BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BMW M2 Forums 2023+ (G87) BMW M2 G87 General Topics

11-02-2022, 07:43 AM   #45
anitasanger
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Toyota taco

Lots of fragile psyches around here. I've never seen people get their knickers in such a twist over a colour. A Third Reich edition, complete with Reichsadlers and Schutzstaffel roundels wouldn't get this much hate.
Appreciate 3
      11-02-2022, 11:23 AM   #46
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by anitasanger View Post
Lots of fragile psyches around here. I've never seen people get their knickers in such a twist over a colour.
The amount of hate both about the color and the look is crazy. Color is extremely subjective. This color isn't for me, but it's not even as polarizing as brown or pink or something.

It also gets old to see 1M and F87 owners bash the car endlessly. I own an F87, but I try to stay objective. There are a lot of salty ass owners who are so biased it's ridiculous. This happens every time, but it seems even more vitriolic since the G8x has been released. The irony is half of these clowns will probably end up in a G87 and defend it rabidly from there forward.
Appreciate 7
      11-02-2022, 11:26 AM   #47
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rat_House View Post
This color would work really well with white wheels I bet.
Yeah, these wheels do the car no favors in general, especially not in all black. Whoever decided the launch wheel would be black and not bi-color should be demoted.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2022, 11:51 AM   #48
anitasanger
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
The amount of hate both about the color and the look is crazy. Color is extremely subjective. This color isn't for me, but it's not even as polarizing as brown or pink or something.

It also gets old to see 1M and F87 owners bash the car endlessly. I own an F87, but I try to stay objective. There are a lot of salty ass owners who are so biased it's ridiculous. This happens every time, but it seems even more vitriolic since the G8x has been released. The irony is half of these clowns will probably end up in a G87 and defend it rabidly from there forward.
Agreed, wholeheartedly! I can't imagine caring about what kind of car someone might like or not like. People need some hobbies, man.
Appreciate 1
      11-02-2022, 11:52 AM   #49
VR1
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Comp

This is supposed to look like a $70k car?
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2022, 12:07 PM   #50
T_U_D
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: G05 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by VR1 View Post
SMH, how does a $70k car look in comparison to one that is $20, $30, $40k less or more?
Appreciate 2
VR1638.00
      11-02-2022, 12:40 PM   #51
StickyPickle
Captain
Rep
Drives: NA

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by anitasanger View Post
Lots of fragile psyches around here. I've never seen people get their knickers in such a twist over a colour.

Preach!
Appreciate 1
      11-02-2022, 01:49 PM   #52
moodyhank82
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05 45e & G87 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by VR1 View Post
It is supposed to look like a $62k car. I'd say it has the best hips for anything short of a 911...

Last edited by moodyhank82; 11-05-2022 at 12:09 PM..
Appreciate 6
ronin130131000.50
T_U_D6687.00
02M3ForMe4264.50
Caerus531.50
JustChris17532.00
      11-02-2022, 02:22 PM   #53
bangerman15
Rep
Drives: No bmw yet

Quote:

It’s literally like the g8x m3/4 all over again. Like when people were super critical about the looks, it was pretty easy to get one or an allocation as well. It was just previous gen owners being salty yet now everyone wants one lol. Seems like the same all over but with f87 owners. I had one of those as well and am getting the new m2. Both had things I liked/disliked exterior and interior wise, but I’m not going to hate on the F87 just because I’m getting the newest one.

People that salty or hateful to other models of the same brand is peak mopar owner energy
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2022, 02:35 PM   #54
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmboone25 View Post
I am getting used to the front - it's not nearly as good looking or aggressive as the F87 in my opinion, but I can appreciate what they were going for, and it looks pretty good at certain angles / depths.

The back just doesn't work in my opinion...too many contrasting angles and an "unfinished" look, which the performance parts somehow make even worse.

Just my $.02...
I'm at a weird stage with the design. I don't hate it, but I don't love it either. These are the issues I have with both the front and rear bumpers. I know this is all subjective, but I believe many share the same view on most of my gripes with the design.
Attached Images

Appreciate 8
M3WC3645.00
atl_1M1520.00
VR1638.00
Poochie9104.50
dmboone254972.00
      11-02-2022, 02:50 PM   #55
atl_1M
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 1M, '20 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmboone25 View Post
I am getting used to the front - it's not nearly as good looking or aggressive as the F87 in my opinion, but I can appreciate what they were going for, and it looks pretty good at certain angles / depths.

The back just doesn't work in my opinion...too many contrasting angles and an "unfinished" look, which the performance parts somehow make even worse.

Just my $.02...
I'm at a weird stage with the design. I don't hate it, but I don't love it either. These are the issues I have with both the front and rear bumpers. I know this is all subjective, but I believe many share the same view on most of my gripes with the design.
You captured my thoughts well also. It'll be a matter of the performance and overall stance overcoming these flaws. But at this point, I'm leaning towards holding off either for the LCI or the G80 LCI with the hopes they actually do a proper refresh given the longer production cycle.
Appreciate 1
Tag18347.50
      11-02-2022, 02:53 PM   #56
anitasanger
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Oddly enough, the previous gen m2's soft, rounded-off design language never spoke to me. It didn't look bad by any means, but kind of vanilla and non-descript. I think the g87 will appeal to people who like bold designs, and/or an avant garde type presence. The unrefined, fistfight on wheels nature fits this car.
Appreciate 8
Vaticous134.00
Caerus531.50
CFO277.00
      11-02-2022, 02:54 PM   #57
T_U_D
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
It is far from perfect, but truthfully what BMW design has been since the arrival of the E65/66? Very few as they all have had design flaws. Whether it be exterior or interior.

Anyone listen to Spike’s Car Radio? If so go listen to what Jerry Seinfeld, Spike Feresten, and Paul Zuckerberg had to say on the most recent episode called ‘Jerry Seinfeld’ and skip to 48:48.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2022, 02:57 PM   #58
heroicpeak
Registered
Rep
Drives: m240i

Hey guys and gals! Just want to clear up the color discrepency specifically with the comparison between the video filmed in the same location, and the photos. The video was filmed on a seperate day where it actually was very sunny. Theres glass panneling that allows sunlight in located directly above the vehicle. The photos were taken on a day with a large amount of overcast. The color does behave quite differently depending on lighting. Best bet would be for people to see the color in person in multiple different lighting environments. In sunlight, its flatter. In overcast, its much deeper. Not insanely deep, but never the less deeper than it is in sunlight. I did see some creative BMW released of the G87 on a race track in Germany, and it looks much differently then the video filmed. Color grading on phones/cameras are much different as well, so thats a factor as well.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2022, 03:01 PM   #59
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_U_D View Post
It is far from perfect, but truthfully what BMW design has been since the arrival of the E65/66? Very few as they all have had design flaws. Whether it be exterior or interior.

Anyone listen to Spike’s Car Radio? If so go listen to what Jerry Seinfeld, Spike Feresten, and Paul Zuckerberg had to say on the most recent episode called ‘Jerry Seinfeld’ and skip to 48:48.
I have been fortunate enough to have had an E46 which was my most favorite design. I also had a E92 and currently have a F32 as a daily. They all look great and although none are perfect, they have far fewer things about them that bother me. The gripes I have with the G87 are easy to address on the LCI if they choose to. It's just the plastic front and rear bumpers I have issues with and not any sheet metal. If it was just refined a bit, it would look killer. Either way my plan for a while now has been to get the LCI, but if they do nothing with the design of the car, I may move onto something else. A lot can change in two years and something else may pop up that gets my attention. Time will tell.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2022, 03:01 PM   #60
T_U_D
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by heroicpeak View Post
Hey guys and gals! Just want to clear up the color discrepency specifically with the comparison between the video filmed in the same location, and the photos. The video was filmed on a seperate day where it actually was very sunny. Theres glass panneling that allows sunlight in located directly above the vehicle. The photos were taken on a day with a large amount of overcast. The color does behave quite differently depending on lighting. Best bet would be for people to see the color in person in multiple different lighting environments. In sunlight, its flatter. In overcast, its much deeper. Not insanely deep, but never the less deeper than it is in sunlight. I did see some creative BMW released of the G87 on a race track in Germany, and it looks much differently then the video filmed. Color grading on phones/cameras are much different as well, so thats a factor as well.

FYI, full direct sunlight photos via a DSLR. Photo credit goes to Caerus https://g42.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...58&postcount=1

Last edited by T_U_D; 11-02-2022 at 03:13 PM..
Appreciate 1
Caerus531.50
      11-02-2022, 03:09 PM   #61
T_U_D
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I have been fortunate enough to have had an E46 which was my most favorite design. I also had a E92 and currently have a F32 as a daily. They all look great and although none are perfect, they have far fewer things about them that bother me. The gripes I have with the G87 are easy to address on the LCI if they choose to. It's just the plastic front and rear bumpers I have issues with and not any sheet metal. If it was just refined a bit, it would look killer. Either way my plan for a while now has been to get the LCI, but if they do nothing with the design of the car, I may move onto something else. A lot can change in two years and something else may pop up that gets my attention. Time will tell.

You best go ahead and get in line for a LCI. I learned of a center yesterday that has already taken two deposits for the LCI G87.
Appreciate 1
      11-02-2022, 03:38 PM   #62
Albator_IIII
Retired Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 335i 6MT Custom

Quote:
You best go ahead and get in line for a LCI. I learned of a center yesterday that has already taken two deposits for the LCI G87.
Waiting for the LCI is tempting but I just worry they would something stupid and axe the MT. I haven't seen anything suggesting that they would, but I just don't trust them. I will not sacrifice that.

2023 G87 ///M2 (production began Jul 4th 2023)
2008 E90 335i | Silver Grey | Terra | Piano Black | 6MT | ZSP | ZKO | ZAT | ZKI | ZPL | ZKL |
Appreciate 1
T_U_D6687.00
      11-02-2022, 03:48 PM   #63
T_U_D
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albator_IIII View Post
Waiting for the LCI is tempting but I just worry they would something stupid and axe the MT. I haven't seen anything suggesting that they would, but I just don't trust them. I will not sacrifice that.
The loss of the manual transmission at the arrival of the LCI is highly probable. One should definitely take into account of what was disclosed during the BMW BLOG interview. It has been mentioned previously, but let’s reiterate what was said beginning at 1:54.

Appreciate 1
      11-02-2022, 03:53 PM   #64
Albator_IIII
Retired Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 335i 6MT Custom

Quote:
The loss of the manual transmission at the arrival of the LCI is highly probable. One should definitely take into account of what was disclosed during the BMW BLOG interview. It has been mentioned previously, but let’s reiterate what was said beginning at 1:54.
Glad I am not crazy, thx.

2023 G87 ///M2 (production began Jul 4th 2023)
2008 E90 335i | Silver Grey | Terra | Piano Black | 6MT | ZSP | ZKO | ZAT | ZKI | ZPL | ZKL |
Appreciate 1
T_U_D6687.00
      11-02-2022, 03:55 PM   #65
T_U_D
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albator_IIII View Post
Glad I am not crazy, thx.
The writing is on the wall for the manual transmission at BMW. It would be foolish to think otherwise.

Edit, It also would appear to be a fair warning to those that are waiting for a manual LCI. It just might not materialize.

Last edited by T_U_D; 11-02-2022 at 04:18 PM..
Appreciate 1
      11-02-2022, 04:39 PM   #66
canadianbimmerlover
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 1M, Z4 M, M2C, M3C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Game View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianbimmerlover View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest View Post
The M-color doorcards is my favourite bit about the design of the M2 (genuinely). Sadly, thats not the good thing. But I want to see it in person to tell if this is as ugly of a car as it looks in pics. Till then, still reserving my judgement.

Especially these closeups are useless as they are all taken with wide lens, which is nothing like human eye perceives things.
Especially since every time I walk up to my 2021 long beach blue M2C I think what a beautiful colour on a beautifully proportioned BMW. I can't say I feel that way about either the new M2 or the zandvoort blue.
Have you walked up to a G87?
Ha ha fair comment.
Appreciate 0