04-14-2024, 04:53 PM   #1
ConfusedM240
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M240I

A Dilemma Regarding My M240

Hi all,

First post here

I've had my G42 M240I for over two years now. I love the car, but my biggest complaint is the Pirelli Run flat tires it came on.

In two years I have had 3 flat tires (Two from air bubbles forming, one from a road hazard). On top of that, the ride feels incredibly harsh when going over even the slightest bumps. I live in an area with horrible road conditions, which makes this worse.

I have just under two years left on my lease and I have a few options:
1. Just deal with it
2. Get a new set of non-run flat tires
3. Trade the car in for something softer

Thoughts? Has anyone made the switch to non-run flats and how big of a difference did it make on ride quality?
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2024, 05:08 PM   #2
Pentland
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i (G42)

Trading your car because of RFTs is like cutting your arm off because you have long finger nails.

The solution is very simple. Change Tyres to start marked Michelin PS4s.
If you are finding the ride particularly harsh, 18” wheels might be more suitable.
Appreciate 8
Rdurty2685.50
KJ10498.50
AlexC2er108.00
Jashue190.50
Kay.Say15.00
TJZ67201842.50
      04-14-2024, 05:14 PM   #3
VegasG42
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M240i xDrive

What Pentland just said -

Just spend the $1k for a new set of non-runflat tires

In the meantime -

What are your tire PSI's at ? The maximum recommend ? Try letting out a few psi in each tire
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2024, 06:13 PM   #4
BG42
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M240ix

I swapped mine for ps4s made a pretty big difference. I only last 800 miles and had a bubble in a side wall there are alot of people who have issues with the tires.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2024, 07:43 AM   #5
RockCrusher
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2023 ZB M2 6-speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConfusedM240 View Post
Hi all,

First post here

I've had my G42 M240I for over two years now. I love the car, but my biggest complaint is the Pirelli Run flat tires it came on.

In two years I have had 3 flat tires (Two from air bubbles forming, one from a road hazard). On top of that, the ride feels incredibly harsh when going over even the slightest bumps. I live in an area with horrible road conditions, which makes this worse.

I have just under two years left on my lease and I have a few options:
1. Just deal with it
2. Get a new set of non-run flat tires
3. Trade the car in for something softer

Thoughts? Has anyone made the switch to non-run flats and how big of a difference did it make on ride quality?
Switching from run flat tires to non run flat tires given the horrible road conditions and the fact I believe road conditions contributed to the air bubbles forming would likely have the replacement tires suffering.

(As an aside, lost a run flat on my JCW after hitting a pothole. No immediate signs of any issues but woke up the next morning to a nice air bubble on the sidewall of the tire and a low tire pressure warning. But, and this is where I came to appreciate run flat tires, I drove the car 10 miles to the MINI dealer to get new tires fitted.)

The car might ride a bit better with the non run flats mounted.

Have to mention my 2024 230xi came with Pirelli run flats:

Pirelli Cinturato P7
225/40 R19
All Season
Run Flat
Load Speed Index: 93V
Load: 93(1433lbs)
V: 149mph (Max)

Tread Wear: 500
Traction: A
Temperature: A

and I have no complaints. The ride is good. Grip is good. Did get a puncture in one rear tire and had to replace it. But this happens. My 2023 M2 got a puncture in both rear tires -- about 1500 miles apart. Fortunately both tires were repairable. And before that my Hellcat's driver side rear tire got a puncture and I had to replace both rear tires.

The M2 tires are high performance Michelin tires. The Hellcat tires came from the factory with Pirelli high performance (?) all season tires

I'm kind of reluctant to toss otherwise good tires so I'd just replace the bad/damaged run flat tire with a new tire identical to what's on the car.

IOWs, just live with the car/tires.

When the lease is up then you can shop for another car with tires you believe are more to your liking.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2024, 08:12 AM   #6
BobHen
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 2022 M240i

I got a set of non-run flat tires.

I'm not a fan of run-flat tires. After a week, I swapped the Pirelli all seasons for a set of "non"-run-flat Continental Extreme Contact all seasons. I tossed a fix-a-flat kit in the trunk. Rides better with excellent grip. And if I develop a slow leak by picking up a nail, I can have it plugged and not have to buy a new tire.

If you get a sidewall blow out with a run flat you are calling for a tow the same as with a non-run flat.

I've owned my M240i Xdrive for 2-years and really love the car. Please don't toss the baby out with the bathwater.

Bob
Appreciate 1
koopa81.50
      04-17-2024, 10:39 AM   #7
koopa
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 M240i xDrive

Garage List
I have the DWS06+ on my M340i and had them on my C7 Corvette as well, excellent tires with a comfy ride, good handling in the dry, wet, or snow, and are pretty quiet. For all season tires, I'd definitely recommend these or the Pilot Sport 4 A/S. My M340i doesn't have adaptive suspension and the tires helped slightly, but not enough to overcome the sport suspension. With you being in Canada, maybe you also have the m sport suspension on your M240i. If that's the case, the only thing other than getting a car equipped with adaptive that will make a big difference is coilovers. Not worth the hassle for me, so I'm looking at an M240i this weekend with all the options I didn't get in my car.

In my 20+ years of driving I've only had two flats. One was a complete blow out. The other happened a few months ago where I had a nail in the sidewall that resulted in a slow leak. I was able to drive on it for a few miles without using fix-a-flat. In either case, the run flats wouldn't have helped me a ton (unless you think the nail wouldn't have punctured the stiffer sidewall of a run flat tire but I have my doubts). If I was in the middle of nowhere with the slow leak, a run flat may have helped, but fix a flat would have probably been good enough to get to a tire shop.

The post above that noted a bubble in the sidewall on the run flats from hitting a pothole, I had the same experience with my stock Pirellis. In my opinion, the super stiff sidewall is the reason for the failure and a regular tire would have likely just absorbed the impact of the pothole without issue.

With all that said, I don't think the pros of run flats are worth all the cons and extra cost.

Last edited by koopa; 04-17-2024 at 11:52 AM..
Appreciate 2
      04-24-2024, 09:30 AM   #8
PP3121
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240i

After all this "side wall blowout" talk, finally had this happen.

Yup! Tow truck to dealership; new tire replacement needed; don't have them in stock; need to leave car for a couple of days!
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2024, 06:29 AM   #9
WilcoJunoHotel
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 M240i RWD

A friend of mine has had 2 sets of Pirelli runflats on his 330. Both had sidewall issues. He is hoping to have better luck with his new Bridgestones runflats.

Not sure about runflats but sidewall issues on non-runflat tires is extremely dangerous.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2024, 07:17 AM   #10
MPR
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 BMW M240i

+1 vote for getting new tires instead of replacing the car.

I’m running Continental extreme contact all seasons after first trying Michelin AS4’s and not liking them.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2024, 08:57 AM   #11
AlexC2er
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: G42 M240i RWD

Would you amputate you arm because your nails were too long? Lol just replace the tires with PS4S
Appreciate 1
      04-25-2024, 01:01 PM   #12
Pentland
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i (G42)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexC2er View Post
Would you amputate you arm because your nails were too long? Lol just replace the tires with PS4S
you even appreciated post #2!

Think we can close this one down now. No response from the OPs one and only post.
Appreciate 3
AlexC2er108.00
MPR1811.00