Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240x, 2007 Honda VFR

weird cruise control?

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Dunno if this is "normal" for modern cruise control operation but:
On my m240 driving with cruise on say 60 mph, approach a 45mph posted corner and travel thru corner with cruise on....and the following happens, about midcorner when a bit of side loading happens, the cruise drops speed, 4-6 mph and then almost immediately just past apex, still in corner it will re-engage and abruptly accelerate back to cruise speed. Tried in in both sport and normal mode. First time it happened was unnerving. Only occurs if the speed is above the "normal" for the corner and it's not really aggressive cornering at all but it (cruise) seems to react to side loading and shuts cruise off a bit, then reengages. My previous vehicle never did this with cruise. Wondering if this is kinda "normal" for some vehicles?

Note: some folks may say what the heck you doin with the cruise on in a corner....well a road with 5-10 miles of straight and then one or two 45mph corners.....too lazy to turn off cruise and i shouldn't have to. Is this a BMW quirk or?
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2022, 08:58 PM   #2
beamer-dreamer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240i, Volvo V60 XC

that's the dynamic cruise control.. it lowers speed through corners.. i think i saw a video on it.. or some bmw blog post
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2022, 09:20 PM   #3
Retrospaz85
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 22' M240/67 Mustang Fastback

Read your manual..
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2022, 12:17 AM   #4
danallxt
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrospaz85 View Post
Read your manual..
thank you for the helpful post, you added so much more valuable information to what beamer-dreamer already posted.

Actually i did read most of the 360 page manual. I see i missed a couple of sentences on page 203, i thought that was applying to ACC which i do not have.... I've just never had cruise act that way before.
Anyway Retrospaz sorry for asking a question.

Last edited by danallxt; 02-18-2022 at 12:19 AM.. Reason: correction
Appreciate 3
      02-18-2022, 09:53 AM   #5
yanks1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 Mustang GT Vert 5-speed

only use cruise on highways... jeez
Appreciate 1
jpcoop364.00
      02-19-2022, 10:20 AM   #6
danallxt
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
only use cruise on highways... jeez
it was a highway, not a jeep trail.
Ya forgot to add "never exceed the posted speed limit".

Actually part of my question was not answered and could not be even if i meticulously read the manual.
Was wondering if this was the new normal or BMW specific or? My previous vehicle does not have corner cruise intervention nor does my friends (older) Honda. I was just curious if other makes of cars program cruise accordingly? Just curious. Also wonder it things like the BMW speed limit assist (which i promptly disabled, if i wanted speed limit assist I'd buy a used Yugo and disconnect half the plug wires) and this corner cruise intervention are a spin off of developing autonomous vehicles as both would be essential to such operation? Just wondering.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2022, 11:58 AM   #7
ryo-
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 MWM M240i

well this car has "dynamic cruise control" as standard so I would assume that it's not a standard cruise control you would get in a Honda, unless it was named similar.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2022, 12:53 PM   #8
danallxt
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryo- View Post
well this car has "dynamic cruise control" as standard so I would assume that it's not a standard cruise control you would get in a Honda, unless it was named similar.
I think you are kinda answering my question, ie it is kinda a BMW thing?
Anyway there is no term or mention of "dynamic cruise control" in the manual that i can find (did i miss it?), i see that term is used in the order guide as a standard equip thing, but is not used in the manual?
I was just wondering how common that manner of cruise control implementation is? no biggie.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2022, 02:23 PM   #9
aaron_k
Private
Rep
Drives: G42 M240i

Quote:
This car has Active Driving Assistant as standard(5AS).
Active Cruise Control(5DF) is the $750 option.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2022, 02:59 PM   #10
ryo-
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 MWM M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron_k View Post
This car has Active Driving Assistant as standard(5AS).
Active Cruise Control(5DF) is the $750 option.
544 Dynamic Cruise Control
5AS Active Driving Assistant

does the active driving assistant include the dynamic cruise control? I was just reading it off of the standard options in the ordering list so I am not sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danallxt View Post
I think you are kinda answering my question, ie it is kinda a BMW thing?
Anyway there is no term or mention of "dynamic cruise control" in the manual that i can find (did i miss it?), i see that term is used in the order guide as a standard equip thing, but is not used in the manual?
I was just wondering how common that manner of cruise control implementation is? no biggie.
I believe BMW just mentions it as regular cruise control in the manual as there is no other option. it might be a standard option in all of the new BMW's but I am not that experienced with BMW's. I also have never tried cruise control in corners either so I don't know if that is the norm.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2022, 03:44 PM   #11
aaron_k
Private
Rep
Drives: G42 M240i

Quote:
544 Dynamic Cruise Control
5AS Active Driving Assistant

does the active driving assistant include the dynamic cruise control? I was just reading it off of the standard options in the ordering list so I am not sure.

I believe BMW just mentions it as regular cruise control in the manual as there is no other option. it might be a standard option in all of the new BMW's but I am not that experienced with BMW's. I also have never tried cruise control in corners either so I don't know if that is the norm.
Yea their "Dynamic Cruise Control" is really just regular cruise control. I've seen a lot of people (including myself originally) confusing Dynamic Cruis Control, with Active Cruise Control, and Active Driving Assistant.
Appreciate 0