bimmerpost/
BMW M2 and 2-Series Coupe
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BMW 2 Series Technical Topics (G42) Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior, Interior, Lighting)

10-28-2023, 03:04 PM   #1
Dinosoar
Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 230i M Sport

Garage List
2022 BMW 230i  [0.00]
G42 Bumper Removal/OE Lip Spoiler Install

I have been planning to pull my bumper cover on my 2022 230 M Sport (without lip spoiler) to one; install that $75 lip spoiler I've had for 18 months, and two; repair a curb scrape. Not gonna lie, wanted to also pull it to clean and inspect (glad I did!).

In this plan, I hit YouTube and alas, no one has post any video of pulling a cover off a G42. But the G20 videos were somewhat helpful. I will say, our G42 are a tad easier, IMO. Sorry, I ain't no YouTuber, so I did not document my day pulling and reinstalling. But, a few hand tools, a full day, and lots of patience and it'll come off, and go back on, just fine.

As far as my 230 brethren who did not get, and would want, the lip spoiler that's standard on the M240, optional on some 230 packages I think. It was super easy too. BMW has created subtle hole markings so you can drill 3/8" hole 11 times. You must pull the cover for this, and the two end holes can be drilled from that inner marking out. All others need to be drilled outside in, but the spoiler marks that for you once installed with those two ends. It was flawless and easy. I will post a pic of that marking. You'll need your own hardware. I used screws, 1" fender washers, and a nylon locking nut. All stainless with external being black stainless.

I also did an easy radar mounting delete...that is, I plugged the two mounting holes with the black hardware I had used to mount the spoiler.

On inspection, the factory did not clip in the passenger backing cover on that right side faux inlet duct in that bottom passenger side corner of the bumper cover. One of four tabs and slot were complete apart. I was able to wrestle it in, but again, only because I had the whole cover off. It was suspect fitment since new, now that mystery is solved, and problem rectified.

Dump a lot of small stones and dirt out too! So satisfying!

The pic showing the cover helps to see what comes off and what doesn't. Again, the G20 videos were helpful enough. I highly recommend pulling wheels off each side to really get to splash guards either out, or fully flex out of the way.
Attached Images

Last edited by Dinosoar; 10-28-2023 at 03:27 PM..
Appreciate 1
VegasG42373.50
      10-28-2023, 06:03 PM   #2
BG42
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M240ix

out of curiosity was there any connections in the radar spot, always wondered if the wire harness was there even if you didnt get the option. I came across this randomly on youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnBr...=JORDANRKTUNES

Last edited by BG42; 10-28-2023 at 06:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2023, 12:29 PM   #3
Dinosoar
Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW 230i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BG42 View Post
out of curiosity was there any connections in the radar spot, always wondered if the wire harness was there even if you didnt get the option. I came across this randomly on youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnBr...=JORDANRKTUNES
I don't have a radar sensor, so not sure. There are two wire connectors. One for the temperature sensor, one for ultrasonic sensors. Both are on the passenger side, just inside the fender. Removing the splash guard completely helped a lot here. Wasn't as necessary on the driver's side where there were not wire connections. My guess is the wire for the radar would go with the same harness and connect to the same connector I noted...but just a guess; the G20 removal I saw seem to jibe with that assumption.

Last edited by Dinosoar; 10-30-2023 at 06:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2023, 10:50 AM   #4
Ruebarb
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW G42 M240i

Bumper Removal attached
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Remove and install front bumper panel.pdf (1.32 MB, 122 views)
Appreciate 2
Dinosoar290.50
Sonic RR118.50
      11-06-2023, 02:44 PM   #5
Dinosoar
Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW 230i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruebarb View Post
Bumper Removal attached
This is why I stay tuned to these forums. Thank you!!
Appreciate 1
Ruebarb375.00
      02-17-2024, 04:22 PM   #6
Dinosoar
Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW 230i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BG42 View Post
I looked at this again, I did not read your question well...I certainly did not answer it. No, there are no harness leads there ready for the radar sensor...that is, on the bumper cover. There may be something under all that stuff you see on the bare front end though...that, I just don't know.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2024, 03:13 PM   #7
grooveK
Private
Rep
Drives: E39 530i, G42 m240i

Hey bud. Planning to switch out my cerium triangle inlets with the shadowline.
Maybe you'll know the answer since you took the bumper off, but would you think removing it is pretty simple as just pulling it out where the tabs are or is there a possibility it will be tricky to take out. Judging from my yet to be installed inlets, it looks simple but it probably isn't. Any thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinosoar View Post
I have been planning to pull my bumper cover on my 2022 230 M Sport (without lip spoiler) to one; install that $75 lip spoiler I've had for 18 months, and two; repair a curb scrape. Not gonna lie, wanted to also pull it to clean and inspect (glad I did!).

In this plan, I hit YouTube and alas, no one has post any video of pulling a cover off a G42. But the G20 videos were somewhat helpful. I will say, our G42 are a tad easier, IMO. Sorry, I ain't no YouTuber, so I did not document my day pulling and reinstalling. But, a few hand tools, a full day, and lots of patience and it'll come off, and go back on, just fine.

As far as my 230 brethren who did not get, and would want, the lip spoiler that's standard on the M240, optional on some 230 packages I think. It was super easy too. BMW has created subtle hole markings so you can drill 3/8" hole 11 times. You must pull the cover for this, and the two end holes can be drilled from that inner marking out. All others need to be drilled outside in, but the spoiler marks that for you once installed with those two ends. It was flawless and easy. I will post a pic of that marking. You'll need your own hardware. I used screws, 1" fender washers, and a nylon locking nut. All stainless with external being black stainless.

I also did an easy radar mounting delete...that is, I plugged the two mounting holes with the black hardware I had used to mount the spoiler.

On inspection, the factory did not clip in the passenger backing cover on that right side faux inlet duct in that bottom passenger side corner of the bumper cover. One of four tabs and slot were complete apart. I was able to wrestle it in, but again, only because I had the whole cover off. It was suspect fitment since new, now that mystery is solved, and problem rectified.

Dump a lot of small stones and dirt out too! So satisfying!

The pic showing the cover helps to see what comes off and what doesn't. Again, the G20 videos were helpful enough. I highly recommend pulling wheels off each side to really get to splash guards either out, or fully flex out of the way.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2024, 05:12 PM   #8
Dinosoar
Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW 230i  [0.00]
grooveK,

I didn't mess with those triangular inlets, but once you have the cover off, I think it'd be straight forward to pull them out. Mine had the back cover not snapped in on the passenger side, so I had to fuss with that to get it one, but was successful...that's all I messed with. If I understand your question, getting the cover off, and back on, is fairly easy (short of doing it by yourself). The key part is removing the bolts that connect it to the fenders, IMO. I think sliding it off is easy. I do not know about any radar sensor wires up front and center, though. My guess is they aren't there for the radar, but don't bank on that before you pop it off.
Appreciate 1
grooveK111.00