05-06-2022, 02:51 PM   #1
Brett_C_F30_G42
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M240i

Garage List
Louder Than I Thought

Took delivery of my new M240i xDrive and for some reason I expected it to be much quieter because of the new sound regulations. To be fair I'm coming from a 320i

The start-up in sport/sport+ (and in comfort too) has a growl. And when driving with the windows down in sport+, going over 3k rpm sounds amazing.

Very interesting. Also found out about the new Caring Car thing?? Whoever BMW hired to make that music is on some different stuff
Appreciate 3
      05-06-2022, 05:03 PM   #2
eddj
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett_C_F30_G42 View Post
Took delivery of my new M240i xDrive and for some reason I expected it to be much quieter because of the new sound regulations. To be fair I'm coming from a 320i

The start-up in sport/sport+ (and in comfort too) has a growl. And when driving with the windows down in sport+, going over 3k rpm sounds amazing.

Very interesting. Also found out about the new Caring Car thing?? Whoever BMW hired to make that music is on some different stuff

European version may be quieter since different and stricter emission regulations over there, as the added filters and the lesser 374 hp model than here.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2022, 05:16 PM   #3
akim89
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 m240i x-drive

Thanks for the write up. I was wondering if the "Engine sound" option makes a difference on the exhaust tone? (Not through the built-in speakers)
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2022, 07:39 PM   #4
applecst
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G42 M240i

Quote:

Can you start up the car in sport+?
      05-06-2022, 09:53 PM   #5
burkhacs
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i - TNM Shadowline

Quote:
Originally Posted by applecst View Post
I believe you can with bimmercode
Appreciate 1
      05-07-2022, 12:39 AM   #6
gp_solo2
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by applecst View Post
Quote:

You can but you have to press the sport button before pressing the start button. The neat thing is that it recall what mode you were in and put you back in the same mode (sport, sport+ or sport individual). Would be nice if it would automatically leave it to your last mode by default when you stop the car so you don't have to press sport button again on the next startup
Appreciate 1
yanks1484.00
      05-07-2022, 01:28 AM   #7
binarycars
B58 Enthusiast
Rep
Drives: 1999 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by akim89 View Post
Thanks for the write up. I was wondering if the "Engine sound" option makes a difference on the exhaust tone? (Not through the built-in speakers)
I actually did this comparison yesterday, makes a huge difference inside the cabin in terms of shift noise and burbles, outside of the car there is no difference. I will put the videos together soon and upload it to YouTube to show the lack of change externally. It seems this car has a vastly different "active sound" system than previous 330i and M340i cars.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2022, 02:32 AM   #8
Nicolas05
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW g42 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gp_solo2 View Post
You can but you have to press the sport button before pressing the start button. The neat thing is that it recall what mode you were in and put you back in the same mode (sport, sport+ or sport individual). Would be nice if it would automatically leave it to your last mode by default when you stop the car so you don't have to press sport button again on the next startup
With bimmercode you can code to always start in sport individual.
Or you can even code in, to always have your flaps open, and the most sporty sound, regardless wich mode you are in. So even in comfort your car sounds the same as sport+
Appreciate 1
gp_solo2190.50
      05-07-2022, 06:59 AM   #9
BobHen
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 2022 M240i

Quote:

You can change the engine sound settings.

1. Go to 'Car' menu.
2. Enter 'Settings'.
3. Pick 'General Settings'.
4. Scroll down to 'Engine Sound'.
5. Choose the preferred mode: reduced, balanced, sporty or depending on driving mode.

Makes a noticeable difference.

Bob
Appreciate 0