with my work commute, so maybe I can do BMW Select on an M2
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2022, 09:32 AM   #30
Golddog
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 Alfa Romeo Stelvio

Quote:

I am buying mine. I will keep it for the 4 years, 50,000 miles while under warranty. If I decide to keep it, I will purchase an extended warranty just before the factory warranty expires. I normally lease, but in todays environment, I would never pay $900+ a month on a $56K car.
      03-25-2022, 12:06 AM   #31
Mrbig5hot
Rep

Hey guys question regarding buying a g42, what do you guys think about doing a ballon payment on the g42? I have my car in production now and I am looking at all the options. Leasing is too expensive and financing is an option but my CA offer me the ballon option. Just want to get your takes on it.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2022, 11:43 AM   #32
MPR
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

I thought about it but am probably just going to finance mine. With the balloon, you are making depreciation payments for X years and then you will have to finance for X years at the end. Basically paying for the car for 8+ years. If I understand it correctly that is

I'm considering paying half cash and finance half but haven't decided. I can't lease as I may go over mileage for work

Last edited by MPR; 03-26-2022 at 12:20 AM..
Appreciate 1
      03-25-2022, 11:48 AM   #33
Ravenseal
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrbig5hot View Post
Hey guys question regarding buying a g42, what do you guys think about doing a ballon payment on the g42? I have my car in production now and I am looking at all the options. Leasing is too expensive and financing is an option but my CA offer me the ballon option. Just want to get your takes on it.
If you have to do a balloon loan, you probably can't afford the car.

Appreciate 0
      03-26-2022, 12:39 AM   #34
Mrbig5hot
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenseal View Post
Quote:
If you have to do a balloon loan, you probably can't afford the car.
Who told you this? Do you know me to assume I can't afford a car? I am speaking about options purchasing the car! Idk what planet your in right now but if you're just waking up the automotive industry isn't the same!
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2022, 03:02 PM   #35
NoSuchSol
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 23 G80 Yellow

Quote:
Who told you this? Do you know me to assume I can't afford a car? I am speaking about options purchasing the car! Idk what planet your in right now but if you're just waking up the automotive industry isn't the same!
It's the internet - calm down a little. Balloon payments happen all the time but that doesn't mean it's a good idea. If you also are in the habit of trading cars out and rolling in your amortization, then you could get to the point where they will not allow you to do (risk increases). You tend to need good credit to get into a balloon payment. I guess the only pro is the lower monthly payment to begin with but it sets the one taking the loan in a weird position if they can't plan for that increased payment/s at the end.

Side note - I purchased a pretty loaded used m240i for about 4-5k under MSRP. It ended up being just a little more than what I wanted to pay (mostly due to trade-in value) but it also has quite a few more options than what I would have settled for in a new car.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2022, 10:09 PM   #36
Mrbig5hot
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSuchSol View Post
Quote:
It's the internet - calm down a little. Balloon payments happen all the time but that doesn't mean it's a good idea. If you also are in the habit of trading cars out and rolling in your amortization, then you could get to the point where they will not allow you to do (risk increases). You tend to need good credit to get into a balloon payment. I guess the only pro is the lower monthly payment to begin with but it sets the one taking the loan in a weird position if they can't plan for that increased payment/s at the end.

Side note - I purchased a pretty loaded used m240i for about 4-5k under MSRP. It ended up being just a little more than what I wanted to pay (mostly due to trade-in value) but it also has quite a few more options than what I would have settled for in a new car.
Dude I appreciate the explanation but what you said before wasn't necessary! I have the right respond the way I did bc you decided to be sarcastic! So don't tell me to calm down! You changed my whole topic into a rude remark and all I wanted to find out was a ballon payment option. Anyways thank you for explanation I'm done with this topic!
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2022, 09:30 PM   #37
MPR
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Is anyone getting the M240 at below MSRP? I had a call with my dealer and they pretty much said that the price as built on BMW's website is what I'd pay.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2022, 09:48 PM   #38
Ravenseal
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Is anyone getting the M240 at below MSRP? I had a call with my dealer and they pretty much said that the price as built on BMW's website is what I'd pay.
Lol, no.

Appreciate 0
      03-27-2022, 10:28 PM   #39
BigYak
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C BSM DCT

Quote:
Dealer contribution took my price under MSRP when I placed my order March 1st. No allocation yet.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2022, 08:02 PM   #40
NoSuchSol
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigYak View Post
Dealer contribution took my price under MSRP when I placed my order March 1st. No allocation yet.
I was seeing either MSRP or 5k above out here in California. There ended up being four used ones that came up over the last few days. 2 were maybe 200-300.00 under MSRP and the other two were a couple to four thousand under.

I was a little late on one that had the M Performance Carbon Fiber interior. That would have been fun.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2022, 08:06 PM   #41
MPR
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Roger, ok, I'll be grateful with MSRP then
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2022, 07:47 AM   #42
Golddog
First Lieutenant
Rep

I had a dealer offer me $1K off MSRP if I placed an order. Sounded good but they weren't sure when they would get an allocation and their "DOC FEES" took a big bite out of the discount. Found a dealer, closer to me, with an allocation, at MSRP.
yanks1484.00
NoSuchSol167.50
      03-29-2022, 07:20 PM   #43
NoSuchSol
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Roger, ok, I'll be grateful with MSRP then
I was surprised that the luxury dealerships would do Dealer Markups. I never got a great deal @ Audi but they were never over. When this market got weird both Audi and BMW dealerships in my area started that DM stuff.

The Ford, Chevy, and Dodge were always terrible about it. Hellcats with 15k markup. The Bronco and Mach-E are around that too. Heck, the local dealership had DM's on the Ford Maverick!! It's a 20k truck.... for goodness sakes!
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2022, 07:26 PM   #44
Golddog
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSuchSol View Post
I was surprised that the luxury dealerships would do Dealer Markups. I never got a great deal @ Audi but they were never over. When this market got weird both Audi and BMW dealerships in my area started that DM stuff.

The Ford, Chevy, and Dodge were always terrible about it. Hellcats with 15k markup. The Bronco and Mach-E are around that too. Heck, the local dealership had DM's on the Ford Maverick!! It's a 20k truck.... for goodness sakes!
I was trying to help a member of my credit union get a car. They were interested in a Kia Forte. I called three dealerships and they all were adding anywhere from 2k to 5k over MSRP. For a farkin Forte.
NoSuchSol167.50