home
BMW 2 Series Forums (G42) G42 2-Series General Topics

10-31-2023, 06:59 AM   #1
German1967
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235xi - 2022 992 C2S Cab

G42 - Gremlins & Issues & Problems (and their solutions)

As the title says. This is a thread for all things odd or not working with your G42 and solutions you found.

Let me start:

Random reboots of iDrive 8 from day one. Dealer upgrades software from 07.2023.55 to 07.2023.58. Problem gone. Shocking though that since my production date (August 14) three incremental software updates are issued as bug fixes.

After one week of ownership I am receiving an error message “Adaptive headlights malfunctioning”. Comes and goes. Will have it checked after break in oil change.
      10-31-2023, 07:26 AM   #2
Sonic RR
I drink and I pretend to know things.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 320I XDRIVE BASE TRASH

I've had a rear diff leak. Not fixed yet, they did an input shaft seal but now believe it's the actuator seal. I'm told this the diff is a different design starting in 23MY.

The Carplay pass through for nav still intermittently shows car in wrong position. Mostly solved with the OTA software back around Aug'23.

Happy to say no reboots of my ID8 so far. I feel like it's inevitable but has been spotless for me. Planning to code a few items like auto start/stop. Update if anything changes.

Most frustrating for me personally, I disabled the walk up comfort access. The normal CA does not respond well. Often have to actually pull remote out and press button . I'm careful not to contact the lock dashes when trying to open. I've had BMWs, Audis,Mercs for years. I know how it's supposed to work. It just kinda sucks. I had an F30 that wasn't great too. Has anyone else noticed same thing?

Sonic
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2023, 07:41 AM   #3
JoeyJoeJo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G42 M240ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic RR View Post
The normal CA does not respond well. Often have to actually pull remote out and press button . I'm careful not to contact the lock dashes when trying to open. I've had BMWs, Audis,Mercs for years. I know how it's supposed to work. It just kinda sucks. I had an F30 that wasn't great too. Has anyone else noticed same thing?
I have but I know the cause for me, I have a pair of wireless earbuds and if the charging case is in the same pocket as the fob, comfort access is bad, if it's in another pocket, is fine. Very weird but was exactly the same on my F40. It had kick release hatch so annoying when loaded with stuff and kicking under trying to open!
      10-31-2023, 09:07 AM   #4
StolenLexus
Rep
Drives: 23 230i

Yeah, the comfort access works most of the time for me, but not all the time.

I don't have it set to unlock when approaching the vehicle, but a lot of time when I have my hand under the door handle, the proximity sensor doesn't recognize my key fob, I guess, and it doesn't unlock. When that happens, I'll just lift the door handle and it'll unlock...sometimes. Other times I'll lift the door handle and it still won't open, resorting to me having to use the key fob to unlock the car lol.

I DO have it set to lock when walking away and that works maybe 95% of the time. At times I'll be a good distance away without hearing the lock beep, resorting to me having to use the key fob to lock the car lol.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2023, 09:12 AM   #5
darkvader0
Private
Rep
Drives: 2024 M240i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by StolenLexus View Post

I don't have it set to unlock when approaching the vehicle, but a lot of time when I have my hand under the door handle, the proximity sensor doesn't recognize my key fob, I guess, and it doesn't unlock. When that happens, I'll just lift the door handle and it'll unlock...sometimes. Other times I'll lift the door handle and it still won't open, resorting to me having to use the key fob to unlock the car lol.

I DO have it set to lock when walking away and that works maybe 95% of the time. At times I'll be a good distance away without hearing the lock beep, resorting to me having to use the key fob to lock the car lol.
Hmm I have the same quirks with mine. I thought it was just the way I was using it and needed to get used to how it liked to be handled "just so" lol. Mine is set the same way also--set to lock when walking away, but NOT unlock when approaching.

This car has lots of little customizable settings that I have enjoyed exploring and making it just the way I like it.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2023, 09:32 AM   #6
Sonic RR
I drink and I pretend to know things.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 320I XDRIVE BASE TRASH

I only mention it because these key proximity systems for years seem to work better on other brands. it's annoying but BMW does the thing I enjoy when driving, best.

Sonic
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2023, 09:40 AM   #7
Bandit009
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240i xdrive

Radio station scrolling using steering wheel buttons stops randomingly then I need to go to presets to get the scrolling to start again. Scrolls perfectly fine if I am streaming music from my phone.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2023, 09:43 AM   #8
Nate48
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240i xDrive

USB C in the arm rest. It would work, then wouldn't work. Now it's just dead. I haven't had a chance to get with the dealer to fix it.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2023, 10:29 AM   #9
dy444
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW G42 M240i xDrive

I've got a lottery as to whether Connected Services are going to work on any given day. It'll be working fine one day then next day I get in the car and they don't work. Then after a couple of days they come back. Resetting iDrive makes no difference nor does the recent software upgrade which appeared the other day. I've had a few cars with Connected Services now and they all worked flawlessly. This one doesn't.

I've had BMWs for more years than I care to remember and there was a time when their customer service was the best in the industry. Now they don't even acknowledge emails from long standing customers.
G42 M240i xDrive. Brooklyn Grey, 19" Bicolour Double-spoke style 893 M alloy wheels with performance tyres, Technology Plus Pack, M Adaptive Suspension, Harman/Kardon Surround Sound Audio System, Heated Steering Wheel, Aluminium Rhombicle Interior Trim
Appreciate 2
      10-31-2023, 11:37 AM   #10
LivingInSalt
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M240i

I had a couple of instances in a 3 day period of a TPM sensor malfunction warning but everything is working fine and pressures are fine
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2023, 12:36 PM   #11
P_Chris
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i

Garage List
2022 M240i  [0.00]
Only happened a few times but the car will randomly think the drivers door is open when driving. Warning on the dash and interior lights come on. Open and close door does nothing. Door is closed but car doesn’t think it isnt. Allows driving but the window stays cracked.

Power cycle fixes it. Happened 3 times since Feb ‘22
      10-31-2023, 02:16 PM   #12
OriginalFake
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240i

I've had none of these issues other than Comfort Access not working maybe a handful of times in the last year.
Appreciate 1
Sonic RR129.00
      10-31-2023, 02:47 PM   #13
German1967
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235xi - 2022 992 C2S Cab

Re: Comfort Access: locking when leaving so far has worked every time. Unlocking when touching fails maybe 20% of the time for no apparent reason.

iPhone 15 PM: CarPlay won’t connect with VPN active.
      10-31-2023, 06:52 PM   #14
TJZ67201
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 M240i

I have had none of the issues mentioned so far but will add to this:

1. Rear suspension thump - no official resolution
2. Rear deck lid vibration with loud music - added felt tape to stop plastic rattle
3. Creak / non-premium sound when pulling on the interior door handle - pulled on it really hard and that somewhat stopped it
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2023, 06:55 PM   #15
WilcoJunoHotel
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 M240i RWD

Radio and dash stay on for about 15-20 minutes upon exiting but not locking the car. Also will do the same if either door is opened even if key is not present.

Guessing it is a software glitch and likely will need a reload. Prob won't do anything about it until I take it in for the 1st scheduled service
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2023, 08:20 PM   #16
Brian1988
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW, G42

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilcoJunoHotel View Post
Radio and dash stay on for about 15-20 minutes upon exiting but not locking the car. Also will do the same if either door is opened even if key is not present.

Guessing it is a software glitch and likely will need a reload. Prob won't do anything about it until I take it in for the 1st scheduled service
I noticed this happens to me if I open my door instantly as I turn the car off or if I turn it off after opening the door. If I turn the car off and wait a second or two before opening the door the radio stops playing as I open the door.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2023, 08:41 PM   #17
darkvader0
Private
Rep
Drives: 2024 M240i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJZ67201 View Post
I have had none of the issues mentioned so far but will add to this:

1. Rear suspension thump - no official resolution
2. Rear deck lid vibration with loud music - added felt tape to stop plastic rattle
3. Creak / non-premium sound when pulling on the interior door handle - pulled on it really hard and that somewhat stopped it
Heard that rattle for the first time today. Was like "Cmon man... my Ford truck has zero rattles with 20K miles, and my 10 year old Hyundai that I traded in for this M240i had zero rattles, but my brand new first BMW rattles with 1500 miles on it....sheeeesh."
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2023, 09:03 PM   #18
TJZ67201
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkvader0 View Post
Heard that rattle for the first time today. Was like "Cmon man... my Ford truck has zero rattles with 20K miles, and my 10 year old Hyundai that I traded in for this M240i had zero rattles, but my brand new first BMW rattles with 1500 miles on it....sheeeesh."
Yeah it’s pretty lame but the 3-series does it as well. This has actually been an issue with BMWs for over a decade at this point. Should really have been addressed by now…
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2023, 07:23 AM   #19
WilcoJunoHotel
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 M240i RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian1988 View Post
I noticed this happens to me if I open my door instantly as I turn the car off or if I turn it off after opening the door. If I turn the car off and wait a second or two before opening the door the radio stops playing as I open the door.
Not the same - my car can sit overnight in the garage unlocked. I walk out and open the driver or passenger door (without the key fob) and the dash and radio come alive. Close the door and they stay on for 15 minutes or so.

I pull in my garage after a drive and turn it off. I then open any door and it will stay on even after closing either door, and stay on for about 15 minutes.

Whatever is causing it, it is very repeatable. There has not been an instant where it has not done this. Has to be some type of programming. If I had Bimmercode I might take a look but it doesn't bother me enough to do that and I will be taking it to the dealer eventually for the 1st service.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2023, 01:26 PM   #20
TheGeekGuy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic RR View Post
The Carplay pass through for nav still intermittently shows car in wrong position. Mostly solved with the OTA software back around Aug'23.
The issue is with the iPhone and its GPS passthrough. There are several threads online about it. I am waiting for Apple to get their shit together and fix it.

Gone but not forgotten:
2021 MINI JCW GP • 2016 MINI JCW • 2012 MINI Couper S • 2010 MINI Cooper S Camden Edition
Appreciate 1
Sonic RR129.00
      11-01-2023, 01:31 PM   #21
LivingInSalt
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGeekGuy View Post
The issue is with the iPhone and its GPS passthrough. There are several threads online about it. I am waiting for Apple to get their shit together and fix it.

It has been fixed for me with no exceptions since the software update in May
Appreciate 1
Sonic RR129.00
      11-01-2023, 06:59 PM   #22
BlueLEDz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW 230i

Quote:
Originally Posted by StolenLexus View Post

I have found that if comfort access isn’t working correctly, to turn the function off and then back on. That has worked for me.

If the door isn’t unlocking when you put your hand under the handle, try shaking the key in your pocket. The key disables If movement isn’t detected. I presume for me anyways, that the key isn’t moving enough in my pocket and it turns off. If I shake my pocket a little and then try to open the door, it works.
Appreciate 2