08-24-2022, 03:00 PM   #199
KoenG
Lieutenant Colonel
Belgium
Rep
Drives: i4 eDrive40 & Cupra Leon 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmboone25 View Post
I think you'd find that many people today are paying in the range, or more possibly, for excellent condition E30 M3s (or the E36, E46, E92), as compared to the G series M cars.

To me, the fact that those older, less technologically progressive and "slower" cars can command prices in the range of a brand new M4 at least suggests that the older care are more representative of what a lot of people like / prefer in this space.

But at the end of the day. car purchases like this are very emotional and inherently subjective - so I understand where you're coming from.
When people are willing to pay big money for an E30M3, it's pure yought sentiment. But in all its specifications, the car has become obsolete, a long time ago...
Appreciate 1
sk8funk174.50
      08-25-2022, 06:36 AM   #200
Karmic Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoenG View Post
When you look at the evolution between the E30 M3 and the G82 M4, we progressed light years! You don't have to ask which is faster around the Nordschleife or more thrilling to ride, no? I don't see why the M2 has to remain excluded from this progression.
More thrilling is not about being faster against a stopwatch.

The 1M is more thrilling than the G82 M4 on any track but is much slower. The feeling of a going up for a challenge is the thrill, not which is faster to 100km/h. No owner races these cars stock for a living.

AT + AWD numbs down the thrill is what many people are getting at. Progress is assessed on many attributes. Weight and driver insulation progression is not what a sporty car driver would want.
Appreciate 3
Bumpinjeep5559.50
Dabozo624.50
      08-25-2022, 07:41 AM   #201
M2PDX
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:
When people are willing to pay big money for an E30M3, it's pure yought sentiment. But in all its specifications, the car has become obsolete, a long time ago...
I'm sorry, but I have to disagree with you.

Certainly the 0-60 and track times of an F-80 or G80 can't be matched by the earlier cars.

But the new cars have lost agility, nimbleness, "feel" and connection to the road and to the driver. I've owned e36s, e46s, e92s, F80s, and now F87s. I've driven several e30 M3s as well as G80s, including the brutally fast G80 Competition. I've driven them back to back on several occasions.

The F87 is the only one of the newer Bimmers that has the soul of the older models.

The older models embody excellent driving dynamics. On a twisty mountain road, or even on a normal street, they are more nimble, more fun, and more responsive than any G80. And on tight, curvey road, they can often be quicker. They reward good driving skills. And since almost all come with a manual transmission, they are far more engaging.

Faster in a straight line? Yes.

Obsolete? No way.
Appreciate 2
dmboone254972.00
M3WC3645.00
      08-26-2022, 01:58 AM   #202
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
When you look at the evolution between the E30 M3 and the G82 M4, we progressed light years! You don't have to ask which is faster around the Nordschleife or more thrilling to ride, no? I don't see why the M2 has to remain excluded from this progression.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmic Man View Post
More thrilling is not about being faster against a stopwatch.
The 1M is more thrilling than the G82 M4 on any track but is much slower. The feeling of a going up for a challenge is the thrill, not which is faster to 100km/h. No owner races these cars stock for a living.
AT + AWD numbs down the thrill is what many people are getting at. Progress is assessed on many attributes. Weight and driver insulation progression is not what a sporty car driver would want.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2PDX View Post
Certainly the 0-60 and track times of an F-80 or G80 can't be matched by the earlier cars.
But the new cars have lost agility, nimbleness, "feel" and connection to the road and to the driver. I've owned e36s, e46s, e92s, F80s, and now F87s. I've driven several e30 M3s as well as G80s, including the brutally fast G80 Competition. I've driven them back to back on several occasions.
The F87 is the only one of the newer Bimmers that has the soul of the older models.
The older models embody excellent driving dynamics. On a twisty mountain road, or even on a normal street, they are more nimble, more fun, and more responsive than any G80. And on tight, curvey road, they can often be quicker. They reward good driving skills. And since almost all come with a manual transmission, they are far more engaging. Faster in a straight line? Yes.
Obsolete? No way.

From an era without (way too) many iDrive / DriveLogic settings: one size fits all, except for a wing and a splitter.

08-26-2022, 12:36 PM   #203
M3WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:

The older models embody excellent driving dynamics. On a twisty mountain road, or even on a normal street, they are more nimble, more fun, and more responsive than any G80. And on tight, curvey road, they can often be quicker. They reward good driving skills. And since almost all come with a manual transmission, they are far more engaging.

Obsolete? No way.
Spot on.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2022, 05:54 PM   #204
TrentMeister
Colonel
Rep
Drives: g82 comp

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentMeister View Post
Lol ok
Would you agree that BMW has an advantage, from the enthusiast perspective, by continuing to offer RWD its smallest M car?

I think of the M2 as the modern equivalent of the older M3, for which AWD wouldn't have ever been considered. It makes sense, logically, to keep the smallest M car as simple as possible (at least to some people).

That's why we have one, albeit "just" an OG.

My honest opinion is that others do AWD better…better off to stick to that which one is truly best at doing, or RWD for BMW in this case.
Oh most definitely, the rwd action is the main reason I'm into bmw's.

That and I love I6 engines…

And I think they look cool…

And the simple interiors with quality materials…

And the wide body's on M cars…

And the racing heritage…

I guess there's a few things I like😂
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2022, 05:55 PM   #205
TrentMeister
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3WC View Post
Quote:

Obsolete? No way.
Spot on.
Did you turn off traction control on the g80's you've driven?
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2022, 12:50 AM   #206
M2PDX
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes. They are amazingly fast, but the steering is numb, and they still feel heavy. With or without traction control on. Like a bludgeon. Super powerful and super fast. Not nimble.

I like them, but they don't make the older Bimmers "obsolete. " That was my point. The older cars may be slower, but they are timeless from my perspective.

I'm hoping the G87 still has some of that old magic.
Appreciate 1
Ronin76764.00
      08-27-2022, 08:49 AM   #207
///BMW Junkie
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrix1st View Post
I think it's simpler than that. M2 has to be fairly light, responsive, and tossable at will. Changes like ZF8 or xDrive compromises responsiveness, hence the ongoing/derailed discussion about the engine/transmission combo.
You don't see 911 S/4S drivers argue this much because they are available both in MT and PDK (make no mistake, 911 owners will riot if PDK is replaced with a slushbox).
It's again a shortcoming on BMW's part.

Quote:
I think the suggestion is that there are other options, within the BMW lineup and elsewhere, already in existence for that kind of thing. You know, fast in a straight line, heavier than it could otherwise be, etc.

The F87 (in any guise) wasn't almost universally celebrated for attributes that would be improved or enhanced by AWD, so why change the formula in such a material fashion?
The 911 analogy is spot on and was my exact point earlier - what's the issue with having both options? "Purists" acting like auto/awd G87 would somehow take away the rwd/manual.. Car is definitely coming as rwd/manual first and auto/awd option could perhaps be offered down the line, yet to be seen. If it happens, everyone happy and no need for 10 pointless pages this turned into 😏
T_U_D6685.50
      08-27-2022, 10:48 AM   #208
kyrix1st
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G87 M2; E92M3 MT&DCT; M3 euro

Garage List
2004 BMW Z4  [0.00]
Well the issue with recent BMW is they tend to ignore demands for different variants and aim to offer one-vehicle-fits-all, which will never work in this case.
It's gotten worse ever since Zipse (the logistics guy) became the head of the company, as one would expect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///BMW Junkie View Post
The 911 analogy is spot on and was my exact point earlier - what's the issue with having both options? "Purists" acting like auto/awd G87 would somehow take away the rwd/manual.. Car is definitely coming as rwd/manual first and auto/awd option could perhaps be offered down the line, yet to be seen. If it happens, everyone happy and no need for 10 pointless pages this turned into ��
      08-27-2022, 02:23 PM   #209
rkmjr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 ,M & Exe Pkg, MT & MPE

Garage List
[QUOTE,//M TOWN;29244055]
Quote:
Originally Posted by reward72 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M TOWN View Post
M2 will remain pure
I don't understand that mentality. What would you lose if the car is made available in both RWD and xDrive? Nobody will force you to buy the xDrive one. But some people like me live in areas with snow on the ground six months of the year and AWD would make the car much more liveable. I currently own an M240i and would upgrade to an M2 in a heart beat if it was available with xDrive. Life is too short to drive a beater in winter months.
It will lose the lovely RWD dynamics

There's something unique and special about the simplicity of a rear wheel drive car

Want all wheel drive buy all wheel drive but I seriously doubt we'll ever see xDrive on the BMW M2[/QUOTE]

But why not have both. With M-x-Drive, AWD can be turned off and you can have your RWD. OR, simply just purchase RWD. Rain, snow or other less than optimum road conditions, turn on the AWD.
      08-27-2022, 07:32 PM   #210
TrentMeister
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Yes. They are amazingly fast, but the steering is numb, and they still feel heavy. With or without traction control on. Like a bludgeon. Super powerful and super fast. Not nimble.

I like them, but they don't make the older Bimmers "obsolete. " That was my point. The older cars may be slower, but they are timeless from my perspective.

Yeah I'd say they're closer to muscle cars now than the scalpels of the past
Appreciate 1
KoenG1428.50
      08-28-2022, 08:15 AM   #211
M2PDX
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yeah I'd say they're closer to muscle cars now than the scalpels of the past
That's a great analogy.
Appreciate 1
KoenG1428.50
      08-28-2022, 04:51 PM   #212
KoenG
Lieutenant Colonel
Belgium
Rep

Quote:

It's not fair to idealise an old school 80s car for its dextrosity which has none of the evolutions and respects none of the current legislations.

When you want a nimble car these days, you can buy a few supercars made of carbon/alu, or a kitcar. Leaving out AWD and AT are not converting a fatty into an athlete, not at BMW wich offers both the best Xdrive and AT that the market currently produces and at the lowest added weight.

In 2022, an E30 M3 is totally obsolete since besides it's nimble, it's nothing what the G87 will offer you with its much wider range of abilities. Or is there anybody here seriously believing that the E30 eclipses the G87?
Appreciate 1
      08-28-2022, 06:38 PM   #213
KoenG
Lieutenant Colonel
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post

From an era without (way too) many iDrive / DriveLogic settings: one size fits all, except for a wing and a splitter.

Yes, balance is king. We know as BMW fans.
Mind to explain your message here? Tx
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2022, 06:48 PM   #214
G80indy
Save the Manuals
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z3, E46, G80

I don't know…. But my G80 MT feels super connected and precise.
The suspension / geometry / feel is staggeringly good …
I kind of chuckle about people bitching about the steering feeling numb? Including some at Car & Driver.
It is so laser precise you move it a millimeter and it makes a change.

…so I don't need to feel every bump in the road through to the damn steering wheel!

This car is for the ages - The engine and chassis are an incredible improvement in total.
Mind you, I had an E92 competition.

I would expect the next M2 to follow suit
Appreciate 4
KoenG1428.50
jb_s65m20.50
JTO245276.00
      08-30-2022, 10:52 AM   #215
M2PDX
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It's not fair to idealise an old school 80s car for its dextrosity which has none of the evolutions and respects none of the current legislations.

When you want a nimble car these days, you can buy a few supercars made of carbon/alu, or a kitcar. Leaving out AWD and AT are not converting a fatty into an athlete, not at BMW wich offers both the best Xdrive and AT that the market currently produces and at the lowest added weight.

In 2022, an E30 M3 is totally obsolete since besides it's nimble, it's nothing what the G87 will offer you with its much wider range of abilities. Or is there anybody here seriously believing that the E30 eclipses the G87?
Put a well maintained e30 M3, with a G80, a trio of F87s (OG and competition), a couple e34s, a spare e46 or two, etc. and turn them loose on a typical mountain or coastal twisty road (as our club frequently does) and I challenge you to tell or show me how the e30 (m3 or even 325i or iS) is obsolete in any real world way. Heck, we often have a guy in a 1997 e36 M3 out in front and it's hard to keep up!

On a high speed track, or in a straight line, yes. Or in the realm of automatic this or electronic that, yes.

But not as a drivers car.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2022, 07:28 PM   #216
TrentMeister
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Put a well maintained e30 M3, with a G80, a trio of F87s (OG and competition), a couple e34s, a spare e46 or two, etc. and turn them loose on a typical mountain or coastal twisty road (as our club frequently does) and I challenge you to tell or show me how the e30 (m3 or even 325i or iS) is obsolete in any real world way. Heck, we often have a guy in a 1997 e36 M3 out in front and it's hard to keep up!

On a high speed track, or in a straight line, yes. Or in the realm of automatic this or electronic that, yes.

Yeah e36 is the pinnacle if you ask me.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2022, 07:31 PM   #217
///BMW Junkie
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

240x would destroy it in any situation
      08-30-2022, 07:39 PM   #218
TrentMeister
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Except for like everything that makes a bmw not a Nissan 🙄..

Wait you don't mean a m240 do you😂
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2022, 10:23 PM   #219
///BMW Junkie
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Mlite 😂
      08-30-2022, 10:25 PM   #220
TrentMeister
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Mlite 😂
Mlite on steering feel, throttle response, and naturally aspirated goodness😂
Appreciate 0