bimmerpost/
BMW M2 and 2-Series Coupe
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BMW M2 Forums 2023+ (G87) Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls

View Poll Results: How often do you change your oil?
3000 miles 5 13.16%
5000 miles 23 60.53%
7500 miles 5 13.16%
10k+ miles 5 13.16%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

02-13-2024, 07:12 AM   #23
RockCrusher
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2023 ZB M2 6-speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastfwd View Post
Thanks for the reply! Not sure if I'm still following the particulars of these additive packages, etc. but your insight may raise question if the factory oil fill is specifically formulated to best serve the engine through those first break-in miles vs whatever off the shelf oil you might purchase from BMW or otherwise. I imagine it's a guessing game if that formulation benefits the engine more than getting that metal out of the engine ASAP.

I may or may not do an early oil change. In the least this may be no more than a 3k mile change. I haven't yet even seen any instruction on how to tackle this DIY.

Don't laugh, but I was searching for the dipstick after I got my break-in service performed just to double check their work. Ford technicians apparently famously weren't filling the Coyote engines fully when the oil capacity increased to the 10 quarts it holds.

Another tale of how reading the owner's manual front to back is probably the best practice. I still haven't to be honest. I usually just keep it handy for reference. The M may deserve a little better effort.
The difference in magnesium and moly content in the factory fill oil vs. the factory recommended oil to use going forward suggests the factory fill oil is a "special" blend. Well, the extra moly can be obtained by adding some of this to the engine oil. SWEPCO 502 oil improver is one moly additive.

But the low magnesium content AFAIK the only be explanation I can think of is it is low because it was *not* in the oil to begin with.

The early oil change is not so much to remove metal but to remove the oil that has suffered some considerable degradation arising from the special conditions a new engine subjects the oil to.

About metal...The filter catches the metal particles. However, there is a concern that the high/over pressure valve in the oil filter could be forced open and unfiltered oil could be circulated through the engine. The thought of the oil in the filter housing/canister clearly laden with metal particles being allowed to circulate through the engine in the event the high pressure bypass valve opens gives me the shivers...

Funny you mentioned the Ford Coyote engine not being properly filled with oil. I ran into this same problem way back with my 1996 Mustang GT with the "new" 4.6l SOHC V8 engine. Its oil capacity was 6 quarts of oil. Almost every dealer service had the car returned to me with the level low. Another quart brought the level up to full. The techs were only refilling with 5 quarts when the engine required 6 quarts. That Mustang was my last Ford...

My SOP is to with a new vehicle at least read the break in section, the oil section, the tire section (for info in proper tire inflation pressures), and the servicing schedule.
Appreciate 0