BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BMW M2 Forums 2023+ (G87) BMW M2 G87 General Topics

10-29-2023, 11:32 PM   #1
FreeAgent
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 Ford Focus ST

How much extra headroom does the carbon roof add?

Hey everyone, first time poster.

Test drove the new M2 over the weekend. It had the standard roof (with the sunroof). I like to position my seat fairly high, so I'm looking out the upper portion of the windshield, and I'm also a bit on the taller side at 6'1". I found I had to sit a bit lower than I would like so my hair wasn't rubbing on the headliner.

Now, it seems to be pretty commonly said that the carbon roof option (which deletes the sunroof) adds headroom. Before I option that on my build, does anyone know exactly how much headroom is gained above the front seats? Trying to decide if that $2,600 is worth it

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 1
ayilar16.00
      10-30-2023, 12:11 AM   #2
Geighty7
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeAgent View Post

Test drove the new M2 over the weekend. It had the standard roof (with the sunroof). I like to position my seat fairly high, so I'm looking out the upper portion of the windshield, and I'm also a bit on the taller side at 6'1". I found I had to sit a bit lower than I would like so my hair wasn't rubbing on the headliner.

Now, it seems to be pretty commonly said that the carbon roof option (which deletes the sunroof) adds headroom. Before I option that on my build, does anyone know exactly how much headroom is gained above the front seats? Trying to decide if that $2,600 is worth it

Thanks in advance.
I am 6 ft and fit perfectly inside the carbon roof option. I like to ride a bit low however. I think the carbon roof adds to the "M" appeal of the M2. IMO- without the carbon roof looks very plain. Aside from the looks aspect, it reduces weight by about 40+lbs. Can't say how much it adds in terms compared to the sun roof option, but I don't think there is a huge difference. The extra $$ was well worth it for me as I wouldn't drive the M2 without the CF roof option.
Appreciate 1
      10-30-2023, 09:52 AM   #3
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Quote:

Thanks in advance.
I've tried to find this info before with no luck. Best you can do online is take a look at the BMW configurators 3D view of the M2s interior and compare the sunroof to the CF roof. It seems the CF roof adds quite a bit of headroom. If I were to make a guesstimate, I'd say around 1.5~1.7" more headroom. I also think getting the CF is worth it. It not only looks good but removes quite a bit of weight up top.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
ronin130131000.50
emm2wc0.00
ayilar16.00
      11-08-2023, 01:20 AM   #4
TheDrivenGarage
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 G82, BMW M2 G87 (Order)

I just got my car with the CF and in a sunroof car, at 6'5" (34 inch inseam), my head could touch the ceiling barely. But in the CF roof car I am clear! No touching at all. It's significant, so if you have any concern, go CF roof!
Appreciate 1
ayilar16.00
      11-08-2023, 12:32 PM   #5
FryCookOnVenus
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G87 (Preorder), Toyota 4Runner

Quote:

Thanks in advance.
When it comes to head room, my wife says the stick shift is far more intrusive than the sunroof, but I think she’s just worried the truck drivers will see her.
Appreciate 5
M2siast5916.50
ToneM2148.50
c1pher4674.50
baron951706.50
kev129.50
      11-08-2023, 01:23 PM   #6
FreeAgent
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDrivenGarage View Post
I just got my car with the CF and in a sunroof car, at 6'5" (34 inch inseam), my head could touch the ceiling barely. But in the CF roof car I am clear! No touching at all. It's significant, so if you have any concern, go CF roof!
Super helpful, thank you!
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2023, 01:24 PM   #7
FreeAgent
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FryCookOnVenus View Post
When it comes to head room, my wife says the stick shift is far more intrusive than the sunroof, but I think she’s just worried the truck drivers will see her.
Lol, well played.
Appreciate 2
      11-08-2023, 01:28 PM   #8
NewToM
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 G87 Brooklyn Grey

Garage List
2024 BMW M2 G87  [9.12]
Quote:
What’s your tint level?
Appreciate 1
      11-08-2023, 05:43 PM   #9
xxyion
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Competition xDrive

I’m 6’3” and optioned the carbon roof. However I did also option the carbon buckets as I like to sit low in my cars. Don’t have the car yet but sat in one with both and had plenty of head clearance
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2024, 07:29 PM   #10
ayilar
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: FWB

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDrivenGarage View Post
Regular seats, or carbon buckets? I looked but could not find that info in your other posts. Thx!
2008 C350, Steel grey, 7A (sold)
2005 SC230k, 6MT (sold).
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2024, 08:36 PM   #11
Smilodon
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '24 M2

This does seem to be a difficult specification to find and is very important to some. Maybe a standard location can be determined and folks can just take measurements and compare.

Give me a setup (seat position, etc.) and a couple of measurement points and I'll run out to the garage with a tape measure. I have standard seats and a CF roof.

I'll add that I have a manual transmission, because for some odd reason that seems to make a difference on everything!
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2024, 08:44 PM   #12
abrandonment
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

How can you be specific about seat position?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2024, 10:36 PM   #13
toprarnen
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: IS350

Bottom it out, forward most position, etc. I'm just really interested to see if there's a difference between CF roof and sunroof for the rear seats, given the angle and partial-retract nature of the sunroof
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2024, 07:50 AM   #14
abrandonment
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by toprarnen View Post
Bottom it out, forward most position, etc. I'm just really interested to see if there's a difference between CF roof and sunroof for the rear seats, given the angle and partial-retract nature of the sunroof
You can eyeball that there is more with the CF roof.. how much I couldn't say.
Appreciate 0