bimmerpost/
BMW M2 and 2-Series Coupe
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BMW 2 Series Technical Topics (G42) Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior, Interior, Lighting)

09-18-2023, 06:43 AM   #67
mad murph
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i

How are all these tips holding up a few months later?
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2023, 11:48 AM   #68
BG42
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M240ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad murph View Post
True test will be in a couple of months when the white stuff starts falling and they put nasty stuff for ice all over the ground.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2023, 03:33 PM   #69
J-RO
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M240ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by perfectlyfrank View Post
I just put them on. Pretty easy.

Were you able to install them while the car was on the ground? Is there enough room to get yourself under there? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2023, 04:15 PM   #70
apez
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW G87 M2, F25 X3

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [7.62]
2015 BMW X3  [7.25]
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-RO View Post
Were you able to install them while the car was on the ground? Is there enough room to get yourself under there? Thanks.
They can definitely be installed without lifting the car
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2023, 04:17 PM   #71
PRINCE THUNDERNIGHT
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M240i XDrive G42

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-RO View Post
When I installed mine, I backed up onto a couple of pieces of wood. But there’d be plenty of clearance just on the ground.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-15-2023, 06:13 PM   #72
Ninjageezer
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M240I G42

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005...548%21im%21%21

Has anyone got or tried the B type with 2 jubilee type clamps, looks a lot simpler to fit or is there a reason most if not all pick the screw/bolt type.
Also did the car need jacking up to fit.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2023, 05:57 AM   #73
cannockwolf
Captain
Rep
Drives: M240i 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjageezer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by apez View Post
They can definitely be installed without lifting the car
      10-16-2023, 03:10 PM   #74
TJZ67201
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 M240i

Quote:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005...548%21im%21%21

Has anyone got or tried the B type with 2 jubilee type clamps, looks a lot simpler to fit or is there a reason most if not all pick the screw/bolt type.
I have option Black B. Installed about 6 months ago. I ceramic coating them with CarPro DLUX (high temp resistant) since I had extra left over at the time. Those clamps are very easy to install BUT they rust over time.

Overall, the finish has help up pretty well. They still look like new, glossy black. Rust is a concern. The clamps rust and there is some minor rust forming at the welds under the gloss black. I don’t think this would become a major problem for at least 3 years
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      10-17-2023, 03:07 AM   #75
Ninjageezer
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M240I G42

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJZ67201 View Post
I have option Black B. Installed about 6 months ago. I ceramic coating them with CarPro DLUX (high temp resistant) since I had extra left over at the time. Those clamps are very easy to install BUT they rust over time.

Overall, the finish has help up pretty well. They still look like new, glossy black. Rust is a concern. The clamps rust and there is some minor rust forming at the welds under the gloss black. I don’t think this would become a major problem for at least 3 years
Many thanks ,do they align well...that was the only positive i could think of for the bolt system over the clamp as you can align 4 ways. i guess they are not using stainless welds either.but for the price i guess if you keep on top of the cleaning they should be good for quite some time.where i live in the UK we get a lot of salt on the roads in the winter so corrosion is a nightmare over time.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2023, 09:58 AM   #76
TJZ67201
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 M240i

Quote:
Many thanks ,do they align well...that was the only positive i could think of for the bolt system over the clamp as you can align 4 ways. i guess they are not using stainless welds either.but for the price i guess if you keep on top of the cleaning they should be good for quite some time.where i live in the UK we get a lot of salt on the roads in the winter so corrosion is a nightmare over time.
There is not much range of motion but you can make some minor adjustments. They fit pretty well so you don’t need to make many adjustments, they just fit into place.

That’s a good point. I installed these right after winter (we get a lot of salt here as well). I also wash my car every week or every other week so they rusted this far without seeing salt. Kinda curious how this winter will go but I will most likely be upgrading to the Dinan exhaust before then
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2023, 03:19 PM   #77
ninja_geezer
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i G42

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJZ67201 View Post
There is not much range of motion but you can make some minor adjustments. They fit pretty well so you don’t need to make many adjustments, they just fit into place.

That’s a good point. I installed these right after winter (we get a lot of salt here as well). I also wash my car every week or every other week so they rusted this far without seeing salt. Kinda curious how this winter will go but I will most likely be upgrading to the Dinan exhaust before then
Got some the same here ready to fit ......if we get a milder spell of weather ,ice and snow atm.....i bought some stainless jubilee clips off amazon to combat that part rusting at least.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2023, 05:28 PM   #78
Ziggyrama
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i

Saw some folks comment on WMS tips so here's some details on them. I just installed them, matt black finish, so I cannot comment on the finish durability, time will tell. I did end up making some modifications to the exhaust to make the tips fit better, see details on that below.

I really like the clamp that comes with WMS tips. It's stainless, but the hardware for it is not (bolt, washer and nut). Shame that they cut a corner like that, since dissimilar metals will accelerate corrosion (galvanic reaction) which means the supplied bolt will likely fail pretty quickly. I ended up spending $10 at the local store on stainless hardware to address this, just something to be aware of. The pic below shows the clamp with the stainless hardware.

Once installed, the tips stick out a bit too much for my taste. I didn't love the rocket booster look. This car deserves something better.

I prefer a more flush look, so it was time to do some real modding. I ended up cutting off 3/4" from the exhaust tip which gave me more room to push the tips in and get the look I wanted. As you can see, the lettering is barely visible, you have to catch it from the right angle.

Appreciate 5
nype139.50
speed817128.00
VegasG42379.50
      04-18-2024, 04:34 PM   #79
Pentland
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i (G42)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad murph View Post
Bumping this up as it’s a year since I installed the carbon fibre / stainless steel type C on this link.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005...05004313882708

They are cheaper due to different deliver options on the same sellers other offer (type H)

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005...05005315488816

In general I’ve been happy with the tips (they are not that expensive after all). They arrived quickly and were easy to fit. However, the steel is now tarnishing, turning gold and in some spots rusty. They clean up but that’s a chore I’d rather not have. The carbon fibre outer is like new.

I’m now looking to the all black painted option (type A in first link) as that is like OEM but a couple of posts back report paint peeling. Does anybody have any more feedback?
Second choice is carbon fibre with the black painted inside. Type F or B in the first link.
Appreciate 1
      04-20-2024, 02:14 PM   #80
JoeyJoeJo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G42 M240ix

I got AK MUFFLERTIP Official Store (I think they are the same as AKpowerdrift but can't be definitive) to make a custom version for me in black and the paint didn't last a couple of weeks, I had them cerakoted locally and they are terrific now, very happy.

Extra cost but still pretty cheap overall.