E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > E90 2A87 P0015 issues

06-30-2024, 09:25 AM   #1
La528it
Rep
Drives: E90

E90 2A87 P0015 issues

Howdy, I’m the proud owner of an e91 328xi wagon (2008-08-18 build date N52K).

I’ve been having some difficulties lately with misfires, I just replaced plugs and coils, and I have two codes that will not clear: P0015 and 2A87.

I swapped the vanos units after cleaning with MAF cleaner, I also do my own oil and can attest that the small o-ring on the oil filter cover is religiously changed with every oil change, but still have the same codes. My build date seems to be outside the vanos can-bolt recall, and I’m not sure what to try next: either the exhaust cam position sensor (not sure how often these fail), or the eccentric shaft sensor.

I’ve heard of the bearing ledge issue, but again, believe/pray that that issue was limited to vehicles outside my build date.

Any and all advise greatly appreciated!

PS I was also having oil pressure sensor issues previously, but those went away when I realized that a former I did mechanic had unplugged and never replugged the oils pressure sensor switch.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/56Hs5Uwx7Zo55Gnq9

Last edited by La528it; 06-30-2024 at 09:32 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2024, 01:23 PM   #2
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

ALWAYS check for electrical wiring/connector issues BEFORE throwing parts. There could be an issue with the Solenoid
or Cam Position Sensor connector, the DME Connector in E-box, or the wiring between those two connectors. If swapping
the VANOS Solenoids (you said "vanos units" which are mechanical/hyraulic devices on the front of the cams, under the
Valve Cover) you still have the SAME code, then either you have an Electrical Issue (to include Exhaust Cam Position
Sensor signal), or issue with the actual VANOS Unit on the Exhaust Cam.

P0015 is the P-Code Equivalent of the Hex-code, 2A87: SAME Fault, just different Code protocol to express it. Here are
BMW Fault Code Lookup Definitions, for the MSV80 DME used in N51/N52 328xi:
P0015 | 2A87 | DME: Exhaust VANOS, mechanism | MSV80 | Engine electronics

That GENERALLY means the Exhaust Cam is NOT attaining the "TARGET" angle signaled by the DME, or is 'Over-retarded'.

If you will answer the following questions, we can suggest 'Next Steps':
1) Last-7 Characters of your VIN?
2) Make/Model of any Scan Tool available, or diagnostic software (INPA/ISTA)?
3) What "Live Data" can your Scan Tool display, particularly Cam Angles & VANOS Solenoid function? (See attached ScreenPrint)
4) Do you have a Multimeter?

Attached is an example INPA ScreenPrint from my 3/2007 build 328xi showing Cam Angles, Target (Sollwert) Angles,
& VANOS Solenoid function (%), 4 minutes after cold start. The values change in first few minutes after startup.
Although the ScreenPrint shows an "Activation" Screen, there was NO "Over-ride" of DME control. I was "Just Observing"
INPUTS to the DME while Normal DME Control of Valve Gear occurred.
George
Attached Images

Last edited by gbalthrop; 06-30-2024 at 01:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2024, 03:28 PM   #3
La528it
Rep

George--THANK YOU!

So, my apologies, I was referring to the Vanos solenoids--not the cam-gears themselves.

I was using a generic elm27 scan tool to pull the codes. Based on your suggestion, I fired up my old INPA laptop, and I WAS able to view the Vanos screen you shared. The exhaust was... sticky, was not moving around as much to attain the target relative to the intake (intake on the left, exhaust on the right per my reading). I did try to activate the units via the F# keys, but INPA was throwing an ECU communication error. I'm very green when it comes to inpa, when firing it up, I chose e90, and then selected the N52 motor, and later the N52KP motor, though mine appears to be an N52K based on the last digits of my vin: A539722

I do have a multimeter, and will await your further suggestions. Again, thank you SO much for taking the time to pen such a thoughtful response--I'm incredibly grateful!
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2024, 04:22 PM   #4
La528it
Rep

George, I was able to use the F# buttons, the conditions unmet seemed to be due to idle under 1k.. I cheated and held the accelerator down as I couldn’t see where to raise idle in inpa, this is the message I received earlier: “ CONTROL DK
ERROR-ECU-CONDITIONS NOT_CORRECT_OR_REQUEST_SEQ
LENCE_ERROR”
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2024, 05:54 PM   #5
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by La528it View Post
... I fired up my old INPA laptop, and I WAS able to view the Vanos screen you shared. The exhaust was... sticky, was not moving around as much to attain the target relative to the intake (intake on the left, exhaust on the right per my reading)... I chose e90, and then selected the N52 motor, and later the N52KP motor, though mine appears to be an N52K based on the last digits of my vin: A539722
I do have a multimeter, and will await your further suggestions...
Quote:
George, I was able to use the F# buttons, the conditions unmet seemed to be due to idle under 1k.. I cheated and held the accelerator down as I couldn’t see where to raise idle in inpa...
Since you have INPA, let's start with viewing some Screens & attaching ScreenPrints here, so we can ALL see what's happening. I'll attach INPA ScreenPrints to NEXT Post, so as to NOT destroy margins here. Attached to this post is pdf, INPA Tutorial Quickstart, which shows several Entry-Level Screens, lists general functions of INPA, & describes HOW to save screenprints of INPA Screens.

Beginning ScreenPrints Suggested:
1) With Cold Engine, not run for at least 4 hours, I would attach INPA (K+DCAN Cable), Turn on Ignition, (Engine still OFF)
2) View this screen: INPA > DME (MSV80 for N52K) > F6 Activations > F1 Group 1 > F4 VANOS Intake/Exhaust; Intake values in Left Column, Exhaust values on Right.
3) Save ScreenPrint at BEFORE Cold Start (my first example screen);
4) Start Engine, time run, & Save ScreenPrint 30 seconds after startup (my 2nd example screen);
5) Likewise save ScreenPrint 2 Minutes & 4 Minutes after startup (my 3rd & 4th example screens);

Post those ScreenPrints here so we can ALL see what is happening. We're primarily concerned with a) absolute actual cam angles, b) discrepancy between Target & Actual angles, c) Solenoid % function, & d) changes with time/temperature. All screenprints should be at Idle. ALL are with valve gear under DME Control -- NOT Function key pressed/ NO Over-ride of DME Control.

If you want to try activations, & "Conditions" at top of screen say "Engine Speed > 1000 1/min, that means (I think ;-) you have to go to another screen and change Idle speed. I have used that screen to change idle speed to 660 RPM, but I'm sure you can raise it to ~ 1,050 using the F1-F4 Function keys at bottom of screen at following Screen:
INPA > DME (MSV80) > F9 LineEnd Diagnosis > F5 Change Idle Speed
Resetting to ~ 660 is similar, using function buttons, or simply clicking on Task bar buttons at bottom of Screen.

We're JUST in the Info-gathering process with these steps. Don't be afraid to experiment with INPA. As long as you're "Just Looking", you can't hurt anything. If using F6 Activations, make sure you understand the CONDITIONS at top of screen BEFORE you press any Function Button. Although INPA is SUPPOSED to contain safety features to prevent going FUBAR, I prefer to understand what I'm doing BEFORE I do it.
George
Attached Images
File Type: pdf INPA Tutorial Quickstart.pdf (591.1 KB, 12 views)
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2024, 06:00 PM   #6
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep

Attached are INPA ScreenPrints as described in PRIOR post. MSV80 DME in 3/2007 build 328xi, N52K engine.
George
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-30-2024, 06:00 PM   #7
La528it
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbalthrop View Post
I prefer to understand what I'm doing BEFORE I do it.
George
We are on the same page. Wife is out with the car, will circle back tomorrow after it has had time to cool down--again--THANK YOU!
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2024, 09:18 AM   #8
La528it
Rep

Ok, I'm using a dinosaur laptop, so every screenshot would cause INPA to crash... that said, here is what I managed to grab:
Attached Images

Last edited by La528it; 07-01-2024 at 11:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2024, 02:45 PM   #9
NZE90
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 325i

You could try removing the VANOS filters/check valves if you haven't already. If they are partially blocked it could quite possibly cause this code.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2024, 08:04 PM   #10
La528it
Rep

Thank you! I never vane across that non-return valve, it may have glanced toothy over it. New pair ordered, and I’ll r see if they need replacing once the new ones arrive. Internet says that might just be the ticket—again thank you!!
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2024, 08:20 AM   #11
La528it
Rep

Ok! I pulled the vamos filters out...

Tried from the top, dropped a tool and ended up having to remove the entire fender liner to find it.

Pro-tip: even when fully unscrewed, the filter may not drop out, one of mine (lower) was slightly stuck, and I had to use an clip expander I'm the Torx 40 to pull it out (the filters are aluminum, otherwise a magnet would have glided it straight out.

Filters looked great... I cleaned them up with brake cleaner, and then decided that I've gone this far, may as well plug in the new ones and toss the old ones. Took it for a spin, and finally, no 2A87 errors (only one that would come up after eating the solenoids), I'll circle back if itnpipsnup again, I only drove 3 miles, but when idling (engine warm) the rpm was glued to 650--good sign!

Thanks again for all the suggestions and fingers firmly crossed!
Appreciate 1
NZE90321.00
      08-08-2024, 06:51 AM   #12
La528it
Rep

Ugh, still throwing the same codes… after banks solenoids and filters, what should I tackle next to chase this down?
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2024, 07:31 AM   #13
La528it
Rep

Bump—seeking help on next steps. Car drives fine but keeps throwing errors…
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2024, 08:56 AM   #14
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Bump—seeking help on next steps. Car drives fine but keeps throwing errors…
What Fault Codes? P0015/2A87 Exhaust Cam Retarded?
You Previously swapped VANOS Solenoids & Fault did NOT follow Solenoid (change to P0012/2A82)?
Your VIN-7 is A539722?
You have INPA?

If that is correct, & 2A87 Fault is "Intermittent" as your last INPA Screen Suggests (Exhaust Cam at proper angle & ~ same as Target Angle, after 4 minutes), then there is likely a wiring or connector issue, which is Intermittent.

We need to know WHEN (at what engine Temp, RPM, etc.) the "hiccup" occurs, & how frequently. Those clues may help us. You can also test the wiring of the Cam Sensor & also the VANOS Solenoid, with Jiggling or Manipulation of the wiring harness, to try to identify the Location of any wiring issue. Since you have INPA, I would suggest the following:

1) Confirm Fault Codes are saved in DME Fault Memory. Do NOT clear any code.

2) Use INPA to view & save ScreenPrint of Freeze Frame Data for Each Fault Code:
INPA > DME (MSV80) > F4 Error Memory > F1 Read > F3 Read Error Memory with FF Data

3) SAVE ScreenPrint for EACH DME Fault.

4) Attach ScreenPrints here. We will then have a "Snapshot" of Engine/System Conditions at moment Fault Code was saved, along with mileage & frequency.

5) Please ALSO provide your current Odometer reading.

I will provide ISTA SSP Wiring Diagrams & Connector Views/ Locations for your vehicle with other suggested test steps AFTER you post the FF Data.

It might ALSO be helpful to view/ Save/ Post the "History Memory" (HistorySpeicher) from the DME. That History remains even after Fault Memory (FehlerSpeicher) is cleared, so you can see last 10 Fault Codes:
INPA > DME > F4 > F3 History Memory > F1 Read History Memory
Note there is an Odometer reading (km) for each fault instance, which allows reconstruction of timeline.

One last question. What work was done under the hood in week BEFORE the 2A87 Fault or SES light FIRST appeared?
George
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2024, 03:26 PM   #15
La528it
Rep

George--THANK YOU

Here goes:
  • Yes VIN-7 is: A539722
  • Current Mileage is: 121,381 miles
  • Vanos error did NOT switch to intake when I swapped the solenoids. Additionally, both solenoids responded favorably upon wiring a 9v source to them.
  • Only one fault code: 2A87
  • Freeze Frame Data is below
  • I cleared the memory a few days back, and thus the HistorySpeicher is empty
  • I do not recall what work was done that triggered the issues. And, unfortunately this is my wife's car, so I can't speak to what triggers the SES light to illuminate
  • Car drives perfectly fine, no more idle hunting, no issues to report whatsoever other than the SES light
  • Additional data points: Vanos filters replaced with new BMW filters (though the original ones were clean), new Oil Filter Cover from BMW as well. Vehicle is NOT included in the vanos bolt recall, albeit in the past, this e91 was not included in earlier recalls, only to be added subsequently (of course, after I picked up the parts and did the labor myself )

Many thanks yet again!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 05:58 PM   #16
La528it
Rep

Is -115 what an ungrounded or faulty sensor would read? i
Appreciate 0