Today, 08:29 AM   #1
Cgdigisco
Registered
Rep
Drives: Cadillac CT4V Blackwing

First Time BMW Buyer - M2

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Hey Guys, I’m looking to buy/order a BMW M2 Manual. I’ve always liked them, but I’ve never actually owned a BMW before so I do have a few questions.

1) Is there any must have option (I recognize this is a bit subjective)?
2) Are there any widespread or recurring issues with the platform that I will have to deal with?
3) Is everyone paying MSRP or should I expect mark up? Are there any incentives or room to negotiate here?
4) Are there any BMW extended warranties/service agreements that are worth while? I’d love to keep this car for at least 5 years.

I’m coming from a CT4V Blackwing which is an awesome car, but I have no confidence in the platform because of issues I’ve dealt with and others that the community has. I appreciate all the help!
Appreciate 0
      Today, 08:49 AM   #2
Montaver
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 & M340i LCI

Carbon roof is must have. I got 3pc off MSRP. No major weakpounts, it’s basically the same as the G8x which has been out for a while. People complain about the brake dust, ride height, and the exposed lower cooling radiators (which can be protected) but that’s about it.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 10:00 AM   #3
JMcLellan
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgdigisco View Post
Hey Guys, I’m looking to buy/order a BMW M2 Manual. I’ve always liked them, but I’ve never actually owned a BMW before so I do have a few questions.

2) Are there any widespread or recurring issues with the platform that I will have to deal with?
3) Is everyone paying MSRP or should I expect mark up? Are there any incentives or room to negotiate here?
4) Are there any BMW extended warranties/service agreements that are worth while? I’d love to keep this car for at least 5 years.

I’m coming from a CT4V Blackwing which is an awesome car, but I have no confidence in the platform because of issues I’ve dealt with and others that the community has. I appreciate all the help!
Must have for me was the 6mt transmission and the M Perf height adjustable suspension (stock ride height is high and lots of gap).

Only "issues" are lots of brake dust with the OEM pads (easierto deal with when optioning the bi color wheels), folks that optioned the wireless charger have said it isn't worth it.

Regarding pricing and incentives: If you are building your own car through an allocation I would expect you would pay the sticker price (might vary if you are the east or west coast). I have heard of people getting some money off MSRP for cars that the initial buyer backed out of. And there maybe some discounts for 2024 models as buyers are moving/waiting for 2025's. I was not able to get any incentives on my M2 through my local dealer.
      Today, 10:15 AM   #4
iifymbro
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 M2

1. Only options I consider a true "must-have" are the carbon interior trim and the upgraded headlight package, the rest are a personal choice.

2. no known recurring issues w/ the platform except insane brake dust with the stock pads as mentioned above.

3. yep, around msrp.

4. dunno about that, I didn't opt for any
Appreciate 0
      Today, 11:06 AM   #5
Cgdigisco
Registered
Rep

You guys are awesome - thank you so much! I’m definitely going with a manual.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 11:36 AM   #6
RockCrusher
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2023 ZB M2 6-speed

My M2 -- bought off the showroom floor -- has the CF roof. Like the looks of it. Weight savings and lower CG doesn't really matter to me. I only drive the car on the street.

Car also came with a 6-speed manual. Great transmission. And no complaints about the clutch either. Have the Gear Shift Assistance feature on.

My M2 has heated seats, but not a heated steering wheel. Yeah, I know life is tough...

But my hands sure do appreciate heated steering wheel in cold weather. (Thankfully my 230xi has both heated seats and steering wheel.) Yes I wear gloves in cold weather but the car controls -- buttons/knobs/etc. -- are not really for gloved hands/fingers.

Really like the car. Gets lots of compliments. (Zandvoort Blue is a real eye catcher.) And more importantly it is a great drive.

Oh, I bought the car April 2023 for sticker.

I'm not a fan of extended warranties. If my M2 proves to be a problem car this under its factory warranty I'm not getting an extended warranty I'm dumping the car.

USA cars come with 4 year 50K mile warranty. Any extended warranty/service plan you get will almost certainly run concurrently with the factory warranty.

Thus if you buy a 7 year plan you only get 3 years beyond the factory warranty.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 11:46 AM   #7
JMcLellan
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockCrusher View Post
Have the Gear Shift Assistance feature on.

I'm not a fan of extended warranties. If my M2 proves to be a problem car this under its factory warranty I'm not getting an extended warranty I'm dumping the car.

USA cars come with 4 year 50K mile warranty. Any extended warranty/service plan you get will almost certainly run concurrently with the factory warranty.

Thus if you buy a 7 year plan you only get 3 years beyond the factory warranty.

I want to double down on the gear shift assistance feature as that has become maybe my favorite feature on the car. It makes downshifting and braking so much easier for me.

Regarding the extended warranties I would consider the planned amount of mileage in addition to length of ownership. This is my 2nd BMW and I have opted out of any extended service plans because I just don't drive that many miles (5k to 6k annually) so figure the risk of issues is lower vs having a higher mileage vehicle.
      Today, 11:50 AM   #8
MineralGreyMetallic
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 24 BGM M2 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMcLellan View Post
I want to double down on the gear shift assistance feature as that has become maybe my favorite feature on the car. It makes downshifting and braking so much easier for me.
Interesting to hear that.

I was so happy I could disable that in the G87, because I couldn't in the F87.

I do a lot of engine braking around town in lower gears, and I was sick of pedestrians thinking I was revving my engine at them.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 11:58 AM   #9
DSTR
Captain
Rep
Drives: 22 M240iX / 23 M2 Tor-Red

Quote:

Please test drive this car before you do any configuration. Test it. Experience it.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 12:01 PM   #10
M_Power Rob
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '23 M240 and '23 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSTR View Post
Please test drive this car before you do any configuration. Test it. Experience it.

In many cases, not possible.
Appreciate 2
Ronin76861.50
Snarky1.50
      Today, 12:08 PM   #11
JMcLellan
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MineralGreyMetallic View Post
Interesting to hear that.

I was so happy I could disable that in the G87, because I couldn't in the F87.

I do a lot of engine braking around town in lower gears, and I was sick of pedestrians thinking I was revving my engine at them.
Funny. I don't really think of the engine noise with the stock exhaust even in the sport modes. I'm used to my previous car with a catless DP and MP axleback which got loud and figure my M2 is much quieter. When I'm not needing to downshift while braking I just let er roll in neutral.
      Today, 12:09 PM   #12
Carefree
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M240i, M2

There are no “must haves”.
IMO, the biggest decision is automatic vs. 6MT.
After that, personalize your car.
One man’s ceiling is another man’s floor.
Appreciate 1
      Today, 12:14 PM   #13
two_three_two
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BSM G87, Mk4 R32

Quote:

1) manual, CF roof, and heated steering wheel. i am odd man out in that i specifically did not order my car with the headlight package.
2) exposed, downward facing intercooler. lots of aftermarket shields for it now. otherwise, i am at 8k miles now and its been flawless.
3) should be MSRP or under. if its over MSRP, run dont walk to the next dealer.
4) cant speak to this, but S58 has been shaken out pretty thoroughly at this point otherwise i would not have bought.

to turn it around, i am very curious what the problems have been that are making you want to move/well known in your community- obviously a lot of us cross shopped the other direction but went BMW. this car seems to be attracting a lot of first time BMW buyers (myself included)
Appreciate 0
      Today, 12:33 PM   #14
JABCAT
Professor
Rep
Drives: '23 M2 & '22 X3 M Competition

1. The only options I wouldn't select are the full carbon pkg (just not worth $10k to me), wireless charging, and 5g eSIM. The CF roof might be cool, but I've got a Carbon Edition Z06 with fixed roof, so the sunroof on the M2 is nice.

2. No known issues that I'm aware.

3. I paid MSRP & found mine at a local dealer pretty much spec'd the way I would've ordered.

4. Standard warranty is 4/50, so I wouldn't worry about extended warranty until much later into ownership if you're planning to keep it beyond that.

*Port-installed options are cool, but you're going to pay full price for them instead of saving a lot of money buying the parts online from sites like www.bmwpartscenter.com or similar.
Attached Images

His: '23 M2, Toronto Red Metallic, M highlight interior, carbon fiber interior trim, shadowline, lighting pkg, auto cruise, live cockpit pro.
Appreciate 1
      Today, 12:54 PM   #15
apez
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW G87 M2, F25 X3

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [7.62]
2015 BMW X3  [7.25]
If you care about ride height or plan on lowering it, M Performance Height Adjustable Suspension (MP HAS) is a port installed option. Getting it port installed means it is on your sticker and fully covered under the same warranty as the rest of the car.

Wireless charger is different between the manual and the auto. The one in the Manual is widely regarded as garbage that takes up center console room.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 01:17 PM   #16
Ronin76
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Power Rob View Post
In many cases, not possible.
Yup, can’t find one anywhere near me to test drive.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 01:38 PM   #17
JMcLellan
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin76 View Post
Yup, can’t find one anywhere near me to test drive.
I was able to test drive one months before I picked up mine but it was a grind getting the dealer to let me drive the car. If it hadn't been for that test drive I'm not sure I would have ordered one. At that time though I wasn't on these G87 forums and seeing people post their positive experiences with these cars.
Ronin76861.50
      Today, 01:49 PM   #18
BMR.WRLD
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '24 G87 M2 w/CF Pkg + MP HAS

I'm a first time buyer of a BMW as well. I did a lot of research on the G8X platform and it's rock solid. I have no worries.

Must have for me was the Carbon Package and auto. But really my entire spec. I knew what I wanted and did it. It had to be Brooklyn Grey, it had to have black wheels ad red calipers, it had to have the HUD etc.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      Today, 04:50 PM   #19
Cgdigisco
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSTR View Post
Funny enough, I’ve had a hard time even finding one to sit in. I got to do that yesterday, though I didn’t really get to drive it the way I would want to to experience it.

There was a lot I liked about it though, and my only concern (the clutch) was not bad by any means. I wasn’t crazy about all of the touch screen climate controls, but with the important stuff I really liked it.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 05:46 PM   #20
Cgdigisco
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by two_three_two View Post
1) manual, CF roof, and heated steering wheel. i am odd man out in that i specifically did not order my car with the headlight package.
2) exposed, downward facing intercooler. lots of aftermarket shields for it now. otherwise, i am at 8k miles now and its been flawless.
3) should be MSRP or under. if its over MSRP, run dont walk to the next dealer.
4) cant speak to this, but S58 has been shaken out pretty thoroughly at this point otherwise i would not have bought.

to turn it around, i am very curious what the problems have been that are making you want to move/well known in your community- obviously a lot of us cross shopped the other direction but went BMW. this car seems to be attracting a lot of first time BMW buyers (myself included)
Right on - thank you for the feedback. For what it’s worth, the Blackwing has been my favorite car I’ve ever owned, and I did not intend to sell it after only 2 years. However, there’s been a few BIG issues with the car. For quite a few owners, they were experiencing the vehicle losing all power brakes and steering, with no warning. It was pretty widespread on the forums, and I’d be lying if it didn’t make me think twice about getting after it.

The other was folks going through brake rotors like they were skittles. They were getting warped and constantly needing replacement, with one owner going through 4 sets in less than 20k miles. I just picked my car up from the dealership today for this problem at 14k miles, and they told me that Cadillac only covers anything brake related for 7500 miles. I lucked out since they installed them after telling me that it was covered, but I don’t have a lot of confidence in the car anymore. It feels like I’m just waiting for the next big issue to pop up.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 05:46 PM   #21
Kayger12
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M2 (orderd); '05 330Ci ZHP

I asked about build options, regrets, and second guessing. Got great feedback here:

https://g87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=2097924
Appreciate 0