03-19-2024, 04:55 PM   #2751
MASHCT
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2 MG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tslbmw View Post
I’m with you - I broke down and added the no drill Sly Bracket. Just didn’t want to worry about it…and at some point I expect to be pulled over in this puppy and don’t want them adding even more to the ticket! 😉
You helped me decide on which of these front LP mounts I would get - thanks for the great pic!
2017 M2 | MGM | 6SPD Std | RWD | MP Exhaust | CSF FMIC | Active Autowerke DP w/ HF CAT | FTP Charge & Boost Pipes | Fortune Auto series 500 7k/14k coilovers | CDT Audio ES Gold Fronts & HD series Rear | Richland Forged Project Nurburg RF-GT4 Wheels | AudioControl LC-6.1200 | JL Audio TWK 88 | CF Goodies
Appreciate 1
Tslbmw73.50
      03-19-2024, 05:12 PM   #2752
Bumpinjeep
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2

Garage List
2023 M2  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MASHCT View Post
I'm diggin' the front end CF treatments. The double-slat duct insert is really nice. Looks good with the lip. Nice friggin wheels, too. The gold on black - sharp!
Thanks, I wanted to not go over the top, sort of my version of a GT3 Touring. Appreciate the kind words, I think it's coming together nicely.
MASHCT677.50
      03-19-2024, 05:46 PM   #2753
toprarnen
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: IS350

Has anyone seen any vertical-slat grilles like what adro makes for less than $1200? I like that look, but the cost is a bit high for something that small that's completely cosmetic. I'm not worried about whether or not it's carbon.

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2024, 08:09 PM   #2754
ScottyRyan2019
Licensed Professional Slacker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2 and 2023 Mazda CX-30

Garage List
  [10.00]
  [10.00]
2024 BMW M2  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMcLellan View Post
Well I gave in and decided to follow the rules here in MN and added a front license plate. I picked up the Sto n Sho quick release product and it's super easy to take it on and off. The plate does sit pretty low but I do like this look.

This removes the nervous feeling I get when a cop drives by. I'm sure ScottyRyan2019 will say I'm a wuss
I'd never say that lol. Ya gotta do what ya gotta do 👍
      03-19-2024, 10:29 PM   #2755
ScottyRyan2019
Licensed Professional Slacker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2 and 2023 Mazda CX-30

Garage List
  [10.00]
  [10.00]
2024 BMW M2  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.McNutty View Post
Not sure about Minnesota, but in CA a front plate is just a fix-it ticket. On the rare occasion that I get a ticket for it (twice in 13 years), I just throw the plate on a tow hook bracket, have a cop sign off the ticket, then pull the plate right back off and go on my way. I'd have to get tickets for the front plate very often for me to even consider leaving it on the car. Just my $0.02.
It is not a moving violation here and from what I know does not need to be signed off on either. Ran the last three vehicles of ours over the past 4 years w/o a front plate and no issue... knock on veneer.
      03-19-2024, 10:37 PM   #2756
JABCAT
Professor
Rep
Drives: '23 M2 & '22 X3 M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by abrandonment View Post
I go out of my way to keep my cars registered in Florida, no front plates.
TX resident since 2007, no front plates on any of my 4 vehicles. If one isn't driving like an idiot & drawing attention to themselves, the likelihood of being pulled over is miniscule.
Appreciate 1
      03-19-2024, 11:01 PM   #2757
xtougher
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 G87 M2 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JABCAT View Post
TX resident since 2007, no front plates on any of my 3 previous vehicles. If one isn't driving like an idiot & drawing attention to themselves, the likelihood of being pulled over is miniscule.
In Texas all my life.

For some reason, I got pulled over in an Acura TSX 7 times in a span of 5 months, all within about 3-4 miles from house at the time.

Part of the problem, was that I was told different things the first 3-4 times I got pulled over.

Each time, the license plate was the reason for pulling me over.

One officer said I had to have it visible from the front. So I put it on the windshield in the low corner on the passenger side.

Got pulled over and that officer said it actually has to be attached to the front of the car, aka the bumper.

I wasn't going to do that.

They all gave me warnings, but no tickets.

Except the last officer who pulled a tire screeching 180 just to pull me over and was NOT in a great mood. I was definitely getting a ticket that time...until he got called on his radio for an emergency and he essentially tossed me my license and insurance and said I was lucky.

In my other 2 vehicles prior to picking up the G87 last week, never got pulled over for plates. And never had them installed.

So whatever you want to make of that!

I was told they were using the license plate as an easy way to pull people over and then run plates and license for warrants, etc.
Appreciate 1
      03-19-2024, 11:37 PM   #2758
AZG87
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G87, 2018 Mustang GT traded in

Quote:
Originally Posted by abrandonment View Post
I go out of my way to keep my cars registered in Florida, no front plates.
Yep makes me happy AZ doesn't have silly front plate requirements. How annoying.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2024, 12:05 AM   #2759
Mr.McNutty
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E82 135i, G87 M2

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [10.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtougher View Post
In Texas all my life.

For some reason, I got pulled over in an Acura TSX 7 times in a span of 5 months, all within about 3-4 miles from house at the time.

Part of the problem, was that I was told different things the first 3-4 times I got pulled over.

One officer said I had to have it visible from the front. So I put it on the windshield in the low corner on the passenger side.

Got pulled over and that officer said it actually has to be attached to the front of the car, aka the bumper.

Except the last officer who pulled a tire screeching 180 just to pull me over and was NOT in a great mood. I was definitely getting a ticket that time...until he got called on his radio for an emergency and he essentially tossed me my license and insurance and said I was lucky.

In my other 2 vehicles prior to picking up the G87 last week, never got pulled over for plates. And never had them installed.

I was told they were using the license plate as an easy way to pull people over and then run plates and license for warrants, etc.
I have heard of them using the front plate as a reason to pull people over, but that's no concern of mine considering that I've already likely given them good reason at any given moment. The first front plate ticket I got was in lieu of a ticket for rolling a stop sign and the second was an afterthought after being pulled over going 100.

In any case, I imagine the risk of the plate being the reason for being pulled over (aside from your luck) is typically more acute for beat up cars that are more likely to have a driver with warrants, etc., as you mentioned.

Old username: OnesAndEyes
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2024, 12:20 AM   #2760
xtougher
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.McNutty View Post
I have heard of them using the front plate as a reason to pull people over, but that's no concern of mine considering that I've already likely given them good reason at any given moment. The first front plate ticket I got was in lieu of a ticket for rolling a stop sign and the second was an afterthought after being pulled over going 100.

In any case, I imagine the risk of the plate being the reason for being pulled over (aside from your luck) is typically more acute for beat up cars that are more likely to have a driver with warrants, etc., as you mentioned.
That's pretty funny. Your situation was essentially the opposite: pulled you over for something else, and then tacked on the license plate infraction.

Yeah, I actually had asked a few officers in the area that I knew, and they all agreed that it could be a tactic to check more (generally) suspicious vehicles. I just happened to be around an area where they were doing that a lot and I guess they didn't like the look of my car. haha

It was just a darkly tinted black sedan...no mods outside of tint...maybe there was a quota to hit or something. LOL
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2024, 06:59 AM   #2761
JABCAT
Professor
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtougher View Post
In Texas all my life.

1. It's interesting that you quoted me, but it only quoted accurately part of my comment. Forum quirk?

2. You mentioned above your vehicle was a black vehicle with tint. I'd throw that out as the cause of the repeated stops (depending on your area) and the front plate used as the "reason".

I've owned 20 vehicles in the in the 17 years I've lived in TX, none have had a front plate. I've been stopped a total of 3 times. 1 was for an expired inspection sticker (before your inspection and registration stickers had the same date).

1 time on I45 south of dallas on the last day of the month when there were literally 10 State Troopers with people pulled over on the side of the highway. Trooper came up from behind (never saw the front of my vehicle).
When he got out, he walked right past my window and up to the front of the vehicle. Comes over and says "I pulled you over for no front plate". Haha - no he didn't. He looked at me (white, 40 yr old male in an suv) and says "TX is a 2-state plate, have a good day. Hops back in his car, flips on his lights and whips out to "legally" pull someone else over.

The third time, local cop sat on the same corner every morning.
Saw him have someone stopped every morning at the same time, same location. I was in our Wrangler JKU that had an oem winch bumper & fog lights. Literally no place to put a plate (even if I wanted to). "I stopped you for no plate". Looks at the bumper, asks me if it's factory & I said it was. "Man there's no place to attach a plate on it", well it's supposed to be displayed just stick it in your window". Walks away.

I'm sure in certain areas they use the plate as an excuse for the stop. I assume I, nor my wife, fit a profile (or driving style) that induces them to stop our vehicles for no plate. YMMV
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2024, 05:05 PM   #2762
xtougher
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JABCAT View Post
1. It's interesting that you quoted me, but it only quoted accurately part of my comment. Forum quirk?

2. You mentioned above your vehicle was a black vehicle with tint. I'd throw that out as the cause of the repeated stops (depending on your area) and the front plate used as the "reason".

I've owned 20 vehicles in the in the 17 years I've lived in TX, none have had a front plate. I've been stopped a total of 3 times. 1 was for an expired inspection sticker (before your inspection and registration stickers had the same date).

1 time on I45 south of dallas on the last day of the month when there were literally 10 State Troopers with people pulled over on the side of the highway. Trooper came up from behind (never saw the front of my vehicle).
When he got out, he walked right past my window and up to the front of the vehicle. Comes over and says "I pulled you over for no front plate". Haha - no he didn't. He looked at me (white, 40 yr old male in an suv) and says "TX is a 2-state plate, have a good day. Hops back in his car, flips on his lights and whips out to "legally" pull someone else over.

The third time, local cop sat on the same corner every morning.
Saw him have someone stopped every morning at the same time, same location. I was in our Wrangler JKU that had an oem winch bumper & fog lights. Literally no place to put a plate (even if I wanted to). "I stopped you for no plate". Looks at the bumper, asks me if it's factory & I said it was. "Man there's no place to attach a plate on it", well it's supposed to be displayed just stick it in your window". Walks away.

I'm sure in certain areas they use the plate as an excuse for the stop. I assume I, nor my wife, fit a profile (or driving style) that induces them to stop our vehicles for no plate. YMMV
Yeah, I don't know what happened on the quote thing.

I wasn't actually trying to argue against what you wrote. I was just adding my data point that doesn't really explain my experience. Your post that I just quoted makes a lot more sense to me.

There was no real good reason for me to be pulled over since I wasn't driving a certain kind of way, car wasn't shady looking, didn't look like it had any changes or mods to make them think it had stolen parts, etc. Nothing I can explain.

And yet, got pulled over a lot in a short amount of time. Outlier for sure. And it's not like it has happened since. And it was like 10-12 years ago or so.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2024, 07:00 PM   #2763
JMcLellan
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2

Posting this here as well

I caught someone in the act of snapping pics of my car. Who's the creep now, creep?? Admittedly I don't hate this....
Attached Images

03-20-2024, 08:26 PM   #2764
JABCAT
Professor
Rep

Quote:
I caught someone in the act of snapping pics of my car. Who's the creep now, creep?? Admittedly I don't hate this....
I get that more of my Corvette than my M2, but I generally don't mind either. I did one time see a guy taking pics of my VIN on the Vette as well as the license plate, and close up pics of the decals on the car (it's a Carbon special edition). When I walked toward him, he quickly ran off. That was shady, but normal pics I don't mind.
Appreciate 1
JMcLellan2082.50
      03-20-2024, 08:55 PM   #2765
Bumpinjeep
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2

Garage List
2023 M2  [8.00]
Quote:
Lol I was on the freeway, looked left, guy had the phone out videoing my car. This thing gets a lot of attention.
JMcLellan2082.50
      03-21-2024, 01:37 PM   #2766
RootsTootsMagoots
Private
Rep
Drives: G87 M2

Ditto. I had a guy taking photos of my car while in McD's drive through. The same week, I a teenager in front of me held the phone out of his window and snapped pictures, giving me a thumbs up. I've had a few other incidents of people giving a wave or a yell.

For all the hate the car received about its looks online, it sure draws a lot of attention irl.
Appreciate 3
JMcLellan2082.50
aerobod3707.50
xtougher605.50
      03-21-2024, 03:16 PM   #2767
LeggoRacing
Private
Rep
Drives: M2

Sat and stared at it haha. Only had it a few days and am very much loving it
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2024, 04:27 PM   #2768
xtougher
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeggoRacing View Post
Sat and stared at it haha. Only had it a few days and am very much loving it
Nice! In the same area.

Couldn't tell from the photo if it was Alpine White or Brooklyn Grey.

I'm still under two weeks and a bit over 500 miles and loving it!
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2024, 05:02 PM   #2769
RemoWilliams84
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 ZB M2

Got her washed and detailed
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
Resoelg258.00
jas1651455.50
      03-21-2024, 06:42 PM   #2770
J-RO
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M240ix

Quote:
If that pathfinder is the creeps car you should not have blocked out his license plate.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2024, 11:53 PM   #2771
TT6mT
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F30 N55, WRX Hatch, G87 S55

Garage List
My first G87 post on this forum.
- wrapped rear reflectors
- interior uv protection
- protected bolsters with a seatbelt pad 😁
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
M2Jorge789.50
      03-21-2024, 11:55 PM   #2772
xtougher
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TT6mT View Post
My first G87 post on this forum.
- wrapped rear reflectors
- interior uv protection
- protected bolsters
Out of curiosity (forgive me if this is dumb): could you explain "protected bolsters"?

Thanks!

Last edited by xtougher; 03-21-2024 at 11:56 PM.. Reason: posted too early
Appreciate 0