E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > white smoke update

02-10-2022, 07:55 PM   #1
e92jl
Rep
Drives: bmw 335is

white smoke update

so awhile ago i took my secondaries off and i noticed the white smoke from the exhaust and when i would come to a stop it would smoke not while driving, which is usual after cutting them off. so from the info i got , i decided to get a upgraded pcv valve and catch can. so i drive the car now and it doesnt smoke as much now but is there a way to completely get rid of the smoke ? and also i dont think my turbos could be blown because they would smoke as you are accelerating right? any help tips welcome
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2022, 09:02 PM   #2
Bimmer_Bro
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 335xi LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92jl View Post
so awhile ago i took my secondaries off and i noticed the white smoke from the exhaust and when i would come to a stop it would smoke not while driving, which is usual after cutting them off. so from the info i got , i decided to get a upgraded pcv valve and catch can. so i drive the car now and it doesnt smoke as much now but is there a way to completely get rid of the smoke ? and also i dont think my turbos could be blown because they would smoke as you are accelerating right? any help tips welcome
Did you get a boost (high side) catch can or a vacuum (low side) cc?

Most oil is pulled through on deceleration and vacuum side catch cans work well.

Boost catch cans do nothing on these engines.
      02-11-2022, 11:09 AM   #3
iqraceworks
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Quote:
Your turbo seals are leaking.......accept it. Yes, they will smoke when you let off the gas and come to a stop, but not always leak when you accelerate. My stock turbos did the same thing after I removed my secondary cats. I tried a new VC, new PCV valve, new oem flapper valve, and even added a catch can.........and just like you, I still had the smoke.

Your turbo seals are leaking......replace the turbos, or live with the smoke. I lovey new RB TWO turbos.......awesome power, and no more smoke
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2022, 04:33 PM   #4
e92jl
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iqraceworks View Post
Quote:
Your turbo seals are leaking.......accept it. Yes, they will smoke when you let off the gas and come to a stop, but not always leak when you accelerate. My stock turbos did the same thing after I removed my secondary cats. I tried a new VC, new PCV valve, new oem flapper valve, and even added a catch can.........and just like you, I still had the smoke.

Your turbo seals are leaking......replace the turbos, or live with the smoke. I lovey new RB TWO turbos.......awesome power, and no more smoke
mann i dont want to accept the fact that my turbos seals are leaking 🤣🤣💀might just go single
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2022, 07:30 PM   #5
iqraceworks
Brigadier General
Rep

Get a set of RB TWO's....$2k, reliable, will make 550-600hp to the tires with an E40 mix...without PI or other fueling mods.

Single turbo is going to cost you $6k+..... probably more by the time you add port injection and everything else.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2022, 12:23 PM   #6
e92jl
Rep

Quote:
Get a set of RB TWO's....$2k, reliable, will make 550-600hp to the tires with an E40 mix...without PI or other fueling mods.

Single turbo is going to cost you $6k+..... probably more by the time you add port injection and everything else.
can you possibly send me a link for the which exact RB turbos i need , and is RB just a company that uses your turbos and just rebuild them?
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2022, 12:31 PM   #7
e92jl
Rep

Quote:

is it these by chance, should i go with TD04 ?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-12-2022, 12:57 PM   #8
iqraceworks
Brigadier General
Rep

It all depends on how much money you want to spend, and how much power you want to make. I would call Rob at RB Turbo and get some info from him...super nice guy, and he will be are to answer any questions you have.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2022, 02:08 PM   #9
Ozzie335i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

Any more than 550 or 600 on the street is outright dangerous.
Appreciate 1
Dave92N54532.00
      02-12-2022, 03:21 PM   #10
iqraceworks
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie335i View Post
Any more than 550 or 600 on the street is outright dangerous.
And...requires more fueling (port injection), and most likely a beefed up transmission.

550-ish is about the limit on the stock DI setup. And yes, it's overkill for the street....but man is it awesome to have that much power on tap when you want it 😁
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2022, 03:40 PM   #11
Saif2018
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Quote:
can you possibly send me a link for the which exact RB turbos i need , and is RB just a company that uses your turbos and just rebuild them?
They modify/build the turbos in house, brand new ones. Not sure if they offer rebuilding old ones, but your better off buying new ones from them.

Email rob.rbturbo@gmail.com

He will be able to advise you based on your power goals and modifications you are willing to spend money on.

I emailed Rob previously and he didn't try up selling me a more expensive Turbo over my requirement which OEM Billets are sufficient for.

I would say RB Two's should be more than enough for you. They hold boost all the way through to redline. (Rated for 475 to 525whp for efficiency) they can make significantly more power but if you stay within the efficiency range should last quite a while.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2022, 04:15 PM   #12
e92jl
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saif2018 View Post
Quote:
They modify/build the turbos in house, brand new ones. Not sure if they offer rebuilding old ones, but your better off buying new ones from them.

Email rob.rbturbo@gmail.com

He will be able to advise you based on your power goals and modifications you are willing to spend money on.

I emailed Rob previously and he didn't try up selling me a more expensive Turbo over my requirement which OEM Billets are sufficient for.

I would say RB Two's should be more than enough for you. They hold boost all the way through to redline. (Rated for 475 to 525whp for efficiency) they can make significantly more power but if you stay within the efficiency range should last quite a while.
okay thanks , my goal tbh is no more than 600 and no less than 540 tbh. would i need PI?
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2022, 04:51 PM   #13
Saif2018
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Quote:
okay thanks , my goal tbh is no more than 600 and no less than 540 tbh. would i need PI?
If you stay around 500hp you will probably not need it, closer to 600hp will probably need it.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2022, 08:24 AM   #14
iqraceworks
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Just for reference.......

I'm running RB TWO's on an E40 fuel fix, hitting around 26psi of boost. Rob said it should be making 550-575-ish HP. The HPFP pressures are starting to drop off towards the end of a pull....not dangerously low, but it definitely shows that the HPFP is maxed out and just can't flow any more fuel. So I'd say that's about all the power the motor is going to make without stepping up to a PI setup.

That being said.....even with PI, these RB TWO's are pretty much at their limits also. They are most efficient around 20psi according to Rob....so 26psi is pushing them a little. I'm sure with PI and straight e85 and 30+psi they could make 600+hp...but who knows how long they would last.

If you really want to make more than 600hp....you need bigger turbo(s) and also PI. It's a lot of money for an extra 25++ HP.....that's why I decided to quite right there. It's a reliable setup, and 550-575hp on the street in these cars is pretty nuts. 60hp in 2nd gear will light up the rear tires of you stab the gas hard....

Now of you don't have access to e85....you are pretty much limited to 500hp no matter what you do.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2022, 07:28 PM   #15
C4maro
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i

I see a tiny puff of smoke if rev half throttle parked(stick foot in car to rev then walk to back to look), though I have to actually get out and look at the tail pipe to see it.

Am I too paranoid or is that normal function for a small puff to come out, just comes out one pipe too.. about the size of a 1/2 a microwave... lol
Appreciate 0