BMW 2 Series Forums (G42) G42 2-Series General Topics

12-05-2021, 04:41 PM   #89
Em240eye
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: G42 M240i, Gen 2 Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightngsvt View Post
So, if the new M240 had just been named the 240 would there have been as much uproar?
They’d have to remove their precious mirrors too.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2021, 04:58 PM   #90
MadBimmeRad
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M235i, 420i, and now the M2 CS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortexiphan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by lixiang7349 View Post
M2 is better looking by miles and miles and miles
To me, this M2 looks like it's stuck in 1995. Like someone wearing a loose suit.
According to your name, you're from another universe, so what would you know?

Just kidding, couldn't help myself
      12-05-2021, 05:15 PM   #91
6speed_M2
Captain
Rep
Drives: ///M2

Garage List
Quote:
So, if the new M240 had just been named the 240 would there have been as much uproar?
It's marketing genius. The majority of people don't know the difference. They think it's a "M" car. It's close to one but no cigar.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2021, 05:19 PM   #92
6speed_M2
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Em240eye View Post
Quote:
They'd have to remove their precious mirrors too.
This is one of two things I find confusing about this car… who signed off on this!? Lol.

My OG M2 doesn't have M mirrors but the M240 does??? It's odd.

Also, why would they give this car the xdrive but according to early signs from other forum members, the M2 isn't going to have the xdrive option. I hope they're wrong but that makes no sense to me. How much longer will they hold back the M2 to keep it from being the best M car available? It's pretty much identical to the M3/4 at this point.

That's one feature I'm looking forward to most (xdrive).
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2021, 07:14 PM   #93
TrentMeister
Colonel
Rep
Drives: g82 comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M TOWN View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren720s View Post
Willing to bet that the M240i is faster around the track too compared to the OG M2 which was never that impressive performance wise anyway.
OG M2 faster on the Nordschleife vs G82

Such a slug… 💨

F87cs did like 7:42

Rwd g82c did 7:30
Appreciate 2
///M TOWN16523.00
heavyD^23688.50
      12-05-2021, 07:21 PM   #94
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.82]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentMeister View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M TOWN View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren720s View Post
Willing to bet that the M240i is faster around the track too compared to the OG M2 which was never that impressive performance wise anyway.
OG M2 faster on the Nordschleife vs G82

Such a slug… 💨

F87cs did like 7:42

Rwd g82c did 7:30
I typed G instead of F

Still damn good

My bad
      12-05-2021, 08:23 PM   #95
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAKE! View Post
Both are good cars - it’s a win-win is how I look at it. One has redeeming features the other one doesn’t have, vice versa. It’s okay to pick the one you want, you don’t have to turn every single thing into a **** measuring contest
Of course you do otherwise who would create these videos to entertain us!

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2021, 08:24 PM   #96
sikotic
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340I

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6speed_M2 View Post
It's marketing genius. The majority of people don't know the difference. They think it's a "M" car. It's close to one but no cigar.
According to BMW they are an "M" car now, so I think thats where most of the confusion is coming from. They are completely separated from the standard models, and are listed under BMW M in the Build Your Own category. As BMW updates, I think people will need to update their terminology as well.
Appreciate 1
///M TOWN16523.00
      12-05-2021, 08:32 PM   #97
6speed_M2
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sikotic View Post
Quote:
According to BMW they are an "M" car now, so I think thats where most of the confusion is coming from. They are completely separated from the standard models, and are listed under BMW M in the Build Your Own category. As BMW updates, I think people will need to update their terminology as well.
If BMW M makes the car, then it's got some M car sprinkles in it. If BMW makes the car, no. Other than where it's built it's all on which division produces the car from the development stages.

I know the new M2 will be built in Mexico (as I've heard) so there are exceptions in terms of WHO builds the car but not who creates the car on an engineering/testing level
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2021, 09:14 PM   #98
sikotic
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
If BMW M makes the car, then it's got some M car sprinkles in it. If BMW makes the car, no. Other than where it's built it's all on which division produces the car from the development stages.

I know the new M2 will be built in Mexico (as I've heard) so there are exceptions in terms of WHO builds the car but not who creates the car on an engineering/testing level
I agree. BMWUSA website for the M340i it states "Enhanced performance and design, engineered by BMW M." so it's clear that they are classifying these cars differently than ever before and separating them from the 330's etc..

It's just toxic when I've seen members getting bullied by others saying "let me guess, you call your car an Mxxxi" when thats exactly what they are called by BMW. No reason to discourage people from enjoying their cars
Appreciate 5
      12-05-2021, 09:16 PM   #99
sikotic
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RideM View Post
Why would someone buy a low tech, slow car with no arms rests?
Wow it looks soooooo good... That wheel and color combo is incredible
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2021, 10:08 PM   #100
Roulis
Rep
Drives: Z4 E89

It all comes down to Covid, if the chip shortage was not a thing James' LCI would be below $40K and then we would all admit that for the money the F87 is unbeatable.

Now that 5-year old cars are sold for their MSRP we came up with the "lightness and purity" arguments to justify the purchase. Once the G87 is out we are all gonna praise the new beast (which is gonna a be heavy too but we wont care)
Appreciate 1
      12-05-2021, 10:24 PM   #101
Denver Coutu
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 G42 M240i, 1997 E36 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanks1 View Post
M2 should be better, the M240 is not a true blood M Car, but damn close.

That said, the M240xi is damn quick off the line... X drive really helps. And regarding weight vs the future RWD M240 I think may only be 150 lbs. Not a big deal when 99% of us will never race a M240. I like the stability and broad shoulders, looks aggressive & great tire & wheel choices

Like these guys, they are entertaining and have fun!!
The OG M2 is not a "true blood M car' either lmfao
Appreciate 1
MrFoxy376.50
      12-05-2021, 10:30 PM   #102
________
________
Rep
Drives: ________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denver Coutu View Post
Quote:

That said, the M240xi is damn quick off the line... X drive really helps. And regarding weight vs the future RWD M240 I think may only be 150 lbs. Not a big deal when 99% of us will never race a M240. I like the stability and broad shoulders, looks aggressive & great tire & wheel choices

Here we go again…..
Appreciate 1
MrFoxy376.50
      12-05-2021, 10:36 PM   #103
6speed_M2
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sikotic View Post
Quote:

I agree. BMWUSA website for the M340i it states "Enhanced performance and design, engineered by BMW M." so it's clear that they are classifying these cars differently than ever before and separating them from the 330's etc..

It's just toxic when I've seen members getting bullied by others saying "let me guess, you call your car an Mxxxi" when thats exactly what they are called by BMW. No reason to discourage people from enjoying their cars
That's the key word in your quote. "Engineered", not inspired. If that's what they say then maybe it is built by them?

I'm all for people enjoying what they bought with their hard earned money, but it's not an M car. An M car is the M letter with a single number after it.

M2/3/4/5/8

That's not to take away from the greatness that the M240i xdrive has by any means. It's just to say there's levels to it.

The M340i xdrive being as cool as it is, is still levels below a M3 xdrive. I would still drive a M340i any day out the week but if money wasn't an option I'd get the bigger brother.

There's a reason it's more expensive. You get more engine, power, suspension, interior, exterior, brakes, etc.
Appreciate 1
ai38868.50
      12-05-2021, 10:40 PM   #104
tahoebimmer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i xDrive

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by reward72 View Post
Quote:
I can't seem to understand why rear seat room is the topic of conversation…

If you want rear seat more, get a four door? Why bother with a coupe?
It is the main reason I chose my F22 over less practical alternatives like the Cayman, TT or Supra (if it had been available at the time). I rarely ever need it, but I sometimes do. Not having a usable back seat would prevent me from using the car for some of my best road trips of the year.

If the G42 back seats are not usable, I might as well go a for a two seater. I would have a hard time saying no to a Supra with a MT if they ever make one.
I believe it's still practical, but for different height groups. It does have climate control and usb-c chargers in the back for the first time in a 1 or 2 series coupe.

Instead of being ideal for passengers that are 5'8 to 6'0, it's for those that are 5'4 to 5'7. I would choose this car over the others you listed.
My dog is about 3' tall so I think he will be happy back there. The important thing for us was how the seat auto-slides forward to allow him to jump in easily.

My wife is 5'3" so if she's mad at me she can choose to ride back there to make giving me the silent treatment easier
Appreciate 1
6speed_M23633.50
      12-05-2021, 10:41 PM   #105
6speed_M2
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denver Coutu View Post
Quote:

I would respectfully disagree. M cars aren't about engines. Every gen M car has a different engine. It's not like Chevy was with their 6.2 liter motor being in every car.

M is about a bulky and aggressive exterior, suspension & brakes. I believe they made the 1M and M2 with the N54/55 engines for sales purposes. They must've thought if they had the S65 & S55, the market for the 3/4 would crash but the comp M2 showed us otherwise. People still love the bigger cars.

In the case of the M2 comp you really have no argument at all so it's a 50/50 shot at best

Still, I'd take the N55 as a track engine over the all gen engines of M3 pre 2015 so I guess neither of those slow cars are M cars either
Appreciate 2
///M TOWN16523.00
ai38868.50
      12-05-2021, 11:14 PM   #106
Scurvee
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobHen View Post
Give me a break.

The “non” M2 destroyed the M2 to 60mph. I mean it wasn’t even close. And it also bested the M2 by a good margin in the roll. And the M2 owner then says the M2 puts a smile on his face – well he wasn’t smiling after those two races was he? He even says, “come on BMW why are you making non-M cars with that much power!” You’ll notice the M240i driver is smiling ear-to-ear. Did the weight matter in those races? Embarrassing is right.

I test-drove an M240i on suburban Philadelphia roads (which are never the best here in the northeast) with the suspension in comfort and everything else in sport and it was fine. I thought the ride quality was as good or better than my 330i with a fixed suspension and it never felt the least bit “jittery”. The term “jittery” never once entered my mind. As a matter of fact, it felt pretty darn good. The M240i was surprisingly easy to drive: power of course, brakes good and easy to modulate, steering sharp and tight and ride quality sporty as expected but fine over suburban roads and the seats are very comfortable. Bring that fixed suspension M2 down here on these roads and we’ll see just how “jittery” that car is. No other reviewer has mentioned a jittery ride.

And no one is buying an M240i with the expectation of putting 2 adults in the back and driving long distances, any more than they would with a Mustang GT; kid-less adults or families with multiple cars are the demographic.

To me, the review (or more rightly the “comparison”) sounded like they were looking for things that made the M2 the better choice, maybe because one of the reviewers just bought one. If it just comes down to the M2 having more backseat room and less weight, I’ll stick with the M240i all day long.

All IMO of course – just like their “review”.

Bob
You sound awfully angry and toxic for someone who chose to forget to mention the most important aspect to any vehicle performance, tire compound. I’m a fan of all BMW’s but I have to completely dismiss this video besides the exterior/interior design opinions.
M2 is on Michelin pilot super sport star spec tires which glass up at 45F. This video was recorded at -1C/30F. I cannot see what tires are on the M240i, but knowing BMW they put season specific tires on their press cars. I would bet they are running all seasons or winter tires. If the M240 is on summer’s as well it is just another reason to dismiss the results.
Needless to say it is just physics from there; the M2 power to weight ratio is better and the star-spec super sports hook up hard in anything down to about 50F in my experience. So I would honestly bet money that if they ran these exact cars again at anything above 50F the M2 would still surprise a lot of people. I’ve also experienced manual M2’s launching harder than DCT variants because an experienced driver can easily slip the clutch to create a smoother launch than launch-control produces.
I love throttle house regardless, these guys are a hoot and make some good , light-hearted videos. Buy whatever you want and enjoy, but physics are physics.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2021, 11:18 PM   #107
kumizi206
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 22 m240i

M2 is a better enthusiast car and m240i Xdrive is a better daily for most people.

Having faster acceleration doesnt make a car the better sports car. Look at 911 turbo vs GT3.
Appreciate 3
      12-05-2021, 11:24 PM   #108
shoei
Banned
Rep
Drives: MW Vespa w/pink racing stripes

Quote:
Quote:
Yep. I have a neighbor who's constantly telling everyone about his M7. It's not even a M760, it just has M-Performance pieces on it. I don't have the heart to correct him he's not a car guy after all. To which your point, would be spot on.
Appreciate 2
6speed_M23633.50
ai38868.50
      12-06-2021, 12:40 AM   #109
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Em240eye View Post
Quote:
They'd have to remove their precious mirrors too.
why would they give this car the xdrive
Because that's what moves units in the US..

BMW M235i is Faster On Track Than 1M Coupe (Our 2 Series Interview From Detroit) https://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=935130
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-06-2021, 12:46 AM   #110
Giom
Private
Rep
Drives: renault fluance

I guess the reason there is so much less space at the back is because the entire green house is smaller. For once, at BMW, form doesn't follow function, it seems.
Appreciate 0