home
BMW M2 Forums 2023+ (G87) BMW M2 G87 General Topics

04-20-2024, 04:16 PM   #1
abrandonment
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

What Dashcam are people using?

I took the time to get the clean/reversible install that I wanted done (x-post below) but now I'm thinking I should level up my Dashcam game.

Anyone have recommendations for a camera they love?

Requirements:
  1. "Better" than the one I have now
  2. Micro USB or USB C powered
  3. Only using a single front channel at the moment
    (Don't want to run the rear cable)

Install cross-post
---------------------------------------------------
Products Used
Install
First, a big thanks to @turnsignalslol who did a write up here, covering his install. Very helpful photos that I should have been better about capturing for myself but here we are.

Essentially you use a trim tool to push the two plastic pieces that form the facade apart, I started close to the glass and pushed out, they pop off fairly easily. You'll see two plugs, one small pink, one larger black (featuring in the post linked above) you want to tap the black one. The one surprise I had here was the mirror itself popped off and fell into the floor as I was trying to remove the plug. Though unplanned this actually made getting the tap seated far easier, as it resolved the awkward angle you would have to work at otherwise. You'll tap the red wire into the far right (red/blue wire) and the ground into the far left (black/brown wire), test that you're getting power to your camera, then clip the two plastic pieces together.

I needed the 90-degree adapter because I wanted as little loose cable as I could get away with, this meant leaving too little to make the turn. If you exit from the driver's side vs passenger, the USB in placement on this camera in particular would be perfect.

I worried I would need to trim a groove for the cable to pass through, but don't bother, everything closes tight without any cutting. Five to ten minute job, depending on how easily the plastic separates.

In the end, a clean install that did not require: cutting, soldering or a half mile cable run through the car is what I wanted. Bonus here for me is that the camera is almost entirely out of sight from the driver's seat.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-20-2024, 05:20 PM   #2
TiresAlwaysFlat
Rep
Drives: power wheels

I'm using the VIOFO A119 Mini 2. It's inexpensive, parking mode, Wi-Fi, USB C and has the Sony STARVIS 2 image sensor.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2024, 05:38 PM   #3
abrandonment
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiresAlwaysFlat View Post
I'm using the VIOFO A119 Mini 2. It's inexpensive, parking mode, Wi-Fi, USB C and has the Sony STARVIS 2 image sensor.
I've looked at it before -- do you have any stills/footage handy?

Starvis seems great.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2024, 08:10 PM   #4
sebaflex
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

stumbled upon this one on YT, seems like a good solution.

Appreciate 0
      04-20-2024, 08:11 PM   #5
abrandonment
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebaflex View Post
stumbled upon this one on YT, seems like a good solution.

[ur]https://youtu.be/09Qz_wwXLIU?si=qg1TI5fr_lKjD46v[/url]
I actually had this for my Golf -- never tested because it was so poorly put together I returned it.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2024, 10:33 PM   #6
CadolinaRipr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by abrandonment View Post
I actually had this for my Golf — never tested because it was so poorly put together I returned it.
I have the FitcamX and actually like it very much for what it is. Works great and fits my needs just fine. YMMV I guess.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2024, 07:48 AM   #7
abrandonment
Lieutenant
Rep

My FitCam fell into 3-5 pieces while I was installing it. Lense fell out, connector popped off.. disaster.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2024, 10:40 PM   #8
CadolinaRipr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by abrandonment View Post
My FitCam fell into 3-5 pieces while I was installing it. Lense fell out, connector popped off.. disaster.
That doesn’t sound right at all. If that happened to me, I’d send it back too. Luckily I did not have that experience and others here run the cam with no issues either. Sorry that happened to you. I can completely understand your experience even if it doesn’t match mine at all.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2024, 11:07 PM   #9
sacowich
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 6sp

I have a Viofo A139 pro, front and back.
Installed by my go to shop, hardwired.
Footage looked great when I played around after installing. Otherwise haven’t had much need to download any incidents.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2024, 09:49 AM   #10
abrandonment
Lieutenant
Rep

Last night I did a head to head with the Vantrue I had and the A119 Mini 2 -- footage was brighter and easier to see with the Vantrue so I'm sticking with it for now.
Appreciate 0