F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Flex fuel vs 2 tune 93/e50
Extreme Powerhouse

04-20-2024, 02:56 PM   #1
Empire087
Private
Rep
Drives: 18 340xi 8at 15.5 CCSB 3500

Flex fuel vs 2 tune 93/e50

So, im getting ready to install my FI stage 2 hpfp, flowmax + v2.5, and a dorche flex fuel kit. Im sorta torn between going with two individual tunes, a 93 tune, and a e40/e50 tune(whichever will produce the best power imo). Or going full flex fuel. Ive been doing some reading, and it seems that a dedicated e40/50 tune is going to provide noteably better power. Is this the case? would be an easy no brainer for me to just run a e40 tune, as i already do this now. So nothing would really change. However, i like the idea of running a flex fuel setup so i can not have to be as precise in my fuel mixing, but i hate the idea of kneecapping myself. Im planning on going with odin tuned for a tuner, so ive got options. Thoughts/opinions?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2024, 07:35 PM   #2
sigterm2.0
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i

I have recently made a post about this exact same thing...

I just installed the BM3 FlexFuel kit and I'm running the BM3 MultiMap 2+ E30 tune right now (I will click up to the E50 tune after I upgrade my clutch)...

...but for me I felt a noticeable gain in power from running it. I was running same multimap tune but just disabling the FlexFuel and hard programming it to E30... I renabled it and found I was only running 19% (a gross overestimation of the E content of the filling station I was using) but even on that it ran waaaay better! And even better still now that I'm running E47...

I know that people say FlexFuel maps are "not as strong", but I don't really follow the logic in that. If your fuel meets the required octane parameters for the map, there shouldn't be adjustments... I.E., I am running a tank of E47 right now, with the E30 map, the FlexFuel code is not going to automatically downgrade my tune. I more than meet the requirements for how the map was tuned so any corrections that would be done would be by the DME safety features, not the FlexFuel code. It would be the exact same tune that was programmed (provided the tuners use the SAME E30 in both the stand-alone, non-FlexFuel tune, and the MultiMap FlexEnabled tune).

Now if I DIDN'T meet the requirements, then the code would dial back my tune... instead of the DME safety features pulling timing, closing throttle and lowering WGDC, hoping you still don't knock after these corrections... Why even risk that?

I don't know... seems like a no brainer to me.

...but tell me, am I not understanding how the FlexFuel code works? (Really, I'm asking... someone please correct me if I'm off base...)

Last edited by sigterm2.0; 04-20-2024 at 07:42 PM..
Appreciate 0