home
BMW 2 Series Forums (G42) G42 2-Series General Topics

10-10-2023, 08:42 AM   #1
zeonxabi
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i 2023

Rattle Coming from C Pillar

New 2023 G42 owner (CPO). After driving the car on some not so smooth roads I noticed a very annoying rattle coming from the C pillars. Passenger side is much worse than driver but it's is both. Sounds like something is loose. Can reproduce by tapping on the trim piece with the airbag plate. I can't find instructions for removing that trim piece to inspect.

Anyone else have this issue and find a fix?
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2023, 12:15 PM   #2
LivingInSalt
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M240i

no rattles after a year and 11,000 miles here
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2023, 02:26 PM   #3
Littlecoupe
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240i

Some G42 had to have some work done on the C-pillar airbags as a recall. I wonder if yours was not put back together properly. Most rear rattles come from the parcel shelf.

First thing, the dealer should be able to easily fix this since you can replicate the noise by tapping. It's when you don't know where it's coming from that they can't seem to fix it.

Coconut did some rattle fixes in the rear of his. He can likely explain how the C pillars come out. If I were to guess, there may be a screw behind the piece that says "Airbag" (this is how the old BMW A pillars used to be, but now they don't have this screw like in my F22), and then it's likely just held in with retaining clips. I would guess that the order or removal is put down rear seats, then remove C pillars, then the parcel shelf (if needed).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut View Post
Took apart nearly the entire rear interior to get to a rattle on the rear deck. The cause was the plastic rear deck vent touching and vibrating against the metal rear deck. I put 3mm closed cell foam from Resonix on the metal rear deck right where the long plastic vent goes, this fixed the rattle.

Appreciate 0
      10-10-2023, 02:51 PM   #4
zeonxabi
Registered
Rep

Awesome. Thanks for this info. I think you're right about a previous repair/recall. I took a closer look and the passenger side trim is not interfacing with the parcel shelf correctly so it was definitely removed at some point. Will probably take it to the dealer to have them fix.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2023, 08:25 AM   #5
zeonxabi
Registered
Rep

Found the issue. In Coconut's picture showing the backside of the C pillar trim you can see a metal clip that is attached to a strap (circled in photo). The strap is attached lower on the trim piece and the hook attaches above (supposedly holding something down). In my car that hook was not attached and was hanging down causing the rattle.

I did not want to pull a bunch of trim out to get to it so I'll let the dealership take care of it.

Hope this will help anyone else who has this issue.

Name:  Screenshot 2023-10-12 at 8.18.02 AM.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  349.9 KB
Appreciate 1
pw490.50