bimmerpost/
BMW M2 and 2-Series Coupe
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BMW 2 Series Technical Topics (G42) App, Nav, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

01-07-2022, 11:56 PM   #23
AllenLeeBMWDurham
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M240i (G42)

I have wireless charging in mine and I knew the whole concept of wireless charging was a gimmick in the sense that it wouldn't charge that fast, and make the phone really hot. Being in Canada, so far every M240i I've seen has wireless charger despite the lack of parts and it missing from many other models. With that being said, since the phone gets really hot, I use it to warm up my hands on the way into work now that the winter weather has arrived.
Appreciate 2
      01-08-2022, 11:58 AM   #24
aaron_k
Private
Rep
Drives: G42 M240i

Found out mine is not coming with wireless charging afterall... but after hearing some others experience with BMWs wireless charging im thinking ill be fine.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2022, 04:13 PM   #25
Lightngsvt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 G20 M340i

Garage List
Why do the in-car wireless chargers suck so bad? I have 2- stand alone wireless chargers and both work great.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2022, 07:44 PM   #26
yuvalt
Private
Rep
Drives: 22 M240i, 09 Miata, 70 Corvett

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenLeeBMWDurham View Post
I have wireless charging in mine and I knew the whole concept of wireless charging was a gimmick in the sense that it wouldn't charge that fast, and make the phone really hot. Being in Canada, so far every M240i I've seen has wireless charger despite the lack of parts and it missing from many other models. With that being said, since the phone gets really hot, I use it to warm up my hands on the way into work now that the winter weather has arrived.
I wonder if Wireless CarPlay works without the wireless charger and without the Wi-Fi hotspot…
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2022, 08:21 PM   #27
jpcoop
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightngsvt View Post
Why do the in-car wireless chargers suck so bad? I have 2- stand alone wireless chargers and both work great.
I always figured it was likely:

1. Poor alignment between the phone and car's charging coils, due to the one-size-fits-all design of the charging tray.

2. For iPhone users: Apple only lets 3rd party chargers operate at I believe 7.5 watts. Apple's MagSafe chargers can do 15 watts. The magnets in the MagSafe charger ensure the induction coils are aligned, eliminating problem #1 from above.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2022, 11:41 PM   #28
tahoebimmer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuvalt View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenLeeBMWDurham View Post
I wonder if Wireless CarPlay works without the wireless charger and without the Wi-Fi hotspot…
Yes, it does
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2022, 04:18 PM   #29
anasryadi
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 X30i

Quote:
Hi,

I just ordered my g42, however the order does not include the Wireless Charging nor Wi-Fi Hotspot, unlike the car I took for a test drive which had both. The sales person told me it would be an additional $500. When I asked how the digital key would work without it, he said that digital keys are not supported regardless due to chip shortage (the usual excuse for anything these days). So questions I have:

1. Is it true that the wireless charging is strictly for charging the phone and does not serve any other purpose?
2. Is digital key not an option on these cars?
3. Is $500 what others are seeing charged for wirless charging?

Thank you

-Yuval
I don't like these dealers who know nothing about these cars and give misleading information. Just tell him that you want it for $500 and it won't show up in the sticker price. It's a standard option for the M240i but for other cars there might be a charge. I also hate dealers who think that the M235i GC is the same as the M240i there was a dealer who told me to test drive that one before ordering the M240i so I left because how stupid he was.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2022, 05:35 PM   #30
Dynamodux
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw m240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by anasryadi View Post
I don't like these dealers who know nothing about these cars and give misleading information. Just tell him that you want it for $500 and it won't show up in the sticker price. It's a standard option for the M240i but for other cars there might be a charge. I also hate dealers who think that the M235i GC is the same as the M240i there was a dealer who told me to test drive that one before ordering the M240i so I left because how stupid he was.
As stated before it's pointless, it's useless and barely charges a phone, it is very good at heating your phone up though
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2022, 05:56 PM   #31
kumizi206
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 22 m240i

Quote:
Yes

I think people would revolt if CarPlay was affected by any of the supply issues.
Appreciate 1
yuvalt86.00
      01-10-2022, 12:01 PM   #32
AllenLeeBMWDurham
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M240i (G42)

Quote:
Yes it does!
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2022, 08:25 AM   #33
JDM_240
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M240i (Thundernight)

No one is going to get wireless charging in their cars for a very long time! There is no option to retrofit as the cable from the DME that would power the pad was removed from the wiring harness.
This is the same case for XM and even some cars are having their touch screens removed and customers are needed to sign an agreement saying the car they are buying does not and will never be able to add a touch screen.
We had a new M440 come in with completely manual seats but with the works…
It’s a tough world out there guys. Talk to your CA before you’re too late
Appreciate 0