bimmerpost/
BMW M2 and 2-Series Coupe
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BMW 2 Series Technical Topics (G42) Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior, Interior, Lighting)

12-17-2023, 01:05 PM   #1
Jeenius
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i

Garage List
2022 Bmw M240i  [0.00]
Front Lip/Diffuser Coding

Hi guys, for those who installed the front lip/diffuser, did the installation require coding? The instruction for the m performance front lip mentions that it needs to be coded. Just not sure if it really is required...was planning to install it myself instead of taking it to the dealership. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2023, 02:25 PM   #2
Pentland
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i (G42)

it’s probably to adjust the parking sensor for the splitter projecting slightly further forward and being a little lower than standard.
I’ll bet most don’t get coding done and rely on the, scrape, crunch, oh f*ck sensor instead.
Appreciate 2
      12-19-2023, 10:22 AM   #3
ILikeBimmers
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: (G42) m240ix

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeenius View Post
Hi guys, for those who installed the front lip/diffuser, did the installation require coding? The instruction for the m performance front lip mentions that it needs to be coded. Just not sure if it really is required...was planning to install it myself instead of taking it to the dealership. Thanks!
Yeah there's coding, and it's a BMW requirement that you buy the front splitter set together with the M Performance Spoiler. Allegedly the coding and set requirement were for some stability concerns according to my dealer, but I'm pretty sure there are a few people running around with just the M Performance spoiler anyways without coding.

I had these parts applied when I received my car, so it kind of looks like it changes the parking 3D view with extra black splitter looking things around the front and rear of the car, but I'm not sure if this is a default outline.

If some one could post the top down view of their car in the parking 3D camera mode we might be able to confirm if there is some parking related coding.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2023, 01:35 PM   #4
aguycalleddb
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G42 M240i XDrive

Garage List
Don’t see why it would need coding, I’ve got the Maxton kit on mine and self park / sensors / 3d view all work as before

G42 /// M240i Thundernight
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2023, 01:47 PM   #5
aguycalleddb
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G42 M240i XDrive

Garage List
From the instructions…
Attached Images

G42 /// M240i Thundernight
Appreciate 2
Jeenius21.00
TJZ67201842.50
      12-20-2023, 05:57 AM   #6
Rdurty2
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i

This coding is nothing new. It existed for all F series across all models where M perf parts were available.

The coding instructions for the rear diffuser are for disabling the comfort access for trunk lift. The feature where you put your foot under the car and the trunk opens.

The coding is not specific to any model, BMW just has it done for all models even if that model never came with the trunk comfort access feature.

Our cars have yet to come with the comfort trunk access.

As far as the coding for the front lip it mentions within ISTA to go into the FGS section. On models with a pedestrian protection system they have an “FGS sensor” in the front bumper. My guess is that the coding changes the warning distance for this sensor.

Just like trunk comfort access our cars are not fitted with the pedestrian protection system.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2023, 07:27 AM   #7
Pentland
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i (G42)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdurty2 View Post
This coding is nothing new. It existed for all F series across all models where M perf parts were available.

The coding instructions for the rear diffuser are for disabling the comfort access for trunk lift. The feature where you put your foot under the car and the trunk opens.

The coding is not specific to any model, BMW just has it done for all models even if that model never came with the trunk comfort access feature.

Our cars have yet to come with the comfort trunk access.

As far as the coding for the front lip it mentions within ISTA to go into the FGS section. On models with a pedestrian protection system they have an “FGS sensor” in the front bumper. My guess is that the coding changes the warning distance for this sensor.

Just like trunk comfort access our cars are not fitted with the pedestrian protection system.

That’s not entirely true. They are generic coding instructions however, I had an F36 with the comfort tailgate opening. Added the M performance diffuser and it didn’t need coding. The coding was for the carbon diffuser on a different model.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2023, 10:05 AM   #8
Jeenius
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i

Garage List
2022 Bmw M240i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeBimmers View Post
Yeah there's coding, and it's a BMW requirement that you buy the front splitter set together with the M Performance Spoiler. Allegedly the coding and set requirement were for some stability concerns according to my dealer, but I'm pretty sure there are a few people running around with just the M Performance spoiler anyways without coding.

I had these parts applied when I received my car, so it kind of looks like it changes the parking 3D view with extra black splitter looking things around the front and rear of the car, but I'm not sure if this is a default outline.

If some one could post the top down view of their car in the parking 3D camera mode we might be able to confirm if there is some parking related coding.
Here is a screenshot of my 3d parking view....
Attached Images
File Type: pdf IMG_6989.pdf (1.49 MB, 42 views)
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2023, 05:23 PM   #9
ILikeBimmers
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: (G42) m240ix

Garage List
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeenius View Post
Here is a screenshot of my 3d parking view....
Yeah I have the CF rear difuser, CF spoiler, CF front splitter and my parking image looks different.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
TJZ67201842.50
      12-26-2023, 11:06 AM   #10
Evilmoretea
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 2 Series (G42)

Bumping for reach.

I too have this question, I’ve heard so many conflicting things. Someone said it’s a typo and BMW themselves don’t even code it.
Appreciate 0