BMW M2 Forums 2023+ (G87) BMW M2 G87 General Topics

04-22-2024, 02:32 AM   #1
sg13
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cayman GTS 4.0

991.2 vs G87 M2

I bought a new Cayman GTS 4.0 last year and simply love it. I can't get enough of it. It replaced my Corvette Grand Sport. My 540 lease is coming up and I like to replace it with either a 911 or M2. I do have a Model S and an X7 so carrying people is not a problem.

Now it may sound crazy to compare 911 to an M2 but both are two door, 4 seater high performance cars with ability to get a sunroof (a must have for me). I also prefer the looks and interior of the 991.2 over 992. Even though I am on the list for a 992 at a local dealer I keep looking for a 991.2.

M2 fully loaded the way I want would be less than $68K and a lightly used CPO 991.2 (S or 4S) would be around $120k. I know M2 is heavier but it drives very well and planted. I like M2 and prefer it's looks over the ugly M3/M4. I have driven 991.2 in S model also but not right after the m2 and it drove well also. My cayman GTS 4.0 drives better (and more fun) than both but I think I am used to driving it daily thats why? Very likely!

I had initially ordered a Z4 M40i in frozen gray to pair my sport garage with Cayman, scheduled to come end of next month but now I feel I may not use the convertible functionality very much so probably won't take delivery of it. So a 4 seater coupe it will have to be.

I don't track but I am a decent spirited driver. What would you pick over these two? With M2 I save $45K. Even when money is not that much of a big issue, M2 is very tempting car with savings. Anybody has both or experience in driving both extensively?
2022 BMW 540i XDrive MSport
2021 BMW X7 40i M Sport
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2024, 03:25 AM   #2
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
I own a 991.2S and an M2. I love my 911 but have the M2 as a cheaper commuter car that’s still fun. I also owned a 718 GTS4.0 that I really loved and probably should have kept, but I do like the back seats on occasion of the. 911. The 911 is definitely faster and handles and drives better than the M2. The M2 ride is quite a bit harsher than the 911 believe it or not. However, the 911 has better steering, braking etc. If I could only have one, I’d get the 911. But that doesn’t make the M2 a bad option. One final thing, the 911 also get way better fuel economy and has a lot more range. I can go about 300 miles on a tank in the M2 in highway driving but I can go nearly 500 miles in the 911 driving the same way and in the same conditions. I have gotten 29-31mpg on many occasions in the 911.
Appreciate 5
Mr. Hankey1030.00
sg1359.00
clydefrog288.50
///M TOWN18312.50
      04-22-2024, 06:00 AM   #3
Mr. Hankey
Christmas Poo
Rep
Drives: Ford Expedition

I have to agree with c1pher, but would add it depends on what you want and what your use case for the M2 will be. For me the M2 will be a sporty but practical daily driver rather than daily driving our 8-person Ford Expedition that we need for towing and people hauling. For the M2's price/performance, nothing comes close other than used M3/M4 or older 911/Cayman/718 (for me). Like you I dislike the G8X looks even though they do drive better than the F8X platform having tracked both, so again the M2 is a no-brainer there for me as a re-packaged M4. The Cayman 4.0 GTS is a FANTASTIC little track/autocross car having tracked those as well as 911s, and I would happily daily drive one of those but with kids going to college, the M2 is a much more affordable option.

Yes the M2 is inexpensive relative to a 911. The difference between a 911 and a Cayman GTS 4.0 is much less than either of those to an M2. Do you need the extra space of the M2? Do you really want a 911 and not a Cayman (ie. do you replace the Cayman with a 911?)? The Cayman is a really great and sporty light driving car, so I imagine that would stay.

Relative to a good specimen 991.2 911 the M2 is relatively easy to order and inexpensive (BMW will build many). You could pick up an M2 and if you dislike it take a relatively small financial hit and get rid of it for a 911. Picking up a 911 used and deciding you'd rather an M2 is a more expensive proposition. So get the M2 and drive it, if you like/love it and it fits the use case, keep it. If you still need to scratch the itch for a 911, easy.
      04-22-2024, 06:40 AM   #4
Montaver
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 & M340i LCI

I owned a 718 GT4 (and a 981 GT4 before that) that I just traded for an M2. GT4 is an excellent car on track, a little bit frustrating at times on the street because of the gearing which the GTS also shares. The M2 is a really great recipe, and a ton of performance for the money. It’s whimsical, brutish, fun. Whilst the Porsche will have better inputs, I wouldn’t say they handle ‘better’ nescessarily depending on what you are doing. If your getting a manual, the Porsche has superior ergonomics as the center arm rest is much lower. If you enjoy modding, there is much more you can do to an M2. Personally I probably wouldn’t buy a cooking 911 variant, despite the fact they have a ton of appeal. The magic of modern Porsche that really sets them apart and something BMW cannot match is the naturally aspirated engines, and those are in the GT cars. In turbo land BMW straight sixes are king.
Appreciate 1
sg1359.00
      04-22-2024, 07:58 AM   #5
RockCrusher
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2023 ZB M2 6-speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by sg13 View Post
I bought a new Cayman GTS 4.0 last year and simply love it. I can't get enough of it. It replaced my Corvette Grand Sport. My 540 lease is coming up and I like to replace it with either a 911 or M2. I do have a Model S and an X7 so carrying people is not a problem.

Now it may sound crazy to compare 911 to an M2 but both are two door, 4 seater high performance cars with ability to get a sunroof (a must have for me). I also prefer the looks and interior of the 991.2 over 992. Even though I am on the list for a 992 at a local dealer I keep looking for a 991.2.

M2 fully loaded the way I want would be less than $68K and a lightly used CPO 991.2 (S or 4S) would be around $120k. I know M2 is heavier but it drives very well and planted. I like M2 and prefer it's looks over the ugly M3/M4. I have driven 991.2 in S model also but not right after the m2 and it drove well also. My cayman GTS 4.0 drives better (and more fun) than both but I think I am used to driving it daily thats why? Very likely!

I had initially ordered a Z4 M40i in frozen gray to pair my sport garage with Cayman, scheduled to come end of next month but now I feel I may not use the convertible functionality very much so probably won't take delivery of it. So a 4 seater coupe it will have to be.

I don't track but I am a decent spirited driver. What would you pick over these two? With M2 I save $45K. Even when money is not that much of a big issue, M2 is very tempting car with savings. Anybody has both or experience in driving both extensively?
If you love the Cayman GTS so much why not keep it, find a way to keep it? Of all the cars I have owned/driven my 2008 Cayman S was I think the best in terms of its handling/performance and cost to purchase and keep on the road.

Have not been in a newer 911 but I drove my 996 Turbo for 8 years and 150K miles. Concurrent with my time with my Turbo I owned a Boxster (16 years, 317K miles).

I owned front engine rear wheel drive coupes before and after the Turbo. Before: Mustang GT, Camaro Z28, (2006) GTO; After: Two Challenger Scat Packs, one Challenger Hellcat, a BMW 230i and now a 230xi and my 2023 M2. The coupes were nice cars though some were nicer than others...

Some were faster than my Turbo and the cars after have more modern options but none could match the Turbo and its driving experience.

It was quite an eye opener when after I bought my first Challenger Scat Pack (a 2018 with a 8-speed automatic) I drove it home from the dealer -- about a 20 mile drive -- on a nice "back road" that I had driven countless times before with my Turbo and my Boxster. A dealer employee was driving my Turbo.

After putting the new Challenger away I use the Turbo to take the dealer employee back to the dealer. I drove back on this same road. I was really struck by how well suited to this road the Turbo was. Up and down the gears, braking, cornering, I realized how good I had it with Turbo. Oh, I was not showing off or driving on the edge. Just driving the Turbo.

But I had decided that my time with the Turbo (and the Boxster) was at an end. I wanted to drive other cars.

The only car that could match and in some ways surpass the Turbo was my 2008 Cayman S. (I owned this Cayman S just a short 4 weeks before I bought the Turbo. Lost the Cayman to an accident -- not my fault -- and (short version) after all the dust settled ended up in the Turbo.)

Like my 2002 Boxster the Cayman S had exquisite road manners. If I had a good Porsche dealer in town I'd own at least a Cayman S and maybe a 911.

Now while none of the front engine rear wheel drive coupes could match the Turbo -- with everything taken into consideration -- the M2 ain't no slouch. It certainly is the best car compared to the other front engine rear wheel drive cars I've owned.

My Turbo had 4 seats. And the 991.2 and M2 have 4 seats. With my Turbo I found the rear seating was (just) ok in a pinch for a short distance but for carrying more than 2 people for any distance and in comfort neither the Porsche or M2 are the answer. Although I believe the M2's rear seating would be less punishing than the Porsche rear seating.

Bottom line is the 991.2 would be a nice car. So too would the M2. But they are quite different cars.

Thus in my opinion the 991.2 vs. the M2 is not a reasonable comparison. While both are in their own right excellent cars there is too much difference between them. I would offer that while the M2 is a fine car -- did I mention I love mine! -- the M2 would not deliver the same driving experience as the 991.2.

The decision you are facing is what driving experience do you think you'd enjoy more? Based on my experience I'd say the 991.2 would be more enjoyable, albeit you'd pay more for the experience. It would be up to you of course to decide how big, or not, an issue the difference in price would be.
Appreciate 3
sg1359.00
Ronin76827.00
Mr. Hankey1030.00
      04-22-2024, 08:47 AM   #6
JMcLellan
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2

A 991.2 was one of the other options I was looking at when I was shopping for my M2. I didn't want to spend over $85K so I was only limited to like a 2017/2018 911 carrera base model which would have been sweet but I really wanted an S or 4s which put me out of budget. I wanted the 911 more than the M2 but money was my limiting factor. For the $68K sticker price I paid for my car I am very happy with what I got in return.

Another factor is future resale if that matters at all. The 911 will be the far better bet.
Vinknee90.00
sg1359.00
Ronin76827.00
      04-22-2024, 09:09 AM   #7
abrandonment
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

Your garage must be massive.

I'm with you on cross shopping the 911 and M2.. the savings was great for sure. We diverge on the 991 vs 992 -- the only 911 I've been into aesthetically is the 992, I almost pulled the trigger but I drive so little (3-4k a year) that spending that much on a car didn't make sense.

Signed... Happy with my M2, but still look when a 992 passes.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2024, 02:31 PM   #8
sg13
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by abrandonment View Post
Your garage must be massive.

I'm with you on cross shopping the 911 and M2.. the savings was great for sure. We diverge on the 991 vs 992 -- the only 911 I've been into aesthetically is the 992, I almost pulled the trigger but I drive so little (3-4k a year) that spending that much on a car didn't make sense.

Signed... Happy with my M2, but still look when a 992 passes.
I do have a 6 car garage but own 4 cars and a couple of motorcycles already. Next time I plan on building 10 car garage +/- a small home connected to it

I like the 992 on exterior a lot but the interior is just lifeless. I can drive manual just fine but prefer PDK and the gear selector is just embarassing. Try deleting a connected phone from the PCM screen of the new Porsche 992 and you will pull your hair. Unnecessarity complicated but I may feel the same about these awkwardly placed extra wide screens in the new BMWs. The designers of these systems need to be fired and not decently.

In my opinion 991.2 is classic on the outside and inside, even though I would prefer the quad exhaust with PSE instead of two small pipes placed awkwardly. Leaning towards the 991.2 but the problem is finding the combo I want. May have to compromise a bit. If I decide to get a 991.2 I may take delivery of the Z4. Need to have a sport bimmer in the stable
2021 BMW X7 40i M Sport
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2024, 05:55 PM   #9
JABCAT
Professor
Rep
Drives: '23 M2 & '22 X3 M Competition

I've never owned a Porsche but have driven a lot of them over the years. The reason I've never owned one is simply because while they are great cars, to me their greatness is not equivalent to their price (new or used), to me.

I've pretty much only owned performance vehicles, save a handful of the 40+ I've owned to date. I can't speak to a comparison between the M2 and a 991.2/992, but I do have 7,968 miles on my M2 since picking it up on Nov 28th.

I really, really like this car. In my garage I have a 2011 Callaway supercharged carbon edition Z06 with Z07 ultimate performance track pkg. My wife has a '22 X3M Competition. The Z06 sees maybe ~1,000 mi/year, but has pretty much been on the tender under cover since I picked up the M2.

I originally really disliked the large screen in the M2 when I saw in photos & on the BMW configurator. In-person though, I like it. The auto in the M2 is great as well. I have the standard sport seats which I find excellent. I wish I could put a pair in my Z06. I've never liked Porsche seats or thought their interior was all that special.

I don't think the used Porsche is $50k better than the M2. Re: the Z4, it would be a great weekend car for my wife, but not something I would drive in place of an M2.

Good luck with your choice.
Appreciate 3
aerobod3638.50
sg1359.00
Ravenseal2811.00
      04-25-2024, 04:21 PM   #10
M2Sky
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G87 M2

I have both 991.2 GTS and obv the G87.

Full disclosure I’ve never driven them back to back same day as my Porsche lives at my home in UK and M2 is at my home in Thailand. I have driven them less than 24 hrs apart though.

As times gone by i can say easily I’d take the Porsche if I could only have 1. It’s an feeling based decision it’s not any faster etc than the m2. I like that it’s simplistic and less annoying with all the electronics and is a lighter less synthetic feeling car. Sounds better too imo. Gearbox is snappier if PDK. It can take a load of luggage if you put the back seats down. .2 has apple car play too which is great. I’ve done monster trips in it.

M2 I love it. It’s much quieter in the cabin softer ride generally but it’s closer than you think especially if you lower the m2. Better audio, the HK in the m2 is better than the Burmester in the 991. I don’t have carbon buckets so it’s also a touch more comfy. Interior leather is tougher less supple so dog goes everywhere with me in it and he doesn’t scratch it to death. Would not risk it in the 911. Steering is lighter around town.

The 991.2 GTS is close to perfection for me, it’s more raw than the 992 which is why I haven’t moved on from it.

I got the m2 in Thailand because I needed the rear seats here. Family are always coming to stay and I also had an itch for another M. Variety is the spice of life and all that crap.
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
      04-30-2024, 01:32 PM   #11
sg13
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2Sky View Post

M2 I love it. It’s much quieter in the cabin softer ride generally but it’s closer than you think especially if you lower the m2.

The 991.2 GTS is close to perfection for me, it’s more raw than the 992 which is why I haven’t moved on from it.
That's why the question is M2 vs 991.2 and not 992

When I test drove, the 992 drove like a comfortable sport sedan in comparison to Cayman. I don't need a sports sedan.

I have a Cayman GTS 4.0, so leaning heavily towards the M2 at the moment unless I find a 991.2 GTS exactly the way I want over next couple of months. Now the question is whether to wait for 2025 M2 announcement and ordering, or take the available 2024 M2 allocation
2021 BMW X7 40i M Sport
Appreciate 1
M2Sky97.50
      04-30-2024, 02:18 PM   #12
M2Sky
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
That's why the question is M2 vs 991.2 and not 992

When I test drove, the 992 drove like a comfortable sport sedan in comparison to Cayman. I don't need a sports sedan.

I have a Cayman GTS 4.0, so leaning heavily towards the M2 at the moment unless I find a 991.2 GTS exactly the way I want over next couple of months. Now the question is whether to wait for 2025 M2 announcement and ordering, or take the available 2024 M2 allocation
Personally I wouldn’t wait, there’s a value in time enjoying the car over any minor changes.
Appreciate 3
      04-30-2024, 07:42 PM   #13
clutchdj
Colonel
Rep
Drives: a few cars

Quote:

Full disclosure I’ve never driven them back to back same day as my Porsche lives at my home in UK and M2 is at my home in Thailand. I have driven them less than 24 hrs apart though.

As times gone by i can say easily I’d take the Porsche if I could only have 1. It’s an feeling based decision it’s not any faster etc than the m2. I like that it’s simplistic and less annoying with all the electronics and is a lighter less synthetic feeling car. Sounds better too imo. Gearbox is snappier if PDK. It can take a load of luggage if you put the back seats down. .2 has apple car play too which is great. I’ve done monster trips in it.

M2 I love it. It’s much quieter in the cabin softer ride generally but it’s closer than you think especially if you lower the m2. Better audio, the HK in the m2 is better than the Burmester in the 991. I don’t have carbon buckets so it’s also a touch more comfy. Interior leather is tougher less supple so dog goes everywhere with me in it and he doesn’t scratch it to death. Would not risk it in the 911. Steering is lighter around town.

I got the m2 in Thailand because I needed the rear seats here. Family are always coming to stay and I also had an itch for another M. Variety is the spice of life and all that crap.
what color is the gts, it looks great on that car.
Appreciate 1
M2Sky97.50
      04-30-2024, 09:07 PM   #14
sg13
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchdj View Post

Gulf blue? I am guessing!
2021 BMW X7 40i M Sport
Appreciate 1
M2Sky97.50
      04-30-2024, 09:12 PM   #15
sg13
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Personally I wouldn’t wait, there’s a value in time enjoying the car over any minor changes.
Right!
Also there is no chance that 2025 if comes in CS version, will have a sunroof. I need sunroof on the M2 if I get it so for me the obvious option is the current model.

Are they bringing changes to regular M2 in 2025 or just the CS model?

Two other issues are the huge screen and absence of good colors. If the newer model come with 8.5 idrive and has better integrated design into the dashboard (like the 5 series), it would be bummer.
2021 BMW X7 40i M Sport

Last edited by sg13; 04-30-2024 at 11:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2024, 05:51 AM   #16
M2Sky
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchdj View Post
Quote:
Gulf blue? I am guessing!
Yea It’s Gulf Blue. Top marks to you sir.
Appreciate 1
clutchdj1885.50
      05-01-2024, 06:02 AM   #17
M2Sky
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Right!
Also there is no chance that 2025 if comes in CS version, will have a sunroof. I need sunroof on the M2 if I get it so for me the obvious option is the current model.

Are they bringing changes to regular M2 in 2025 or just the CS model?

Two other issues are the huge screen and absence of good colors. If the newer model come with 8.5 idrive and has better integrated design into the dashboard (like the 5 series), it would be bummer.
I get what your saying but there’s always something better coming along if these are your main pain points you could wait and see, if the changes don’t suit you could grab a bargain on a pre updated car. If I was in your shoes though I would keep the Cayman 4.0 given you have other more practical cars already.

Another thing to consider is many combustion engines cars model updates have been pushed back last couple of years as brands try to extend the life of the current range as they focus on EV. You could end up waiting longer than you think at which point my original thoughts come back which is just to get one and enjoy it now.

I don’t think anyone except BMW HQ know what’s truly in store for the M2 over the next years.
Appreciate 1
sg1359.00
      Yesterday, 04:56 PM   #18
Damage Inc
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

I went from 991.1 4S to 991.1 GTS to 17 M2.

It was my daily driver at the time. While the 911 is a superior car to the M2 in every way, it was $120k vs. $49k. The M2 offered 95% of the driving experience for daily driving, at 60% less cost.

So I flipped to the M2. Plus the 911 wasn't enough "experience" for me in non GT3 form. I added an R8 to the M2 , then had the perfect mix of daily driving fun (M2) then weekend exotic (R8 Performance).

I think about how the M2 is a "budget" 911 as its a practical, fun, usable, around town sports car. And its blends in, its not special enough to warrant attention from a non enthusiast.

While mine is an F87, G87 is basically the same concept except newer and more refined than the F87.

Nice problem to have.

Past Performance Cars: 01 M3, 05 M3, 06 M5, 08 M6, 08 M3, 11 M3, 13 M3, 15 M3, 911 C4S, 911 GTS, 17 M2,R8 V8, R8 RWS
Appreciate 4
c1pher4674.50
sg1359.00