home
BMW M2 Forums 2023+ (G87) BMW M2 G87 General Topics

04-21-2024, 12:46 PM   #1
abrandonment
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

Button Mapping? Macros? Automation? canDo+ unboxing

These cars are amazing, hard to find someone who will argue that point. They do so much, but to be sure, if you want the car setup exactly as you want it you'll need to accept a few button presses every time you start it.

One example is the Sport mode display, there is no way to use it as your default view, you can't even tie that view to an M mode preset.

The M engineers at BMW knew that shortcuts were the way to go, it's the entire reason they included the M1/M2 buttons at all.. but, their hands were tied by regulations and budget constraints, they could only go so far.

I've seen (and nearly bought) the box that addresses that singular Sport display problem. I should say here that I love owning a car that has a passionate, smart and capable group of fellow owners rallying around it. My S2000 was the same way.

All that said, a box, installed in the console that does just does ONE thing felt a little silly. Never mind the cost.

Then, enter some crazy dudes from Canada. They have built a tiny box called the canDO+ (seriously, the size of the keyfob) that installs, in line, in the iDrive console and unlocks advanced Button Mapping, Automation and Macros.

THIS is what I wanted, nearly infinite control over what happens when I turn the car on, or long press a button on the steering wheel, console, etc. In fact, the day the unit arrived I got an notice about a firmware update that unlocks even more functionality from the iDrive buttons.

The whole thing is configured via web interface, over a local wifi connection (similar to the way Bimmercode OBD connections work) just in a browser vs an app.

I won't get a chance to install it today but I am stoked to get it in and start configuring my "on-start" macros and other buttons in the car.

I'll get some photos of my install and setup -- and if there is interest a review but for now, a few unboxing pics:
⠀ ⠀
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
Mr. Hankey1030.00
myaghi68.00
      04-21-2024, 01:31 PM   #2
JABCAT
Professor
Rep
Drives: '23 M2 & '22 X3 M Competition

Sounds cool. Hitting the mode button doesn't really bother me enough to pay for something so that I don't have to.

His: '23 M2, Toronto Red Metallic, M highlight interior, carbon fiber interior trim, shadowline, lighting pkg, auto cruise, live cockpit pro.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2024, 01:50 PM   #3
Carefree
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M240i, M2

I use voice commands.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2024, 02:00 PM   #4
abrandonment
Lieutenant
Rep

Yeah this sort of thing is decidedly not something that matters to everyone but like I mentioned before the idea of automation (key profiles) and shortcuts (M buttons) are clearly functions that BMW knew to be important -- this feels like a way to fine tune and level up both of those.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2024, 02:28 PM   #5
ZPD
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M850i GC, 2023 G87

following
      04-21-2024, 07:03 PM   #6
Mr. Hankey
Christmas Poo
Rep
Drives: Ford Expedition

Following as well. My CanDo+ is here waiting with me for my car to arrive! Another update was released this weekend.

I dislike dealing with touchscreens and menus and voice commands that much.
      04-21-2024, 10:35 PM   #7
sacowich
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 6sp

I have the other device you mention, and yes, for same price it does very little. Only maps sport display to M buttons.

This is very intriguing. Looking forward to your review.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2024, 09:11 AM   #8
abrandonment
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacowich View Post
I have the other device you mention, and yes, for same price it does very little. Only maps sport display to M buttons.

This is very intriguing. Looking forward to your review.
I almost ordered that box but wanted to get a sense for how big a deal the screen toggle was. For me, that use alone doesn't even justify taking apart the console, never mind the cost.

But this on the other hand I'm really excited about.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2024, 10:34 AM   #9
WhiteRqbbit
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 G87

Oh my! This is exactly what I was looking for.... now I wonder if they could somehow integrate a valve controller into this, and it will be everything I've ever wanted.
      Today, 04:07 PM   #10
canDO_Stef
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: NA

While waiting for more from @abrandonment, here's a little something:

From our upcoming release with iDrive Controller Rotation, set up shortcuts to interior lighting schemes!

In this video, we set up Actions to choose from a shortcut to Interior Lighting, and chose our favourite colour (notice lighting changes to red). Also, the trigger used here is something that canDO+ unlocks, a TOUCH event on an iDrive button.

I think that's a pretty cool shortcut!

We should've probably added a "Back Press" to bring the display back to where it was at the end of the operation. When you do it on your canDO+, don't forget to add it in!
Appreciate 0