12-05-2021, 07:24 AM   #45
Matt 335is
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: SMB 50e | e92 n54

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobHen View Post
Give me a break.

The “non” M2 destroyed the M2 to 60mph. I mean it wasn’t even close. And it also bested the M2 by a good margin in the roll. And the M2 owner then says the M2 puts a smile on his face – well he wasn’t smiling after those two races was he? He even says, “come on BMW why are you making non-M cars with that much power!” You’ll notice the M240i driver is smiling ear-to-ear. Did the weight matter in those races? Embarrassing is right.

I test-drove an M240i on suburban Philadelphia roads (which are never the best here in the northeast) with the suspension in comfort and everything else in sport and it was fine. I thought the ride quality was as good or better than my 330i with a fixed suspension and it never felt the least bit “jittery”. The term “jittery” never once entered my mind. As a matter of fact, it felt pretty darn good. The M240i was surprisingly easy to drive: power of course, brakes good and easy to modulate, steering sharp and tight and ride quality sporty as expected but fine over suburban roads and the seats are very comfortable. Bring that fixed suspension M2 down here on these roads and we’ll see just how “jittery” that car is. No other reviewer has mentioned a jittery ride.

And no one is buying an M240i with the expectation of putting 2 adults in the back and driving long distances, any more than they would with a Mustang GT; kid-less adults or families with multiple cars are the demographic.

To me, the review (or more rightly the “comparison”) sounded like they were looking for things that made the M2 the better choice, maybe because one of the reviewers just bought one. If it just comes down to the M2 having more backseat room and less weight, I’ll stick with the M240i all day long.

All IMO of course – just like their “review”.

Bob
Well said.
Appreciate 1
MrFoxy376.50
      12-05-2021, 08:08 AM   #46
reward72
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6speed_M2 View Post
I can't seem to understand why rear seat room is the topic of conversation…

If you want rear seat more, get a four door? Why bother with a coupe?
It is the main reason I chose my F22 over less practical alternatives like the Cayman, TT or Supra (if it had been available at the time). I rarely ever need it, but I sometimes do. Not having a usable back seat would prevent me from using the car for some of my best road trips of the year.

If the G42 back seats are not usable, I might as well go a for a two seater. I would have a hard time saying no to a Supra with a MT if they ever make one.
Appreciate 2
mecheng771006.00
akkando5864.50
      12-05-2021, 08:16 AM   #47
mfarrzhp
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Competition

Garage List
I can't believe Thomas didn't spend an extra $10K and get an M2C. It would have been much closer from a dig and would beat the M240i from a roll.

I guess you can make the argument that the OG is lighter, sounds better and is cheaper so he use the money saved to mod it to his liking. It really is fast enough on the track even for above average drivers.

The M240i is a great car in its own right and it's a little bit apples and oranges to compare. I need to see it in person, especially from the back. It makes the 4 series pointless in my opinion. Get the 2 if you want a 2 door and get the 3 if you want a 4 door. I agree the rear headroom is not a big deal. I only put my kids back there and never for more than a 20-30 minute drive. The next M2 should be amazing.
Appreciate 3
MrFoxy376.50
EXE462100.00
      12-05-2021, 08:20 AM   #48
skier219
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i, M2C, Ferrari 328

I think a lot of people are taking this review too seriously. These guys love to kid around with tongue in cheek humor. Almost every video they do involves each guy picking a car and then they tease each other about which one is best. Very much a Top Gear / Grand Tour plot line. Doesn't matter which two cars or who picks what, it's going to be like that. If they switched cars from the beginning it would have been the same plot line, just different characters.

Thomas, the M2 owner, is a very talented track driver. They get to test all sorts of cars, many far more expensive and exotic than the M2. They have enough money to buy anything they want. For him to pick an OG M2 to buy for himself shows a deep level of thought and very specific taste. It goes to the fact that the M2 is a very pure, engaging, analog driver's car (believed by many to be one of the last great "analog" M cars). Very different than the new M240i. You pick them for different reasons.

My family has owned, and currently owns, several B58/ZF8/X-drive "M Lite" vehicles and it's a great powertrain. I also own a 2020 M2 Comp 6-speed. There are worlds of difference between the cars and powertrains. Different missions. True M cars have much bigger and more capable brakes, much tighter suspension tuning, and they ditch bushings and dampers throughout the driveline to remove slack and tighten things up. Some of this is detrimental to overall comfort practicality. It's a tradeoff people make. There should be no confusion here.

While I respect the B58/ZF8 powertrain it's not nearly as fun as the arrangement in my M2 Comp. I see the same division between the M240i and M2. Similar comparisons and arguments have been made comparing the Supra and M2 over the years, and it's the same old song. If you want manual transmission, analog feel, and classic M car behavior, there is only one choice.

If anything, this review has me more excited for the next generation M2. It's going to have to be fantastic. Besides bringing M characteristics in brakes, suspension, driveline, it has a high bar to exceed in the powertrain department to be better than the M240i. Bringing a 6-speed manual and analog feel will be important to keeping with a true M2 heritage. I hope they don't blow it.
Appreciate 3
      12-05-2021, 08:22 AM   #49
MadBimmeRad
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M235i, 420i, and now the M2 CS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIERsr View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbw View Post
A true comparison would have been 240i xdrive both old and new models. This is comparing apples to oranges. However, good to see the performance and handling of the 240i.
Exactly.
The old M240i had really poor track performance with its tiny tires and no lsd. The new one is a huge improvement, basically as fast as the OG M2, not bad considering the worse power-to-weight ratio.
[IMG]
View post on imgur.com
[/IMG]
The next G87 M2 will destroy the old M2s, CS included.

I heard a story about British Prime Minster Winston Churchill which goes like this:

Bessie Braddock MP: "Winston, you are drunk, and what's more you are disgustingly drunk."

WSC: "Bessie, my dear, you are ugly, and what's more, you are disgustingly ugly. But tomorrow
I shall be sober and you will still be disgustingly ugly."

Me thinks old Winston had it right there

Merlin, my M2 CS, is the king of the hill with to-die-for looks, which no G87 could ever come close to, no matter how much more powerful or agile

Looking at these, Merlin wins hands down (for me anyway)
Attached Images

eldogo274.00
RideM317.00
Jockey3448.00
cncmastr1587.00
mfarrzhp1491.00
      12-05-2021, 09:31 AM   #50
Cortexiphan
Major
Rep
Drives: 24' BMW iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by lixiang7349 View Post
M2 is better looking by miles and miles and miles
To me, this M2 looks like it's stuck in 1995. Like someone wearing a loose suit.
21’ G20 ///M340i

24' i20 iX xDrive50
Appreciate 1
MrFoxy376.50
      12-05-2021, 09:40 AM   #51
CDN-Driver
Enthusiast
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2023 Porsche 718 Cayman

Way too much disruption over a YouTube video maybe 🤔 Just a thought.
EXE462100.00
P111572.00
      12-05-2021, 09:54 AM   #52
Mavus
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 335i, F80 zcp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_NL View Post
@25:49 James states:
Quote:
..I've got a bigger grin...going on in this car...and it's unquantifiable and it's bullsh*t really ...to be able to call a car 'better' cause of that but.....and blablabla

I think that's one of the (probably) main reasons what made Thomas choose the OG M2. And what made me choose an E46 M3/E90 M3 back in the days and later on the 1M, OG M2 and now M2 Comp (crank hub fix, brakes, 530BHP etc) instead of the more sensible bigger more luxurious non M BMW's .... I guess.

//Ms are about excitement, emotion, enthousiasm, connection to the car, the feel and still being rather practical as a 'daily' car ...it's all very very subjective just what James stated above...

'M lights' as Joe Achilles names them are obviously the more sensible choice. The better daily. But there must be something an //M has which a 'non M' doesn't have, and it isn't straight line speed and more power etcetera.

My worries are the even heavier weight..... and I really have to do my best to find the M240Xi a nice car to look at...sorry for that guys!

Cheers
Robin
M cars have higher grip level as well as other motorsport h/w. No non M model can fit the max rubber of the M car. I'm sure you know this but maybe other folks that debate M vs non-M do not know.

General comment for others:
Whoever is comparing M car to non-M models please take each one on the track and drive 10-20 laps. Then you can discuss performance.

I can tell you one thing - nobody wants 3900lbs on track period. If you don't know why it's related to physics and chemistry.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2021, 10:00 AM   #53
10"
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: orange BMW 1M.

Quote:
Give me a break.

The "non" M2 destroyed the M2 to 60mph. I mean it wasn't even close. And it also bested the M2 by a good margin in the roll. And the M2 owner then says the M2 puts a smile on his face – well he wasn't smiling after those two races was he? He even says, "come on BMW why are you making non-M cars with that much power!" You'll notice the M240i driver is smiling ear-to-ear. Did the weight matter in those races? Embarrassing is right.

I test-drove an M240i on suburban Philadelphia roads (which are never the best here in the northeast) with the suspension in comfort and everything else in sport and it was fine. I thought the ride quality was as good or better than my 330i with a fixed suspension and it never felt the least bit "jittery". The term "jittery" never once entered my mind. As a matter of fact, it felt pretty darn good. The M240i was surprisingly easy to drive: power of course, brakes good and easy to modulate, steering sharp and tight and ride quality sporty as expected but fine over suburban roads and the seats are very comfortable. Bring that fixed suspension M2 down here on these roads and we'll see just how "jittery" that car is. No other reviewer has mentioned a jittery ride.

And no one is buying an M240i with the expectation of putting 2 adults in the back and driving long distances, any more than they would with a Mustang GT; kid-less adults or families with multiple cars are the demographic.

To me, the review (or more rightly the "comparison") sounded like they were looking for things that made the M2 the better choice, maybe because one of the reviewers just bought one. If it just comes down to the M2 having more backseat room and less weight, I'll stick with the M240i all day long.

All IMO of course – just like their "review".

Bob
Anyone who has traditionally driven an M car knows that straight line speed from 0-60 is one of the LEAST important reasons to love driving M cars. You don't seem to understand that. It is *a* reason but not the reason in any way.

Until there is an new generation M2 with a manual gearbox—I am not really impressed with any of the "stats". This M240i is not a valid comparison to the M2.
      12-05-2021, 10:05 AM   #54
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDN-AWD View Post
Way too much disruption over a YouTube video maybe 🤔 Just a thought.
Word!

I can't take anyone here seriously anymore, the M240i is just fine, yet some folks are doing mental gymnastics, just to hash up any abstract fault they could unearth.

BMW = Bitch, Moan & Whine 😒
Appreciate 5
      12-05-2021, 10:07 AM   #55
VIERsr
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadBimmeRad View Post
I heard a story about British Prime Minster Winston Churchill which goes like this:

Bessie Braddock MP: "Winston, you are drunk, and what's more you are disgustingly drunk."

WSC: "Bessie, my dear, you are ugly, and what's more, you are disgustingly ugly. But tomorrow
I shall be sober and you will still be disgustingly ugly."

Me thinks old Winston had it right there

Merlin, my M2 CS, is the king of the hill with to-die-for looks, which no G87 could ever come close to, no matter how much more powerful or agile

Looking at these, Merlin wins hands down (for me anyway)
Aesthetic tastes are totally subjective, performance is not.
Since we don't have any official photos of the new G87 we don't have much to talk about in terms of design.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavus View Post
M cars have higher grip level as well as other motorsport h/w. No non M model can fit the max rubber of the M car. I'm sure you know this but maybe other folks that debate M vs non-M do not know.

Whoever is comparing M car to non-M models please take each one on the track and drive 10-20 laps. Then you can discuss performance.

I can tell you one thing - nobody wants 3900lbs on track period. If you don't know why it's related to physics and chemistry.
To do 10-20 laps on the track with a stock car you need something like a GT3, STO or better, not a Bmw. Anyway, in terms of cooling the B58 is way better than the N55.

Last edited by VIERsr; 12-05-2021 at 10:14 AM..
Appreciate 1
EXE462100.00
      12-05-2021, 10:20 AM   #56
Eddien123
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335 6MT

Quote:
Give me a break.

The "non" M2 destroyed the M2 to 60mph. I mean it wasn't even close. And it also bested the M2 by a good margin in the roll. And the M2 owner then says the M2 puts a smile on his face – well he wasn't smiling after those two races was he? He even says, "come on BMW why are you making non-M cars with that much power!" You'll notice the M240i driver is smiling ear-to-ear. Did the weight matter in those races? Embarrassing is right.

I test-drove an M240i on suburban Philadelphia roads (which are never the best here in the northeast) with the suspension in comfort and everything else in sport and it was fine. I thought the ride quality was as good or better than my 330i with a fixed suspension and it never felt the least bit "jittery". The term "jittery" never once entered my mind. As a matter of fact, it felt pretty darn good. The M240i was surprisingly easy to drive: power of course, brakes good and easy to modulate, steering sharp and tight and ride quality sporty as expected but fine over suburban roads and the seats are very comfortable. Bring that fixed suspension M2 down here on these roads and we'll see just how "jittery" that car is. No other reviewer has mentioned a jittery ride.

To me, the review (or more rightly the "comparison") sounded like they were looking for things that made the M2 the better choice, maybe because one of the reviewers just bought one. If it just comes down to the M2 having more backseat room and less weight, I'll stick with the M240i all day long.

All IMO of course – just like their "review".

Bob
If you're buying a car to drag race a bmw isn't the right option anyway. So yeah in a corner the M2 is going to be the more enjoyable vehicle. Combine that with its very clearly superior looks and a manual… M240 is just a copy paste of every other bmw and car on the road today. Bland and tasteless
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2021, 10:32 AM   #57
lixiang7349
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: customE50Tune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortexiphan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by lixiang7349 View Post
M2 is better looking by miles and miles and miles
To me, this M2 looks like it's stuck in 1995. Like someone wearing a loose suit.
Yup. a better looking, lighter weight and more nimble loose suit.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2021, 10:34 AM   #58
lixiang7349
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: customE50Tune

BMW is sending a clear signal to us and the signal is "go buy Porsches or our used cars"
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2021, 10:40 AM   #59
Lightngsvt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 G20 M340i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Word!

I can't take anyone here seriously anymore, the M240i is just fine, yet some folks are doing mental gymnastics, just to hash up any abstract fault they could unearth.

BMW = Bitch, Moan & Whine ��
LOL!

I've wondered for a while why a lot of people seem to come to this forum just to bash the M240? Is it as bad on the other forums? The M240 subjectively is a very good car. The M240 is not an M-car. Whether or not it looks better worse than the F-generation cars is a purely individual opinion. Lighten up and have fun people!
Appreciate 1
      12-05-2021, 10:50 AM   #60
M2Cmtl
Major
Rep
Drives: 21 Q7 & 22 4XE

If you really care about 0-60 times, just get a Tesla or what not.
      12-05-2021, 10:52 AM   #61
VIERsr
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightngsvt View Post
LOL!

I've wondered for a while why a lot of people seem to come to this forum just to bash the M240? Is it as bad on the other forums? The M240 subjectively is a very good car. The M240 is not an M-car. Whether or not it looks better worse than the F-generation cars is a purely individual opinion. Lighten up and have fun people!
Nothing new, the same happened with the G8x that disturbed the peace of mind of F8x owners, now we are seeing the same movie we have already seen.
I really can't understand why owners of older models are often so upset when the new model comes out
Appreciate 2
      12-05-2021, 11:02 AM   #62
mecheng77
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i / 2014 M235i

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Rear seat room is important because this is what makes this a practical sports car unlike a cayman which is a one trick pony.

I'm confused with the review, the new 240i I thought is longer in length, is the backspace tighter? That would be a
Serious drawback for me.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2021, 11:04 AM   #63
Em240eye
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: G42 M240i, Gen 2 Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2Cmtl View Post
If you really care about 0-60 times, just get a Tesla or what not.
I understand why you think this having seen your M2 thrashed, but I’m not sure anybody chooses their car on one element alone, you’ve over simplified the options
Appreciate 2
      12-05-2021, 11:04 AM   #64
Ricochet48
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 RSX-S

I had to leave a few BMW facebook groups after the ridiculous whining comparing the G42 to the OG. Many on there think tracking is the only purpose for cars and the M2 is the best on Earth (they got really upset when I said I would get a sports car instead, like the Zupra, Z, Porsche, Louts, etc.).

I also said for $50K that the M240i has more creature comforts and wins in a straight line (how people drive most of the time), literally facts. I was then informed that the M240i is like a Camry and the OG M2 is a Ferrari F40, lel. Fake enthusiasts have no concept that people use cars differently.

I actually plan to track the 2, but realize that will only be for couple hours a year... so if it's 30% worse than the M2 on it, so be it. Like most, my driving will be majority city & highway cruising, with maybe a quarter of the time that I can push it a bit (twisty roads, on-ramps, etc.). Based on my math, the G42 would be 30% better for this ratio. You would have to spend a LOT of time on the track for the M2 to come out ahead (in my scenario, it's 6% better when you are spending only 1/3 of the time in the city or cruising):

Overall, even if you give the G42 half the styling points of the M2, in my book it comes out on top, but BARELY at 73/100 pts. Some put more value on the rarity / coolness factor though (I only put 5 points) or don't care about snow/mpg/tech, etc. though. Once again, this is my personal assessment for a year-round car in a snowy city that'll only see the track once a year, if that:

Appreciate 2
      12-05-2021, 11:05 AM   #65
MrFoxy
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: F40 M135i. G42 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavus View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_NL View Post
@25:49 James states:
Quote:
..I've got a bigger grin...going on in this car...and it's unquantifiable and it's bullsh*t really ...to be able to call a car 'better' cause of that but.....and blablabla

I think that's one of the (probably) main reasons what made Thomas choose the OG M2. And what made me choose an E46 M3/E90 M3 back in the days and later on the 1M, OG M2 and now M2 Comp (crank hub fix, brakes, 530BHP etc) instead of the more sensible bigger more luxurious non M BMW's .... I guess.

//Ms are about excitement, emotion, enthousiasm, connection to the car, the feel and still being rather practical as a 'daily' car ...it's all very very subjective just what James stated above...

'M lights' as Joe Achilles names them are obviously the more sensible choice. The better daily. But there must be something an //M has which a 'non M' doesn't have, and it isn't straight line speed and more power etcetera.

My worries are the even heavier weight..... and I really have to do my best to find the M240Xi a nice car to look at...sorry for that guys!

Cheers
Robin

Your comment is the problem right there mate. Track…track…track 🤷🏼*♂️ any clown can drive fast in a straight line! Or on a track when you know there is no oncoming traffic, this car is not aimed at racing drivers!! Pretty sure there's plenty of grip for the M "light" going forward in the real world.
Appreciate 1
Poochie9104.50
      12-05-2021, 11:18 AM   #66
swc5150
Private
Rep
Drives: Panamera Turbo

They'll test M2 to M2 once the new one is actually available. There are also nerds like me who ARE interested in how the new 240 stacks up against the once previous top model.

I also wanted to want to buy a '21 M2C. After a solid test drive, I immediately realized the benefits of it (track set up) were not must haves for me. The look of it though almost had me breaking out the checkbook. I'm glad I passed though, as G42 now has the looks (to me), and more than enough punch for my purposes.

Last edited by swc5150; 12-05-2021 at 11:30 AM..
Appreciate 2
MrFoxy376.50
02M3ForMe4261.50