BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BMW 2 Series Forums (G42) G42 2-Series General Topics

12-04-2021, 08:59 PM   #23
dr_frankfurter
non-essential
Rep
Drives: '21 330i

I expected more of an actual review of the G42 from Throttle House, bummer. Sure, the previous 2er had a surprisingly larger backseat area. It fit my 5'10 frame behind a 6'0 passenger comfortably, with headroom and knee room to spare. Is a smaller backseat going to stop anyone from buying a G42? Of course not. The "fake M" is quicker, grips better, turns better, can still drift with AWD, and all that with a better interior and more everyday comfort. Not sure why their review was so one-sided towards Thomas' own car.

Last edited by dr_frankfurter; 12-04-2021 at 09:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2021, 09:22 PM   #24
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

@25:49 James states:
Quote:
..I've got a bigger grin...going on in this car...and it's unquantifiable and it's bullsh*t really ...to be able to call a car 'better' cause of that but.....and blablabla

I think that's one of the (probably) main reasons what made Thomas choose the OG M2. And what made me choose an E46 M3/E90 M3 back in the days and later on the 1M, OG M2 and now M2 Comp (crank hub fix, brakes, 530BHP etc) instead of the more sensible bigger more luxurious non M BMW's .... I guess.

//Ms are about excitement, emotion, enthousiasm, connection to the car, the feel and still being rather practical as a 'daily' car ...it's all very very subjective just what James stated above...

'M lights' as Joe Achilles names them are obviously the more sensible choice. The better daily. But there must be something an //M has which a 'non M' doesn't have, and it isn't straight line speed and more power etcetera.

My worries are the even heavier weight..... and I really have to do my best to find the M240Xi a nice car to look at...sorry for that guys!

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 4
///M TOWN16422.50
BFLY78.50
      12-04-2021, 09:27 PM   #25
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.82]
Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren720s View Post
Willing to bet that the M240i is faster around the track too compared to the OG M2 which was never that impressive performance wise anyway.
OG M2 faster on the Nordschleife vs F82

Such a slug… 💨

stefan2354.00
      12-04-2021, 11:27 PM   #26
lixiang7349
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: customE50Tune

M2 is better looking by miles and miles and miles
Appreciate 14
///M TOWN16422.50
6speed_M23633.50
Robin_NL8717.00
WickedNy225.00
Kingpin4386.50
ChrisK4449.00
eldogo274.00
EXE462100.00
Davil6523.00
AESZ4187.50
HotRodM4685.50
gphung193.50
      12-04-2021, 11:44 PM   #27
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoei View Post
I don't get what they're asshurt about. This is the new platform (M240). If they were real car nuts and not some badge / M-whore, they should be excited for what the next iteration of the M2 will bring, not grasp at straws that the M240 is "jittery." I'm genuinely confused - did they think bmw was going to pump out "slower" cars for the next gen?
What will it bring? Air cooled seats? A smoother transmission? Faster 0-60? Might as well get a Tesla.
Appreciate 1
M2COMP497.50
      12-05-2021, 12:31 AM   #28
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobHen View Post
Give me a break.

The "non" M2 destroyed the M2 to 60mph. I mean it wasn't even close. And it also bested the M2 by a good margin in the roll. And the M2 owner then says the M2 puts a smile on his face – well he wasn't smiling after those two races was he? He even says, "come on BMW why are you making non-M cars with that much power!" You'll notice the M240i driver is smiling ear-to-ear. Did the weight matter in those races? Embarrassing is right.

I test-drove an M240i on suburban Philadelphia roads (which are never the best here in the northeast) with the suspension in comfort and everything else in sport and it was fine. I thought the ride quality was as good or better than my 330i with a fixed suspension and it never felt the least bit "jittery". The term "jittery" never once entered my mind. As a matter of fact, it felt pretty darn good. The M240i was surprisingly easy to drive: power of course, brakes good and easy to modulate, steering sharp and tight and ride quality sporty as expected but fine over suburban roads and the seats are very comfortable. Bring that fixed suspension M2 down here on these roads and we'll see just how "jittery" that car is. No other reviewer has mentioned a jittery ride.

And no one is buying an M240i with the expectation of putting 2 adults in the back and driving long distances, any more than they would with a Mustang GT; kid-less adults or families with multiple cars are the demographic.

To me, the review (or more rightly the "comparison") sounded like they were looking for things that made the M2 the better choice, maybe because one of the reviewers just bought one. If it just comes down to the M2 having more backseat room and less weight, I'll stick with the M240i all day long.

All IMO of course – just like their "review".

Bob
He put his own fucking money on the old m2, what else could he possibly do to convince others that he actually prefers the m2 to the latest m240 xdrive? It's no shock to anyone the xdrive beats a rwd MT car to 60 especially in cold weather. It probably beats the MT m3 to 60 in that same weather too.
Appreciate 11
6speed_M23633.50
yanks1484.00
Jockey3449.50
Spider.75.50
Davil6523.00
Drj161594.50
pz6193278.50
Hankdoll135.50
gphung193.50
      12-05-2021, 12:50 AM   #29
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.82]
Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
Quote:
Give me a break.

The "non" M2 destroyed the M2 to 60mph. I mean it wasn't even close. And it also bested the M2 by a good margin in the roll. And the M2 owner then says the M2 puts a smile on his face – well he wasn't smiling after those two races was he? He even says, "come on BMW why are you making non-M cars with that much power!" You'll notice the M240i driver is smiling ear-to-ear. Did the weight matter in those races? Embarrassing is right.

I test-drove an M240i on suburban Philadelphia roads (which are never the best here in the northeast) with the suspension in comfort and everything else in sport and it was fine. I thought the ride quality was as good or better than my 330i with a fixed suspension and it never felt the least bit "jittery". The term "jittery" never once entered my mind. As a matter of fact, it felt pretty darn good. The M240i was surprisingly easy to drive: power of course, brakes good and easy to modulate, steering sharp and tight and ride quality sporty as expected but fine over suburban roads and the seats are very comfortable. Bring that fixed suspension M2 down here on these roads and we'll see just how "jittery" that car is. No other reviewer has mentioned a jittery ride.

And no one is buying an M240i with the expectation of putting 2 adults in the back and driving long distances, any more than they would with a Mustang GT; kid-less adults or families with multiple cars are the demographic.

To me, the review (or more rightly the "comparison") sounded like they were looking for things that made the M2 the better choice, maybe because one of the reviewers just bought one. If it just comes down to the M2 having more backseat room and less weight, I'll stick with the M240i all day long.

Bob
He put his own fucking money on the old m2, what else could he possibly do to convince others that he actually prefers the m2 to the latest m240 xdrive? It's no shock to anyone the xdrive beats a rwd MT car to 60 especially in cold weather. It probably beats the MT m3 to 60 in that same weather too.

Truth‼️
      12-05-2021, 03:12 AM   #30
6speed_M2
Captain
Rep
Drives: ///M2

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnRacer View Post
Glad they're making a big deal out of the rear seats. The car is a lot heavier and chunkier than the previous 2 but ends up without useable rear seats? What? Why?

Yes, it's a driver focused coupe and not a family car, but people in their 20s-30's will want to be able to have their mates in the back, that was like the old one's party trick. Nobody will want to ride there now.
Back seats are nice to throw groceries in and gym bags. No one will spend quality seat time there and quite honestly I wouldn't want anyone back there anyways.
Appreciate 1
J-RO2095.00
      12-05-2021, 03:14 AM   #31
6speed_M2
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by lixiang7349 View Post
M2 is better looking by miles and miles and miles
In fairness I don't compare non M cars to M cars. For example, 135i to the M2. Or 240i to M2. You gotta compare the M cars to the M cars.

As far as the 2 series (non M) is concerned, I think it's the best looking. M2 has the looks in the bag
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2021, 03:25 AM   #32
6speed_M2
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
Quote:
Give me a break.

Bob
M240i is a nice car but it's not what purists want in a "track" car. I'm sure it's a better daily and more competent in many ways. Comparing 0-60's is irrelevant because xdrive cars will win by miles. As far as the rolling race, the B58 is a monster of an engine. I'm not shocked either. A comp M2 would've been the better rolling race since the power levels would be identical.

He bought the M2 because he wants a car to drive on the track. 0-60 and launches don't matter once you're rolling. Having less weight and better suspension is more important. Plus I'm sure people love drifting the M2 and I believe the M240i is still a great car to track. It shouldn't be off by much but the extra power and LSD it has helps.

As far as engines are concerned, it gets tricky. I think the B58 is a much more ideal track engine than the N55. It's a closed deck block with air to water cooling. It'll have less heat soak and more long term reliability and track reliability.

OG M2 wins in looks, suspension, lap times (assumption), less weight (400lbs), brakes?, option for manual transmission/RWD for drifts

M240i xdrive wins in comfort, engine (reliability and power), launching, tuning potential, luxury, and 8 speed ZF (I prefer to the DCT). To me it seems like the perfect sized car as well. I'd prefer the extra bulk for the daily driving.

Two great cars that are made for two different reasons. They both win in their respective areas
Appreciate 9
ASAP10159.00
SN1P3211.50
jmg18703.50
EXE462100.00
      12-05-2021, 03:28 AM   #33
6speed_M2
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M TOWN View Post
Quote:
Willing to bet that the M240i is faster around the track too compared to the OG M2 which was never that impressive performance wise anyway.
OG M2 faster on the Nordschleife vs G82

Such a slug… 💨

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/b...me-166701.html

7:30 for the RWD M4

https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1183789

7:58 for OG M2
Appreciate 1
///M TOWN16422.50
      12-05-2021, 03:33 AM   #34
6speed_M2
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_frankfurter View Post
I expected more of an actual review of the G42 from Throttle House, bummer. Sure, the previous 2er had a surprisingly larger backseat area. It fit my 5'10 frame behind a 6'0 passenger comfortably, with headroom and knee room to spare. Is a smaller backseat going to stop anyone from buying a G42? Of course not. The "fake M" is quicker, grips better, turns better, can still drift with AWD, and all that with a better interior and more everyday comfort. Not sure why their review was so one-sided towards Thomas' own car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnRacer View Post
Glad they're making a big deal out of the rear seats. The car is a lot heavier and chunkier than the previous 2 but ends up without useable rear seats? What? Why?

Yes, it's a driver focused coupe and not a family car, but people in their 20s-30's will want to be able to have their mates in the back, that was like the old one's party trick. Nobody will want to ride there now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricochet48 View Post
Can someone confirm the rear seat difference? Everything I've read is that it's essentially the same.

Maybe that's just leg room and not head room? Regardless it cannot be worse than my RSX. I would just want the rear as an absolute emergency option for short distances for small people.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stylinexpat View Post
That new M240i X-Drive really is good from what I have seen. The two small back seats makes this a coupe version of the 2+2 cars back from the 70's and 80's which I really like. The small seats in the back were not really meant for use but allow for more driver room up front like in the 911's versus the Boxsters and Caymans. The same from the older Toyota Supra and Nissan 280 and 300ZX which allowed front seats to be reclined back to where one can take a nap if they needed to on a road trip instead of just sitting straight upright like in the new Supra,new Z and the Boxtsers and Cayman Porsches. I wonder what MPH it traps at the 1/4 mile though..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesing4a2 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricochet48 View Post
Can someone confirm the rear seat difference? Everything I've read is that it's essentially the same.

Maybe that's just leg room and not head room? Regardless it cannot be worse than my RSX. I would just want the rear as an absolute emergency option for short distances for small people.
My experience sitting in the rear seat of the G42 mirrors what James had to say. I felt like I was in the back seat of a Mustang; at only 5'10", I had to angle my head to otherwise sit up straight and not be touching the headliner. I too was disappointed in that aspect of the car; form dominated over, and did not follow, that aspect of function.

Leg room seemed similar enough.
I can't seem to understand why rear seat room is the topic of conversation…

If you want rear seat more, get a four door? Why bother with a coupe? If you plan on having people over 5'6 in the back or want ease of access to get in the rear seats at least. Get the 3,5 or 7.

Also, the car is heavier for at least 150-200lbs because of the front diff. Minus that and it's around 3600lbs to the 3450lbs of the OG

For reference the M2 comp in DCT weights 3650lbs. I'm not sure if this model had a sunroof so…

A car magazine did a graphic back in the day explaining where the weight gains came from for the OG vs Comp debate. The exhaust and brakes added up 63lbs, heat exchangers 12lbs, other items for about 45lbs.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2021, 03:39 AM   #35
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

M240iX about 1750kgs/3850lbs....

My Comp is about 3560lbs blue brakes, manual seats. EU spec.

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 1
///M TOWN16422.50
      12-05-2021, 03:40 AM   #36
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.82]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6speed_M2 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M TOWN View Post
Quote:
OG M2 faster on the Nordschleife vs G82

Such a slug… 💨

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/b...me-166701.html

7:30 for the RWD M4

https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1183789

7:58 for OG M2
I clearly have the track wrong

Or it was the short track

OG does well still

Attached Images

12-05-2021, 03:43 AM   #37
pbw
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: bmw 240i xdrive g42

Garage List
A true comparison would have been 240i xdrive both old and new models. This is comparing apples to oranges. However, good to see the performance and handling of the 240i.
Appreciate 7
///M TOWN16422.50
VIERsr2621.50
PLF693766.00
Mavus2029.50
6speed_M23633.50
02M3ForMe4261.50
      12-05-2021, 03:51 AM   #38
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.82]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbw View Post
A true comparison would have been 240i xdrive both old and new models. This is comparing apples to oranges. However, good to see the performance and handling of the 240i.

Agreed

Having the original 2er w xDrive
      12-05-2021, 04:30 AM   #39
VIERsr
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbw View Post
Exactly.
The old M240i had really poor track performance with its tiny tires and no lsd. The new one is a huge improvement, basically as fast as the OG M2, not bad considering the worse power-to-weight ratio.

The next G87 M2 will destroy the old M2s, CS included.
Appreciate 3
pbw247.50
6speed_M23633.50
02M3ForMe4261.50
      12-05-2021, 06:03 AM   #40
BobHen
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 2022 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6speed_M2 View Post
M240i is a nice car but it's not what purists want in a "track" car. I'm sure it's a better daily and more competent in many ways. Comparing 0-60's is irrelevant because xdrive cars will win by miles. As far as the rolling race, the B58 is a monster of an engine. I'm not shocked either. A comp M2 would've been the better rolling race since the power levels would be identical.

He bought the M2 because he wants a car to drive on the track. 0-60 and launches don't matter once you're rolling. Having less weight and better suspension is more important. Plus I'm sure people love drifting the M2 and I believe the M240i is still a great car to track. It shouldn't be off by much but the extra power and LSD it has helps.

As far as engines are concerned, it gets tricky. I think the B58 is a much more ideal track engine than the N55. It's a closed deck block with air to water cooling. It'll have less heat soak and more long term reliability and track reliability.

OG M2 wins in looks, suspension, lap times (assumption), less weight (400lbs), brakes?, option for manual transmission/RWD for drifts

M240i xdrive wins in comfort, engine (reliability and power), launching, tuning potential, luxury, and 8 speed ZF (I prefer to the DCT). To me it seems like the perfect sized car as well. I'd prefer the extra bulk for the daily driving.

Two great cars that are made for two different reasons. They both win in their respective areas
Agreed.

The M240i is not a pure “track car”. Then why the heck review it like it was supposed to be a track car and then find fault because it isn’t a track car. That’s my problem with that “review”.

Why not put the M240i up against an Audi S5 or other like car.

There is going to be a new M2 coming that will probably be a monster.

My complaint is not with either car but with the review and the premises of the review and what appears to be reviewer and new M2 owner bias.

Bob
Appreciate 2
6speed_M23633.50
02M3ForMe4261.50
      12-05-2021, 06:03 AM   #41
maxdriver
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ‘23 GRolla; MDX S

I think what carried the day when it's all said and done was the transmission. Manuals are more engaging to drive, regardless of how wonderful the automatic transmission is.

If the M2 had the dual clutch, rather than the 6MT, we probably would have heard different commentary.
Appreciate 3
      12-05-2021, 06:34 AM   #42
pabrognara
Enlisted Member
Brazil
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2C 21/21

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxdriver View Post
If the M2 had the dual clutch, rather than the 6MT, we probably would have heard different commentary.
Agree. The same happened to that joe achiles vid comparing his mt m2c w zf8 m140i. The dct can really puts out the max of performance and speed in those m cars.

Btw the m2c would easely outperform new m240i, maybe just a little behind off the line as it is only rwd. Now the new m240i owners claiming the new one is better in everything than m2c is really stupidity!
      12-05-2021, 06:41 AM   #43
M2COMP
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5, 2013 550xi, M2C

I think 240 is an extremely potent car except that it has a very UGLY rear end. And I have seen in person as pictures sometimes don't do justice. To me it looks very ordinary, like any fast car on the road. I'll hope for a better looking and even more potent new M2.
Appreciate 1
P111572.00
      12-05-2021, 06:54 AM   #44
MrFoxy
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: F40 M135i. G42 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmase248 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFoxy View Post
Quote:
Give me a break.

Bob
Nicely put mate.

People just can't help themselves with negativity.
Agreed, and well stated. I knew the true M fans/owners would get their feelings hurt.

They've been waiting for the real pro YouTube car reviewers and the result isn't what they expected.

They'll really start crying if Doug DeMuro praises the the 240i and infers that it's remotely comparable to the M2.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmase248 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFoxy View Post
Quote:
Give me a break.

Bob
Nicely put mate.

People just can't help themselves with negativity.
Agreed, and well stated. I knew the true M fans/owners would get their feelings hurt.

They've been waiting for the real pro YouTube car reviewers and the result isn't what they expected.

They'll really start crying if Doug DeMuro praises the the 240i and infers that it's remotely comparable to the M2.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoei View Post
I don't get what they're asshurt about. This is the new platform (M240). If they were real car nuts and not some badge / M-whore, they should be excited for what the next iteration of the M2 will bring, not grasp at straws that the M240 is "jittery." I'm genuinely confused - did they think bmw was going to pump out "slower" cars for the next gen?
Quote:
That's the lump in there throat's right there, the "light" M car will turn the M2 inside out. 85% of the M car fanboys don't have the skill to drive there cars to the full potential but they'll think they will. The average Joe in the M2 will bin the car long before the average M240i driver all day long.
As for space in the back, lol who the f🤷🏼*♂️🤷🏼*♂️k buys a car with consideration for your mates/bro's headroom/ comfort!! Lol. Get in the back or walk.

People taking there precious time out there day to slate a car they don't like or have no desire to buy or drive on a G42 forum is beyond me tbh. Change is happening.
Appreciate 4
jmase248301.50
G42Bama402.50
02M3ForMe4261.50